The begining of nu-GN'R - how it all started

Kohler

It goes both ways. If you look at Slash's solo live album, 1/3 of the songs are GN'R songs. I'd say Slash's career has and is still benefitting from playing songs others have co-written.

Not an entirely fair comparison. Slash has been touring solo since 1996. For about a decade, he didn't touch anything but It's So Easy and Mr. Brownstone. Heaven's Door popped up once or twice at benefit gigs and Paradise City was played at a talk show appearance when Velvet was known as The Project. He really didn't start indulging in GNR material until he began working on and subsequently released his self-titled album.

The only time in his post-GnR days he's been able to get away with not playing GnR tunes and playing anything more than bars is when he was with VR. With Azoff in their corner, they followed Audioslave's formula to a tee and had a very successful debut album and tour. The second time, they thought they could do it themselves (with Perla as manager instead of Azoff) and the album and tour both tanked horribly.

These days Slash is relegated to playing 1500 person venues and the only reason he's not playing plain old bars is the GnR tunes. So let's not pretend this decision was voluntary; he has a money hungry/spend happy wife and the only way he can attract 1000-1500 people to his concerts is the GnR stuff.

You're excluding his success with VR to validate your point? He did fine with both Snakepit bands as well. The second Snakepit toured with AC/DC. People go to see Slash because he's Slash, a guitar legend, not just because they get to hear Sweet Child o' Mine.

Yeah, not really though. None of his post-GnR albums aside from Contraband have sold well, and none of his post-GnR tour aside from the first few VR tours have done well. Nobody has ever really cared about anything he did after GnR aside from Contraband, and that was as much a product of Scott/STP's popularity and GnR's popularity combined with the presences of Duff/Matt's as it was Slash, as much as that may hurt some people to admit.

So you have no evidence to conclude that was Izzy's reduced percentage was allocated to the remaining members equally, pro-rata, or any other fitting allocation method but you made that conclusion anyway?

Even if the % taken from Izzy's share of touring revenue was being added to Axl's %, a change in the revenue split of touring revenues would still have to have been approved by all members of the partnership. The quote from Izzy has been used numerous times on GNR boards to paint Axl as someone who went behind everyone's back to minimize Izzy's participation in that revenue stream for his own personal gain. I'm simply pointing out that the commonly suggested scenario would have been impossible. It may be true that Axl was chosen to be the one to approach Izzy about the change, but it would have had to have been a group decision. The quote is typically used by bitter ex-fans to suggest a scenario that wouldn't have been possible.

Yeah, not really though. None of his post-GnR albums aside from Contraband have sold well, and none of his post-GnR tour aside from the first few VR tours have done well. Nobody has ever really cared about anything he did after GnR aside from Contraband, and that was as much a product of Scott/STP's popularity and GnR's popularity combined with the presences of Duff/Matt's as it was Slash, as much as that may hurt some people to admit.

Slash's album Slash did better than I thought. I don't remember what the sales figures were but they were decent. He got to play with Michael Jackson without playing GN'R songs. I would say that Kickingthehabit had a valid point. Slash has done pretty for a solo artist.

Excuse me, but It doesn't seem that either Volcano or Angeles posted anything in this thread with the express intention to rile up other posters.

No, they did. Volcano does it consistently.

He has a clean slate. No bias, please.

On the other hand, there are a lot of posters here whose sole occupation in life seems to be coming here to rile up fans of the current line up. Frankly ER, it would be just great to see you call them out when they do that thumbsup.gif.

There's been plenty of other negative posts about Slash in this thread, but when people express their opinions intelligently - or at least attempt to do so - that's fine in my book. That's why I only singled out those two people and none of the others. When you're just trying to get a reaction and not contributing anything useful to the discussion, then you're trolling. As for calling out people on the other side of the fence -- I haven't been real active in recent time and haven't read all of this thread let alone some of the other topics. Technically, I'm not yet a moderator again, and just because I'm going to be one doesn't mean I'm going to be forum police all the time. I've always called it how I see it - I think volcano in particular enjoys trolling people and I would be saying that regardless. I'm not saying that as a voice of authority - I'm just saying he cupcakes, simple as, and I don't feel the need to seek out people from the other side to chastise them too. If I see anti-Axl cupcake posts that particularly bother me or fit into the course of whatever I'm discussing, I'll say something, as I have in the past.

That's really interesting and welcome to hear. Volcano and Angeles together are easily outnumbered on here, by a factor of ten perhaps. I look forward to you being even-handed as a moderator in dealing with both sides.

Btw, what is your view on the current line-up - is it Guns N' Roses?

Slash is the FORMER GN'R guitarist. Iconic, lead guitarist and everything, yeah but he is NOT in Guns N' Roses anymore.

um, did you read my post? if so, you completely missed the point. i never said he was the current guitarist. i said he will forever be perceived by the general public as "the guns n' roses guitarist," like it or not, and that's why journalists will forever ask him questions about GN'R. because that's what the average person is interested in. that's what sells. and we could - and have - talked at length here before about how axl failed to cement his replacements as a viable band in the public eye, but the short of it is: in the years of silence, GN'R grew in stature, and that old lineup is what became 'definitive' in the eyes of the public because that was the music that became classic, and those guys were the ones whose image became attached to it - and at the end of the day, you can't really control pop culture with legalities. There will never, ever be an article written about Slash ever that doesn't refer to him as a guitarist from GN'R. Joe Schmoe from down the street, and Sorority Bimbo dancing drunk on the table at the karaoke bar jamming out to "SCOM," will never know who Robin Finck is. And that's why people like Piers Morgan inevitably ask Slash questions about GN'R.

You missed mine. Packaging a Slash interview as the beginning of nu-GN'R when the matter is just old wine in an old bottle is just as irrelevant and just as much, trolling.

Edited by The Archer

So you have no evidence to conclude that was Izzy's reduced percentage was allocated to the remaining members equally, pro-rata, or any other fitting allocation method but you made that conclusion anyway?

I made no conclusion whatsoever, only that the rest of the partnership would be entitled to that revenue and would have had to agree on how it would be split. It would have been impossible for Axl to make any changes on his own. If Axl, Slash and Duff felt Izzy wasn't working as hard on tour and shouldn't be paid as much as the rest, so be it. I'm not saying I agree or disagree. All I'm saying is that any change would have had to have been a group decision. Axl was not the only one that complained about Izzy at that time. Slash was vocal about it as well. Not sure if Duff gave a shit, but again, the three of them would have had to agree on any change.

but remember they kicked Adler, they got new management, a new record, the contract that they had for AFD had to be modified, Axl saw the opportunity to modify Izzy's status in the band without touching Slash's or Duff clauses... you could say he was "negotiating" with Izzy his share/status in the band

It goes both ways. If you look at Slash's solo live album, 1/3 of the songs are GN'R songs. I'd say Slash's career has and is still benefitting from playing songs others have co-written.

Not an entirely fair comparison. Slash has been touring solo since 1996. For about a decade, he didn't touch anything but It's So Easy and Mr. Brownstone. Heaven's Door popped up once or twice at benefit gigs and Paradise City was played at a talk show appearance when Velvet was known as The Project. He really didn't start indulging in GNR material until he began working on and subsequently released his self-titled album.

The only time in his post-GnR days he's been able to get away with not playing GnR tunes and playing anything more than bars is when he was with VR. With Azoff in their corner, they followed Audioslave's formula to a tee and had a very successful debut album and tour. The second time, they thought they could do it themselves (with Perla as manager instead of Azoff) and the album and tour both tanked horribly.

These days Slash is relegated to playing 1500 person venues and the only reason he's not playing plain old bars is the GnR tunes. So let's not pretend this decision was voluntary; he has a money hungry/spend happy wife and the only way he can attract 1000-1500 people to his concerts is the GnR stuff.

Yeah, Snakepit does bar shows...

So let's not pretend this decision was voluntary; he has a money hungry/spend happy wife and the only way he can attract 1000-1500 people to his concerts is the GnR stuff.

Bullshit! My link

and this was just the solo stuff...

Your arguments fills in for Axl...

Nobody has ever really cared about anything he did after GnR aside from Contraband, and that was as much a product of Scott/STP's popularity and GnR's popularity combined with the presences of Duff/Matt's as it was Slash, as much as that may hurt some people to admit.

Yeah,yeah, because Duff/Matt gained more popularity than him...

Please, stfu

Edited by Crash Diet

i'm not saying people should attack axl, but that is one of the worst comparisons you could have possibly made. :lol: if slash were the one touring as guns n' roses with a different lineup then it would be apt. in this case, whether he deserves the criticism or not, whatever criticism there is does deserve to be on axl because he's the gn'r singer who's touring without the gn'r guitarist - for comparison's sake.

What? I am sure I misunderstand you, but it seems like you are saying that Axl deserves criticism because he is not any longer touring with "the GN'R guitarist" (=Slash). What did you really mean?

