Checkmate - the song

vicious

remember when the clip of "checkmate" leaked? was anything ever mentioned about it?

i know some say it was a fake but it sounds exactly like Axl. and too be honest i was disappointed the didn't have it on CD

for those who haven't heard it heres a youtube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIABzOU37m0

i'm not sure if its allowed to post that link(mods feel free to remove it) but you'll find it easily on youtube

In the 2008 online chats Axl said that the song has a working title of "Jackie Chan" - meaning there is no "true" title yet for the song, but it is indeed real

Edited by WhazUp

Based on the clip, that is IMO by far the best GNR song release since UYI. However, keep in mind that when the clip of prostitute (i think it was) first leaked, everyone thought that was going to be a heavy rocker too, but when the whole song leaked we all realized it was one of the lightest pansy songs ever. :rofl-lol: If checkmate turns out to be some pussy song like prostitute, i'm going to off myself.

i don't like prostitute at all, but music is subjective and people have different opinions. :lol: But regardless whether you like the song or not, you can definitely say that the song isn't heavy, and certainly not as heavy as everyone thought based on the leaked clip.

My point is that it's hard to judge the rest of Jackie Chan based on the short clip... I really hope the whole song is that heavy, as we really haven't had any hard rockers from the new guns (exceptions: SR and OMG).

somehow, GNR music transformed from very heavy rock into piano hip hop ballads. :(

Edited by nonlinear

i don't like prostitute at all, but music is subjective and people have different opinions. :lol: But regardless whether you like the song or not, you can definitely say that the song isn't heavy, and certainly not as heavy as everyone thought based on the leaked clip.

Was there a leaked clip of Prostitute?

Was there a leaked clip of Prostitute?

not sure, but Axl always played the piano parts to it before NR back in the '02 tour

Based on the clip, that is IMO by far the best GNR song release since UYI. However, keep in mind that when the clip of prostitute (i think it was) first leaked, everyone thought that was going to be a heavy rocker too, but when the whole song leaked we all realized it was one of the lightest pansy songs ever.

If memory serves me right Prostitute was first leaked in full as "New Song #2" or something like that, I don't recall any clips of it leaking before the full song

My point is that it's hard to judge the rest of Jackie Chan based on the short clip... I really hope the whole song is that heavy, as we really haven't had any hard rockers from the new guns (exceptions: SR and OMG).

somehow, GNR music transformed from very heavy rock into piano hip hop ballads. :(

And CD and Better and Scraped and Riad.

I think it will be pretty awesome if it's like that the whole song I agree with nonlinear that I will be disappointed if it turns out like prostitute which is not a bad song just a little slow. Also I think the 37 seconds of this song it will sound weird if they go to a slow song but how am I supposed to know.

Riad is a rocker I suppose, but I wouldn't call ANY of the others rockers. Scraped and CD have fast-ish, distorted guitar, however the lyrics and overal paces of those songs are quite slow. Better is a pop rock song, and ANYTHING but heavy.

Based on the clip, that is IMO by far the best GNR song release since UYI. However, keep in mind that when the clip of prostitute (i think it was) first leaked, everyone thought that was going to be a heavy rocker too, but when the whole song leaked we all realized it was one of the lightest pansy songs ever. :rofl-lol: If checkmate turns out to be some pussy song like prostitute, i'm going to off myself.

Please do.

Please do.

seriously, 5300 posts in 6 months??? get a fucking life, dickhead.

Prostitute leaked in full with the other antiquiet leaks and there was never a clip of it that leaked prior. A guy did say it was a rocker who listened to it years before. He had a British accent and said what was known as song #2 was not Prostitute. He obviously was mistaken unless the demo he heard was reworked dramatically into what it is now.

Edited by Sweersa

I do have a life. I have a job and a family.

I am just saying if you are going to keep talking out of your ass you should probably go and do what said above.

"talking out of my ass" - because I have a different opinion than you do? :fuckyou:

Prostitute leaked in full with the other antiquiet leaks and there was never a clip of it that leaked prior. A guy did say it was a rocker who listened to it years before. He had a British accent and said what was known as song #2 was not Prostitute. He obviously was mistaken unless the demo he heard was reworked dramatically into what it is now.

I was pretty sure it was prostitute, but not that I think about it it might have been scraped. but it doesn't really matter what song it was, all i'm saying is that we can't judge an entire song based on a 0:16 s clip.

Yeah I remember reading somewhere that someone who heard (or claimed to have heard) the album claimed Prostitute was like Nightrain or something along those lines :tongue2:

Also Paul Buckmaster described the song as "fire and ice" I think that people thought based on that description it was a "heavier" rock song. To be fair, there are sections in Prostitute that are have some big, loud guitars that could be considered "heavy" if you were speaking in relative terms.

Riad is a rocker I suppose, but I wouldn't call ANY of the others rockers. Scraped and CD have fast-ish, distorted guitar, however the lyrics and overal paces of those songs are quite slow. Better is a pop rock song, and ANYTHING but heavy.

The mid section in Better is heavy than most of the album. Also, Scraped's pace and lyrics are far from slow.