Axl in 2006

blackrose87

In 2006 though, there were some shocking performances, like Lisboa for example.

Lisboa had mixing problems on both the TV broadcast and webstream, so that shouldn't count against Axl.

Rock in Rio III had the same problem with Axl's mic being drowned out in the mix/amped incorrectly.

Meh, other artists sounded fine from what I listened to.

Something I've always wondered was the legitimacy over Axl's voice in the 2002 days, as his voice just sounded so unnatural. It sounded good for some of the songs, but range was just too high and always had me questioning if it was being enhanced. What do you all think?

Something I've always wondered was the legitimacy over Axl's voice in the 2002 days, as his voice just sounded so unnatural. It sounded good for some of the songs, but range was just too high and always had me questioning if it was being enhanced. What do you all think?

On I think the Osaka monitor-mix bootleg from 2002, Axl says something like "if you have an EQ on me take it off" to the technicians.

After 7 years of not singing, I don't think he had a desire to retrain his voice properly. The fact that the final Chinese Democracy tracks appear to have the same vocals as he recorded for the 1999 demos meant he had no confidence in his voice. Instead of doing retakes, he just autotuned the hell out of them.

On I think the Osaka monitor-mix bootleg from 2002, Axl says something like "if you have an EQ on me take it off" to the technicians.

After 7 years of not singing, I don't think he had a desire to retrain his voice properly. The fact that the final Chinese Democracy tracks appear to have the same vocals as he recorded for the 1999 demos meant he had no confidence in his voice. Instead of doing retakes, he just autotuned the hell out of them.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

First, EQ is just an ordinary thing, everyone uses it. There's even presets on your iPod for your personal taste. That's not enough to modify his voice that way.

Second, the fact that he left the 1999 tracks as it was is more than enough to prove that he had pretty good confidence on his voice. And no, he didn't "just autotuned the hell out of them".

And no, he didn't "just autotuned the hell out of them".

Uh, yes he did. Listen to the multitracks - it's obvious.

Also - the TWAT demo is sung in an entirely different key than the final track - but it's the same vocal take. How is that possible without autotune?

It's not.

Edited by Freddie Mercury's Ghost

Also - the TWAT demo is sung in an entirely different key than the final track - but it's the same vocal take. How is that possible without autotune?

It's not.

If the vocal takes were the same but different keys, wouldn't the songs also be in different keys? Autotune from my understanding is correcting someones pitch to match the keys as they are singing. Not bumping it up or down a key or whatever after it had already been recorded.

It's not.

If the vocal takes were the same but different keys, wouldn't the songs also be in different keys? Autotune from my understanding is correcting someones pitch to match the keys as they are singing. Not bumping it up or down a key or whatever after it had already been recorded.

The thing is that they aren't in different keys, that demo was probably recorded from a cassete tape and it had some flaws in both tune and tempo.

People tend to think that anything highly compressed, with any effects or with some unusual pitch is autotune. I still think it's very questionable that Axl used autotune on SOME songs and definatly NOT "the hell out of them".

It's not.

The demo is not the correct pitch, they are a bit flat. Same with Catcher in The Rye and IRS, the speed of the 1999 demos are not the original speed of the tracks, which is probably a result of transferring the songs from cassette to .mp3 files I am assuming. (Edit: voodoochild said the same thing, he is correct)

Edited by WhazUp

i think axl sounded awesome then and still does i saw him at dallas and it was fucking epic really but as everyone on this forum can tell is that Axl is 50 and he wont sound as good as 06 or 90s Axl. I feel that Axl should tour on smaller venues something small so he wont have to reach so high n fuck up his voice and he should play acoustic stuff too that would be fucking awesome

To me thus was the greatest period of Guns N' Roses. Axl had an amazing sound and look and overall attitude. His voice in 06/07 was much more mature and stable than it has ever been. And Robin was still around so that just makes me love this time even more.

You are a man, and Axl does not please you physically on stage. That is not for me to judge.

Proper bands, for me, are about the music, and the delivery of that music. And right now Guns do that; according to people here that have been to the recent concerts.

Part of Axl's legacy as a frontman is his stage presence. What are you going to be saying in 10 years when his knees go and he can barely move onstage?

"Just like the old days!"

Like Grace Slick said before she retired at age 50 from Jefferson Airplane - "all rockers over the age of 50 look stupid and should retire".

It's only downhill from here. Axl set the bar high for himself and he'll never live up to our memories of him from 20 years ago.

Axl could have performed at the Hall of Fame ceremony, gave it his all for 3 songs, and ended his career on a high note. Instead we get Year 13 of the Chinese Democracy World Tour.

Sad times.

Saw Axl with 3 people who are casual GnR fans, know little of the new band, and so forth. All 3 raved about how good the show was and stated it was one of the best they've ever been to. Needless to say, some of us are grateful that he is still out there on tour giving it his all, putting on 3 hour concerts. He still has stage presence and attitude llive like no other frontman currently doing it.

People can say what they want about the setlist. Roger Waters has toured "The Wall," a 32 year old album, for years now. It still kicks ass. Nobody complains about the setlist at that. Just like I've never heard anyone who actually attended a GnR show complain about the setlist.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt
I just find it daft that even now, people cannot move on and let nature take it's course

axl-rose-fat.jpg

:lol: !!!

I start laughing every time I see that picture.

i love sailing i think he sang it brilliant i actually liked the way he dressd and looked bk then, when i seen him in 06 he sounded great vocals, im hoping when i c him on friday he will sound great and not weak.