The begining of nu-GN'R - how it all started

Kohler

If anyone has listened to this interview on the Adam Carolla show with David Wild, David provides an anecdote where he was requested by Axl's manager to apologize for a Rolling Stone article that he never wrote. Axl's manager noted that Axl knew David didn't write it but just wanted someone to apologize.

http://www.adamcarolla.com/david-wild-and-fred-dryer/

http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/traffic.libsyn.com/theadamcarollashow/2012.03.20ACS.mp3

I think the same thing could be happening here. Slash was being requested to apologize for something that may never have happened or some things that one would not genuinely feel sorry for.

• Like 1

Marc Canter posted some pretty insightful stuff on the other forum and he bascially stated Axl has an unhealthy hate obsession with Slash so I would say Axl is the one who has not moved on....

Slash has released six albums since leaving Guns so I would say he has done a pretty good job moving on...

Slash does a lot of interviews to promote his music. In these interviews the interviewers ask the same tired questions about Guns and Axl. Slash has stated more than once he is sick of talking about the old days but he understands how to play the game so he answers them. Why should he not answer them because it might piss Axl off? a little late for that yes?

he also said axl wanted slash to play on some chinese democracy songs in 2001 or whatever sounded like axl tried to bury the hatchet but as marc said slash wasnt going to have any of that

You didn't read the interview

You know to avoid getting questions about Axl, Slash should hire his own Del James to have a set of canned questions thrown his way. Would that be fun now?

What crappy thing to do trying to demote your lead guitarist to an employee instead of a partner. A disgusting pathetic show of loyalty by W. Axl Rose. Really stupid arrogant move on Axl's part. Greedy.

It goes both ways. If you look at Slash's solo live album, 1/3 of the songs are GN'R songs. I'd say Slash's career has and is still benefitting from playing songs others have co-written.

Not an entirely fair comparison. Slash has been touring solo since 1996. For about a decade, he didn't touch anything but It's So Easy and Mr. Brownstone. Heaven's Door popped up once or twice at benefit gigs and Paradise City was played at a talk show appearance when Velvet was known as The Project. He really didn't start indulging in GNR material until he began working on and subsequently released his self-titled album.

It goes both ways. If you look at Slash's solo live album, 1/3 of the songs are GN'R songs. I'd say Slash's career has and is still benefitting from playing songs others have co-written.

Not an entirely fair comparison. Slash has been touring solo since 1996. For about a decade, he didn't touch anything but It's So Easy and Mr. Brownstone. Heaven's Door popped up once or twice at benefit gigs and Paradise City was played at a talk show appearance when Velvet was known as The Project. He really didn't start indulging in GNR material until he began working on and subsequently released his self-titled album.

Blues Ball played Heaven's Door in almost every gig but they played a more bluesy-version, miles better than the one Guns did IMO.

Addressing Ali's comment, you're 100% spot on. Slash gives his fans what they want, and they want the only lead guitarist of Guns N' Roses to play those songs the way they're supposed to. :shrugs:

many of these posters, such as angeles and volcano, partly do it just to rile up other posters - which is the effect it has, obviously - and by page 10 it's repetitive bullshit being argued back-and-forth that dates back many years and the actual topic of conversation is effectively buried.

Excuse me, but It doesn't seem that either Volcano or Angeles posted anything in this thread with the express intention to rile up other posters. It seems to me that they're just people who come here for Guns N' Roses (current line-up) news. After seeing that Slash interview posted on the main thread, they called out their objections to, or commented on what they didn't agree with him saying. What's wrong in that?

On the other hand, there are a lot of posters here whose sole occupation in life seems to be coming here to rile up fans of the current line up. Frankly ER, it would be just great to see you call them out when they do that thumbsup.gif.

why are you guys hating on Slash?

the GNR guitarist.

Why are people hating on Axl?

The GN'R singer.

It goes both ways you know

i'm not saying people should attack axl, but that is one of the worst comparisons you could have possibly made. :lol: if slash were the one touring as guns n' roses with a different lineup then it would be apt. in this case, whether he deserves the criticism or not, whatever criticism there is does deserve to be on axl because he's the gn'r singer who's touring without the gn'r guitarist - for comparison's sake.

