You know where to put your..just shut up and sing...

tippin

Strange ... I thought there was an interview with (or a letter from?!?) Axl in which he once stated that a certain guitarist once said that line to him while working on new material after the UYI world tour. I don't take records of everything I read, but since this forum is my primary source for GN'R news, I'm pretty sure that I've read that somewhere on this board here. And no, it wasn't "I've heard from someone who knows someone who ...", it was an Axl statement, as far as I recall. But oh well ... I don't have the time to go all Sherlock Holmes on this one ... :rolleyes:

There you go, from Axl's "homework essay" ie Dexter chat number 6.

And I’m not talking change of styles or sounds etc. A lot of people bought that crap and me having gone in other directions seems to many to have verified that. Then you have the mind twisting equally as true horseshit in Slash’s book but I have the rehearsal tapes. There’s nothing but Slash based blues rock and he stopped it to both go solo and try to completely take over Guns. I read all this if Axl would’ve put words and melodies on it could’ve… That was denied and I didn’t walk till several months after having 3 to 4 hour phone conversations nearly every day with Slash trying to reach a compromise. I was specifically told no lyrics, no melodies, no changes to anything and to sing what I was told or fuck off.

Edited by LandOla

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the quote from when Axl was on the forums (found in the Axl Chats #3):

Axl: I tried sending this ages ago but apparently it never went through. It was a direct response but now fits others questions on the same subject.

The whole whose it about bit w/songs doesn't work for me that much as in whether a line or whatever was inspired by a particular person or situation doesn't mean that in the end that's what or who the song's about.

I could be working with clay and think of someone or something and somehow that could inspire me to take the work in a different direction at the moment but in the end it could just be a nice vase.

I often wonder where the people who inspired so many songs are now and why it's only important with some songs such as Layla as opposed to others. I'm guessin' a fair # of beautiful love songs or otherwise were inspired by some that the artists and public might consider now or in hindsight to be the opposite of how they are depicted or allegedly represented.

With Sorry.. like a lot of the material is drawn from a lot of different situations. The main focus on the boards w/the track seems to be either Slash or "the fans" (and the collective of "the fans" is another thing that doesn't work for me) and is much too restrictive or narrow and limits what I feel I intended.

For me it's for anyone talking nonsense at mine and the public's expense and that many of those as well as the public don't know who to believe.

Also where possible I'd like to give people the opportunity to get what they can from the material for a while before clouding that with my inspirations. Of course that's not always avoidable.

There we go. So perhaps the lines we're thinking of are indeed inspired by actions or Slash in general, but we'll honestly never know for 100% certainty.

Does anyone else think that Axl writes in cryptic?? I can never understand what he says, he makes a long statement that you read over & over & still can't decipher :question:

I got that he wrote it about different people, including some fans that want him to be a certain way. It's just a song that addresses that he's his own man, and no matter what people say about him or try to manipulate the situation into, he's not going to play.

It's partly about Slash. He's not denying it. But on a songwriting angle, there's only so much shit you're going to write about your own life. I'm sure there are times he'd rather listen to someone talk about their experiences than talk about his own life.

He understands as a music fan, people are going to want to know what a song's about.

Sure it's been mentioned by now, but I'm pretty sure Slash once told Axl to just shut up and sing. I can't remember if it was from Slash's book or Duff's, or either, but I recall it...if he quotes it in a song all these years later it's probably something that really pissed him off, explaining why he'd sing it the way he does.

Sure it's been mentioned by now, but I'm pretty sure Slash once told Axl to just shut up and sing. I can't remember if it was from Slash's book or Duff's, or either, but I recall it...if he quotes it in a song all these years later it's probably something that really pissed him off, explaining why he'd sing it the way he does.

There you go, from Axl's "homework essay" ie Dexter chat number 6.

And I’m not talking change of styles or sounds etc. A lot of people bought that crap and me having gone in other directions seems to many to have verified that. Then you have the mind twisting equally as true horseshit in Slash’s book but I have the rehearsal tapes. There’s nothing but Slash based blues rock and he stopped it to both go solo and try to completely take over Guns. I read all this if Axl would’ve put words and melodies on it could’ve… That was denied and I didn’t walk till several months after having 3 to 4 hour phone conversations nearly every day with Slash trying to reach a compromise. I was specifically told no lyrics, no melodies, no changes to anything and to sing what I was told or fuck off.

Axl: I tried sending this ages ago but apparently it never went through. It was a direct response but now fits others questions on the same subject.

The whole whose it about bit w/songs doesn't work for me that much as in whether a line or whatever was inspired by a particular person or situation doesn't mean that in the end that's what or who the song's about.

I could be working with clay and think of someone or something and somehow that could inspire me to take the work in a different direction at the moment but in the end it could just be a nice vase.

I often wonder where the people who inspired so many songs are now and why it's only important with some songs such as Layla as opposed to others. I'm guessin' a fair # of beautiful love songs or otherwise were inspired by some that the artists and public might consider now or in hindsight to be the opposite of how they are depicted or allegedly represented.

With Sorry.. like a lot of the material is drawn from a lot of different situations. The main focus on the boards w/the track seems to be either Slash or "the fans" (and the collective of "the fans" is another thing that doesn't work for me) and is much too restrictive or narrow and limits what I feel I intended.

For me it's for anyone talking nonsense at mine and the public's expense and that many of those as well as the public don't know who to believe.

Also where possible I'd like to give people the opportunity to get what they can from the material for a while before clouding that with my inspirations. Of course that's not always avoidable.

There we go. So perhaps the lines we're thinking of are indeed inspired by actions or Slash in general, but we'll honestly never know for 100% certainty.

Does anyone else think that Axl writes in cryptic?? I can never understand what he says, he makes a long statement that you read over & over & still can't decipher :question:

yea..he drags em out til it gets too hard to readf, rather than simplify his answers. Then again, due to legalities, he clearly has no other choice

"(Why can't you just) Shut Up and Sing" is what Matt Sorum said to or near Axl during the UYI tour during a riot or a time when he walked off stage and Matt became frustrated because he just wanted to play music and not deal with all the drama.

I'm sayin it was about all the rest of the members that abandoned ship

one of the greatest power ballads ever recorded

"the difference is nobody cares about you"

Edited by shades

yea..he drags em out til it gets too hard to readf, rather than simplify his answers. Then again, due to legalities, he clearly has no other choice

What legalities? He's just answering it as the songwriter, he's not as blatant as he used to be.

are you sure the slash incident you guys are talking about the one where slash said something like "our singers taking a break" and from behind the stage axl heard something differently and called him out for it on stage?

No that was different. Axl cut his hand open on the mic stand and went back-stage to get it wrapped up. Slash came up and tried to explain to the audience what was going on and Axl thought he heard Slash say something about a "costume change" and got pissed off at him.

Funny vid/audio.

are you sure the slash incident you guys are talking about the one where slash said something like "our singers taking a break" and from behind the stage axl heard something differently and called him out for it on stage?

No that was different. Axl cut his hand open on the mic stand and went back-stage to get it wrapped up. Slash came up and tried to explain to the audience what was going on and Axl thought he heard Slash say something about a "costume change" and got pissed off at him.

Funny vid/audio.

And I think it was one of the Trunk interviews where he talked about this and said that he apologized instantly when he found out he was wrong.

I think Sorry is one of Axl's greatest lyrical performances. I do not believe it was directed at one person, each jab seemed to be shot at several people. Producers, ex girlfriends, ex band members. Truth is the truths hurts might be directed at Slash though.

Funny vid/audio.

And I think it was one of the Trunk interviews where he talked about this and said that he apologized instantly when he found out he was wrong.

Yes at 11 seconds he said "clothing change, just be patient" - Axl heard it from backstage. Seemed a rather minute thing to come out & abuse Slash for but then Axl doesn't do things by halves.

There is/was a clip on youtube of the incident where Axl's hand was cut & he wrapped around something large to finish the song before going off to have it attended to. Might still be on there.

Edited by rock4eva