If the lineups were reversed ...

GnR Chris

Listening to old Chinese demos and reading about the stuff surrounding Guns N' Roses in the late '90s/early '00s got me thinking.

Axl seemed really determined back then to break Gn'R into something new with his all-new lineup. He was reportedly experimenting with vastly different sounds and he just seemed to have an attitude about him that suggested he was truly looking to forge another chapter in the "Guns N' Roses" legacy. It was a totally different beast.

The current lineup is a more polished live act, but they're also more of a glorified cover band. They play well, and they play hard, and the live shows are fantastic. But the more they tour the more they just seem like a nostalgia force to me. There's nothing new. It's all old and other people's songs. They play note-perfect versions of other people's songs.

The IRS demo someone posted in the 2000 Intentions thread got my blood pumping though. I like it. I hadn't heard that one for some reason. I didn't think I'd like this "industrial," crazy Gn'R. I sure as fuck didn't back then. They were TOO different.

But again, that IRS demo, then watching the Nightrain video someone posted where you had the other guys screaming the "Nightrain" vocals over Axl ... back then I didn't like it. Today, I see it from a different perspective. They were different. They weren't trying to be the old guys.

So long story short, my question is, if the current lineup was Axl's first attempt at a "new" Gn'R but that Bucket/Finck lineup was what he had out there today, do you think people would more readily accept this band (mainstream media).

In the grand scheme of things, my question is silly and doesn't matter. And I'm not explaining it as clearly as I intended. But F it, still posting ...

Just coming from my own personal perspective, I couldn't accept anything under the name Gn'R back then if guys from he AfD lineup weren't involved. That created a lot of backlash. Retrospectively, a lot of what I hear and what I read Axl was doing makes me excited, then sad to see 12 years later absolutely nothing panned out. He may not feel he wasted those prime years of his life, but I feel he did. It was his last chance to really prove something and create his own version of Guns. It's too late now. I still think somewhere along the lines we'll get new music, but Guns is always going to be in the shadow of that guy in the top hat and that tall blond guy and so forth.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Axl, Buckethead, Robin Finck and Brain are great musicians and it's a shame they are not working together anymore. The current line-up is the worst version of GNR ever, art-wise. They don't produce and even when they release something new the chances of it being sub-par (specially with DJ) are big.

I didn't really understand your question so I'm just posting because I loved the 01,02 line-up.

Axl, Buckethead, Robin Finck and Brain are great musicians and it's a shame they are not working together anymore. The current line-up is the worst version of GNR ever, art-wise. They don't produce and even when they release something new the chances of it being sub-par (specially with DJ) are big.

I didn't really understand your question so I'm just posting because I loved the 01,02 line-up.

Jesus. I think you just summed up some of what I was babbling about in a few short sentences.

There was definitely something sinister and mysterious about that Bucket/Finck lineup.

I was just reminiscing about that time, basically. Maybe it should have been more of a statement. I'll try again.

The current version of Guns N' Roses seems to be just a note-perfect touring/cover act.

The Bucket/Finck lineup was something totally different. Axl was trying something new. He had a hunger to him (it seemed). But I don't think people were willing to accept a new Gn'R at that time.

You can't rewrite what's been done. But had Axl actually gotten CD out back then and toured and acted more like a real band, who knows what could have been with Finck and Bucket. Half those cats probably wouldn't have gotten frustrated and bailed. The best thing I can say about today's lineup is the consistency. But I don't see anything special there in terms of creative.

I think it would all depend on how they were used by Axl, but I think it wouldn't be as "fan friendly" as the current band is. For example, all of the VIP tickets of meeting band members wouldn't of happened, as it's something that the 2002 band were never into. You also wouldn't have any interviews or guitar magazine reviews with members, because again, it's something the 2002 band never did.

All this is why I fuckin LOVED the 2002 version of GN'R, which is because they were SO anti-social, and it was like they only existed onstage........and then dissapeared off the face of the earth. rock1

For the first time in 2002, you had a band that matched Axls' mad/delusional view of the world, and you had a band that were probably CRAZIER than anyone would ever imagine of Axl. :krider:

Edited by One.In.A.Million

Listening to old Chinese demos and reading about the stuff surrounding Guns N' Roses in the late '90s/early '00s got me thinking.

Axl seemed really determined back then to break Gn'R into something new with his all-new lineup. He was reportedly experimenting with vastly different sounds and he just seemed to have an attitude about him that suggested he was truly looking to forge another chapter in the "Guns N' Roses" legacy. It was a totally different beast.

The current lineup is a more polished live act, but they're also more of a glorified cover band. They play well, and they play hard, and the live shows are fantastic. But the more they tour the more they just seem like a nostalgia force to me. There's nothing new. It's all old and other people's songs. They play note-perfect versions of other people's songs.

The IRS demo someone posted in the 2000 Intentions thread got my blood pumping though. I like it. I hadn't heard that one for some reason. I didn't think I'd like this "industrial," crazy Gn'R. I sure as fuck didn't back then. They were TOO different.

But again, that IRS demo, then watching the Nightrain video someone posted where you had the other guys screaming the "Nightrain" vocals over Axl ... back then I didn't like it. Today, I see it from a different perspective. They were different. They weren't trying to be the old guys.

So long story short, my question is, if the current lineup was Axl's first attempt at a "new" Gn'R but that Bucket/Finck lineup was what he had out there today, do you think people would more readily accept this band (mainstream media).

In the grand scheme of things, my question is silly and doesn't matter. And I'm not explaining it as clearly as I intended. But F it, still posting ...

Just coming from my own personal perspective, I couldn't accept anything under the name Gn'R back then if guys from he AfD lineup weren't involved. That created a lot of backlash. Retrospectively, a lot of what I hear and what I read Axl was doing makes me excited, then sad to see 12 years later absolutely nothing panned out. He may not feel he wasted those prime years of his life, but I feel he did. It was his last chance to really prove something and create his own version of Guns. It's too late now. I still think somewhere along the lines we'll get new music, but Guns is always going to be in the shadow of that guy in the top hat and that tall blond guy and so forth.

I'm sorry. I stopped reading when you wrote "glorified cover band".

Slashite detected.

I would pay to see the 2012 lineup over the 90's lineup anyday. They play the songs better live than the so called original lineup ever did. With the new lineup I don't have to watch the lead guitarist stumble around like a stoner and a bassist that is so drunk he could sweat and get everyone in the stadium plastered. Sorry. But THIS IS GNR. Wake up. It's 2012. Adapt or fade away...

i love the 2001/2002 lineup like people have said there is something dark and twisted about that lineup almost like a "we mean fucking buisness" type of vibe with some great ideas that were really different. i like the current lineup alot but it feels more like a paint it by numbers, play it safe type of vibe IMO

I would pay to see the 2012 lineup over the 90's lineup anyday. They play the songs better live than the so called original lineup ever did. With the new lineup I don't have to watch the lead guitarist stumble around like a stoner and a bassist that is so drunk he could sweat and get everyone in the stadium plastered. Sorry. But THIS IS GNR. Wake up. It's 2012. Adapt or fade away...

Would you still pay if they didn't play the old songs? Not trolling, just asking your opinion

Would you still pay if they didn't play the old songs? Not trolling, just asking your opinion

Abso-fuckin-lutely

CD in my opinion is deeper than AFD & UYI (Love me some Illusions). But I would pay to see a full CD setlist faster than you can say "Oh My God". I can't wait until the rest of the masterpiece known as Chinese Democracy is released. I'll wait ten more years if I have to. Chinese Democracy made me fall in love with music all over again when I looked to me like music was dead. You can hold me to this. GNRs music will never disappoint me, and the best is yet to come.

Edited by iftheworld

In a way the Bucket line up was closer to the looseness of AFD line line. But image wise or musically they were completely different. The band that is now reflects the era we are in. There's not so much of a experimental feel out there in the mainstream, it's so much 70s rock as 80s pop rock as a general influence. Enter Dj n Fortus with some accessible rock tunes. maybe.

Nope. It's Gn'R TO YOU.

I think it would all depend on how they were used by Axl, but I think it wouldn't be as "fan friendly" as the current band is. For example, all of the VIP tickets of meeting band members wouldn't of happened, as it's something that the 2002 band were never into. You also wouldn't have any interviews or guitar magazine reviews with members, because again, it's something the 2002 band never did.

