Is Axl using a backing track live?

Jeez

Hey Im just wondering if anyone knows if Axl is using some kind of backing track to his vocals live? For instance in the chorus of Chinese Democracy live it sounds like there is some kind of backing track going on? Or is that someone else in the band singing? I've noticed it in just a few songs, and it really sounds like it's Axl's voice twice.

In this clip from Sao Paulo Axl is telling the band to stop the song at 01:55 (CD), it takes the others a few seconds to react and while Axl is NOT singing you then can hear another voice fading in as soon as the chorus begins - which sounds like Axl.

Sorry if a similar thread has been made before, I'm new around here :)

Edited by Jeez

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, he has been using backing tracks since at least '06. I pointed this out in '06 and the mob here chastised me as they thought I was essentially calling Axl a lip syncher. Of course what they didn't understand is that there is a difference between lip synching, and having a background vocal track (which many excellent bands use like radiohead). i never said axl was lip synching, and now it's widely known that these tracks are used. so fuck you to the haters. :fuckyou:

I just noticed some fuckhead pointing a green laserpen at Axl during the rant. Does that c#nt know those things can blind people?

On topic, yes he uses a backing track live on some songs, mostly when harmonies or dual vocals are used(Shacklers as well). I personally don't think he should or needs to.

edit: and when I said a vocal backing track was used, i didn't necessarily mean a pre-recorded track... it may be sampled "on the fly" from live singing, which is waaaaaayy cool.

I doubt it's sampled then and there. Definitely pre recorded.

I don't really mind him using a vocal backing track as he is still singing live, but like young_gun said I don't really think he needs it...

Of course.... and in Civil War too

Well that is clearly fake -.- The drums were "lip" syncing as well? Nice echo effect.

I didn't hear it in '06. But for the last couple of years, he has used as backing track on some CD songs like CD, Madagascar and Scraped where there are multiple Axl voices on the track. I don't find it necessary but I guess he figures now that the record is out there, it has to sound the same live as it does on record and having the other band members sing the backing parts just doesn't cut it. It's not the same as lip syncing, though. I mean, obviously the audience knows that the disembodied Axl voice the "IF WE EVER FIND IT'S TRUE" part at the end of Madagascar is pre-recorded, but still, I don't like it.

edit: and when I said a vocal backing track was used, i didn't necessarily mean a pre-recorded track... it may be sampled "on the fly" from live singing, which is waaaaaayy cool.

I doubt it's sampled then and there. Definitely pre recorded.

I don't really mind him using a vocal backing track as he is still singing live, but like young_gun said I don't really think he needs it...

Of course.... and in Civil War too

Well that is clearly fake -.- The drums were "lip" syncing as well? Nice echo effect.

try yourself, pan the audio and compare, its not echo.

or compare some live civil war videos.....

How do you explain that all the other instruments are "echoing" with Axls voice? :S Especially in the end of the video.. Frank decided to play with the backing track AND Axls echo?

How do you explain that all the other instruments are "echoing" with Axls voice? :S Especially in the end of the video.. Frank decided to play with the backing track AND Axls echo?

In the video are 2 channels, left from one show and right from other show. Its very....very, VERY hard play everytime in the same tempo, but the only words that are sampled, are in tempo.

Try yourself, compare 2 live audios from the same song and you can appreciate the difference.

In the video are 2 channels, left from one show and right from other show. Its very....very, VERY hard play everytime in the same tempo, but the only words that are sampled, are in tempo.

Try yourself, compare 2 live audios from the same song and you can appreciate the difference.

So you think that Axl really lipsynched that line and he wasn't really singing it?

So you think that Axl really lipsynched that line and he wasn't really singing it?

Yes, its a crucial line where he needs to breathe for continue singing. Nothing bad on this... Roger Waters does the same in many songs

most definetly, during his House Of Blues show in Chicago, I was there and I heard no "problems" with his vocals

then I watched the stream on youtube as they were streaming that show live, and the vocals I heard on the video were not the vocals that were heard at the house of blues, obviously his backing track did not feed into what people were hearing at home

freaking pathetic, I hate artists who use backing tracks, I doubt I will ever see Axl again

yes, he has been using backing tracks since at least '06. I pointed this out in '06 and the mob here chastised me as they thought I was essentially calling Axl a lip syncher. Of course what they didn't understand is that there is a difference between lip synching, and having a background vocal track (which many excellent bands use like radiohead). i never said axl was lip synching, and now it's widely known that these tracks are used. so fuck you to the haters. :fuckyou:

no using backing tracks is basically lip synching, it is pathetic

and Radiohead does not use backing tracks, or does not rely on them

when Axl and other artists that rely on vocals lip synch it is pathetic, and they should tell you in advance

freaking sad

in 2009/2010 they used a backtrack on Chinese Democracy, you can hear it on Osaka or Tokyo ear monitor.

In 2011/2012 tour nop. check the livestreams ;)

They still use it in some songs who needs more than 1 axl voice. Like Shackler's, Scraped, Maddy... OFC Axl sings but he can't sing all the layers.

Edited by bumblecool

no using backing tracks is basically lip synching, it is pathetic

No

and Radiohead does not use backing tracks, or does not rely on them

Factually untrue in the first, irrelevant in the second

when Axl and other artists that rely on vocals lip synch it is pathetic

Axl does not rely on lip syncing, so...

and they should tell you in advance

You should also tell them in advance that you are mentally retarded so they can put a cone around your neck to keep you from choking on the confetti at the end.

freaking sad

Attempt at trolling.

Edited by Flayer

in 2009/2010 they used a backtrack on Chinese Democracy, you can hear it on Osaka or Tokyo ear monitor.

In 2011/2012 tour nop. check the livestreams ;)

They still use it in some songs who needs more than 1 axl voice. Like Shackler's, Scraped, Maddy... OFC Axl sings but he can't sing all the layers.

yup, noticed that. I dont know if he uses in shacklers nowadays - check the HOB version since Axl was sick his voice was...strange.