Axl Rose requests square melon

Tabitha27

square melon on his rider.

The Guns N' Roses singer has an unusual backstage demand for the exotic fruit, but claims it is essential to his performance.

The rider document states it should include "wines, beers, vodka, red and white roses and a square melon."

The document adds the melon is an "exotic" item "that absolutely can't be missed."

Square melons were developed in Japan as a convenient way of storing and transporting the fruit, which is usually round. They cost more than double the price of a normal watermelon, but taste the same.

Among other items demanded by the Axl -currently touring the UK with his group, which also includes Tommy Stinson, Chris Pitman, Richard Fortus, Frank Ferrer, Ron 'Bumblefoot' Thal and DJ Ashba - is a custom made Italian leather sofa to relax on ahead of the show.

Axl has actually toned down his backstage demands since 2010, when he asked for a "dressing room to be all black and decorated with fresh roses, 18 of red and white each (sic)," and a bed, so he could sleep before stage time.

Other articles named on the 41 item rider included seven kinds of cheese, six lamps, a rug and "two bear-shaped tubes of honey."

Nah, square melons are for pussies... i love the old school vibe of the round ones.

Yeah but the square ones are better to eat out of. It's like a bowl and a melon in one! lulz

I wonder how they make 'em. I read the little blurb linked to earlier, but I mean can't they just grow them by planting them in a grid of cinder blocks or something?

Yup, old news. He asked the square melon when touring South America and the Peruvian representatives had to actually import the melon from Japan. -_-

Round melons are so outdated. They could never fit into Axl's genius vision for GnR's future. When Axl releases CDII, there won't even be round melons anymore. He knows that. He's just getting ready.

Yup, old news. He asked the square melon when touring South America and the Peruvian representatives had to actually import the melon from Japan. -_-

Round melons are so outdated. They could never fit into Axl's genius vision for GnR's future. When Axl releases CDII, there won't even be round melons anymore. He knows that. He's just getting ready.

Ha! He's just collecting them I guess. I believe someone took "Terminator" and the "Judgment Day" too seriously? :xmasssanta:

I'm sure you've all heard about the odd things bands and famous actors/actresses put in their contracts. Interestingly the item in question is often of no importance other than to see the venue or place that is hosting such persons has actually read through the requests in full. Thus if there is no square melon, brown m&ms etc. etc., then it's possible the other things to do with safety, like the pyro and rigging etc were also not done as requested. It's a quick and clever way to see what's going down.