The begining of nu-GN'R - how it all started

Kohler

It goes both ways. If you look at Slash's solo live album, 1/3 of the songs are GN'R songs. I'd say Slash's career has and is still benefitting from playing songs others have co-written.

Not an entirely fair comparison. Slash has been touring solo since 1996. For about a decade, he didn't touch anything but It's So Easy and Mr. Brownstone. Heaven's Door popped up once or twice at benefit gigs and Paradise City was played at a talk show appearance when Velvet was known as The Project. He really didn't start indulging in GNR material until he began working on and subsequently released his self-titled album.

The only time in his post-GnR days he's been able to get away with not playing GnR tunes and playing anything more than bars is when he was with VR. With Azoff in their corner, they followed Audioslave's formula to a tee and had a very successful debut album and tour. The second time, they thought they could do it themselves (with Perla as manager instead of Azoff) and the album and tour both tanked horribly.

These days Slash is relegated to playing 1500 person venues and the only reason he's not playing plain old bars is the GnR tunes. So let's not pretend this decision was voluntary; he has a money hungry/spend happy wife and the only way he can attract 1000-1500 people to his concerts is the GnR stuff.

Slash has played for more people than that since he left Guns. I don't know where did you get that "1000-1500 person venues". Do you have proof or are you trying to demean Slash's work with your mental retardation?

Pretty accurate, yes.

Moved on in the professional sense.

But you won't get anywhere replying to some bizzaro joke character.

Anyway, I love the 2002 band. The ones that made every song you'll never hear.

Pretty accurate, yes.

Moved on in the professional sense.

But you won't get anywhere replying to some bizzaro joke character.

Anyway, I love the 2002 band. The ones that made every song you'll never hear.

Cheers, I just wanted to point out to that clown that most normal people with a reasonable grasp of the English language can understand the meaning of a statement without having it spelled out to them in minute detail.

I loved the 2002 band too, I just wish we could hear some of the other material. They excited me as they truly represented something different. A lot of people hated them for being such a departure from the classic lineup but to me that was the perfect way for Axl to leave the past behind him and take his band in a completely new direction. I often wonder what may have been if Oh My God had been a hit. I would love to have heard Axl release an album of songs in that style.

Guest Len B'stard
Slash is just looking for attention as usual.

I think you'll find when you play guitar like Slash, attention finds you ;)

Slash has to mention GN'R since he has little else to show for his career.

Apart from the first Velvet Revolver album being a bigger success than Chinese Democracy? As for people saying he's seeking attention, it's called 'promoting your latest album', something Axl knows very little about.

Guest Len B'stard

Precisely, whether you like it or not, Slash is a guitar icon and i don't think the same applies for Axl as a lead singer. I think a lot of people would like him to be and would like to stick him up there with the big boys of lead singerey but unfortunately, for whatever reason, he's never quite cut it. Shame cuz i reckon he has a better voice than most of em but unfortunately that just ain't the way shit has unfolded.

I saw Slash two weeks ago and 25% of his set was songs from Appetite. I saw GNR a couple months before that and 25% of their set was songs from Appetite.

Slash played 6 songs from his most recent record at the time, GNR played 7 songs from their most recent record at the time.

I make these comparisons not as a criticism of Slash, but as an example of the insane double standard that exists with some of the bitter ex-fans that constantly criticize Axl for supposedly relying too much on the Appetite material.

Apples and oranges brah. Slash is playing just 4 or 5 songs from Appetite, and they're the only GNR songs he plays. The comparison's a joke. Axl milks a lot more songs into the set list from his heyday with Slash than Slash currently does. That's a fact.

Slash also has released 6 albums in the time Axl has released one. A few of those albums being pretty popular (It's Five O clock Somewhere, Contraband, and the first solo album specifically), which fill out the majority of his set list. The majority of his set list consists of songs from his post GNR heyday, and that's the main factor of why he receives less criticism than Axl in terms of concerts.

Edited by Bobbo

if slash has put out six albums in the time that axl has released one, shouldn't appetite songs make up a smaller percentage of his set than GNR's set?

I'm not talking just about Appetite, I'm talking about the whole heyday. The whole nine; Appetite, Lies, and the UYIs. Axl milks the glory days with Slash way more than Slash does now. Fact.

When Axl starts playing just 5 songs to relive the glory days, and 15 songs from his post classic band career, than we can start talking apples and apples.

Edited by Bobbo

if slash has put out six albums in the time that axl has released one, shouldn't appetite songs make up a smaller percentage of his set than GNR's set?

Fair point...

Well, it is their most famous work, the biggest selling debut of all time and one of the greatest rock albums ever recorded. I don't think either can NOT do songs from it, regardless of output since then.

Fair point...

Where's the fair point? So he shouldn't be playing songs he wrote and/or co-wrote with other musicians while in Guns? He's playing his whole catalog and using songs that he thinks Myles can do justice (whether you like it or not).

I'm not talking just about Appetite, I'm talking about the whole heyday. The whole nine; Appetite, Lies, and the UYIs. Axl milks the glory days with Slash way more than Slash does now. Fact.

When Axl starts playing just 5 songs to relive the glory days, and 15 songs from his post classic band career, than we can start talking apples and apples.

He would NEVER do that. Otherwise he would be playing in front of 300 persons at max.

Fair point...

Where's the fair point? So he shouldn't be playing songs he wrote and/or co-wrote with other musicians while in Guns? He's playing his whole catalog and using songs that he thinks Myles can do justice (whether you like it or not).

I've seen Slash & Myles live twice in the last couple of years - both times amazing. Slash can do whatever he wants. As can Axl - including carrying on with the band that HE created...

Fair point...

He would NEVER do that. Otherwise he would be playing in front of 300 persons at max.

The two times I've seen Slash & Myles lately - crowd about 1500 each time. last time I saw Axl live in Sydney 2010 - crowd 61,500. That's Sixty One Thousand and Five Hundred people to watch him & GnR. :)

Fair point...

The two times I've seen Slash & Myles lately - crowd about 1500 each time. last time I saw Axl live in Sydney 2010 - crowd 61,500. That's Sixty One Thousand and Five Hundred people to watch him & GnR. :)

Did you read my post?

No, they did. Volcano does it consistently.

Whats your problem man? I come here for Guns N' Roses discussion and news. This god damn thread doesn't even belong in the main section. Get off your high horse and get a set of fuckin balls if you can't handle my posts.

Edited by volcano62

^Such as?

patience and my michelle off the top of my head

He wrote the intro and solo to My Michelle at the very least.

What about Rocket Queen? Axl plays it every night if not almost every night and all he did was sing it. It's So Easy played every night and all he did was sing it. Didn't even write the melody.

Axl plays a lot more he didn't write than Axl. You Could Be Mine.

EDIT: This discussion is stupid and everyone knows it. Axl plays way more shit from the heyday, Axl plays way more shit from other people. End of.

Edited by The_Universal_Sigh

Whats your problem man? I come here for Guns N' Roses discussion and news. This god damn thread doesn't even belong in the main section. Get off your high horse and get a set of fuckin balls if you can't handle my posts.

You shouldn't be talking that way to the next MOD, you know that right? No disrespect involved. It would be sad to see you banned again. I really mean it.

If it wasn't for Slash GNR would not have been famous, this section wouldn't even fucking exist. A thread where Slash talks about the 1993-1995 era or whatever is a hell of a lot more interesting (see: 11 page thread already) than a Bumblefoot interview thread to most people here.

Exactly

I can be mistaken but that wasn't a festival, was it?

You shouldn't be talking that way to the next MOD, you know that right? No disrespect involved. It would be sad to see you banned again. I really mean it.

Nowhere did I break any rules. I have no fear of an "internet forum moderator".

That doesn't matter, Axl tours as "guns n roses" and plays all the classics pretending it's the same kind of show as the old band. Most people don't give much of a fuck about guns n roses like many here do so they see "guns n roses" are coming to town. Fuck ya! Rock n roll! Welcome to the jungle!

lol, volcano's a joke.