Massively overrated films

GivenToFly

I can't believe this thread started with Back to the Future. That hurts. :(

I agree with those that said The Hangover. It was over-hyped by friends who had seen it and by the time I got around to it, I just didn't think it was funny. It was just okay.

I wouldn't necessarily say Tarantino's movies are overrated, just not my cup of tea.

As a huge James Bond fan, there are certain movies from the series that are greatly overrated. Goldfinger is one example. Aside from setting the "classic" Bond formula, it's not that great. Okay, it's pretty damn good, but not the best. It loses a lot of momentum in the second half when Bond is captured at Goldfinger's ranch. Perhaps I'm just tired of seeing this film top every "Best Bond" list that has ever been made, especially when it comes to film critics. From Russia With Love has a far more intriguing story. Robert Shaw was brilliant casting.

GoldenEye is also extremely overrated. The middle half of the film is poorly paced. The game is what introduced me to Bond and as a result this was the first Bond I saw so I'll always have a soft spot for it. Still, most Bond fans around my age consider it the holy grail of Bond. It's really not, and had it not been for the game (which is still one of my favorite games to play), I don't think the film would have quite the nostalgic appeal it does. Good, but not mind blowing. The World Is Not Enough is my favorite of the Brosnan films.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Dark Knight. Ledger's Joker is just a high budget version of a Brad Dourif character or another version of Hannibal Lector. He's not this original, deep villain like people like to think. And his performance basically rips off every Brad Dourif performance.

I'd say "overrated" would be just a movie that everyone tells you is the best movie ever, and then when you see it, you find it lackluster and don't understand why people like it. I mean, I like a lot of popular movies, but I still think some are overrated. My all-time favorite movie is Saving Private Ryan, which is a rather popular movie.

On the other hand, I really dislike Pearl Harbor. I can't stand it. It's not even just personal taste; I simply don't understand why it was as big as it was. I think it's overrated. I don't think it deserves its hype.

I also think there's a distinction between you finding a movie overrated and you simply not enjoying a movie. I didn't enjoy the movie Steel Magnolias the way everyone else does (in fact, I really, really dislike it), but I understand why it's as popular as it is and consider it just "rated." However, Pearl Harbor just has no business being popular. I don't understand why people like it. So I would call it overrated.

On the other hand, I really dislike Pearl Harbor. I can't stand it. It's not even just personal taste; I simply don't understand why it was as big as it was. I think it's overrated. I don't think it deserves its hype.

However, Pearl Harbor just has no business being popular. I don't understand why people like it. So I would call it overrated.

That film is generally considered as rubbish by anyone with an interest in film. Most people like it because most people are fucking idiots.

Guest Len B'stard

Judging by the answers, EVERY film that's ever been popular or praised is overrated.

Ha, exactly.

People love to bash anything that is popular. I guess it is not cool to enjoy anything that the "average" person enjoys.

There's probably a fair bit of that going on but also, when things are just pumped like that you just go into overkill with it and a lot of movies like that can't bear the scrutiny. Movies like The Godfather II or what have you were just as popular in their day and yet retain that sort of kudos because they had the substance to endure.

Also, for some people, mainstream type stuff is just not interesting y'know, simply because it's the standard. When you try and make movies with universal appeal it often ends up being a little too broad and as a consequence of that they end up being sorta wishy washy.

Personally, for me, if mainstream cinema was all that there was to cinema, i probably wouldn't be interested in it for too, long especially based on recent cinema history. I understand how to some people that might sound like me being a snotty cunt and perhaps there's a degree of truth in that but...i don't want the average, i want something special, i love the medium of cinema and i think it's a tremendous disservice to it and it's fantastic possibilities by accepting mediocrity.

Simply put, things that are mainstream, invariably as subject to like, y'know, focus groups and y'know, aiming for this or that demographic and a consequence of that is that the artistic purity and integrity of it is massively dilluted and...the intent is obvious, the aim is obvious and it just becomes patronising. I think it shows a distinct lack of respect for the audience.

Now, i understand somewhat how the film industry works and i know that it is required to work the way it does for it to be what it is but if it was up to me, to my mind, it is every filmmakers duty to expand and push and explore the boundaries of what is possible with this medium, the breadth of it's powers and so forth. I think every filmmaker, at the end of ones career should be able to look back and know that they have offered something to the evolution of the medium, to expand it as an art, to go nuts, to go avante garde, to get waaaaay out there and see whats possible with this thing.

This is mainly why i don't have much of an interest in cinema anymore, because this is not the case except with a select few, most of cinema is just by the numbers tripe that just doesn't interest me because it's the artistic aspect to me that is paramount and less so the whole aspect of commerce or celebrity which, to me, when stacked up against all that other stuff, seems sort of small and silly.

