How does Glad to be Here sound?

Jakey Styley

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a fun song. It's by no means on his worst list, but there are much better ones too. I like it though. Does he sing on it live and have the whole band playing?

Edited by Conor

He does borrow a lot from Mr. Bungle. Especially the early solos he did. I asked him if he ever listened to Elliott Smith, he said no. Could see the similarities though.

I wouldn't call it generic, complex would be a better word.

It's not that it's complex, it's really original and inventive as well. Some people don't even know what original guitar playing/songwriting is, so they find an excuse to complain - they talk about him being generic, can't play with feeling, can't write good songs/solos, etc. They are factually wrong, that's not even a discussion. Some people can't get it when someone is truly original, so they come here asking if he's too generic to be in Guns. Here we have one of the best guitarists alive and praised by so many of the greats technique/songwriting/vocally/inventive(ness?) wise and all they do is complaing about his fkn' tone. I mean, really?

I'd read that other thread about him being too nice and generic for Guns, think that it's stupid, laugh at it and in the end ignore it. Seriously, they have no fkn' idea of where they are coming from. That's bullshit, not personal opinion and they want to think that way, so why should I bother proving them how they are wrong? Heck, they probably have never heard a solo with so many inovative techniques and playing like Shackler's but they have no idea. In their minds that's mindless shredding, but it's a brilliant solo, like it or not. People like Guthrie Govan (arguably the best guitarist in the world - and he even says that Ron's the best, the true genius - as far as I know) or Satriani (And tons of other amazing musicians) have their minds blown away by Ron in a constant basis, think that his work is brilliant and praise him like nobody else, but the average listener will call it "mindless shredding". Can I blame them? In a way not, because it is not what they use to listen. But claiming that his work is generic and that he ain't authentic in any way is plain bullshit, simply put.

Have you seen videos of Ron and Guthrie together? Insane. GN'R fans are more use to blues stuff as oppose to something more original. A fretless guitar is very foreign, Buckethead's shredding is more familiar. I don't get why shredding equals no feeling to some people, can their minds not process the feeling in those notes?

There are inventive blues songs even nowadays. Bumblefoot's Raygun and I Cant Play The Blues fit that category perfectly. Fact is that most people got used to Clapton-like bluesy playing and are led to believe that playing slow and long bends is what feeling is about. Feeling is all about being honest, being himself and feeling exactly you are playing, be it a standart blues song or an aggressive death metal song. If it makes you angry, that is a feeling. I believe that playing the stuff that comes in your head while being true to yourself without pratically any limits is the pinnacle of soulful playing. After all this is what feeling is about and ignorant people tend to bash others for being souless - the lack of argument is apparent in those cases.

Edited by Bruno Poeys

There are inventive blues songs even nowadays. Bumblefoot's Raygun and I Cant Play The Blues fit that category perfectly. Fact is that most people got used to Clapton-like bluesy playing abd are led to believe that playing slow and long bends is what feeling is about. Feeling is all about being honest, being himself and feeling exactly you are playing, be it a standart blues song or an aggressive death metal song. I believe that playing the stuff that comes in your head while being true to yourself without pratically any limits is the pinnacle of soulful playing. After all this is what feeling is about and ignorant people tend to bash others for being souless - the lack of argument is apparent in those cases.

I am guessing that people are so use to fake emotions they automatically believe that long bends = emotion.

There's more emotion in Johnny Ramone's power chord than most of Slash's work today.

That song kicks major ass. Regarding the GNR thing, 2 points:

First of all, IF he wanted to sing about how unhappy he is, he would have every right to do so. Freedom of speech, honesty, artists singing from the heart, stuff like this is what we want for fucks sake.

Second of all, Ron is human being and our lives are complex. GNR is not his life, just a part of it - he got tons of stuff going on. To me it sounds like a song about his whole way as an artist - not about the GNR time. How is "I haven't had a good night sleep since 1995" about GNR?

I am guessing that people are so use to fake emotions they automatically believe that long bends = emotion.

I think it's less to do with not getting what he's trying to do and more to do with the fact that this particular song is just shite! :shrugs:

Love BBF's discography but not fond of this song either...

He should have gone with Guitars Still Suck IMHO but that would have made it the hardest song of the whole night for the band to play so maybe he didn't want the other guys ( especially Frank, insane drum parts on Guitars Still Suck ) to hate him haha

Edited by The Glow Inc.

Love BBF's discography but not fond of this song either...

He should have gone with Guitars Still Suck IMHO but that would have made it the hardest song of the whole night for the band to play so maybe he didn't want the other guys ( especially Frank, insane drum parts on Guitars Still Suck ) to hate him haha

Yeah, maybe he could have picked a better one - but if I'm honest, I'm just genuinely stoked he's playing at least one of his originals!

Imagine if he busted out something like Turn Around.... with that fucking SMOKING outro solo! It's gotta be one of my all time favourite solos to listen to, from any guitarist.

EDIT: For the lazy, it starts around 2:50.... but you should listen to the whole song anyway.

Yeah, maybe he could have picked a better one - but if I'm honest, I'm just genuinely stoked he's playing at least one of his originals!

Imagine if he busted out something like Turn Around.... with that fucking SMOKING outro solo! It's gotta be one of my all time favourite solos to listen to, from any guitarist.

EDIT: For the lazy, it starts around 2:50.... but you should listen to the whole song anyway.

Agreed. Normal is a really enjoyable record.

I don't think I saw Ashba playing with the band on Ron's solo. Wonder why..

Agreed. Normal is a really enjoyable record.

Indeed, Turn Around is amazing. So is the other suggestions here like Dash and Breaking.

Imagine that with Ron playing the accoustic and changing to the electric guitar like he did with If The World. :thumbsup:

Breaking, Turn Around and Dash would be great. The solo spots are to showcase the band members talent and Ron is not just a great guitarist, he is also a great singer and songwriter.

Glad to Be Here is perfect for the U.K.

Be nice if they hit Cardiff. Nobody pays attention to the Welsh.