Slash: Axl's letter refusing the HOF induction set a fire that made us play

Original GNR

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its really somewhat pathetic to still have this total hate for one man.

Agreed.. Axl has been pathetic for a long time though.. It amazes how cool I used to think he was.

Axl's got serious mental issues. Dude's not 100% sane.

Why? Because he doesn't fulfill your expectation? What Slash wrote was not sane. It's called passive aggression

Yep, pretty well covers it :thumbsup:

Axl's got serious mental issues. Dude's not 100% sane.

No one is. :xmassrudolph:

Exactly everyone has a different set of eccentricities,which undoubtedly strike others as "crazy". So easy to slap that label on others,while gazing into a mirror and seeing nothing amiss. ;)

It's nice your sticking up for your little buddy there. But there are ex-managers, ex-band members, ex-girlfriends, employees, friends, celebrities, psychiatrists and such that have most definetly spent more time dealing with lill' old Axl than you have. And from what I've generally read/heard, they can't all be wrong. OR IS EVERYBODY ALL OUT TO GET HIM!?!?!?!? YES, BECAUSE IT'S AXL THE SAINT, LITERALLY JESUS ON STAGE! Seriously, stop wiggling your tongue, his @$$ is in his mansion far away from caring about you.

Read what you just wrote,and tell me why I should take you seriously :blink:

You come off sounding crazy :confused:

Slash's interview will set a fire that makes Axl release the new album called Slash N' Burn

no, my love ... slash's interviews don't have effect on Axl .. Axl ignores this man and his lies

Slash justifies his cowardice, blaming Axl ... Typical man without ... :ph34r: is slash a man ??? mmm :lol:

Amazes me how people just dont get the point: Guns n Roses has been Axl, Tommy, BH, Bbf, 4tus, Brain, Frank, etc etc for going on about 15 years now and, believe it or not, they have goals! They would've been compromised if Axl suddenly decided to get on stage with his ex wife for the purpose of making everyone else happy for one contrived moment. Now THAT would've been a fucked up decision. I guess people think that Axl is just not serious about his music. Slash's response to Axl's letter will motivate him even more. Slash, Duff, Izzy, and Steven should make their own record, imo, just to fucking see what their potential is. I'd genuinely love to hear it. And if Izzy doesnt want join, well it isnt Axl's fault so at least you cant place blame on him (of course then Slash says "Axl traumatized Izzy, Izzy doesnt want to play with a singer again"). Regardless, I'm sure the record would have less of "Gnr's 'original soul'" than Chi Dem does.

Edited by Eu4ic

Slash's interview will set a fire that makes Axl release the new album called Slash N' Burn

no, my love ... slash's interviews don't have effect on Axl .. Axl ignores this man and his lies

Slash justifies his cowardice, blaming Axl ... Typical man without ... :ph34r: is slash a man ??? mmm :lol:

Slash is not the coward he showed up Axl did not. And everything Slash does effects Axl he is obsessed with Slash!

I thought Slash was done talking abd GnR and Axl?

Slash did not make that statement Matt and Steven have. Slash said the door was closed on a reunion.

Slash is so full of crap when he says they never would of played, I love how Slash always likes to make believe he is to cool for everything, I hate Axl and I hate Slash, do not understand why I like this band

Slash is so full of crap when he says they never would of played, I love how Slash always likes to make believe he is to cool for everything, I hate Axl and I hate Slash, do not understand why I like this band

There was no intention of playing until Axl made his statement. If you don't want to believe Slash then listen to Duff and Matt they said the same thing.

I think all the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame stuff should be moved to the Former Gunners section.

This stuff has nothing to do with the current band anymore. Every RRHOF topic seems to turn into a fight between the old band fans and the new band fans.

I think all the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame stuff should be moved to the Former Gunners section.

This stuff has nothing to do with the current band anymore. Every RRHOF topic seems to turn into a fight between the old band fans and the new band fans.

This. The fighting is getting on my nerves

Seconded,all these type topics are polarizing the forum,and encouraging arguements that will never be answered.

Guns N' Roses are going on tour,I would rather discuss that.

