Is BBF too "nice"/Generic for New GN'R?

Vincent Vega

With the precedent this band has set for itself, no, he's not too nice or generic for it. New GNR and Old GNR are very different in terms of attitude and whatnot. In fact, he's one of the few people in the band I consider to have any sort of admirable traits. He genuinely cares what the fans think and by all accounts is a really nice guy to meet in person. He's also helped people get backstage even if they don't buy the (out-fucking-rageously priced) VIP passes, so he's not just like that for the money.

That being said, I don't think he musically fits the direction I want the band to go in, but I don't see this band ever going anywhere anyway, so wfse. Ron's cool, if he gets canned we're probably gonna get Nick Sterling or something horrible like that, so I say keep him around.

Edited by bacardimayne

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's too nice for rock and roll. Axl should trade him to Thin Lizzy for a case of Heineken and Penny Lane.

This! BBF is too nice.... he needs to kill someone, or have and overdose of heroin and run naked in the stage, break instruments and that awesome stuff!!! THIS IS ROCK N ROLL MOTHERFUCKERS!!!! ....

seriously... whats the problem with being nice???

Edited by SeBaZ

Sometimes I think the guy's guitar tone is too pretty, but other than that, he's a cool motherfucker and has some serious chops. While you might not dig his solo stuff, surely you can appreciate how his talent is an asset to the band.

How? He ruined the Catcher solo, and added in some unneeded rhythm parts to CD...What has he done in Guns outside of that? Played other guys' songs well?

How do you know he wasn't instructed to play the catcher solo like that? He could've easily copied the demo's version. Someone told him to mix it up. He didn't just go in the studio and say "i'm overdubbing the catcher solo today just for shits n giggles." But i acknowledge that often the first version of a song you hear is the one that sticks. I remember that MTV played the hell out of KOHD from the Ritz (it was an official video for those that don't know). But when UYI was released, I thought its version of KOHD sounded anemic in comparison.

As non-flippantly as I can say this, I don't care what he has or hasn't done outside of Guns. The context is Guns. I believe him to be a versatile guitarist. While you may perceive him as a dime-a-dozen shredder, in my view he's got way more nuance and subtlety than you're giving him credit for. And you know what? He's paying his dues by playing all the old GnR stuff. And I think I just caught you saying he played those songs well, although it could just be a semantic thing. After being fed a steady diet of GnR (old and new) for years, I think it's going to be interesting to see his contributions to any new GnR stuff.

BBF is nice. Ron plays Estranged pretty good live. But on the Chinese Democracy record Buckethead breaks ground on If The World, There Was A Time, and Prostitute. BBF's yet to prove himself on a Guns N' Roses record of new material like Bucket has before him. If the next Chinese record is Bucket/Robin 2....we'll have to wait longer on what BBF has up his sleeve for studio recordings with Guns

Didn't Axl text Baz that Ron almost killed him and half the band?

yes but what does it mean ? ( oh my god, hahahah wooooooooooooooow a fuckin double rainbow all the way across the sky, i cant believe it's so bright ooooooooooh)

What did Ron do take over the tour bus and go on a rampage?

yes but what does it mean ? ( oh my god, hahahah wooooooooooooooow a fuckin double rainbow all the way across the sky, i cant believe it's so bright ooooooooooh)

If he really wanted to be daring he'd wake up Axl from a nap.

no because i feel that axl can't stand Ron.

What gives you that impression? He could fire him if he didn't feel him.

maybe axl has got no choice, guitarist like him it's rare. on several videos, axl has weird reactions with Bumble.

But it might be my paranoiac side.

maybe axl has got no choice, guitarist like him it's rare. on several videos, axl has weird reactions with Bumble.

Could you post one of these videos that you're talking about please? I'm really interested in seeing what you're talking about.

Could you post one of these videos that you're talking about please? I'm really interested in seeing what you're talking about.

of course. stay tuned

Edited by tranconneuse

Would you rather him pretend to be somebody he's not? Ron is an awesome guy and an incredible guitarist. The awesome thing about Guns is that each member can be their true self. They don't have to act "rock n' roll." GN'R is about expressing who you are and not caring what anybody else thinks of you. And I think every member of this band fits that description. They're doing what they love while staying true to themselves.

Amen. Best post here IMHO. Since Day 1 GN'R has been "authentic" and true to themselves- both collectively- and individually IMHO. Whether it was Slash & Co. mouthing off at award shows in the late 80's, Axl wearing kilts, catcher equipment and just being Axl in the 90's or Bucket playing Star Wars solos, break-dancing and flinging nunchuks in 01-02. Bumble is just as authentic IMHO.

Yeah- Bumble's a bit of a humble guitar geek who loves his Kiss albums and sincerely cares about the fans and just people generally. However, unlike almost all other people fitting that profile, he also happens to be routinely ranked among the best guitar players (and ahead of both Bucket and Slash on at least one occasion I recall) in the world by various publications and is a lead guitarist in a major rock act traveling the world. To me- that's a pretty unique set of characteristics there. It may not be as "cool" or "dangerous" as some people may prefer-but it's original to him in my view (i.e. BBF = "the friendly, humble virtuoso"). Finally, the beauty of GN'R IMHO hs always been that given the wide cast of interesting and unique members- you can almost always find someone to focus on with the personality traits you're looking for (e.g. Axl, Dj, Dizzy, Tommy, etc.)...

If he really wanted to be daring he'd wake up Axl from a nap.

Funny that you said that, cause I had a dream the other night where I was hanging out in the backstage of a Gn'R show. Axl was sleeping in this bunk and Duff comes to wake him up. Axl gets mad and they start this awesome kickboxing fight. That was a pretty cool dream :D....

but yeah, on topic, I don't think Ron is too nice or generic. All those guys have different personalities and being nice is part of who he is. And to be totally honest, Guns need that, someone who is nice. Some other members could be a little more like Ron ;)...

Edited by jekylhyde

I think he's being wasted in GnR. He is way too good and creative to be playing mostly other people's music.

That much is true.

However, he's nowhere near generic.

Maybe he looks "generic", as in "normal", but his playing is extremely far from generic and I'm sorry for those who can't hear it because it's really obvious...

Truth be told, out of all GnR guitarists, he's the one whose playing relies the less on patterns, the only one who ventures into microtonality, and the only one who has invented techniques of his own with Buckethead so I hardly see how his playing is generic... :violin: