Is BBF too "nice"/Generic for New GN'R?

Vincent Vega

As a human being I like BBF. I have nothing against him. He seems like a genuinely alright person. But does he fit in Guns at all--Even New GN'R? Let's take Old GN'R out of the equation for a minute and focus solely on New GN'R--Bumblefoot filled Buckethead's shoes. Bucket, albeit an odd guy, is probably one of the most versatile guitarists on the planet. I love most of Bucket's solo stuff, the man is a true virtuoso.

I just feel BBF is very generic, that if he wasn't in GN'R, he'd be some guy in a guitar store being one of those faceless guitar geek types--you guys probably know what I mean. Like he'd be teaching guitar classes in some guitar shop if he wasn't in GN'R. He just has this very GENERIC quality about him and his music. Like he's just a regular dime store shredder, a cheaper and poorer imitation of Bucket.

I've listened to his stuff and I just feel like it's generic modern rock stuff that I could hear from any other modern rock artist. And his whole "Bumblefoot" persona--the "cheese guitar", the Bumblepoc stuff, the "Just Another Day at the Office", it's all CRINGEWORTHY. I mean Bucket was odd but he was avant garde...Bucket tries too hard to be that. It's hard to explain but I do hope some get what I mean. I just feel this current band is just sort of like backup musicians, like when Mick Jagger had his solo tour with a bunch of faceless generic axemen who were "cutting edge", whereas I felt with the 02 lineup it actually was a bunch of awesomely talented guys all together building something great, even if it wasn't a band in the traditional sense. Like, the 02 band were an amazingly talented circus (and I don't mean circus to insult them, I mean it in this case as a compliment), whereas this band seems to be a compromise, a back up band.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That might make a slight bit of sense if he was teaching guitar in a guitar shop before he joined GN'R, but since he wasn't...

I'm not saying it literally but I think my point was implicit, like, he's the kind of guy who just seems to be a generic guitar geek. His personality just screams generic at me. I mean everyone in the '02 band had something:

Axl - Crazy bastard who we all love

Bucket- Wild, odd, eccentric, but utterly amazing and talented guitarist, a guy you stared at in both fright and amazement. He caught your eye, and was just as interesting as Axl.

Robin - A wild guy with weird hair who you either loved or hated

Paul - the guy who supposedly broke up the old band, controversial, yet low key live

Tommy- a drunk punk rocker with attitude

Brain - An awesome drummer who has the resume to prove it

Dizzy - An all around fun, goofy guy, the last link to the UYI era GN'R

Chris - The Brian Jones of New GN'R

All of them had SOMETHING. Something that made you curious about them. Like, who exactly are these guys? Bumble doesn't have that "It" factor, the charisma, or magnetic sort of larger than life persona required to be a lead guitarist of a band.

Edited by Clark Gable

That might make a slight bit of sense if he was teaching guitar in a guitar shop before he joined GN'R, but since he wasn't...

I'm not saying it literally but I think my point was implicit, like, he's the kind of guy who just seems to be a generic guitar geek. His personality just screams generic at me. I mean everyone in the '02 band had something:

Bucket- Wild, odd, eccentric, but utterly amazing and talented guitarist, a guy you stared at in both fright and amazement. He caught your eye, and was just as interesting as Axl.

Paul - the guy who supposedly broke up the old band, controversial, yet low key live

All of them had SOMETHING. Something that made you curious about them. Like, who exactly are these guys? Bumble doesn't have that "It" factor, the charisma, or magnetic sort of larger than life persona required to be a lead guitarist of a band.

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. I personally think that he is the best guitarist that this band has ever had.

Yes, he's too nice. He needs to be more mean. :rolleyes:

I don't mean he has to be a jerk but you know...Keith Richards isn't exactly a "nice" guy. Chuck Berry isn't exactly a "nice" guy. Bucket was a fucking weirdo in the most awesome sense of the word. You dig what I mean? Bumblefoot could be on the Disney Channel...It just doesn't sit right for me. He's just too...normal for GN'R.

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. I personally think that he is the best guitarist that this band has ever had.

I'm with you Smooth. Although It's close for me between Ron and Buckethead.

Would you rather him pretend to be somebody he's not? Ron is an awesome guy and an incredible guitarist. The awesome thing about Guns is that each member can be their true self. They don't have to act "rock n' roll." GN'R is about expressing who you are and not caring what anybody else thinks of you. And I think every member of this band fits that description. They're doing what they love while staying true to themselves.

Yes, he's too nice. He needs to be more mean. :rolleyes:

I don't mean he has to be a jerk but you know...Keith Richards isn't exactly a "nice" guy. Chuck Berry isn't exactly a "nice" guy. Bucket was a fucking weirdo in the most awesome sense of the word. You dig what I mean? Bumblefoot could be on the Disney Channel...It just doesn't sit right for me. He's just too...normal for GN'R.

Speaking of Disney channel and a GNR guitarist.....

iiii]; )

Edited by packersnroses

Sometimes I think the guy's guitar tone is too pretty, but other than that, he's a cool motherfucker and has some serious chops. While you might not dig his solo stuff, surely you can appreciate how his talent is an asset to the band.

Sometimes I think the guy's guitar tone is too pretty, but other than that, he's a cool motherfucker and has some serious chops. While you might not dig his solo stuff, surely you can appreciate how his talent is an asset to the band.

How? He ruined the Catcher solo, and added in some unneeded rhythm parts to CD...What has he done in Guns outside of that? Played other guys' songs well?

Am I the only person on here who likes Bumlefoot's tone?

The rythmn parts were needed, adding more sleaze is what makes it more GN'R sounding. GN'R was known for its heavy multi tracked guitar sound. Slash and Izzy would often thrown in some riffs and sleaze and make it sound cool. Ron made the sounds sound less mechanical and shit.

Edited by BirdCatcher

Am I the only person on here who likes Bumlefoot's tone?

The rythmn parts were needed, adding more sleaze is what makes it more GN'R sounding. GN'R was known for its heavy multi tracked guitar sound. Slash and Izzy would often thrown in some riffs and sleaze and make it sound cool. Ron made the sounds sound less mechanical and shit.

No you're not. He sounds better on Estranged than anyone ever has. He destroys TWAT. The guy is superb.

Bumblefoot is the best thing that happened for Gn'R in a long time and one of the main reasons I keep folowing this band.

I agree, If he ever leaves I will probably stop caring.

I enjoy his solos on Chinese Democracy. I thought it was interesting that he admitted that they were comped. At least some of them.

He recommended some good guitar solos he did like Breaking, Vomit, There's a Kind of Hush, Guitars Still Suck and Turn Around. Those are 100% genuine Bumblefoot solos.

No he is my favorite guitarist of this line up. This guy composes crazy songs, has an amazing talent and he has a dark side that i like (he starts to exploited). Axl is very lucky. Guitarist like him, it's very rare ! Problem is that Buckethead was the ultimate shred guitarist and was irreplaceable. But Ron is the KING of the fretless guitar, it's just insane.

I hope he will compose dark GNR songs !

look at this, isn't it awesome ? (jam on his song : Some Other Guy)

and it's me, or sometimes I feel that Axl cant stand him ? :shrugs: .

Edited by tranconneuse

I kinda agree. Only thing I ever really liked about Bumblefoot is what he did with the Catcher in the Rye solo, I think he helped bring that song to a new level, which most people seem to hate for some reason. Then those same people will praise the Shacklers Revenge solo which to me sounds like mindless bullshit that doesn't go anywhere, I get that he's got quick fingers but I never understood the love affair with Bumblefoot. To each their own, I guess with a band that's as productive as this one its easy to get excited about the fact one of the members responds to emails

The only guitar player in the band right now that comes close to being a convincing Guns N' Roses guitarist is Richard Fortus. He actually kind of sounds like an evolved version of Slash, and as long as Guns N' Roses is going to exist as this facade without the old members I think that's perfect for this band.