Seconded,all these type topics are polarizing the forum,and encouraging arguements that will never be answered.

Guns N' Roses are going on tour,I would rather discuss that.

:thumbsup: I agree.

All of this RRHOF stuff is just clogging up the forum and just starts fights.

This is a Slash interview, I think it belongs in the Former Gunners section.

I think they would have played without the letter. It was bullshit when Slash said having Myles sing never occurred to him. I guess that means the fans are smarter than him.

Edited by BirdCatcher

http://host.madison.com/entertainment/music/for-slash-everything-s-coming-up-guns-n-roses/article_e0d3d6e9-9ced-5b87-871a-d75da4b66086.html

Former Guns N’ Roses guitarist Slash must feel as though he’s living in a time warp these days.

On one hand, he’s about to hit the road with a new touring band headed by Alter Bridge singer Myles Kennedy in support of his forthcoming solo album, “Apocalyptic Love.” On the other, Guns’ landmark album “Appetite for Destruction” turns 25 later this year, and the influential crew was recently inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, Ohio.

Somewhat unexpectedly, the band even performed at the April ceremony minus a couple key cogs: the media shy Izzy Stradlin and pugnacious frontman Axl Rose, who has publicly feuded with his former mates for years.

In a recent phone interview, Slash, who visits the Orpheum Theatre for a concert on Wednesday, May 16, opened up about reuniting with Guns, having the drug talk with his kids and how he thinks he’d fare against his avatar in “Guitar Hero.”

How did it feel getting up onstage recently with most of the Guns N’ Roses guys at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductions?

It was a really nice event all around, and it was a special moment for all the guys that showed up. It was a nightmare going into it, but when it actually happened it was like, “This is pretty cool.”

At what point did your attitude change? Was it when you all finally got onstage together?

Going up there you feel very much part of something that is bigger than…all the stories, drugs, the fights and this and that and the other. There was a body of a music that had a significant impact. When you think about where we come from, which is really like sort of the back alleys of Hollywood and being just scourges of the neighborhood…it was like, “Wow. It was a pretty big thing we ended up doing.”

What was your initial reaction after reading Axl Rose’s open letter to the Rock Hall (in which the frontman refused induction)?

The funny thing is we never would have played had he never written it. I think at one point he alluded he was at least going to go, and so we hadn’t really prepared to play at all. We were just going to show up as almost an obligatory thing — more for the fans than anything. But that letter set a fire that was like, “Okay, (bleep) it. We’re going to go play.” So it really almost didn’t happen. And if it hadn’t been for that special letter it wouldn’t have.

In a 1988 interview Axl described you by saying you were quiet, but then you pick up a guitar “and your heart and soul seem to pour out.” Has it always been easier for you to communicate with a guitar in your hands?

I would say that is my main source of communication (laughs). I find I’m more direct and heartfelt with a guitar. It definitely doesn’t come verbally. That’s actually a chore for me.

That seems to contrast with the whole rock and roll lifestyle. Was it hard for you to adapt?

You have a lot of different chemical influences to help you out of your shell, and I’m sure that helped me along with it. But for the most part I think what you do as a musician onstage is completely different from the personality offstage.

The song “Not for Me” (off “Apocalyptic Love”) sounds like it could have been written in response to those wildest years in Guns.

It’s an interesting take on those subjects of drugs and booze, because usually we’re promoting (that lifestyle). It’s a song about the morning after when you sort of decide you’re tired of the whole thing. It’s something everybody feels at one time or another.

What was that wake-up call for you (the guitarist has been sober since 2006)?

I’ve had many wake-up calls (laughs). You take it so far and then you have that feeling the next day when you look at the waste you left behind the night before and you start thinking, “God, I’m done with this.” But it’s really hard to get off that train. For me, it really took a long time to get to that point where I finally said, “I’m done.”

When the time comes, how will you handle the drug talk with your two children?

We’ve had one already because I have a 9-year-old who hangs out at the skate park, so he’s seen a few things over there. He’s got a great attitude, so it wasn’t an extensive talk. I didn’t need to try and influence his thinking because he was already there.

Have you ever faced off against digital Slash in “Guitar Hero III?”

No, I haven’t. I’ve seen it, though. They have these stand-up “Guitar Heroes” in arcades and I’ve walked into those a couple times and seen kids playing with my avatar. It’s very unsettling (laughs).

Do you think you could take him?

As soon I knew I was in the game I stopped playing it. But when I was playing “Guitar Hero II” I was pretty damned good, so maybe.

I respect Axl's decision not to attend because any man has the right not to do something they do not want to. But he made it a lot easier for the alumni to continue as the hero and Axl to continue as the heal. In the end its a shame they couldnt put their differences aside for one night. I was hoping (more than a performance) that they simply put aside the hate especially on Axl's side. Its really somewhat pathetic to still have this total hate for one man.

So,compromising your values in order to fufill some magazine mogul's private,meaningless,overblown awards show is paramount in your world?

Take into consideration whom the quote originated from that sparked this overly-discussed,needless topic.

Im not even sure where you're coming from with your response. How is hoping 2 people can put aside their differences compromising one's values? I said I respected Axl's decision, which I do but that doesnt mean the general public or media does.

I have a bit of a problem that you would rank entertainment value above standing on one's convictions.It's jann wenner's handpicked

Favorites,the public doesn't vote,

I can think of a virtual plethoria of bands that deserve to be there but aren't,so I don't know what criteria needs to be met.

I've visited twice.

Award shows aren't always what they are cracked up to be,remember when Jethro Tull beat out Metallica for "best metal band?" :lol:

And SCOM got a moonman for best new "metal" song? Both were a bit off imo.

For whatever reasons people are still shoveling shit,and making comments about the RRHOF 2012, its over,and you can't see the future by looking in your rear view window.

It isn't GNR news,I'm not interested in what slash has to say anymore.

Again, I said nothing about entrainment, I said I wished Axl and Slash didnt hate each-other and were able to work things out. Like it or not slash is and always will be a part of GnR no one can change that and if maybe the past was embraced more by Axl or people like you things could be better for GnR today. U are arguing over the process to which bands are inducted, all Im saying is it would have been cool for the guys to work their differences out. Im not asking anyone to compromise their values for the sake of entertainment.

It's a situation that's for sure. The HOF thing is Guns N'Roses, so it belongs here. A Slash interview belongs in Former Gunner's.

In this case the poster posted in this section on the grounds that part of an interview is about an Axl letter + HOF outcome as a result of..

..at the end of the day, its no big deal where it's posted. Slash is more Guns N'Roses than any hired hand will ever be :shrugs:

Edited by vaida

It's like Axl is their dad.

laugh.gif you bet.

Well, there you go. All of the reunionists should be happy and thanking Axl, as he is the catalyst for the life-changing quasi-reunion performance that happened at the RRHOF.

+1. So true.

Why? Because he doesn't fulfill your expectation? What Slash wrote was not sane. It's called passive aggression

Yep, pretty well covers it :thumbsup:

+1

I thought Slash was done talking abd GnR and Axl?

You kidding? The dude must wait for this stuff.

A Slash interview belongs in Former Gunner's.

This. This. This. thumbsup.gif

no, my love ... slash's interviews don't have effect on Axl ..

Angeles smiley-heart.gif

Edited by The Archer

I think they would have played without the letter. It was bullshit when Slash said having Myles sing never occurred to him. I guess that means the fans are smarter than him.

Yeah, I doubt Myles signing hadn't occurred to him at all.

Duff brought up singing to Myles it was discussed between them before it ever got to Slash.

It's a situation that's for sure. The HOF thing is Guns N'Roses, so it belongs here. A Slash interview belongs in Former Gunner's.

In this case the poster posted in this section on the grounds that part of an interview is about an Axl letter + HOF outcome as a result of..

..at the end of the day, its no big deal where it's posted. Slash is more Guns N'Roses than any hired hand will ever be :shrugs:

I'll be sure to keep that in mind next time I hear Myles singing a cover of a GN'R song

:thumbsup: