Is it possible that CD's lack of promotion was due to Finck's departure from the band?

Towelie

Finck was an integral part of the album and was the main writer of Better - which was supposed to be the lead single.

There seems to be a lot of mystery surrounding his departure from GNR, but perhaps his leaving could explain Axl's reluctance to promote the record properly.

Think about it, you're gonna be pretty pissed if you spend years making a record and when it's finally about to drop, one of the most important band members decides to quit.

It meant they couldn't tour the record until they auditioned for a replacement and it also meant the band would look very awkward appearing in a music video for the lead single with either Ron or Fortus pretending to play Robin Finck's solo.

Edited by Towelie

Finck was an integral part of the album and was the main writer of Better - which was supposed to be the lead single.

There seems to be a lot of mystery surrounding his departure from GNR, but perhaps his leaving could explain Axl's reluctance to promote the record properly.

Think about it, you're gonna be pretty pissed if you spend years making a record and when it's finally about to drop, one of the most important band members decides to quit.

It meant they couldn't tour the record until they auditioned for a replacement and it also meant the band would look very awkward appearing in a music video for the lead single with either Ron or Fortus pretending to play Robin Finck's solo.

I doubt it. Izzy didn't even show for the "Don't Cry" video and then quit the band...and he was co-writer too. They went on to do major promotion and this was at the height of their fame.

I don't think most people beyond the very loyal know anybody's name in GNR now except for Axl.

Axl just isn't into doing major promotion beyond touring at this point, which is fine. Chinese Democracy being released was going to be news video or no video. CD's just don't sell like they used to and many people don't buy into the fact that the band is GNR without Slash in particular.

No, not at all...

The reason why Robin left I think is obvious, and that's simply because things weren't happening with GN'R as fast as he'd hoped. I'm willing to bet that if he had indeed known that CD was going to be released later that year, he might not have bailed as fast as he did, who knows. And again, it's a lack of comunication between bandmembers that is an issue, or indeed Axl.

Fincks departure is not the reason at all why Axl never promoted the album, that's down to Axl's own personal issues, in which I still cannot comprehend.

I'm actually still quite miffed as to why Axl felt no connection whatesover or responsibility to do ANY sort of promotion for the album.

It's almost as if Axl doesn't want to be seen to be doing his absolute best at anything, because if "it" fails, it's always going to be seen as Axl wasn't putting 100% in it anyway....... so Axl saves face kind of..... very strange indeed. :krider:

It was because Axl was forced to release something he wasn't happy with and therefore refused to do promotion. That's how I think it went down.

Yeah he really showed them...

I didn't say it made any sense! :lol:

It was because Axl was forced to release something he wasn't happy with and therefore refused to do promotion. That's how I think it went down.

Yeah he really showed them...

If Axl wasn't satisfied after 15 years going through material for CD, he was never going to be satisfied with it. I don't think he was forced to put out anything he didn't want to put out.

I think the lack of promoting the album and getting out there on tour was why robin left.

The record company was rumored ot have rejected CD twice.

I think Axl just went in there to turn in the record and said here it is and that all your getting, take or leave it, and that is why it was not promoted by Axl or the record company.

The record company didn't get what they wanted which was a reunion and just to spite them Axl gave them a big fuck you with the release of CD and quite possibly the songs that ended up on the record he turned in.

He didn't give them the lyrics to the songs for the booklet and you can see by the inaccuracy of the booklet.

And recorded company returned the fuck you by not promoting it, and letting it go on sale without hardly any promotion.

And they wanted CD to fall flat on it's face to hopefully get Axl backed into a corner and get the old band back together. Yet he toured time and time again because people kept coming to the shows and that gave him the money to deify them and keep the new band going.

Judging by the songs we heard in 2002 and them being basically the same as the the album, I would say the album was ready in late 02 or early 03.

I think it is that simple.

Bottom Line.......Both sided fucked up the release of CD no matter how you look at it. They where having a pissing contest and they both lost.

Guest gunns5

Nope, you're all wrong as to why Robin left.

hes right, if Finck left on bad terms, Axl wouldn't of invited him on stage for a few songs.

There's more to it

Being a NIN fan, it was great to see Robin back but finally having CD on my hands and knowing Robin was out really sucked. I'm curious to see what's next for him, I want much more music from Robin, the guy is my favorite guitar player. I don't compare him with Slash nor DJ, but IMO, the best sidekick Axl has ever had.

Finck wanted to spite Axl with the timing of his departure to tour with NIN, this much is obvious.

CD was not promoted because Axl didn't want to go there. The record kind of happened on its own because of management, came out with the wrong dated artwork etc., all Axl really was interested was trying to stop it being released up until the very end.

So thats why Axl wen't awol and why there was no promotion. He didn't want it out there at the time.

Guest gunns5

Axl's lack of promotion had nothing to do with Robin leaving or vice versa.. The Azoff debacle had more to do with Robin 'leaving' than Axl's antics(or lack of) prior to and during the launch...

this man speaks truth, read between the lines people!

Nope, you're all wrong as to why Robin left.

hes right, if Finck left on bad terms, Axl wouldn't of invited him on stage for a few songs.

There's more to it

Yes sir. You are correct. It's actually pretty easy to figure it out. Think about what everyone on the planet does, or tries to do, and why. I'll say no more.

Edited by Sweersa

"Robin Finck [was] getting paid loads of money to hang out with Axl Rose and his house was getting paid for. You know what, fuck you."

-Trent Reznor, 2005

Wiki:

Finck was invited to rejoin NIN to tour in support of their 2005 album With Teeth but chose not to and the position was filled by Aaron North. In the summer of 2006, he toured Europe with Guns N' Roses playing in front of over 700,000 people. They finished up by touring North America for the remainder of the year, and went to Mexico, Australia and Japan in 2007.

On April 4, 2008, it was announced via nin.com that Finck would be rejoining Nine Inch Nails as a member of the live band. He subsequently contributed to the Nine Inch Nails album The Slip, earning a performance credit alongside then-band members Josh Freese and Alessandro Cortini.

In November 2008 Guns N' Roses' long awaited album Chinese Democracy was released. Finck has a co-writing credit on the song "Better", which was later released as a single. He also played guitar on every track, performed 7 of the guitar solos and has additional credits for keyboards, arrangements and pre-production. He chose to remain with NIN after the album's release and, as of March 21, 2009, has been replaced as the lead guitarist of Guns N' Roses by DJ Ashba. The official Guns N' Roses website states that "Robin continues to be part of GN'R, by virtue of Guns' history and his involvement in Chinese Democracy".

Finck wanted to spite Axl with the timing of his departure to tour with NIN, this much is obvious.

CD was not promoted because Axl didn't want to go there. The record kind of happened on its own because of management, came out with the wrong dated artwork etc., all Axl really was interested was trying to stop it being released up until the very end.

So thats why Axl wen't awol and why there was no promotion. He didn't want it out there at the time.

I don't think that's true. Finck has been back and fourth, he left NIN to be part of a "real" band in GNR, that went nowhere, so he jumped back on NIN, then when that was over, back to GNR since nothing new happened since he left the last time. Listen to the old demos, CD was basically done years before it was released, with additional parts added, mainly because it wasn't released yet and new people joined that band so they could add stuff if they wanted, not because it really needed to happen...I think Finck did what he did with GNR and nothing was happening. He recorded most of what he did years ago. What was he going to do? Hang out while various people came into the band year by year and added their ideas to songs that could have been released already?

He's been touring with NIN since 1994, he has a relationship with Trent, and he's spinning his wheels in GNR. Why not go back to NIN? What he did with GNR is in the can, why turn down NIN? It's a chance to play, with a band he's associated with. And it turned out to be their farewell tour, and as a NIN fan, I'm happy he was the guitarist for it - wouldn't seem right for anyone else to fill that role.

Axl didn't promote so he'd have an excuse to why the album didn't sell. Same for the Best Buy deal. The Best Buy deal allowed the record company to make back a lot of what they spent which helped as well. Limiting the available places to purchase the album and having little promotion is a solid scapegoat for low album sales. I don't think it had anything to do with Robin, just Axl's insecurity.

No, it was Axl. If he would've wanted to promote it, he would have. Simple as that. Instead he started hissy fitting and shot himself in the foot. Love the guy, but he sure makes some weird decisions.