If the lineups were reversed ...

GnR Chris

But yes, GN'R is and will always be a nostalgia band because fans will always demand to hear classics from AFD and UYI. It's just how it is.

So Metallica, RHCP and any other band that's been around for more than 1 album that plays their hits at shows is a nostalgia band?

If the majority of their setlists are old songs and those are mainly the reason why people attend their shows, then yes, they are nostalgia bands, too.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Axman would throw down some stuff from his fucking vault and get the guys working on it he could more easily open a chapter beyond ChiDem. All we've got is precious time and he's halfway to 100, won't keep the voice screeching forever.

But yes, GN'R is and will always be a nostalgia band because fans will always demand to hear classics from AFD and UYI. It's just how it is.

So Metallica, RHCP and any other band that's been around for more than 1 album that plays their hits at shows is a nostalgia band?

If the majority of their setlists are old songs and those are mainly the reason why people attend their shows, then yes, they are nostalgia bands, too.

You know that recent Metallica and RHCP concerts only showcase a handful of new songs whereas Guns play 6-7 per show?

I think it's cause there has been a radical shift in GNR personnel yet only one album and the two main guitarists of that record left a long time back, that's the problem with people accepting the band as 'active' in the material output aspect.

Edited by RandallFlagg

You know that recent Metallica and RHCP concerts only showcase a handful of new songs whereas Guns play 6-7 per show?

No. So they are even more nostalgia acts...

I think it's cause there has been a radical shift in GNR personnel yet only one album and the two main guitarists of that record left a long time back, that's the problem with people accepting the band as 'active' in the material output aspect.

They released a record only 3-4 years ago, and they talk about recording/releasing this year -> They ARE active in the material output aspect.

Uhm, I just realized that I have written "nostalgia band" when I should have written "nostalgia act". Sorry about that.

The difference in my opinion is that a 'nostalgia band' is a band that doesn't release new music, whereas a 'nostalgia act' is a band that relies on old material when they perform. I'd say GN'R fits the latter term but not the first.

Edited by SoulMonster

A band that has been around for over 25 years will have to be nostalgia acts in order to please the fans. The fact we get half of Chinese Democracy every night is lucky. If they weren't three hour shows, would we hear as much new music?

A band that has been around for over 25 years will have to be nostalgia acts in order to please the fans. The fact we get half of Chinese Democracy every night is lucky. If they weren't three hour shows, would we hear as much new music?

Indeed. Whether they are a nostalgia act or not is completely irrelevant when they deliver fucking awesome shows night after night playing about 3 hours of classic hits, covers, new songs and solos.

Yes, newly added songs to the setlist have been Estranged, CW, UTLH, You're Crazy, and some other gems. Amount of songs from CD haven't really increased in the concert's 30+ minutes.

A band that has been around for over 25 years will have to be nostalgia acts in order to please the fans.

Nah, you're just an ongoing band playing your hits. A nostalgia act is a band that broke up, never wrote anything afterward, and then got back together to tour. Like The Monkees

A band that has been around for over 25 years will have to be nostalgia acts in order to please the fans.

Nah, you're just an ongoing band playing your hits. A nostalgia act is a band that broke up, never wrote anything afterward, and then got back together to tour. Like The Monkees

You may be right. I might have to look differently on things.

Listening to old Chinese demos and reading about the stuff surrounding Guns N' Roses in the late '90s/early '00s got me thinking.

Axl seemed really determined back then to break Gn'R into something new with his all-new lineup. He was reportedly experimenting with vastly different sounds and he just seemed to have an attitude about him that suggested he was truly looking to forge another chapter in the "Guns N' Roses" legacy. It was a totally different beast.

The current lineup is a more polished live act, but they're also more of a glorified cover band. They play well, and they play hard, and the live shows are fantastic. But the more they tour the more they just seem like a nostalgia force to me. There's nothing new. It's all old and other people's songs. They play note-perfect versions of other people's songs.

The IRS demo someone posted in the 2000 Intentions thread got my blood pumping though. I like it. I hadn't heard that one for some reason. I didn't think I'd like this "industrial," crazy Gn'R. I sure as fuck didn't back then. They were TOO different.

But again, that IRS demo, then watching the Nightrain video someone posted where you had the other guys screaming the "Nightrain" vocals over Axl ... back then I didn't like it. Today, I see it from a different perspective. They were different. They weren't trying to be the old guys.

So long story short, my question is, if the current lineup was Axl's first attempt at a "new" Gn'R but that Bucket/Finck lineup was what he had out there today, do you think people would more readily accept this band (mainstream media).

In the grand scheme of things, my question is silly and doesn't matter. And I'm not explaining it as clearly as I intended. But F it, still posting ...

Just coming from my own personal perspective, I couldn't accept anything under the name Gn'R back then if guys from he AfD lineup weren't involved. That created a lot of backlash. Retrospectively, a lot of what I hear and what I read Axl was doing makes me excited, then sad to see 12 years later absolutely nothing panned out. He may not feel he wasted those prime years of his life, but I feel he did. It was his last chance to really prove something and create his own version of Guns. It's too late now. I still think somewhere along the lines we'll get new music, but Guns is always going to be in the shadow of that guy in the top hat and that tall blond guy and so forth.

I'm sorry. I stopped reading when you wrote "glorified cover band".

Slashite detected.

+1.

I didn't mean glorified cover band as an insult, guys.

For the record, I'm a huge Slash fan. I'm also a huge Axl, Adler, Duff, and Izzy fan.

The songs on Chinese Democracy were largely written by others. Not the two lead guitarists currently in the group. I understand they laid down some solos over other people's solos, but those songs are not theirs. I didn't mean it as disrespect. Just saying the current lineup seems content to tour off other people's songs and not release any music. It's been a long time.

My favorite band is NIN, so I like that style of music, and the dark sort of character. Axl has the deep, dark side to him, and I liked that he seemed to be going in that direction, signing about his personal turmoil, rather than getting drunk or stoned, etc. Coma was one of my favorite GNR songs, just because it seemed dark and emotional. So I was thrilled with the direction they were going in back in the Buckethead days. I even liked that Finck kept his NIN look. Sure, they didn't look like band, but a collection of strange characters, and I liked that.

Slash just always came off better in public and was seen as the victim in the GNR break up. If the stories came out that Slash was an unreliable junkie who was trying to force the band into his southern rock musical direction and was driving Axl to want to quit I'm sure he'd look bad to. I just think people were upset one of their favorite bands, and one of the greatest bands in the world, were breaking up so they held a grudge against the guy who was seen as being at fault, whether that's actually true or not.

I loved the Bucket/Finck line up, even though I was a few years shy of being around for it. It was so dark and weird and so totally removed from the old Guns and that was such an awesome direction. I really wish we could've gotten CD/an album in general from those guys around 2001 or 2002, it would've been pretty amazing.

Just saying the current lineup seems content to tour off other people's songs and not release any music. It's been a long time.

How have you got this impression? Many band members from the current lineup (Bumbles, Richard, Tommy, Dizzy, Dj and Axl) have explicitly stated they want to release more music, implying they will not be content just playing "old songs".

And it hasn't been a long time, only 3-4 years...

The songs on Chinese Democracy were largely written by others. Not the two lead guitarists currently in the group. I understand they laid down some solos over other people's solos, but those songs are not theirs. .

To be fair, neither Robin nor Bucket wrote Chinese Democracy, If The World, Catcher, TWAT, Madagascar, This I Love or Prostitute.

Buckethead was the guitarist that would replace slash in the minds of fans. In 2002 the band was going in a extraordinary direction. It was innovative, original and so dark! the band wasn't the same without Buckethead. Shame.

I never saw Buckethead as a replacement for Slash. He was brought in to create a new sound in the band. Bring some new interpretation of what Axl had in his head that was different from what Robin could bring.

This is a fantastic example of an extremely creative post that manages to bring former gunners into the main section of the forum, out of Dust N' Bones where they should be rotting.

Ain't gonna happen until the new band puts out a lot more content with songs that become the hits that the former band created.