Slash: Axl's letter refusing the HOF induction set a fire that made us play

Original GNR

Its really somewhat pathetic to still have this total hate for one man.

Agreed.. Axl has been pathetic for a long time though.. It amazes how cool I used to think he was.

Axl's got serious mental issues. Dude's not 100% sane.

Why? Because he doesn't fulfill your expectation? What Slash wrote was not sane. It's called passive aggression

Yep, pretty well covers it :thumbsup:

Okay, since you people don't take your time to actually read the friggin' response to your posts (or you simply chose to ignore them) here's the response I gave you earlier so this time try not to "dodge" it: :rolleyes:

Nahh, just the basic observation skills people normally have. It's my own conclusion. I prefer thinking this way rather than just going for the other possible explanation, that is Axl being a complete asshole who doesn't give a shit about anyone in any level, and that thinks of himself as a superior person. I prefer my Axl insane... no need to feel offended

Basically, either Axl has social behavior issues (mental) or he's the biggest motherfucking asshole in the music business. Since I admire him and love his music, I'd rather see him as someone with serious social behavior issues. Simple as that. Or do you people consider his past behavior situations to be 100% normal? Have you ever met someone who jumped out of a moving car 'cause his friend told he couldn't crash at his couch anymore? Have you ever seen someone make thousands of people wait for a performance just to be found sitting in the front seat of a van staring into nothing? My expectations have NOTHING to do with the fact I see him as a crazy, yet amazingly skilled musician. It's his own behavior that makes me, and thousands of people think that about him. Stop acting like I'm talking about your mother here and accept the fact Axl's typical behavior is NOT normal. It is NOT what 99% of the world population does and you know it.

Oh... and PirateChick....Slash is a much more down-to-earth normal guy who has never throw a chair off his hotel room at the press. His behavior, like saying he never thought about Myles singing does not make me think he's insane, it makes me think he's a goddamn liar. :shrugs:

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good interview - can't wait to hear the new album

:thumbsup:

It's a situation that's for sure. The HOF thing is Guns N'Roses, so it belongs here. A Slash interview belongs in Former Gunner's.

In this case the poster posted in this section on the grounds that part of an interview is about an Axl letter + HOF outcome as a result of..

..at the end of the day, its no big deal where it's posted. Slash is more Guns N'Roses than any hired hand will ever be :shrugs:

I'll be sure to keep that in mind next time I hear Myles singing a cover of a GN'R song

He certainly does a better job than Axl these days.

Basically, either Axl has social behavior issues (mental) or he's the biggest motherfucking asshole in the music business. Since I admire him and love his music, I'd rather see him as someone with serious social behavior issues. Simple as that. Or do you people consider his past behavior situations to be 100% normal? Have you ever met someone who jumped out of a moving car 'cause his friend told he couldn't crash at his couch anymore? Have you ever seen someone make thousands of people wait for a performance just to be found sitting in the front seat of a van staring into nothing? My expectations have NOTHING to do with the fact I see him as a crazy, yet amazingly skilled musician. It's his own behavior that makes me, and thousands of people think that about him. Stop acting like I'm talking about your mother here and accept the fact Axl's typical behavior is NOT normal. It is NOT what 99% of the world population does and you know it.

I agree with only one thing in this - Axl is unique and it is the reason he has everyone's - those who hate him and love him - attention.

Oh... and PirateChick....Slash is a much more down-to-earth normal guy who has never throw a chair off his hotel room at the press. His behavior, like saying he never thought about Myles singing does not make me think he's insane, it makes me think he's a goddamn liar. :shrugs:

Totally agree with everything in this.

Say that after he's sung WTTJ flawlessly.

I agree with only one thing in this - Axl is unique and it is the reason he has everyone's - those who hate him and love him - attention.

Not so when Duff and Myles were discussing him singing Slash did not know this and was not thinking about Myles because at that point he had decided he was not attending. His wife talked him into going for the fans. All this was being talked about the night of the golden god awards. This was the same day Axl posted his letter.

Edited by sleeper

It's a situation that's for sure. The HOF thing is Guns N'Roses, so it belongs here. A Slash interview belongs in Former Gunner's.

In this case the poster posted in this section on the grounds that part of an interview is about an Axl letter + HOF outcome as a result of..

..at the end of the day, its no big deal where it's posted. Slash is more Guns N'Roses than any hired hand will ever be :shrugs:

I'll be sure to keep that in mind next time I hear Myles singing a cover of a GN'R song

The only song Myles can pull of somewhat is Sweet Child 'O Mine, hearing him trying to sing Rocket Queen, Mr. Brownstone and Civil War is awful imo. His voice just isn't fit for GN'R songs, he doesn't have the vocal range Axl does. Nor does he have Scott's vocal range, he can't even pull of VR's Slither.

