Axl in 2006

blackrose87

Just looking at some vids of GNR back in 2006. What strikes me is how good Axl's voice was back then. He isn't nearly as breathless as he does be now and there's plenty of power in his voice. Yet at the time I remember he was getting slated for how he sounded. Any opinions??

I feel that Sailing from that era was one of Axl's best vocal performances since the old days, I wish there was a good quality version of it though. I think that as a whole 2010 was better in my opinion but there are some fantastic 06 shows like the Los Angeles shows in December, Rock Am Ring, etc. Like you said though, I remember people bashing his voice in 2006 but now the majority of people here are praising it - sort of like when Finck left the general consensus of his plaing changed

Edited by WhazUp

the bar has been set so low over the last years that even the 2002 vma performance doesn't look that bad now

no the VMA performance was terrible. People seem to rant and rave about his 2010 voice but I think 2006 was the best he had sounded since 93. I guess the the guy is 50 now and you definitely cannot expect him to be the same as he was when he was 40 never mind 20.

The high pitched voice suited Madagascar and The Blues really well. In 2006 though, there were some shocking performances, like Lisboa for example. His voice sounds so weak that you would never have thought it was the same guy that was singing at RockAM

Just looking at some vids of GNR back in 2006. What strikes me is how good Axl's voice was back then. He isn't nearly as breathless as he does be now and there's plenty of power in his voice. Yet at the time I remember he was getting slated for how he sounded. Any opinions??

I think Axl's voice for the most part in 2006 was very good, although I agree with RIR in Lisbon was a weak performance ... There is no doubt to me 2010 has been his best vocals since the early days. 2006 he was in definitely better shape than now. It seems now that he struggles with the rasp on certain songs but songs like Jungle he can still nail. Bottom line is live and in person he still sounds very good and his performances are still quite good for the most part. Fact is Axl is getting older and his voice might just not be able to handle the strain it use to and to me thats OK. I'd rather have Axl preform and not have the rasp of younger years than not at all.

I remember watching Rock Am Ring for the first time and being blown away by how great he sounded. That's probably the best New Guns concert in my opinion. I at the time never got the hate on Axl's look at the time either. I thought he looked badass.

Seeing the band live in 06 was what sealed the deal for me. Lol

People get older and they change.

The key question is, can Axl still carry Guns through a 2-3 hour concert, and the answer, so far, is a resounding yes.

Edited by Mysteron

The key question is, can Axl still carry Guns through a 2-3 hour concert, and the answer, so far, is a resounding yes.

His physical performances are lacking, though.

At least in 2006 he was having fun with moving around the stage. Less so than in 2002 - but that's because he knew he had to stop running around in order to sing correctly.

These days you can predict what he's going to do physically for every song. It's almost like watching GNR: The Musical.

His physical performances are lacking, though.

At least in 2006 he was having fun with moving around the stage. Less so than in 2002 - but that's because he knew he had to stop running around in order to sing correctly.

These days you can predict what he's going to do physically for every song. It's almost like watching GNR: The Musical.

You are a man, and Axl does not please you physically on stage. That is not for me to judge.

Proper bands, for me, are about the music, and the delivery of that music. And right now Guns do that; according to people here that have been to the recent concerts.

You are a man, and Axl does not please you physically on stage. That is not for me to judge.

Proper bands, for me, are about the music, and the delivery of that music. And right now Guns do that; according to people here that have been to the recent concerts.

Part of Axl's legacy as a frontman is his stage presence. What are you going to be saying in 10 years when his knees go and he can barely move onstage?

"Just like the old days!"

Like Grace Slick said before she retired at age 50 from Jefferson Airplane - "all rockers over the age of 50 look stupid and should retire".

It's only downhill from here. Axl set the bar high for himself and he'll never live up to our memories of him from 20 years ago.

Axl could have performed at the Hall of Fame ceremony, gave it his all for 3 songs, and ended his career on a high note. Instead we get Year 13 of the Chinese Democracy World Tour.

Sad times.

Edited by Freddie Mercury's Ghost

Part of Axl's legacy as a frontman is his stage presence. What are you going to be saying in 10 years when his knees go and he can barely move onstage?

"Just like the old days!"

Like Grace Slick said before she retired at age 50 from Jefferson Airplane - "all rockers over the age of 50 look stupid and should retire".

It's only downhill from here. Axl set the bar high for himself and he'll never live up to our memories of him from 20 years ago.

Axl could have performed at the Hall of Fame ceremony, gave it his all for 3 songs, and ended his career on a high note. Instead we get Year 13 of the Chinese Democracy World Tour.

Sad times.

And you opinions are fine. But why taint threads here with your negativity?

You obviously hold Guns in a certain regard, and noone can take that away from you. But times have moved on. Guns are still going, and there are people out there enjoying what they are doing right now.

I just find it daft that even now, people cannot move on and let nature take it's course

Edited by Mysteron