Rocket Queen on Live Era...Where is the rhythm guitar?

Highway Zero

I listened to "RQ" for the first time in a while from Live Era and there is no rhythm guitar on it...nada. Listen to the left speaker. No guitar. How did they fuck this up? It's too bad because it's a good performance, but it sounds limp without Izzy (or Gilby). Anybody else ever notice this?

It's one of the many errors on the album unfortunately. There's also some missing guitar in Mr. Brownstone near the beginning when the guitars first come in.

And, of course, the re-recorded vocals but that's a whole other story.

Never noticed this to be honest, but it wouldn't surprise me. Always loved this track in particular, I think the ending to this live era version is just amazing.....Axl's vocals are spot on.

I do however feel that it's almost impossible to not notice that alot of studio work has been done on top of these tracks. So if the rhythm guitar is indeed missing from this track, it may well be intentional..... and it would have been Gilby for sure, as this performance of Rocket Queen was from 92 I believe.

Never noticed this to be honest, but it wouldn't surprise me. Always loved this track in particular, I think the ending to this live era version is just amazing.....Axl's vocals are spot on.

Agreed. Even though it's not truly a live take since Axl re-recorded the vocals, it's easily one of the best Rocket Queen performances to date. Axl's voice is as close to perfect as it can get.

Agreed. Even though it's not truly a live take since Axl re-recorded the vocals, it's easily one of the best Rocket Queen performances to date. Axl's voice is as close to perfect as it can get.

That's what makes it all more disappointing to me. You hear Dizzy's organ in the left channel, but not a note of Gilby's guitar. :thumbsdown:

I don't mind if Axl fixed some vocals here and there, that's pretty much the norm with live albums. I just can't believe that if they were so careful about the vocals they would miss something so obvious like a missing guitar track. :tongue2:

Another thing I noticed is on "Dust & Bones" many of Axl's vocal parts are mixed out. Izzy sound kind of odd without him there. I've heard versions from 1991 that sound much better with mixed in like he should be.

Can anybody recommend a strong 1991 show (w/Izzy) that has really good sound?

Although Live Era is largely a studio recording, the rhythm guitar thing was definitely apparent throughout the entire UYI tour. Listen to any performance and Slash is cranked right up whilst Gilby or Izzy are barley audiable.

Strange considering how in 88 both guitar players seemed to be on the same level volume-wise

I always wonder why aren't this is a real live album...

GNR's strongest potential is the live shows...

Many vocalists go in and touch up vocals on live albums. It's pretty common. Kiss Alive, one of the most popular "live" albums of all time has tons of "fixes".

It's just strange that if GNR was going through the trouble to fix vocal parts that somebody would miss such an obvious fuck up like leaving the rhythm guitar off a track. :tongue2:

• 2 weeks later...

Live Era, imo, is more an experimental album made by Axl, something like a warm up of his new voice for the public, I guess. He probably was thinking that CD would be released a few years later, so it was like a welcome back into the music industry. Well, i'm just speculating, of course.

But what really bothers me is this Slash's statement: "[Live Era is] not pretty and there are a lot of mistakes, but this is Guns N' Roses, not the fucking Mahavishnu Orchestra. It's as honest as it gets" (Guitar World Presents: Guitar Legends - Slash #76 pg.12). Everybody knows, and he more than anyone, that the album was pretty much re-recorded, mainly Axl's vocals. Why pretend this album is an honest live material?

About the re-recorded vocals made by Axl, there's an interesting old thread in this forum in which IndiannaRose analyzed and detailed almost every song that was vocally revamped (http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?showtopic=25930&st=0&p=406914entry406914).

Edited by GHS

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Can anybody recommend a strong 1991 show (w/Izzy) that has really good sound?

If memory serves, both shows in Stockholm was great. Can't tell you which was best though, haven't heard them in ages, but try them out.

Guest Broskirose

Umm so I just listened to it again and you might need good headphones to hear this but what in the fuck is that noise that sounds like a farting bass in the background at 6:58? Never noticed it before but now it's bothering the shit out of me.

• 1 month later...

I've always wondered what the strange noise is either roght before the talkbox solo or right after, where I always mentally sing "Tastes Good, Don't It?!"was. Almost sounds like Slash thought his mouth was already on the tube when it wasn't

I always wonder why aren't this is a real live album...

GNR's strongest potential is the live shows...

apparently it had to do with axl using his own mic hookup back in the day or something - they didn't have great quality (CD-worthy quality, anyway) recordings to use of his vocals so he had to go back in and re-do entire songs.