Who is the better piano player? Dizzy or Axl?

Strange Broue

Going from live recordings and performances I would say Dizzy is technically better and has more flow when he plays. Axl on the other hand is charmingly sloppy. There is no doubt that he has a good ear for composition and he may be better at simply improvising his way in and out of a tune but his technique is so choppy (though sometimes it even feels intentional).

Also, has anyone noticed how curls up his hands when he plays? Like, the finger are all curled up like claws and very tense. I find that to be very odd cuz normally you're supposed to keep you hands relaxed.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dizzy has a far better technique, he's a true keyboardist

axl is an amateur on piano, his technique is quite laughable

Dizzy is like Ron Thal is on guitar

Axl is like Kurt Cobain is on guitar

That's all I'm going to say I should get both sides of the argument to agree with me though I firmly believe one of the above is MUCH better than the other. Though, of course, it could be argued the other is in fact "better".

I am sure Dizzy can play a better piano than Axl bit I'd much rather hear it played from Axl if a song has to have piano But again, if I had the ability to eliminate the needless piano from the UYI albums, I would. Songs like KOHD and Civil War and Bad Apples, the piano destroys the rawness of the songs.

I don't like either TWAT or Catcher. I don't think The Blues is that good either. It's okay, but nothing more.

Do you like anything from Chinese Democracy or are you just one of those weird guys who still hang around, posting extensively in threads about music and members you don't like, despite there being more than 15 years since the band last produced anything you liked?

i think it's normal for people to stay a fan of their favorite band. i think it's abnormal that a band would spend 15 year making a one crappy album and 10 years touring it. it's axl's choice to spend a generation dwelling on this one, crappy, underwhelming phase of gnr. not the fans. axl's stunning lack of creative output has turned liking chinese democracy into a referendum on his whole vision of gnr. pretending that fans have to like cd to like gnr is as stupid as arguing that fans have to like st. anger to like metallica. metallica was just smart enough not to waste an entire generation making one crappy transitional album.

Guest Gunns

I don't like either TWAT or Catcher. I don't think The Blues is that good either. It's okay, but nothing more.

Do you like anything from Chinese Democracy or are you just one of those weird guys who still hang around, posting extensively in threads about music and members you don't like, despite there being more than 15 years since the band last produced anything you liked?

i think it's normal for people to stay a fan of their favorite band. i think it's abnormal that a band would spend 15 year making a one crappy album and 10 years touring it. it's axl's choice to spend a generation dwelling on this one, crappy, underwhelming phase of gnr. not the fans. axl's stunning lack of creative output has turned liking chinese democracy into a referendum on his whole vision of gnr. pretending that fans have to like cd to like gnr is as stupid as arguing that fans have to like st. anger to like metallica. metallica was just smart enough not to waste an entire generation making one crappy transitional album.

what the hell does this have to do with the price of fish?

people don't hate gnr. they just don't like one album. it's extremely normal for fans of a band to dislike one album. or fans of an actor to dislike one movie. the only reason you or anyone else could argue that opinion amounts to "hating gnr" is because gnr hasn't created anything else in 20 years. you're mistaking what should have been one phase for the entirety of the band. if it seems like people hate gnr to you, it's only because you're choosing to interpret this one record as a referendum on all of gnr, past present and future.

If you interpreted what I wrote to "people have to like CD to like GN'R" then you should give it another attempt.

Obviously Dizzy is technically the better of the two and he is strictly a pianist not a singer but he was surprising likeable when I saw him in concert last week but Axl has more charisma and I like his more loose and soulful way of playing.

Chris and Axl are much better than Dizzy. Infact Dizzy is kind of bad.

Your opinion always weird

Obviously Dizzy is technically the better of the two and he is strictly a pianist not a singer but he was surprising likeable when I saw him in concert last week but Axl has more charisma and I like his more loose and soulful way of playing.

I feel this too

Guest Broskirose

Again, I have no idea who you are sir or why you seem to think Dizzy is so great.

He's sloppy, generic and sometimes loses all sense of rythem.

Edited by Broskirose

Axl's piano playing is just more evidence of how more in tune he is with a guy like Slash as opposed to someone like Bumble and co. His playing is just beautifully emotive to me whereas with Dizzy, his shit just always comes across to me as third nipple, unnecessary crap. Especially on the Illusions. Piano etc. on songs where it's needed = Axl. Not needed = Dizzy.

Again, I have no idea who you are sir or why you seem to think Dizzy is so great.

He's sloppy, generic and sometimes loses all sense of rythem.

He's hella generic IMO

I never understood why people disliked Dizzy's piano work on UYI. It gives it very a Stonesy vibe and gives it a little different flavor than the previous releases, nothing wrong with that. Plus the outro on Locomotive is awesome

I think Axl's greatest strength on the piano is his ability to compose on it. He has an ability to create songs with tremendous beauty and great structure even if they aren't "complicated" or hard to play. He has a great sense of melody. Though NR, Estranged and TIL are pretty impressive compositions.

Also have to give credit to Dizzy for The Blues though; absolutely beautiful piano work on that song.

The only part of the GNR show , I recently saw, that was cringeworthy was Dizzy's solo......He is hardly a good piano player. He gets the job done , but ask him to play something like the piano part in Jessica by the Allman Bros., and watch him squirm. He is mediocre at best. I can play better than him and I dont even consider myself a piano player.

He became a piano player when it was just cool to throw a piano guy in with the rockers to clank around (see every song he plays on), and he is just not up to speed with most pros.

But man is he coooool. :xmasschef2:

Personally i think Axl. He composed great songs on piano. Dizzy is good, but i prefer Axl.

at the HOF....green day said "dizzy reed plays a mean keyboard" and green day told dizzy to "keep up the good work" with a big thumbs up. so dizzy is better piano player lol

Personally i think Axl. He composed great songs on piano. Dizzy is good, but i prefer Axl.

at the HOF....green day said "dizzy reed plays a mean keyboard" and green day told dizzy to "keep up the good work" with a big thumbs up. so dizzy is better piano player lol

That was embarrassing as fuck for Dizzy.

That was embarrassing as fuck for Dizzy.

has dizzy reed responded to green days comments towards him from the HOF induction of guns n roses?

I never understood why people disliked Dizzy's piano work on UYI. It gives it very a Stonesy vibe and gives it a little different flavor than the previous releases, nothing wrong with that. Plus the outro on Locomotive is awesome

I think Axl's greatest strength on the piano is his ability to compose on it. He has an ability to create songs with tremendous beauty and great structure even if they aren't "complicated" or hard to play. He has a great sense of melody. Though NR, Estranged and TIL are pretty impressive compositions.

Also have to give credit to Dizzy for The Blues though; absolutely beautiful piano work on that song.

This!