The Elvis Thread ("New" Album Coming, 2015)

Virgil Caine

"New" album coming with the Royal Philharmonic:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/hear-elvis-presleys-powerful-newly-orchestrated-if-i-can-dream-20150812

I wasn't that interested until I heard this:

After hearing that, I'm very excited for stuff like You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' and Bridge Over Troubled Water.

I get chills whenever I hear that song from the '68 special. One of the finest vocal performances of his career.

"New" album coming with the Royal Philharmonic:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/hear-elvis-presleys-powerful-newly-orchestrated-if-i-can-dream-20150812

I wasn't that interested until I heard this:

I get chills whenever I hear that song from the '68 special. One of the finest vocal performances of all time.

Fixed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Fantastic singer, that had a horrible manager (and other bad people around him) that did not do good for him, for example did not allow him to take movie roles that did not include singing and especially his manager did not do what he could to help the man out with his demons. But of course at the end of the day, it's the persons own responsibility to sort it out.

But great singer, love his 68-77 period live. Shaky moments after 74 yes, but still awesome moments here and there. Like his last show, sounded superb there.

He was singing songs while others wrote songs for him long before everyone else was doing it.

He is a huge influence on so many artists. When it comes to 50's rock, I enjoy the songs, but I would listen to Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry or even Jerry Lee Lewis over Elvis.

He also banged underage girls before Ted Nugent, Jimmy Page and fuck it, pretty much every rock star was doing it.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone listen to the "new" album?

Yeah, I grabbed it and I've listened to it a couple of times.

I'd say about half of it is excellent. I love some of the vocal choices and despise others. The worst stuff on it by far is Fever (w/ Buble), American Trilogy and How Great Thou Art.

They used the studio vocal for Fever and How Great Thou Art which was a mistake. Elvis has a lot more personality on any live version of Fever and Buble WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY overdoes it, so it's just unlistenable IMO. Every single live version of How Great Thou Art has far more feeling than the studio version, so I cannot imagine why they chose the studio vocal.

Big highlights are Bridge Over Troubled Water and If I Can Dream. The latter sounds exactly like Elvis would have wanted it to IMO. The chose excellent vocals for Bridge, merging 2 live versions together. One is from 1970 while the outro chorus is from 1972. It's probably exactly the vocals I would have chose if I were in charge. The orchestrations lend themselves really well to the song too. For me, this version of Bridge is the version by which all others will be judged, it's that good.

My other issue with it is the rest of the tracklisting being very lackluster. Songs like And The Grass Won't Pay No Mind, Steamroller Blues and There's Always Me make absolutely NO sense. Dude didn't even like those songs that much and of the 3, only sang Steamroller a couple times live as more of a joke then anything.

So many other songs that he truly loved would have been much better choices. Always On My Mind, Make The World Go Away, Twenty Days And Twenty Nights, I've Lost You, Just Pretend.............. any or all of these would have been better choices and more in line with Elvis' song choice direction. I honestly cannot understand how at least Just Pretend didn't make it on here but bullshit like the studio vocal for Love Me Tender made the cut.

Never been a fan of the 70's Elvis as all I can think of is all the impersonators you see everywhere these days but I do love the young Elvis of the 50's when his music was dynamic and before he became jaded.

ordered this set last week and really looking forward to it

http://www.elvisnews.com/news.aspx/the-complete-50s-live-recordings/14807#.VkycwU3rvDB