It's why i like extremes in cinema, like all that dogmae stuff or...y'know, totally mental non-linear stuff, Kenneth Anger movies and such, because they give you a small window into the possibilities of the genre. Y'know, stuff that manipulates sound and the visuals to evoke strong responses...movies that leave you dazed.

Now, i understand somewhat how the film industry works and i know that it is required to work the way it does for it to be what it is but if it was up to me, to my mind, it is every filmmakers duty to expand and push and explore the boundaries of what is possible with this medium, the breadth of it's powers and so forth. I think every filmmaker, at the end of ones career should be able to look back and know that they have offered something to the evolution of the medium, to expand it as an art, to go nuts, to go avante garde, to get waaaaay out there and see whats possible with this thing.

Maybe some (most?) filmmakers don't see themselves as artist, but rather as entertainers?

Judging by the answers, EVERY film that's ever been popular or praised is overrated.

Ha, exactly.

People love to bash anything that is popular. I guess it is not cool to enjoy anything that the "average" person enjoys.

That's essentially what the thread asks: "Name movies that most people like but you dislike."

But I guess people love to bash anything that's popular. I guess it is not cool to enjoy any thread that the "average" poster enjoys.

Guest Len B'stard
Maybe some (most?) filmmakers don't see themselves as artist, but rather as entertainers?

Which is kinda my point. Not that there's anything wrong with that, this all sounds very snotty but, y'know, thats just what i prefer and, in a Len World, thats the way things would be or at least there'd be a strong vibrant community of that kind of shit going on somewhere, it's cool as entertainment too i mean, i'd be full of shit if i tried to make out that i'm some fuckin art nomad living in a loft somewhere, i like movies as entertainment as much as (probably more than) the next man it's just i think that the other thing would be really really REALLY fuckin cool and i think it's sad and to the detriment of medium that it ain't that way. I'd be more into films than i am (and i'm HUGELY into em already by anyones standards) if there was more of that shit.

Edited by sugaraylen

This is mainly why i don't have much of an interest in cinema anymore, because this is not the case except with a select few, most of cinema is just by the numbers tripe that just doesn't interest me because it's the artistic aspect to me that is paramount and less so the whole aspect of commerce or celebrity which, to me, when stacked up against all that other stuff, seems sort of small and silly.

It's why i like extremes in cinema, like all that dogmae stuff or...y'know, totally mental non-linear stuff, Kenneth Anger movies and such, because they give you a small window into the possibilities of the genre. Y'know, stuff that manipulates sound and the visuals to evoke strong responses...movies that leave you dazed.

This is why I keep attempting to steer your dumb ass towards Bela Tarr! :rofl-lol::rolleyes:

Whoever thought Napoleon Dynamite was.funny should be shot to pieces, the pissed on, pressed back into a cake, loaded into a cannon then fired into a wall half a metre away.

I think even that's being a little too nice.

i remember people telling me how funny this movie was and one day near the end of my junior year of high school someone brought it in to watch and i thought it was the dumbest movie i ever seen there was nothing remotely funny about the whole movie.

Whoever thought Napoleon Dynamite was.funny should be shot to pieces, the pissed on, pressed back into a cake, loaded into a cannon then fired into a wall half a metre away.

I think even that's being a little too nice.

i remember people telling me how funny this movie was and one day near the end of my junior year of high school someone brought it in to watch and i thought it was the dumbest movie i ever seen there was nothing remotely funny about the whole movie.

I actually bought the fucking thing. It was fucking stupid, everytime I see that Napoleon fuck and his pussywillow brother I just wanna kick their heads in.

Anything with Johhny Depp in it

The entire Pirates of the Caribbean series

I can't stand tom hanks or johnny depp.

Dude, it's 2012, not 2002. He's made shitloads of horrendous films over the last decade. Sweeney Todd is the last remotely interesting film he did (and the last time he was remotely interesting on screen as an actor).

All James Cameron movies, all Tim Burton movies

Fuckin' hate Tim Burton, all his movies are the same bollocky "look at my half - assed alternative lookin movie with Johnny fuckin' Depp innit?"

The Pirates of the Caribbean Trilogy

Anything with Johhny Depp in it

The entire Pirates of the Caribbean series

I can't stand tom hanks or johnny depp.

Dude, it's 2012, not 2002. He's made shitloads of horrendous films over the last decade. Sweeney Todd is the last remotely interesting film he did (and the last time he was remotely interesting on screen as an actor).

All James Cameron movies, all Tim Burton movies

Fuckin' hate Tim Burton, all his movies are the same bollocky "look at my half - assed alternative lookin movie with Johnny fuckin' Depp innit?"

The Pirates of the Caribbean Trilogy

:rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol:

citizen kane

/thread

Anything starring Will Ferrell.

anything with chris farley and adam sandler for me.

i just don't like that type of humor.

david spade > both of them

also, the austin powers movies.

Edited by SunnyDRE