All this is why I fuckin LOVED the 2002 version of GN'R, which is because they were SO anti-social, and it was like they only existed onstage........and then dissapeared off the face of the earth. rock1

For the first time in 2002, you had a band that matched Axls' mad/delusional view of the world, and you had a band that were probably CRAZIER than anyone would ever imagine of Axl. :krider:

To me, Buckethead, Robin Finck and Brain re-defined what Gn'R actually was. They created their new era called "Chinese Democracy" but unfortunately, they are no longer in the band. The current guys? I don't know what they are since they are just covering other people's material, that why Axl should get them in the studio. They need their own essence as a band. It's about time. :shrugs:

I think its still too soon to desmiss the current lineup but I agree, the 2002 version was unique and is really missed.

Just imagine some casual fan after the show talkin' to Bumblefoot and telling him "Hey man, I fuckin' LOVED that TWAT outro, what inspired you to write such a tremendous outro?" and he going like "Eh, you know what? I didn't actually write that. That was Buckethead, I just played what he wrote". :shrugs:

You talking about DJ? He's the only one that plays most of the songs note for note. Ron plays most of the old solos his way. I'm sure you don't think that when you hear Nightrain or November Rain. Or Civil War, or even Estranged, where he plays the song true to the original but also does his thing, adds his twist. Don't twist things because DJ is the only one doing Slash's stuff note for note. Richard does his thing usually, but still stays a bit closer to the original.

I know you love them, but did you REALLY like the way they communicate with the fans? Come on, this can't be real. Just because you like them doesn't mean that they should be anti social and people would still praise them for that. Robin is down to earth and a great guy to spend time with, lots of people reported that. The only weird guy was Bucket, but if you ask most people I'm sure they would love to talk to him, to ask him anything but they... can't. They weren't really anti social, but they had less ways to communicate with the fans - they didn't have twitter, facebook, etc.

I think its still too soon to desmiss the current lineup but I agree, the 2002 version was unique and is really missed.

Just imagine some casual fan after the show talkin' to Bumblefoot and telling him "Hey man, I fuckin' LOVED that TWAT outro, what inspired you to write such a tremendous outro?" and he going like "Eh, you know what? I didn't actually write that. That was Buckethead, I just played what he wrote". :shrugs:

Just like most people would compliment him saying 'hey, you did a great November Rain solo, congrats!' or 'Man, you really did a great job playing Jungle...'. Or if he played the Catcher outro people would say 'Nice outro solo, you fkn nailed it...'. What would he say? Well, that's not new in new GnR. They're all used to that. I remember some years ago a kid telling Bumblefoot 'Hey, you were like Slash up there!' when he played a solo gig, when in fact it was his day job. Nobody in Guns will ever be recognized as Slash once was, that most likely will NEVER happen, we all are well aware of that. They could be known as the new guys to the mainstream, but not when you leave a band 4 years after you joined it. It requires time... years of mainstream recognizition.

maybe they don't want to be recognized in such a way. There was a time I didn't really see Slash as this kind of cartoon character, I mean I think that was part of him of something but it wasn't such a clear image. I guess it's the solo albums that have really brought him forward.

The current lineup is a more polished live act, but they're also more of a glorified cover band.

I'm sorry. I stopped reading when you wrote "glorified cover band".

Slashite detected.

laugh.gif I Lol'd at that.

Some of what he wrote about was interesting though - Bucket + a Goth Fink did seem 'dangerous/wierd/unique' but Guns N' Roses is a Rock N' Roll band and the current line up is through and through Rn'R. I can't wait to hear what they come up with.

Edited by The Archer

Truth is that as long as Axl's onboard it'll always be Gn'R for most people even without Slash - the truly only "old" member missed by the casual fan.

Band's got evolve to survive and I'm sure Axl's has that in mind creating some new sound, but at the same time I'd love to hear Axl vocals in some more raw and in your face rock n'roll like Slash's music.

Yes, the current lineup is closer to the UYI lineup and would have been an easier transition for many fans than the 2001 lineup which were...weirder.

No, the majority of the current lineup were writers and performers on CD and hence can't be referred to a a cover band since CD comprise a large set of the setlists. But yes, GN'R is and will always be a nostalgia band because fans will always demand to hear classics from AFD and UYI. It's just how it is.

But yes, GN'R is and will always be a nostalgia band because fans will always demand to hear classics from AFD and UYI. It's just how it is.

So Metallica, RHCP and any other band that's been around for more than 1 album that plays their hits at shows is a nostalgia band?

Stopped reading after "so called original lineup" . Butthurt Axlite detected. :xmasschef2: