Is BBF too "nice"/Generic for New GN'R?

Vincent Vega

When I say he's too "nice", I don't mean "nice" as in he's too nice a person. I'm not saying he should be a douchebag. I'm saying he's too "family friendly" to be the LEAD GUITARIST of Guns N' Roses. He doesn't have any swagger. He's not even enigmatic or mysterious--At least with Bucket, there was that "who the hell is this guy?" factor. It drew you in, made you interested. He just seems too normal to be the lead guitarist of Guns N' Roses. And his persona/personality isn't charismatic enough to be in his position.

A lead guitarist in a rock band such as Guns is usually the principal driving force in a band alongside the singer, or at the very least, is one of two 'faces' in the band. Axl and Slash were the faces of Old Guns. I would argue that if Bucket had stayed longer, he would've been just as iconic as Axl in New Guns. Mick and Keith. Steven Tyler and Joe Perry. Page & Plant. Etc. Even if the lead guitarist isn't a central driver of the band, for whatever reason, he's usually the face of the band. He tends to have either a larger than life personality (see Keith Richards, Slash), or is mysterious and cool (Jimmy Page, Buckethead). They have these magnetic sort of personalities and personas that draw you in, make you drawn to them as people; They have a gimmick which makes you think, "This guy is cool!" or "This guy is fucking odd, but awesome!", they have an iconic sort of image (think Jimmy Page, Slash, Joe Perry, Chuck Berry, etc).

In rock bands like GN'R, the lead guitarist should have some level of swagger, even if it's more of an image than realty. He should be a guy you want to be, a guy who you know is getting ass every night backstage, an awesome guy with an awesome image. A guy you can love and relate to in some ways, but who's just beyond your reach of truly getting them.

Bumblefoot is just too normal, too much like any of us. Too much like an average, normal person--So he's not mysterious and he's not interesting. His gimmick is neither cool nor creepy; It's just sort of half baked. I mean Buckethead WAS Buckethead, 24/7. Had a whole backstory and whole identity going with that gimmick which made him awesome in the way horror movies are awesome. Slash is Slash--He still dresses exactly the same now as he did in 1987. Keith Richards is Keith Richards. These guys become sort of cartoon characters after a while, but in a cool way. Bumblefoot...What's the whole idea behind the persona? It's not even well conceived. It's a guy with a guitar that looks like Swiss Cheese. Ok? Don't get it. And if you're a lead guitarist, don't change your image. Slash never changed; Keith has barely changed, Buckethead will never be Brian Carroll, same with Jimmy. It's how they build the "character", the larger than life awesome guys that they become. Bumble has no iconic image. He looks like a homeless guy currently, but that wasn't always his thing. And he wears Storm Trooper helmets once in a while.

He's just, as I said, too family friendly. Too wholesome. Too much like a normal human being to be in a larger than life role. Again, the fact that he's a nice guy personally is fine, I'm not saying I wish he was mean or an asshole or a douche or a jerkass. But Nice Boys Don't Play Rock N' Roll. He has no pathos, nothing that separates him from you or I in terms of image and persona. He's TOO accessible, TOO down to Earth, TOO mild mannered and family friendly.

And I saw some people mention Gilby, using him as an example of a "normal guy" in Guns. Gilby was and is a cool guy, a down to Earth guy, a nice guy, yes, but he was also from the LA Sleaze Scene, a kindred spirit of Izzy both in aesthetics, style, and musical background. He was not a poseur. He fit the mold. Also, and most importantly, he was the RHYTHM GUITARIST. Rhythm Guitarists do tend to be behind the scenes, low key kind of guys, who are largely ignored by the press, who only want the lead singer and lead guitarist as the icons. There's a different set of rules for rhythm guitarists, publicly speaking, in terms of image. They don't have to stand out.

But lead guitarists do have to stand out. Bumblefoot doesn't even, just in terms of his image alone. He is generic.

And a last note on the Gilby/BBF comparison:

cjbc1ixmb2heh2x.jpg

bumblefoot.jpg

Which guy looks more like a guitarist in a badass rock band, and which one looks more like a guitar store geek?

Edited by Clark Gable

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listen to their playing - this is what music should be about. And he doesnt fake personality like a lot of people do, he doesnt lie to look cool, etc. He is a great and intelligent guy, gives people a lot of very cool advices, help people that need help, donate to charities and all of that. He is what people should be looking at - a fkn great guy that acts like how all human beings should be acting. If you instead want to look at a guy's persona or wants him to look cool, Im sorry, but this is so boring and generic. Rock isnt about being badass or acting cool - this is generic and boring. Rock is about expressing yourself the way you want and not giving a fuck about people saying that someone is too nice or generic. Better yet - life is about this. Be true to yourself, be nice and nice things are awaiting for you. He is not 'Bumblefoot', he is Ron Thal whether he is on stage or with his family. He plays the same way when playing live in front of 100.000 people and when playing in his own studio. This is how he is, this is how we should all be. Forget this badass looking image, rock was never image driven (apart from hair metal or glam rock bands). Rock is about playing, performing, entertaining the crowd. Personas are optional - integrity, being true to himself isnt - or shouldnt at least.

I don't understand why you care how he looks, he plays like a god and he is one of the most original guitarists out there. He doesn't need to wear swag to show us who he is, he does that through his guitar playing.

And yes he may he a guitar geek, most great guitarists are, even Slash. Except Slash has that fake cool crap going on.

Does that look like Disney Channel material ?

large.n7091sn5hpb7.jpg

Really ?

Yes

Bumblefoot.png

What?

Izzy_Stradlin.jpg

Izzy_Then.jpg

There you go. You can't get a picture of BBF on a twitter pic and compare it to a concert pic of Izzy. When you get Ron's concert pic and compare it to Izzy's concert pic, you see both look awesome.

large.n7091sn5hpb7.jpg

Really ?

Yes

Bumblefoot.png

What?

Izzy_Stradlin.jpg

Izzy_Then.jpg

There you go. You can't get a picture of BBF on a twitter pic and compare it to a concert pic of Izzy. When you get Ron's concert pic and compare it to Izzy's concert pic, you see both look awesome.

150px-Bumblefoot.jpg

tumblr_la7ogpawqp1qc8orp.jpg

Izzy GN'R resume: songwriting, rhythm and lead parts on AFD, Lies, UYI 1, UYI 2

BBF GN'R resume: some rhythm parts and solos on CD, no writing credits

large.n7091sn5hpb7.jpg

Really ?

Yes

Bumblefoot.png

What?

Izzy_Stradlin.jpg

Izzy_Then.jpg

150px-Bumblefoot.jpg

Songwriting is not the subject of this thread.

large.n7091sn5hpb7.jpg

Really ?

Yes

Bumblefoot.png

What?

Izzy_Stradlin.jpg

Izzy_Then.jpg

150px-Bumblefoot.jpg

Songwriting is not the subject of this thread.

Nor is comparing the LEAD guitarist to the RHYTHM. Compare BBF to Bucket or Slash.

Let's stop quoting these pics, it's getting too big :tongue2:

IMO, BBF looks so much cooler as a GnR guitarist than Buckethead. Not talking about playing skills but Ron looks cool.

Ron-Bumblefoot.jpg

Bumblefoot22.jpg

bumblefoot+thal.jpg

Ron looks cool. The Gibson was awesome in 2006 and I love that Vigier double neck.

Listen to their playing - this is what music should be about. And he doesnt fake personality like a lot of people do, he doesnt lie to look cool, etc. He is a great and intelligent guy, gives people a lot of very cool advices, help people that need help, donate to charities and all of that. He is what people should be looking at - a fkn great guy that acts like how all human beings should be acting. If you instead want to look at a guy's persona or wants him to look cool, Im sorry, but this is so boring and generic. Rock isnt about being badass or acting cool - this is generic and boring. Rock is about expressing yourself the way you want and not giving a fuck about people saying that someone is too nice or generic. Better yet - life is about this. Be true to yourself, be nice and nice things are awaiting for you. He is not 'Bumblefoot', he is Ron Thal whether he is on stage or with his family. He plays the same way when playing live in front of 100.000 people and when playing in his own studio. This is how he is, this is how we should all be. Forget this badass looking image, rock was never image driven (apart from hair metal or glam rock bands). Rock is about playing, performing, entertaining the crowd. Personas are optional - integrity, being true to himself isnt - or shouldnt at least.

This.

"IMO, BBF looks so much cooler as a GnR guitarist than Buckethead. Not talking about playing skills but Ron looks cool."

I disagree, the further away from the Buckethead era we travel the more I wish he was in the band. He was much "cooler" than Ron or DJ that's for sure. GNR still felt mythical with Buckethead. It feels anything but that now.

Edited by smokingarthur

I disagree, the further away from the Buckethead era we travel the more I wish he was in the band. He was much "cooler" than Ron or DJ that's for sure. GNR still felt mythical with Buckethead. It feels anything but that now.

+1

+1

Although Bucket seemed strange, BBF just comes off as an outright dork with no personality.

Bumblefoot is a great guy, plays the hell out of the old songs, nails the new, and is engaging with fans. From what I can tell the only reason people dislike him is that they don't think like him as much as they like Buckethead, or that he makes Slash look like an amateur on Estranged