Slash is the FORMER GN'R guitarist. Iconic, lead guitarist and everything, yeah but he is NOT in Guns N' Roses anymore.

Edited by The Archer

Blues Ball played Heaven's Door in almost every gig but they played a more bluesy-version, miles better than the one Guns did IMO.

Addressing Ali's comment, you're 100% spot on. Slash gives his fans what they want, and they want the only lead guitarist of Guns N' Roses to play those songs the way they're supposed to. :shrugs:

I completely forgot about Blues Ball's cover. That was fucking gold.

Well, first of all, this whole Slash vs. Axl discussion, after --what? 10 years of forum?--, is just bizarre.

But still I want to make an observation. Izzy depicted, in his '01 interview, a dictatorial Axl, who wanted him as an employee, gaining less money than before. Axl "hates" Slash because he publicly (Axl says so) lied. Did Axl say the same thing about that Izzy's statement? Or Izzy lied -- and Axl should "hate" him --, or Izzy said the truth, and hence maybe Slash is not entirely lying. Not an important issue. It's just my curiosity...

Marc Canter posted some pretty insightful stuff on the other forum and he bascially stated Axl has an unhealthy hate obsession with Slash so I would say Axl is the one who has not moved on....

Slash has released six albums since leaving Guns so I would say he has done a pretty good job moving on...

Slash does a lot of interviews to promote his music. In these interviews the interviewers ask the same tired questions about Guns and Axl. Slash has stated more than once he is sick of talking about the old days but he understands how to play the game so he answers them. Why should he not answer them because it might piss Axl off? a little late for that yes?

he also said axl wanted slash to play on some chinese democracy songs in 2001 or whatever sounded like axl tried to bury the hatchet but as marc said slash wasnt going to have any of that

You didn't read the interview

"It’s similar to the situation with Chinese Democracy. It was finished in 2001. I mean finished. There was a possibility that Slash could have played on a few tracks if he were willing to apologize to Axl and in the press for the things that he had made public about Axl allegedly blackmailing him. Axl was cracking the door open and saying “If you apologize publicly for the things you said about me forcing you out I have three songs and I’d like you to play on them”. They were three songs that Slash had written on and Axl wanted to do something with them and include them on Chinese Democracy which would have been so cool. That was never going to happen because Slash was too “cool” to apologize publicly first of all and second of all because half the things he wanted Slash to apologize for never happened, at least not in Slash’s recollection. Axl’s burying any option to release stuff with Slash’s likeness and that extended to his participation or interest in my book."

so where was i wrong?

He gets asked questions about Guns N' Roses, that's why he talks about Guns N' Roses. Slash is not like Axl where he talks to the interviewer prior to the interview and requests that certain questions not be asked, he mans up, goes in there and does the interview like any other respectable musician would. The fact he gets shit from Guns N' Roses fans for answering questions about Guns N' Roses is beyond me....

Well, first of all, this whole Slash vs. Axl discussion, after --what? 10 years of forum?--, is just bizarre.

But still I want to make an observation. Izzy depicted, in his '01 interview, a dictatorial Axl, who wanted him as an employee, gaining less money than before. Axl "hates" Slash because he publicly (Axl says so) lied. Did Axl say the same thing about that Izzy's statement? Or Izzy lied -- and Axl should "hate" him --, or Izzy said the truth, and hence maybe Slash is not entirely lying. Not an important issue. It's just my curiosity...

"Nevertheless, Izzy did return briefly to the Gunners, in 1993, after Gilby Clarke, his short-lived replacement, busted his hand in a dirt bike accident. For the fans, it was a welcome return for one of the original members. For Izzy, "It was weird. We toured Greece, Istanbul, London - I liked that side of it, seeing some places I'd never seen." But that was the only thing he did like about it. After he'd left the band, he had "a big shitload of money sitting somewhere [for me] and they weren't paying me [it]. I don't know the deal was, some kind of legal bullshit." Funds, he claims, which were only released after he agreed to come back temporarily. "Money was a big sore point. I did the dates just for salary. I mean, I helped start this band..." Up comes the guitar again. A flurry of angry notes ensue."

I believe Izzy lied too? Where did he apologize for this statement? :confused:

Excuse me, but It doesn't seem that either Volcano or Angeles posted anything in this thread with the express intention to rile up other posters.

No, they did. Volcano does it consistently.

On the other hand, there are a lot of posters here whose sole occupation in life seems to be coming here to rile up fans of the current line up. Frankly ER, it would be just great to see you call them out when they do that thumbsup.gif.

There's been plenty of other negative posts about Slash in this thread, but when people express their opinions intelligently - or at least attempt to do so - that's fine in my book. That's why I only singled out those two people and none of the others. When you're just trying to get a reaction and not contributing anything useful to the discussion, then you're trolling. As for calling out people on the other side of the fence -- I haven't been real active in recent time and haven't read all of this thread let alone some of the other topics. Technically, I'm not yet a moderator again, and just because I'm going to be one doesn't mean I'm going to be forum police all the time. I've always called it how I see it - I think volcano in particular enjoys trolling people and I would be saying that regardless. I'm not saying that as a voice of authority - I'm just saying he trolls, simple as, and I don't feel the need to seek out people from the other side to chastise them too. If I see anti-Axl troll posts that particularly bother me or fit into the course of whatever I'm discussing, I'll say something, as I have in the past.

Slash is the FORMER GN'R guitarist. Iconic, lead guitarist and everything, yeah but he is NOT in Guns N' Roses anymore.

um, did you read my post? if so, you completely missed the point. i never said he was the current guitarist. i said he will forever be perceived by the general public as "the guns n' roses guitarist," like it or not, and that's why journalists will forever ask him questions about GN'R. because that's what the average person is interested in. that's what sells. and we could - and have - talked at length here before about how axl failed to cement his replacements as a viable band in the public eye, but the short of it is: in the years of silence, GN'R grew in stature, and that old lineup is what became 'definitive' in the eyes of the public because that was the music that became classic, and those guys were the ones whose image became attached to it - and at the end of the day, you can't really control pop culture with legalities. There will never, ever be an article written about Slash ever that doesn't refer to him as a guitarist from GN'R. Joe Schmoe from down the street, and Sorority Bimbo dancing drunk on the table at the karaoke bar jamming out to "SCOM," will never know who Robin Finck is. And that's why people like Piers Morgan inevitably ask Slash questions about GN'R.

Edited by Estranged Reality

No one, and I mean no one, cares what Slash has to say.

Posted Yesterday, 02:03 PM

Nobody, and I mean nobody, cares about you or your cupcake posts.

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:36 AM

Show of hands who here cares what Slash thinks?

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:55 PM

No one, and I mean no one, cares what Slash thinks.

Starting to sound like a broken record, no?

Edited by WhazUp

The only time in his post-GnR days he's been able to get away with not playing GnR tunes and playing anything more than bars is when he was with VR. With Azoff in their corner, they followed Audioslave's formula to a tee and had a very successful debut album and tour. The second time, they thought they could do it themselves (with Perla as manager instead of Azoff) and the album and tour both tanked horribly.

These days Slash is relegated to playing 1500 person venues and the only reason he's not playing plain old bars is the GnR tunes. So let's not pretend this decision was voluntary; he has a money hungry/spend happy wife and the only way he can attract 1000-1500 people to his concerts is the GnR stuff.

"Apparently Axl had these ideas for a while already as he did the same with Izzy back in 1991"

The Izzy stuff is VERY misleading. Whether it was Axl that handed Izzy the contract or not, I don't know.

But what I do know is that Axl would NOT have had the legal authority to minimize Izzy's role unless Slash and Duff were in agreement. It may have been decided that Axl be the one to break the news to Izzy, but it would have had to have been a group decision.

And for those that doubt that Slash and Duff would be a part of it, consider the fact that a reduction in Izzy's % of touring revenue would mean an increase in the % for the others. So Axl, Slash AND Duff would have to agree and sign off on the new arrangement.

How do you know that the revenue wasn't ceded over solely to Axl? How can you determine if the % was increase the others? I'm not saying it wasn't but what evidence do you have to compel this conclusion? Seems like rather silly syllogism.

Didn't Slash mention in his book of Axl arguing for a higher percentage than Steven Adler because he didn't feel like they were equals so he took part of Steven's share. I think that's mentioned somewhere in the book.