Massively overrated films

GivenToFly

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoy Inception but it's overrated but it's like an existential blockbuster, but I just like the quality of the film, the special effects, the music. It's saying film is a dream, life is a dream. but is that really an insight, it is for the I max generation. maybe.

I'm reading some I can understand (Paranormal Activity, Avatar, etc.), but then I see movies like Jurassic Park, Star Wars, and Toy Story (WHAT THE FUCK?!), and I just don't get it.

Avatar looks beautiful, and is done amazingly, but when it comes down to the actual story telling and acting, it's pretty bad. Easily overrated.

But, when it comes to Jurassic Park, where everything is done greatly, especially with the technology at the times, and the acting is great, I don't see how someone can call it overrated. And Toy Story? WHAT? I don't see how anyone can not like those, to be honest. Easily some of the best movies ever, especially animated.

I think a number of people just started listing movies they didn't like, and not just ones they think are overrated. In cases like these, I need someone to tell me why they think a movie is overrated. Saying "Oh, my friends and everyone loved it, thought it was amazing. Then I saw it and it was OK." - That doesn't count as an excuse to call a movie overrated, in my opinion.

Also, Angelica - Braveheart, Shawshank, American Beauty, and Forrest Gump are not overrated. -_- I will give you The King's Speech, though. Performance wise, it's very good, but I found myself to be too annoyed by the stuttering to enjoy the film, honestly. I can't comment on The Artist, though, because I haven't seen it yet. You're lucky you didn't list Hugo though, or I would have had to e-smack you in the throat.

It's a bit of a mess because people are lumping commercially successful crap (who ever claimed Twilight was anything more than pop junk!?) in with films that are critically overrated and/or recieved too much loving from the Academy. Yes, all those films I listed are overrated. Beyond. They are not bad films, but they are not great films, or anywhere near. I thought Hugo was rather underrated, ultimately. :shrugs:

You're right about the first part, but I don't agree with those movies being overrated. I know we've disagreed about this stuff before, and I don't think we'll ever agree to disagree. :( Shawshank is probably the only one I might give you. It's really good, but maybe acclaimed higher than it should be. I can't agree with you on the rest though. American Beauty is the most recent of those I've seen, and I watched it a couple months ago for the first time, without hearing or reading much about it, and I loved it. I do actually believe it's a great film. But as far as Hugo goes, I can see where you're coming from, actually. It was acclaimed highly, but a lot of people didn't see to it because it didn't end up being what they thought it would be. The trailer made it seem like it was about some magical adventure, and it was, but not the kind people were hoping to see. It was about the magic of movies, and it was fantastic.

Guest Len B'stard
Dude, it's 2012, not 2002. He's made shitloads of horrendous films over the last decade. Sweeney Todd is the last remotely interesting film he did (and the last time he was remotely interesting on screen as an actor).

As i say, i've not really watched none of this stuff of the last decade, pretty much just Public Enemies and Rum Diary or Diaries and they were fairly good turns.

Citizen Kane is the most overrated film of all time and probably always will be. Yes, it's very good, arguably great, but at no point was it EVER anywhere near being the best film ever made.

Listen you fucking heathen :lol: How can you be such a fuckin film jockey and then slag off Citizen Kane? It like, changed fuckin cinema like very few other films have, there is pre-Kane and there is post-Kane and there is a fuckin palpable difference in the way films were directed after that shit. It appears your issue with it is the whole greatest film ever made hoopla but look, i think that shits meant to be taken with a pinch of salt, i mean what is the greatest film ever made, the greatest phone ever made, the greatest boxer, the greatest drinks cabinet ever made, these are just like, hype, it's not meant to be literal, y'know, it's like slagging off The Godfather cuz it's called the greatest gangster movie ever made and you like Little Ceaser a half a inch morer, it's just fuckin film nerd stuff, the film is fucking magnificent and i can guarantee you that there will never ever be a film that has as much of an effect on motion pictures and Citizen Kane did, simply because the medium is way beyond any kind of gestative stage, it's fully developed but if you have any regard for the medium you gotta give it up for Kane because it is arguably responsible for why so many aspects of the medium are the way they are, apart from just being fuckin amazing per se.

Plus, Orson Welles was a fuckin G :lol:

P.S. Sabbath, your taste is proper soft..

Edited by sugaraylen

As i say, i've not really watched none of this stuff of the last decade, pretty much just Public Enemies and Rum Diary or Diaries and they were fairly good turns.

They were rote at best. And if you haven't bothered with the vast majority of his work for the last decade, stop fronting like you're not aware that old grey mare just aint what she used to be! Why the fuck haven't you seen Sweeney though? Burton or not, it's the closest he's come to venturing out of his comfort zone in years.

Citizen Kane is the most overrated film of all time and probably always will be. Yes, it's very good, arguably great, but at no point was it EVER anywhere near being the best film ever made.

Listen you fucking heathen :lol: How can you be such a fuckin film jockey and then slag off Citizen Kane? It like, changed fuckin cinema like very few other films have, there is pre-Kane and there is post-Kane and there is a fuckin palpable difference in the way films were directed after that shit. It appears your issue with it is the whole greatest film ever made hoopla but look, i think that shits meant to be taken with a pinch of salt, i mean what is the greatest film ever made, the greatest phone ever made, the greatest boxer, the greatest drinks cabinet ever made, these are just like, hype, it's not meant to be literal, y'know, it's like slagging off The Godfather cuz it's called the greatest gangster movie ever made and you like Little Ceaser a half a inch morer, it's just fuckin film nerd stuff, the film is fucking magnificent and i can guarantee you that there will never ever be a film that has as much of an effect on motion pictures and Citizen Kane did, simply because the medium is way beyond any kind of gestative stage, it's fully developed but if you have any regard for the medium you gotta give it up for Kane because it is arguably responsible for why so many aspects of the medium are the way they are, apart from just being fuckin amazing per se.

Plus, Orson Welles was a fuckin G :lol:

I didn't slag it off, I just pointed out the part where it's not and never has been the Greatest Film Ever. Not now and not in 1941. Ambersons, Touch of Evil, The Trial and even godamn Lady from Shanghai are vastly superior films.

This is true. :rofl-lol: Bubba, I wuv you, but if you need to sit your ass in front of some genuine cinema sometime.

Guest Len B'stard
They were rote at best. And if you haven't bothered with the vast majority of his work for the last decade, stop fronting like you're not aware that old grey mare just aint what she used to be! Why the fuck haven't you seen Sweeney though? Burton or not, it's the closest he's come to venturing out of his comfort zone in years.

nah see i didn't watch em cuz i figured he was like, y'know, they ain't my kinda films so he ain't picking roles that are like, within the Len ouevre if you like but that don't mean to say they're a load of cack, i'm sure he did the roles in em well, just Alice in Wonderland ain't exactly my thing. Just cuz it ain't my thing don't mean it can't be a good film.

I didn't slag it off, I just pointed out the part where it's not and never has been the Greatest Film Ever. Not now and not in 1941. Ambersons, Touch of Evil, The Trial and even godamn Lady from Shanghai are vastly superior films.

Are you getting this strange feeling of deja vu? :lol:

This is true. Bubba, I wuv you, but if you need to sit your ass in front of some genuine cinema sometime.

The Empire Magazine brigade :lol: I must say Angie, although i'm loathe to compliment you so, y'know, note the date and time cuz the shit ain't gonna happen again, of all the people i've encountered in my life you do have some fuckin' bangin' taste in films, i'll argue specifics and details with you til the cows come home but 99% of the time you're bang on the money with it.

Dunno bout the whole ipad and coffee and the Pat Butcher earrings though :lol:

This is true. :rofl-lol: Bubba, I wuv you, but if you need to sit your ass in front of some genuine cinema sometime.

I enjoy plenty of genuine cinema. Just because I don't agree with your overrated list doesn't mean I don't like (more) good movies -_-

Adaptation, Black Swan, Big Lebowski, Alien, Fight Club, Zodiac, Memento, Being John Malkovich, Pulp Fiction, Se7en, Amadeus, etc.

Con Air is clearly the best movie of all time, though.

Terminator 2: Judgement Day

Wrong. Greatest action movie of all time. Get out.

Terminator 2: Judgement Day

Wrong. Greatest action movie of all time. Get out.

I just watched it the other day. It's really cringeworthy, especially compared to the original. I mean come on--"Bad to the Bone"? "Hasta la viesta, baby"? It's cheesy. The first movie is a classic, though.

Guest Sleeping Like An Angel

Avatar. Sure it was pretty and all, but the story and characters were just kind of...meh. shrugs.gif

Agree!!!! Awful film. 3D was the only interesting thing about it. I wanted to walk out of the cinema.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

The Batman films. Especially the last one with the Joker. It wouldn't have gotten half the praise if he didn't commit suicide.

The Batman films. Especially the last one with the Joker. It wouldn't have gotten half the praise if he didn't commit suicide.

No, I do not agree!. Well, maybe Batman and Robin. Sure the suicide made it have more attention, but it was a great fn film! The best comic book film of all time. Everyone has their opinions though. I think you just don't like batman.

Edited by batman007