How does Glad to be Here sound?

Jakey Styley

I haven't found any live videos of it. To those who have attended the shows, how does it sound live? Does Ron sound all raspy and insane like in the studio version?

And while we're on the subject, what does everyone think of the song?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awful! I've really tried to get into his solo material but I just can't! If just has such a generic uninspired sound to my ears. :shrugs:

Edited by Dazey

Lol, Ron just LOVES being in Guns N' Roses. :rolleyes:

I thought it was about his time in GNR too ("when the whole world looks at me they see some other guy"). I emailed him about it a couple years ago and he said it wasn't, but told me that Real and The Color of Justice were about dealings with GNR management.

I fuckin' love Ron and I rather have this than Pink Panther again but he's got so many better songs than this! I just don't get it:

- Guitars SUCK

- Turn Around

- Awake

- Normal

- Rockstar for a Day

- There's A Kind of Hush Cover

- Invisible

- Father

- Last Time

- Bernadette

- Let Your Voice Be Heard

Any of those would be better. But still, Glad To Be Here is better than Pink Panther again.

I fuckin' love Ron and I rather have this than Pink Panther again but he's got so many better songs than this! I just don't get it:

- Guitars SUCK

- Turn Around

- Awake

- Normal

- Rockstar for a Day

- There's A Kind of Hush Cover

- Invisible

- Father

- Last Time

- Bernadette

- Let Your Voice Be Heard

Any of those would be better. But still, Glad To Be Here is better than Pink Panther again.

Some Other Guy, DASH, and can't play the blues. Fuck ! He has so many good songs !

I like the guitar work and lyrics, but the song as a whole is a bit gimmicky and dare i say cheeky.

I like the song but I agree that it's gimmicky and I think it's odd that he'd choose to do a song like this as his solo spot. It's like he wasn't really "serious" in making the song.

So much hate for Bumble's solo stuff. Normal is definitely pretty high up on my favorite albums list, he skips around genres so much on it and it has so many good tunes.

I don't hate it, it just does nothing for me so I don't listen to it. :shrugs:

Yea, no footage yet. Damn it. And you can say whatever you want about Ron or his solo career, but generic/not authentic would never be the word(s). Ever. Unless you dont know what the fuck you're talking about, if that's the case we're cool.

He does borrow a lot from Mr. Bungle. Especially the early solos he did. I asked him if he ever listened to Elliott Smith, he said no. Could see the similarities though.

I wouldn't call it generic, complex would be a better word.

I've not heard much of Bumble's solo stuff - but I thought it sounded great - just a funny song and I like hiis sense of humour!!

My friends and others in the crowd really liked it too!

I liked it that all the solos were different - except DJ's!

He does borrow a lot from Mr. Bungle. Especially the early solos he did. I asked him if he ever listened to Elliott Smith, he said no. Could see the similarities though.

I wouldn't call it generic, complex would be a better word.

It's not that it's complex, it's really original and inventive as well. Some people don't even know what original guitar playing/songwriting is, so they find an excuse to complain - they talk about him being generic, can't play with feeling, can't write good songs/solos, etc. They are factually wrong, that's not even a discussion. Some people can't get it when someone is truly original, so they come here asking if he's too generic to be in Guns. Here we have one of the best guitarists alive and praised by so many of the greats technique/songwriting/vocally/inventive(ness?) wise and all they do is complaing about his fkn' tone. I mean, really?

I'd read that other thread about him being too nice and generic for Guns, think that it's stupid, laugh at it and in the end ignore it. Seriously, they have no fkn' idea of where they are coming from. That's bullshit, not personal opinion and they want to think that way, so why should I bother proving them how they are wrong? Heck, they probably have never heard a solo with so many inovative techniques and playing like Shackler's but they have no idea. In their minds that's mindless shredding, but it's a brilliant solo, like it or not. People like Guthrie Govan (arguably the best guitarist in the world - and he even says that Ron's the best, the true genius - as far as I know) or Satriani (And tons of other amazing musicians) have their minds blown away by Ron in a constant basis, think that his work is brilliant and praise him like nobody else, but the average listener will call it "mindless shredding". Can I blame them? In a way not, because it is not what they use to listen. But claiming that his work is generic and that he ain't authentic in any way is plain bullshit, simply put.

I think you'll all missing the point of why he plays Glad To Be Here:

After getting off a tour, the transition back to civilian life ain't easy - life feels *wrong*, like it isn't yours and ya don't belong there. Within 12 hours, I'm going crazy, have even less tolerance for the little things that piss me off, need to drive faster than a shitty old Hyundai was meant to, and am at a loss on how to budget my time, re-learning what a day is and what it's suddenly supposed to consist of. "Glad To Be Here" came out of one of those moments where you're in the last place you'd want to be.

Like in the 80's at the DMV, when the lines went out the door, ya get to the window and the lady says there's another form to fill out, and you have to wait on line again for another 3 hours. Or traffic court, waitin' to see the judge. I think I've seen half the ones in NJ, one in Westchester, got out of having to sit in one in Virginia. But yeah, if you're ever in that spot, in that kinda traffic, in that kinda trouble, or with those kinds of people, think of the verses to this song, it'll say it all for ya.

I thought it was about his time in GNR too ("when the whole world looks at me they see some other guy"). I emailed him about it a couple years ago and he said it wasn't, but told me that Real and The Color of Justice were about dealings with GNR management.

Some Other Guy is about his time in GnR. Completely. It'd fit his solo spot too, ha!

How do I hate your face - well let me count the ways

Well there aint none at all - cause you aint nuthin to me

My brain don't work so good - remind me when did I care

I don't see how I would - there just aint nuthin' there

You're with some other guy

And man does he look funny

I try to say hello

But he always takes off runnin'

Well he don't bother me

We're done and it don't matter

So why's he so afraid

Every time he sees me comin'

It must be something ya said

To try and fuck with his head

You must have told him I'm still into you

Another reason why - ya got such an apetite

For all that bad attention - for that I got no patience

I think that you and I are two words that don't belong

Two lines that never cross - and that's alright because...

You're with some other guy

And man does he look funny

I try to say hello

But he always takes off runnin'

Well he don't bother me

We're done and it don't matter

So why's he so afraid

Every time he sees me comin'

It must be something ya said

To try and fuck with his head

You must have told him I'm still into you

It is so clear that this song is about GNR, it's not funny. As if Ron is going to come out and directly admit it. He would prob get kicked out of GNR on the spot and obviously wouldn't want to admit it becos of all his clingy fans.

At the end of the day, Ron drops enough hints that he is unhappy in GNR. If you are delusional, you wont see them. From the jabs he took at Axl about going on late, or the recent comments about tour mode, to his completely unhappy demeanor on stage, to what looks to be tears running down his face recently. Ron is not happy in GNR. He hasn't been for a long time. He is just doing whats best for him and his family, and I completely respect him for that.