As we all know, Axl is not touring with many FORMER GN'R guitarists (Tracii, Bucket, Paul, etc), but that is not a genuine source of criticism, it is just how bands evolve. Some band members quit while some have the strength to continue. If anyone should be criticised for Axl and Slash not being in the same band anymore, it should be Slash for giving up on GN'R and favouring his own solo career -- just like he now has with Velvet Revolver -- rather than resolve the differences with Axl. I am not saying Axl is an easy man to work with, but if quitting is your solution then you have given away any chance to complain about what happens with the band afterwards.

i'm not saying people should attack axl, but that is one of the worst comparisons you could have possibly made. :lol: if slash were the one touring as guns n' roses with a different lineup then it would be apt. in this case, whether he deserves the criticism or not, whatever criticism there is does deserve to be on axl because he's the gn'r singer who's touring without the gn'r guitarist - for comparison's sake.

What? I am sure I misunderstand you, but it seems like you are saying that Axl deserves criticism because he is not any longer touring with "the GN'R guitarist" (=Slash). What did you really mean?

As we all know, Axl is not touring with many FORMER GN'R guitarists (Tracii, Bucket, Paul, etc), but that is not a genuine source of criticism, it is just how bands evolve. Some band members quit while some have the strength to continue. If anyone should be criticised for Axl and Slash not being in the same band anymore, it should be Slash for giving up on GN'R and favouring his own solo career -- just like he now has with Velvet Revolver -- rather than resolve the differences with Axl. I am not saying Axl is an easy man to work with, but if quitting is your solution then you have given away any chance to complain about what happens with the band afterwards.

he means if anybody cares enough and tries a bit too much to just attemp to criticize someone for "making a living with the stuff from the past" the balance would be more inclined towards Axl. that's all.

and just for the record, Slash quit GNR, but i've never heard him complain about the state of the band after he left.

the VR example is a very weak argument to prove your point, he didn't quit VR, the band stopped, neither Duff or Matt are trying to continue without him. for all we know they all lost interest and are trying to continue on their own.

Edited by dario27

he means if anybody cares enough and tries a bit too much to just attemp to criticize someone for "making a living with the stuff from the past" the balance would be more inclined towards Axl. that's all.

Surely no one is going to criticise Axl, as frontman in Guns N' Roses, for playing classic Guns N' Roses songs at Guns N' Roses concerts for Guns N' Roses fans? That is qualitatively different than former Guns N' Roses members playing Guns N' Roses songs during their live sets with their new bands.

the VR example is a very weak argument to prove your point, he didn't quit VR, the band stopped, neither Duff or Matt are trying to continue without him. for all we know they all lost interest and are trying to continue on their own.

My point was just to highlight Slash's modus operandi when band life becomes too complicated: focus on solo career where he can call all shots himself. After quitting GN'R he probably learned that quitting was a bad decision, so this time he just abandoned Velvet Revolver, effectively stopping Duff and Matt from going anywhere with the band (and vetoing any decisions on new vocalists), thus ensuring that he will never be "the former guitarist in VR" and ensuring that he will never be blamed for ruining that band, too.

Slash is just WAY beyond pathetic at this point. He's bitching as he's been relegated to playing in bars and pubs whilst Axl headlines the biggest music festivals in the world.

Slash relies on questions about Axl to get some press as no one these days cares about him, its all about Axl. Jesus, even the blinded Slash woprshippers spend their time on the GnR forums as they can't find a few hundred peeps to create a forum for themselves.

Slash is just WAY beyond pathetic at this point. He's bitching as he's been relegated to playing in bars and pubs whilst Axl headlines the biggest music festivals in the world.

Slash relies on questions about Axl to get some press as no one these days cares about him, its all about Axl. Jesus, even the blinded Slash woprshippers spend their time on the GnR forums as they can't find a few hundred peeps to create a forum for themselves.

No no. Slash has a large following and it is well deserved, no one should deny him the great riffs and solos he created while in GN'R. His decision to leave GN'R was the right one, though, because it allowed him to continue to make the kind of music he wanted perpetually while it freed Guns N' Roses from the shackles of the pentatonic scale and allowed the band to evolve as a music act. It is basically a win-win scenario and I wish most fans would realize this, instead of complaining about it all the time and attacking whatever person they consider the fault for what happened.

Surely no one is going to criticise Axl, as frontman in Guns N' Roses, for playing classic Guns N' Roses songs at Guns N' Roses concerts for Guns N' Roses fans? That is qualitatively different than former Guns N' Roses members playing Guns N' Roses songs during their live sets with their new bands.

My point was just to highlight Slash's modus operandi when band life becomes too complicated: focus on solo career where he can call all shots himself. After quitting GN'R he probably learned that quitting was a bad decision, so this time he just abandoned Velvet Revolver, effectively stopping Duff and Matt from going anywhere with the band (and vetoing any decisions on new vocalists), thus ensuring that he will never be "the former guitarist in VR" and ensuring that he will never be blamed for ruining that band, too.

some don't see it as Guns N' Roses, some see it as Axl and some others playing stuff he wrote with former bandmates. Slash ain't playing ChiDem material, he's playing stuff he wrote with others and out of a 20 song set he plays 4 GNR songs, that's 1/5th of the set.. surely Axl is doing more than that, and he's on his own right of course, but so are Slash, Izzy, Duff and Steven.

Slash loves to play, so does Duff and Matt, if GNR or VR are not going they're not going to sit at home like some lazy bumps just making a living out of the royalties for AFD and UYI. there's no need to remind you Duff, Matt and Slash (current VR former GNR members) have had their solo projects before, even whie being in GNR.

i'm not so sure Slash "learned" quitting GNR was a bad decision, it was actually the best decision he made, even Duff followed him, they love to play and create music, they're not going to be miserable just to sit next to Axl, why would they?, they've been there done that and it's not attractive for them anymore...

some don't see it as Guns N' Roses, some see it as Axl and some others playing stuff he wrote with former bandmates. Slash ain't playing ChiDem material, he's playing stuff he wrote with others and out of a 20 song set he plays 4 GNR songs, that's 1/5th of the set.. surely Axl is doing more than that, and he's on his own right of course, but so are Slash, Izzy, Duff and Steven.

I have nothing against former members playing songs they helped create. I just found it hilarious that anyone could criticise Axl as the frontman and founding member of Guns N' Roses for playing classic Guns N' Roses songs at Guns N' Roses concerts to Guns N' Roses fans.

Slash loves to play, so does Duff and Matt, if GNR or VR are not going they're not going to sit at home like some lazy bumps just making a living out of the royalties for AFD and UYI. there's no need to remind you Duff, Matt and Slash (current VR former GNR members) have had their solo projects before, even whie being in GNR.

i'm not so sure Slash "learned" quitting GNR was a bad decision, it was actually the best decision he made, even Duff followed him, they love to play and create music, they're not going to be miserable just to sit next to Axl, why would they?, they've been there done that and it's not attractive for them anymore...

You have already pointing out that Slash was able to follow his solo career while still being in Guns N' Roses so hence there was no need for him to quit the band. He could just have done what he is now doing with Velvet Revolver: abandon the ship by focusing on his own selfish solo projects and effectively preventing the other band members from doing any sensible with the band. I am very happy he didn't chose that exact method with Guns N' Roses because I like my GN'R to be a living band with a future, not a stalled project. I feel sorry for Duff and Matt who I am sure has done a lot to appease Slash and make him more interested in continuing with the band, but I am happy for Axl for not having been forced into the same checkmated situation by a selfish person who only cares about his own musical ideas and projects.

while it freed Guns N' Roses from the shackles of the pentatonic scale and allowed the band to evolve as a music act. It is basically a win-win scenario and I wish most fans would realize this, instead of complaining about it all the time and attacking whatever person they consider the fault for what happened.

Lamest post of the month....

If the so called pentatonic Slash play doesn't allowed in GNR, you couldn't hear this new band evolve as a music act...

Please ,consider things realisticly. If Slash and Axl and Izzy, and Duff and Adler doesn't make AFD, this current band is never existed. Never. Ever.

Win-win scenario? Not for the GNR fans...

:crazy:

saw Slash two weeks ago and 25% of his set was songs from Appetite. I saw GNR a couple months before that and 25% of their set was songs from Appetite.

You easily forgot the UYI's and Lies...

Edited by Crash Diet

Okay, so why doesn't Slash promote the record and promote his new band instead of STILL talking about Axl and the original GNR.

Piers: “I can’t not discuss Guns n’ Roses. You don’t wanna sit here banging on about Axl Rose for the rest of your life.”

Slash: “Alright.”

Piers: “Do you?”

Slash: “No!”

Errr, did you watch the video? At all?

Hey Axl! Move on!

Ugh.

And ? Axl is talking truth, the very similar stories were told by Nikki Sixx ( who was at that time and I believe still is Slash's friend) in both "Heroin Diaries" and "Dirt" that Slash would drink so much that it was normal normal for him to pass out and wet himself.

always the same story ... slash can't stop talking about Axl and GNR to promote himself .. :violin: I hope someday he uses his imagination to be someone by his own :tongue2:

Are you actually playing with a full deck? I mean seriously you got from that interview that Slash was deliberately bringing up Axl to promote himself? What was it that gave it away? The way Piers brought it up with no prompting, almost apologetically? Or was it the part where Slash said he didn't want to talk about it? Dear god, give me strength!

• Like 1

Okay, so why doesn't Slash promote the record and promote his new band instead of STILL talking about Axl and the original GNR.

Piers: “I can’t not discuss Guns n’ Roses. You don’t wanna sit here banging on about Axl Rose for the rest of your life.”

Slash: “Alright.”

Piers: “Do you?”

Slash: “No!”

Errr, did you watch the video? At all?

Nah, he just wanted to bitch.

It's been pretty obvious that Slash doesn't like the GNR questions and looks uncomfortable to even answer them. But, like any one with a product out, they have to promote it and do interviews.

I'm not on anyone's side.

But it strikes me as odd that everyone but Axl has seemed to move on.

Slash/Duff/Matt had VR, Izzy has dropped countless solo albums.

I think 2 Loaded albums for Duff. Slash has at least 2 since VR broke up.

And don't give me the "he has to live up to Guns N' Roses" line. That's the biggest straw man argument I've heard.

If he really thought that, "Silkworms" never gets made. Fact is: nothing on Chinese really sounds like Guns N' Roses.

I have nothing against former members playing songs they helped create. I just found it hilarious that anyone could criticise Axl as the frontman and founding member of Guns N' Roses for playing classic Guns N' Roses songs at Guns N' Roses concerts to Guns N' Roses fans.

You have already pointing out that Slash was able to follow his solo career while still being in Guns N' Roses so hence there was no need for him to quit the band. He could just have done what he is now doing with Velvet Revolver: abandon the ship by focusing on his own selfish solo projects and effectively preventing the other band members from doing any sensible with the band. I am very happy he didn't chose that exact method with Guns N' Roses because I like my GN'R to be a living band with a future, not a stalled project. I feel sorry for Duff and Matt who I am sure has done a lot to appease Slash and make him more interested in continuing with the band, but I am happy for Axl for not having been forced into the same checkmated situation by a selfish person who only cares about his own musical ideas and projects.

no, Slash mentioned in his book that he was told by Geffen that he had to focus on the main band GNR because they had to release an album, afterall Guns was the main gig and for what they knew at the time, they had the right members to continue, not the same scenario as VR...... for whatever reason (no need for details) the GNR album was never completed and Slash felt he was wasting his time, so he left to continue doing what he does, play music.

and there's no need to feel sorry for Duff and Matt, they have their own projects were they call their own shots and all, same as Axl and Izzy and Steven.

also, GNR was a stalled project even after Slash left, so i doubt he had anything to do with that.

GNR after Slash has only released one album.. a few of the people that help create that album are not in the band anymore, so the new guys are not receiving royalties from ChiDem (even if they were, i''m sure it wouldn't be much anyways) so it seems they're touring just to pay the salary to the new members and keep the thing alive, surviving at this point.

i'm sure Slash, Izzy, Duff, Steven or Matt wouldn't like to be in that "band".

Edited by dario27

You've arbitrarily decided that releasing numerous albums is a requirement for moving on.

No that's in no way a requirement to make a name for yourself as a musician in your own right. Completely irrelevant clearly.

Oh and I've arbitarily decided that you're a bit silly!

Erm, did you guys know that Slash has a new record. a man must promote his work i guess.

It seems each time Slash talks about the past, something new is said. At this stage of the game, I don't know if Slash makes shit up as he goes along, or he remembers new shit each time, but like Axl has said, dude, it's time to move on.

Slash has been out of the band for close to 20 years, he's moved on to so many different bands, yet the question of a reunion still comes up and he continues to talk about it even though he did say after the Hall of Fame, that it's over and done with.

Slash needs to quote Axl and tell them "not in this lifetime" and move the hell on.

All of the members have moved on, why can't some reporters and fans do the same.

because slash is a prostitute...

he did not say "make a name for yourself as a musician in your own right." he said, "everyone but Axl has seemed to move on."

please read posts before responding to them. thanks.

What other context could he have possibly meant you dullard?

Please stop acting like a complete tool! Thanks! :kiss:

But it strikes me as odd that everyone but Axl has seemed to move on.

Brodie, could you please confirm that my interpretation was pretty much on the money? I love the ability to identify implied meaning in a statement. :lol:

Edited by Dazey