Anyways, my point was just that to call GN'R members hired hands when Slash has Myles sing GN'R songs is stupid :shrugs:

Anyways, my point was just that to call GN'R members hired hands when Slash has Myles sing GN'R songs is stupid :shrugs:

Slash isn't out calling himself GNR though. That's where that comes from

Point taken thanks

Not so when Duff and Myles were discussing him singing Slash did not know this and was not thinking about Myles because at that point he had decided he was not attending. His wife talked him into going for the fans. All this was being talked about the night of the golden god awards. This was the same day Axl posted his letter.

So, are you Duff, Myles, Slash or Perla?

The only song Myles can pull of somewhat is Sweet Child 'O Mine, hearing him trying to sing Rocket Queen, Mr. Brownstone and Civil War is awful imo. His voice just isn't fit for GN'R songs, he doesn't have the vocal range Axl does. Nor does he have Scott's vocal range, he can't even pull of VR's Slither.

+1 as much as I dislike hearing Myles covering Axl, i'll agree that his SCOM isn't half bad. But, as for the rest - he makes me miss and appreciate Scott singing with Slash and that is something.

Edited by The Archer

It does not matter who I am

Timeline

On the day of the GGA

It was thought all were attending except Izzy and there would be no performance

Axl issued his statement

Slash said fuck it I'm not going (Perla is talking to him about attending for the fans) Slash even stated this at the induction. He is not thinking about the HOF at that point.

Duff, Slash, Steven, and all of Slash's band are at the awards

Duff takes charge and ask Myles if he would sing. Myles said he would think about it. That is when it was brought up to Slash he has said he liked the idea.

http://host.madison.com/entertainment/music/for-slash-everything-s-coming-up-guns-n-roses/article_e0d3d6e9-9ced-5b87-871a-d75da4b66086.html

Former Guns N’ Roses guitarist Slash must feel as though he’s living in a time warp these days.

On one hand, he’s about to hit the road with a new touring band headed by Alter Bridge singer Myles Kennedy in support of his forthcoming solo album, “Apocalyptic Love.” On the other, Guns’ landmark album “Appetite for Destruction” turns 25 later this year, and the influential crew was recently inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, Ohio.

Somewhat unexpectedly, the band even performed at the April ceremony minus a couple key cogs: the media shy Izzy Stradlin and pugnacious frontman Axl Rose, who has publicly feuded with his former mates for years.

In a recent phone interview, Slash, who visits the Orpheum Theatre for a concert on Wednesday, May 16, opened up about reuniting with Guns, having the drug talk with his kids and how he thinks he’d fare against his avatar in “Guitar Hero.”

How did it feel getting up onstage recently with most of the Guns N’ Roses guys at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductions?

It was a really nice event all around, and it was a special moment for all the guys that showed up. It was a nightmare going into it, but when it actually happened it was like, “This is pretty cool.”

At what point did your attitude change? Was it when you all finally got onstage together?

Going up there you feel very much part of something that is bigger than…all the stories, drugs, the fights and this and that and the other. There was a body of a music that had a significant impact. When you think about where we come from, which is really like sort of the back alleys of Hollywood and being just scourges of the neighborhood…it was like, “Wow. It was a pretty big thing we ended up doing.”

What was your initial reaction after reading Axl Rose’s open letter to the Rock Hall (in which the frontman refused induction)?

The funny thing is we never would have played had he never written it. I think at one point he alluded he was at least going to go, and so we hadn’t really prepared to play at all. We were just going to show up as almost an obligatory thing — more for the fans than anything. But that letter set a fire that was like, “Okay, (bleep) it. We’re going to go play.” So it really almost didn’t happen. And if it hadn’t been for that special letter it wouldn’t have.

In a 1988 interview Axl described you by saying you were quiet, but then you pick up a guitar “and your heart and soul seem to pour out.” Has it always been easier for you to communicate with a guitar in your hands?

I would say that is my main source of communication (laughs). I find I’m more direct and heartfelt with a guitar. It definitely doesn’t come verbally. That’s actually a chore for me.

That seems to contrast with the whole rock and roll lifestyle. Was it hard for you to adapt?

You have a lot of different chemical influences to help you out of your shell, and I’m sure that helped me along with it. But for the most part I think what you do as a musician onstage is completely different from the personality offstage.

