There Was A Time - Let's make it a permanent setlist staple!

Screamin' Demon

Obviously we all love this song and it makes hell of a difference in a setlist. If you support this song being a permanent staple, add a post saying so. I'd ask for this topic to be pinned by the mods as I believe it should be, but that's up to them. Anyways, post away people and let's support this amazing song we all know we want to hear when we see Gn'R live! rock3

Edited by Screamin Demon

Guest gunns5

Disagree ucb, that performance the other night was the best one he did out of the three he's done so far, so he keeps getting better.

Edited by gunns5

Disagree ucb, that performance the other night was the best one he did out of the three he's done so far, so he keeps getting better.

He's done 4 if I recall. NYC 2006, Madrid 2006, Tokyo 2010 and Dublin 2012. And I agree that it was the best one but it still sounded pretty weak imho. He should've done it in 2002.

Absolutely not. Staples are for must-haves and songs that are good for keeping the rock show rockin'. TWAT is a difficult song that's questionable Axl can pull off often, it's not necessarily a fan favorite, it's a long song which there are already plenty of. Rotate TWAT with IRS, Pros, CITR in the encore, or something like that so that it gets special attention and stays fresh. It's a great song and you dont want it to become a drain.

I'm glad they took Civil War from the permanent setlist for this reason. Now if only they'd do that to SOD and Better and rotated them with OMG or some other rockers, maybe a UYI. This is a way to keep the setlist fresh and exciting. Many claim because I'm a die-hard that this doesnt really matter to anybody but me, but then why are DJ, Ron, and promoters always alluding to 'something new', 'something historic' happening? I think they need to employ rotating parts of the set like I said above, and/or bring new songs.

gunns- Yes this is the best TWAT we've heard so far but also it was the first time he's done it in a couple years so he's really focused, and they did it in the encore after he'd had a break. I'm afraid TWAT loses its luster if they play it every night, and it wont be long before he's Mickey Mousing and the song sounds like shit. Chi Dem songs should be done appropriately and get attn they deserve, therefore I say rotate em and keep em new and fresh.

Edited by Eu4ic

He's done 4 if I recall. NYC 2006, Madrid 2006, Tokyo 2010 and Dublin 2012. And I agree that it was the best one but it still sounded pretty weak imho. He should've done it in 2002.

You forgot Taiwan & Seoul in 2009.

Tokyo was in 2009, not 2010.

And of course the most recent time, Hamilton in 2010.

Personally I'd rather hear IRS <_<

You forgot Taiwan & Seoul in 2009.

Tokyo was in 2009, not 2010.

And of course the most recent time, Hamilton in 2010.

Personally I'd rather hear IRS <_<

My mistake, that Tokyo 2009 bootleg was awesome. The beginning of Nightrain was unreal.

But you're right about Seoul, Taiwan and Hamilton. I was only sure about the 4 I mentioned.

And yes, I'd rather see IRS as well.

Shit no. Axl sounded shit except for the 10 seconds of rasp during the whole song.

He never did that song well live and he never will.

It was pretty good in Hamilton (I wouldn't go so far as saying great), but otherwise I agree it's usually a rough live one. And rightly so...its an absolute bitch for Axl to sing!

Never gonna become a staple, and rightly so IMO. I'm glad I've seen it live, but it shouldn't become a regular.

Signed. Even a rotation of TWAT, Catcher, Prostitute, ITWm Scraped and Riad would be awesome!

This. But I dont know if they will ever play Riad again..

I hope not. That's the worst song on CD. In 2009 they played almost all the CD tracks except Rhiad. That means Axl never want to play that song again. (yeah, i know the band rehearsed, but not played)

Edited by Motivation

Signed. Even a rotation of TWAT, Catcher, Prostitute, ITWm Scraped and Riad would be awesome!

I hope not. That's the worst song on CD. In 2009 they played almost all the CD tracks except Rhiad. That means Axl never want to play that song again. (yeah, i know the band rehearsed, but not played)

Well, thats your opinion. Its my favorite song and Im sure the band wouldnt even reharse it if Axl really didnt want it to play. Hell, the song was on the setlist even back in 2006/07. He wouldnt even released it if it was that bad to him. I just think he cant handle it properly just like he he couldnt with Prostitute back in 2009.

I just cant understand why people hope for a song to not be played. Well, I rather have an obscure song played again even if it was something I dislike, like Bad Apples. :shrugs:

I'd love to hear songs like OMG or Riad again live, I got to see Riad live in 2002. Someone released a video of that song recently:

Awe-some!

I think he'd sound even better on it nowadays.

But that song is almost impossible to sing.

I dont think he could reach those notes nowadays. IMO, his best performance was in Vegas 2001.

they should replace many of the CD songs they do now(CD,sorry etc)with the other ones.

we need twat,catcher,scraped and prostitute every night.everyone has heard sorry and SOD live by now.

so yes,TWAT is Axls best moment post Guns and it should be played every night.

they should replace many of the CD songs they do now(CD,sorry etc)with the other ones.

we need twat,catcher,scraped and prostitute every night.everyone has heard sorry and SOD live by now.

so yes,TWAT is Axls best moment post Guns and it should be played every night.

I agree they should rotate the CD songs. None of them were hits or made any sort of impact for the band. As for playing TWAT, it really only excited the fans who post on forums. Switching it up would make it more interesting for the diehards at least. The only "staples" are songs like WTTJ, SCOM, NR, PC, LALD, KOHD, YCBM. Those are the tunes that even casual fans who don't bother to follow GNR still hear on the radio and would recognize and enjoy. The rest is filler.

Well, thats your opinion. Its my favorite song and Im sure the band wouldnt even reharse it if Axl really didnt want it to play. Hell, the song was on the setlist even back in 2006/07. He wouldnt even released it if it was that bad to him. I just think he cant handle it properly just like he he couldnt with Prostitute back in 2009.

I just cant understand why people hope for a song to not be played. Well, I rather have an obscure song played again even if it was something I dislike, like Bad Apples. :shrugs:

I'd love to hear songs like OMG or Riad again live, I got to see Riad live in 2002. Someone released a video of that song recently:

Awe-some!

I think he'd sound even better on it nowadays.

But that song is almost impossible to sing.

I dont think he could reach those notes nowadays. IMO, his best performance was in Vegas 2001.

I know. But I thought the same about TWAT.

And back in 2002 those notes on Riad sounded clean, now they'd sound mean and raspy, like the high notes on TWAT. I love that