You know where to put your..just shut up and sing...

tippin

So I'm sitting here watching the HOB show in Chicago, and it seems like Axl puts more emphasis in that line than any other the whole show..Why do you think that is? Personal experience with a certain top hatted guitarist? Just really seems like its coming from the heart...and before this turns into a Slash vs Axl thread, I'm a fan of all incarnations of GNR..but if I was the frontman, and that was ever said to me..I'd be pretty fuckin pissed off...Not saying Axl's anywhere near perfect..Just saying that if that was the amount of respect in the band at that point, it's probably best they broke up...Thoughts?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In GNRSkidRow1's defense, this topic has been brought up before. We don't have a clear, definitive answer as to whether it is indeed about someone (i.e. Slash) or if it's just a song. Some of the things seem clear cut (perhaps that particular line comes from when Slash told Axl to shut up and sing, or the "I'll kick your ass like I said that I would" coming from that live show where Axl said he'd kick Slash's fucking ass), but regardless anything that we say is conjecture with no concrete answer. No one knows if the song is about a person, or if it is indeed all made up and just a song.

Regardless, it's fun to think about.

In GNRSkidRow1's defense, this topic has been brought up before. We don't have a clear, definitive answer as to whether it is indeed about someone (i.e. Slash) or if it's just a song. Some of the things seem clear cut (perhaps that particular line comes from when Slash told Axl to shut up and sing, or the "I'll kick your ass like I said that I would" coming from that live show where Axl said he'd kick Slash's fucking ass), but regardless anything that we say is conjecture with no concrete answer. No one knows if the song is about a person, or if it is indeed all made up and just a song.

Agree, in the Japan video he announces "and no, it's not about someone I used to know" - so obviously this has been floating around for some time. Why are people continuing to interpret lyrics or words into another Slash v Axl thread? It's been done like - millions of times :sleeper:

From what I remember from the Axl Chats, Axl said something along the lines of that the song is more about a bunch of things and is more general than specifically referring just to Slash or just to the fanbase.

I'm just saying..they're not the kind of lyrics that come out of nowhere...common sense says he's talking about something that was actually said..maybe I'm wrong..but just doesn't seem like the kind of thing someone would make up...who knows..maybe he was talking about Goldstein or someone...But that doesn't make as much sense...Ya know?

And sorry GNRskidrow...not trying to be a dick...just sayin based on the history of the band, that's how it came across...

Oh...and I don't read the forums everyday, so of its been discussed a bunch of times, my bad...

I always interpreted that specific line (and the "use and confuse them; they're numb and naive" lyric) as specifically about Slash. Other parts of the song, maybe not, but those were specifically addressing Slash, I thought.

I also have this romantic idea that Prostitute is about Slash, but I know I'll get my balls busted on this site for such an opinion. :rolleyes:

Who knows KDH? Musicians tend to draw off personal experience...Either way, interpreting songs is better than the old Axl's mustache thread...Just curious to get other peoples opinions...

Edited by tippin

Most of Axl's lyrics (and most lyrics in general tbh) aren't about just one thing, and is often broader than that, and often up to the listener to a degree.

It could be somewhat directed at slash, whilst also being at management, labels etc. (can totally imagine some fat suited record excutive saying that to him sometime in his past...or him hearing of someone saying it about him through the grapevine).

Axl's dealt with a lot more ppl then just Slash in his life,....if it were about slash and nothing else, then that is a crazy infatuation on his behalf and he should move on :P

This is actually a very relevant topic.

Anyone following the recent drama in the VR section of the forum, around whether Weiland is back in VR or not, will know why. After seeing Slash's latest pronouncement saying that he has nothing to do with Scott's claims of returning to front that band, even a few reunionistas and Slash fanboys are falling over themselves in slagging him.

Hilarious, really. Scott Weiland is probably one of the few people who can empathize with Axl - i'd never thought i'd say that rolleyes.gif

I'm just saying..they're not the kind of lyrics that come out of nowhere...common sense says he's talking about something that was actually said..maybe I'm wrong..but just doesn't seem like the kind of thing someone would make up...who knows..maybe he was talking about Goldstein or someone...But that doesn't make as much sense...Ya know?

And sorry GNRskidrow...not trying to be a dick...just sayin based on the history of the band, that's how it came across...

Oh...and I don't read the forums everyday, so of its been discussed a bunch of times, my bad...

Hey no worries man, I was just saying...I can see why someone would reply with a sort of, "Oh this again?" reply haha. I do infact like song interpretation conversations though. I wish we had explanations for every song on ChiDem, so we would just know!

Here is the quote from when Axl was on the forums (found in the Axl Chats #3):

Axl: I tried sending this ages ago but apparently it never went through. It was a direct response but now fits others questions on the same subject.

The whole whose it about bit w/songs doesn't work for me that much as in whether a line or whatever was inspired by a particular person or situation doesn't mean that in the end that's what or who the song's about.

I could be working with clay and think of someone or something and somehow that could inspire me to take the work in a different direction at the moment but in the end it could just be a nice vase.

I often wonder where the people who inspired so many songs are now and why it's only important with some songs such as Layla as opposed to others. I'm guessin' a fair # of beautiful love songs or otherwise were inspired by some that the artists and public might consider now or in hindsight to be the opposite of how they are depicted or allegedly represented.

With Sorry.. like a lot of the material is drawn from a lot of different situations. The main focus on the boards w/the track seems to be either Slash or "the fans" (and the collective of "the fans" is another thing that doesn't work for me) and is much too restrictive or narrow and limits what I feel I intended.

For me it's for anyone talking nonsense at mine and the public's expense and that many of those as well as the public don't know who to believe.

Also where possible I'd like to give people the opportunity to get what they can from the material for a while before clouding that with my inspirations. Of course that's not always avoidable.

Edited by WhazUp

Axl: I tried sending this ages ago but apparently it never went through. It was a direct response but now fits others questions on the same subject.

The whole whose it about bit w/songs doesn't work for me that much as in whether a line or whatever was inspired by a particular person or situation doesn't mean that in the end that's what or who the song's about.

I could be working with clay and think of someone or something and somehow that could inspire me to take the work in a different direction at the moment but in the end it could just be a nice vase.

I often wonder where the people who inspired so many songs are now and why it's only important with some songs such as Layla as opposed to others. I'm guessin' a fair # of beautiful love songs or otherwise were inspired by some that the artists and public might consider now or in hindsight to be the opposite of how they are depicted or allegedly represented.

With Sorry.. like a lot of the material is drawn from a lot of different situations. The main focus on the boards w/the track seems to be either Slash or "the fans" (and the collective of "the fans" is another thing that doesn't work for me) and is much too restrictive or narrow and limits what I feel I intended.

For me it's for anyone talking nonsense at mine and the public's expense and that many of those as well as the public don't know who to believe.

Also where possible I'd like to give people the opportunity to get what they can from the material for a while before clouding that with my inspirations. Of course that's not always avoidable.

There we go. So perhaps the lines we're thinking of are indeed inspired by actions or Slash in general, but we'll honestly never know for 100% certainty.

Strange ... I thought there was an interview with (or a letter from?!?) Axl in which he once stated that a certain guitarist once said that line to him while working on new material after the UYI world tour. I don't take records of everything I read, but since this forum is my primary source for GN'R news, I'm pretty sure that I've read that somewhere on this board here. And no, it wasn't "I've heard from someone who knows someone who ...", it was an Axl statement, as far as I recall. But oh well ... I don't have the time to go all Sherlock Holmes on this one ... :rolleyes:

There we go. So perhaps the lines we're thinking of are indeed inspired by actions or Slash in general, but we'll honestly never know for 100% certainty.

Does anyone else think that Axl writes in cryptic?? I can never understand what he says, he makes a long statement that you read over & over & still can't decipher :question:

Does anyone else think that Axl writes in cryptic?? I can never understand what he says, he makes a long statement that you read over & over & still can't decipher :question:

It's like weird legal gibberish.

fuck. i accidentally deleted my post when editing it.

but yeah, basically i think you can tell axl spent a lot of time in and out of courts and "spiritual healers'" offices in the '90s, because ever since the 'oh my god' press release in '99 (which had been his first statement in years, i believe) he's been writing very cryptically, equally influenced by emotions and court-talk. he'll say something that could be phrased simply but make it sound sort of twisty and evasive, even though it usually does make sense. many times i've had to re-read his sentences because you feel like they've dropped you for a loop. good example: For me it's for anyone talking nonsense at mine and the public's expense and that many of those as well as the public don't know who to believe.

it's definitely interesting and i always get a kick out of reading his letters.

Edited by Estranged Reality