The song “Not for Me” (off “Apocalyptic Love”) sounds like it could have been written in response to those wildest years in Guns.

It’s an interesting take on those subjects of drugs and booze, because usually we’re promoting (that lifestyle). It’s a song about the morning after when you sort of decide you’re tired of the whole thing. It’s something everybody feels at one time or another.

What was that wake-up call for you (the guitarist has been sober since 2006)?

I’ve had many wake-up calls (laughs). You take it so far and then you have that feeling the next day when you look at the waste you left behind the night before and you start thinking, “God, I’m done with this.” But it’s really hard to get off that train. For me, it really took a long time to get to that point where I finally said, “I’m done.”

When the time comes, how will you handle the drug talk with your two children?

We’ve had one already because I have a 9-year-old who hangs out at the skate park, so he’s seen a few things over there. He’s got a great attitude, so it wasn’t an extensive talk. I didn’t need to try and influence his thinking because he was already there.

Have you ever faced off against digital Slash in “Guitar Hero III?”

No, I haven’t. I’ve seen it, though. They have these stand-up “Guitar Heroes” in arcades and I’ve walked into those a couple times and seen kids playing with my avatar. It’s very unsettling (laughs).

Do you think you could take him?

As soon I knew I was in the game I stopped playing it. But when I was playing “Guitar Hero II” I was pretty damned good, so maybe.

I respect Axl's decision not to attend because any man has the right not to do something they do not want to. But he made it a lot easier for the alumni to continue as the hero and Axl to continue as the heal. In the end its a shame they couldnt put their differences aside for one night. I was hoping (more than a performance) that they simply put aside the hate especially on Axl's side. Its really somewhat pathetic to still have this total hate for one man.

So,compromising your values in order to fufill some magazine mogul's private,meaningless,overblown awards show is paramount in your world?

Take into consideration whom the quote originated from that sparked this overly-discussed,needless topic.

Im not even sure where you're coming from with your response. How is hoping 2 people can put aside their differences compromising one's values? I said I respected Axl's decision, which I do but that doesnt mean the general public or media does.

I have a bit of a problem that you would rank entertainment value above standing on one's convictions.It's jann wenner's handpicked

Favorites,the public doesn't vote,

I can think of a virtual plethoria of bands that deserve to be there but aren't,so I don't know what criteria needs to be met.

I've visited twice.

Award shows aren't always what they are cracked up to be,remember when Jethro Tull beat out Metallica for "best metal band?" :lol:

And SCOM got a moonman for best new "metal" song? Both were a bit off imo.

For whatever reasons people are still shoveling shit,and making comments about the RRHOF 2012, its over,and you can't see the future by looking in your rear view window.

It isn't GNR news,I'm not interested in what slash has to say anymore.

Again, I said nothing about entrainment, I said I wished Axl and Slash didnt hate each-other and were able to work things out. Like it or not slash is and always will be a part of GnR no one can change that and if maybe the past was embraced more by Axl or people like you things could be better for GnR today. U are arguing over the process to which bands are inducted, all Im saying is it would have been cool for the guys to work their differences out. Im not asking anyone to compromise their values for the sake of entertainment.

Gunner since 1988, there was a time I thought Slash had the makings of a Jimmy Page or other guitar icon.I attended gigs with a religious fervor, cut to post-guns- No I don't care for his choices in music,nor his passive aggressive remarks.

I didn't like VR dressing up like GNR,I don't like his castration of P.C. with cypress hill,nor that cringeworthy superbowl appearance.I'm disappointed in the quality of his music,and even Marc Cantor said "Slash lies".

Sorry if I came across as harsh and unfeeling in my previous posts to you,I am direct and to the point,that doesn't mean I don't understand. Yes Slash will always be a part of GNR history,but GNR had started to disentegrate long before the public cracks began to show.

I've learned some things,and taken some issues into consideration,I don't like what Slash has become and I think his best work was in Guns,I think he jumped the gun snatching the Snakepit songs off the table,thinking he knew best,he had a few yes-men in his

corner as well,convincing him that he knew best,the uber ego didn't help either side.

I don't understand why he was so offended by the addition of Paul Tobias on SFTD,I think the finished product turned out well and prefer it over the stones version.

I also know that Slash had issues with Izzy and Izzy's style and heard through the proverbial grapevine that Slash wanted to be the only guitarist for GNR and didn't like playing on songs like N.R. and estranged,I acknowledge that he did come up with memorable riffs,ie:jungle,PC,coma, etc. And came up with the signature Riff in SCOM by accident,practicing a finger exercise and grew to hate playing it.

So,apologies if I came off harsh or hateful toward you,personally.I'm honestly attempting to explain my stance,and why I'm not unbiased in the perpetual vs. Arguements that occur on a daily/hourly basis here. At this point so much water,words,lawsuits and bad feelings have grown over the years,whether any amicable common ground can,or will ever be reached,some things cannot be forgiven,some words and actions can't be glossed over,and no amount of money,sentimentality,or action can/will heal the wound.

Slash's interview will set a fire that makes Axl release the new album called Slash N' Burn

no, my love ... slash's interviews don't have effect on Axl .. Axl ignores this man and his lies

Slash justifies his cowardice, blaming Axl ... Typical man without ... :ph34r: is slash a man ??? mmm :lol:

Slash is not the coward he showed up Axl did not. And everything Slash does effects Axl he is obsessed with Slash!

oohhh !! I'm not so sure baby .... in every slash's interview, he is talking about Axl ...poor slash .. I think slash can't live without the redhead :kiss:

Edited by Angeles_

Look for whatever reason Axl didn't want to show up and that is his choice. And Slash and the guys put on a great show. There is no need to place blame or go on bashing Slash or Axl for this HOF stuff, let's just be glad we got an awesome perormance (although albiet cooler if Axl was there) and move on instead of continuing this nonstop bickering between people who for whatever reason only look on one side of the table

Look for whatever reason Axl didn't want to show up and that is his choice. And Slash and the guys put on a great show. There is no need to place blame or go on bashing Slash or Axl for this HOF stuff, let's just be glad we got an awesome perormance (although albiet cooler if Axl was there) and move on instead of continuing this nonstop bickering between people who for whatever reason only look on one side of the table

Really? You could make it really exciting for all the Slash/Duff/Myles/Perla fans on here.

Timeline

On the day of the GGA

Axl issued his statement

Slash said fuck it I'm not going (Perla is talking to him about attending for the fans) Slash even stated this at the induction. He is not thinking about the HOF at that point.

Duff takes charge and ask Myles if he would sing. Myles said he would think about it. That is when it was brought up to Slash he has said he liked the idea.

That contradicts Slash's statement in the interview ie, the topic headline

You are right I have deleted my reply to Angles or what ever the person's name is.

Really? You could make it really exciting for all the Slash/Duff/Myles/Perla fans on here.

Timeline

On the day of the GGA

Axl issued his statement

How so the letter was what brought about the chain of the events. Myles was not an issue until Duff asked him. Slash did not consider it untill he was spoken to about it.

Timeline

On the day of the GGA

Axl issued his statement

No it doesn't.

Timeline

On the day of the GGA

Axl issued his statement

No it doesn't.

Wax matches?

Good interview - can't wait to hear the new album

Sad but true. Axl tries hard these's days, but there's no denying he is no match for his former self.

It's like the mind wants to keep going, the body can't keep up. Its an age thing, it happens to us all.

+1 as much as I dislike hearing Myles covering Axl, i'll agree that his SCOM isn't half bad. But, as for the rest - he makes me miss and appreciate Scott singing with Slash and that is something.

Scott did a good job of doing GN'R covers cause he stuck to the ones that fit his voice like It's So Easy and Mr. Brownstone. Scott could sing them with a deep voice like they're supposed to be sang, Myles cannot. His voice is too high and nasal to pull that off. Could you imagine Scott doing SCOM or Civil War? No, cause he doesn't have the voice for that. Scott stayed within his limits, Myles doesn't and it sounds awful.

Scott did a good job of doing GN'R covers cause he stuck to the ones that fit his voice like It's So Easy and Mr. Brownstone. Scott could sing them with a deep voice like they're supposed to be sang, Myles cannot. His voice is too high and nasal to pull that off. Could you imagine Scott doing SCOM or Civil War? No, cause he doesn't have the voice for that. Scott stayed within his limits, Myles doesn't and it sounds awful.

Well all the Slash fans and all the Alter Bridge fans disagree with you. I can agree that Scott knew his limits.

Well all the Slash fans and all the Alter Bridge fans disagree with you. I can agree that Scott knew his limits.

I know that they disagree with me and that's their right, but just like they state their opinion I state mine :)

I'm a huge fan of Scott/STP but I can still say that he didn't do GN'R songs as good as Axl does, just like I say Myles does not. I just wish Myles would stick to the songs he can pull off like Scott did. So when I hear people saying Myles does the songs better than Axl it makes me cringe. He's not even at Scott's level :shrugs: Just my opinion.

Edited by RocketQueen1985