Why did the Beatles break up?

Vincent Vega

Yeah, back then everyone blamed Yoko, but I think John and Paul just felt it was time to part.

I felt bad about it, but then Paul, Ringo, George and John continued to make music and live their lives to the fullest.

The Beatles music will live on forever and it was a magically time when they first came to the US. I'm glad I was there to see it.

Life goes on and people change.

Do you remember on the Let It Be movie/doco or whatever it was Paul & John were having an argument? They seemed to be trying to do it quietly knowing they were being filmed but they were not happy with each other.

Then we went through the fights with music - Paul's song Silly Love Songs in reference to John and John's comeback with How Do You Sleep in which the words were quite cutting.

Maybe Axl and Slash could have written songs like that, might have cleared the air a bit.

Whys everyone making out like only John and Paul were the band, that was George and Paul arguing in Let It Be not John and Paul...and it werent at all like John and Paul decided it was time, George wanted out and was more into his India stuff early on, Ringo and George actually left first.

Hate this thing people have where there was nothing to The Beatles but John and Paul, they were a proper band, indivisible, each as important as the other to the sound.

Yeah, back then everyone blamed Yoko, but I think John and Paul just felt it was time to part.

I felt bad about it, but then Paul, Ringo, George and John continued to make music and live their lives to the fullest.

The Beatles music will live on forever and it was a magically time when they first came to the US. I'm glad I was there to see it.

Do you remember on the Let It Be movie/doco or whatever it was Paul & John were having an argument? They seemed to be trying to do it quietly knowing they were being filmed but they were not happy with each other.

Then we went through the fights with music - Paul's song Silly Love Songs in reference to John and John's comeback with How Do You Sleep in which the words were quite cutting.

Maybe Axl and Slash could have written songs like that, might have cleared the air a bit.

Whys everyone making out like only John and Paul were the band, that was George and Paul arguing in Let It Be not John and Paul...and it werent at all like John and Paul decided it was time, George wanted out and was more into his India stuff early on, Ringo and George actually left first.

Hate this thing people have where there was nothing to The Beatles but John and Paul, they were a proper band, indivisible, each as important as the other to the sound.

Well Len - don't get stroppy with me!!! :lol:

I actually love George and Ringo's songs they did after the Beatles were done. Photograph, My Sweet Lord, Give Me Love........ great songs.

Yes they were all a big contribution to the band, Paul was a whinger which I can imagine (no pun intended). John had a strong personality, George seemed quiet & Ringo was just Ringo. In fact Ringo in Japanese means apple and that was the label they were on.

I actually love George and Ringo's songs they did after the Beatles were done. Photograph, My Sweet Lord, Give Me Love........ great songs.

Yes they were all a big contribution to the band, Paul was a whinger which I can imagine (no pun intended). John had a strong personality, George seemed quiet & Ringo was just Ringo. In fact Ringo in Japanese means apple and that was the label they were on.

Did that come off as stroppy? :lol: I'm sorry dearie, it really really weren't mean to! I get a lot of that around here, sorry! :lol: Paul i think was the nicest boy out of all of them, Ringo was a dodgy little character before being in The Beatles, certain hints are made in their bios and interviews without getting too into it, he came from a right shithole part of Liverpool too, Lennon and George always struck me as the most likely to tell someone to go fuck themselves, all the while dreaming of peace and transcendence :lol:

Edited by Len B'stard

Did that come off as stroppy? :lol: I'm sorry dearie, it really really weren't mean to! I get a lot of that around here, sorry! :lol: Paul i think was the nicest boy out of all of them, Ringo was a dodgy little character before being in The Beatles, certain hints are made in their bios and interviews without getting too into it, he came from a right shithole part of Liverpool too, Lennon and George always struck me as the most likely to tell someone to go fuck themselves, all the while dreaming of peace and transcendence :lol:

Nah I was just being silly - don't be sorry. Here is one of my favourite moments of Let It Be but I think it's a different version to the doco.

I also love the bit where Linda's daughter Heather hits the cymbols and Ringo makes a face at her but can't find that part.

Edited by rock4eva

I swear I once read the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak was something to do with the orchestra on The Long And Winding Road, I have a load of shit copied about it now I've looked it up again;

The album was finished a year ago, but a few months ago American record producer Phil Spector was called in by John Lennon to tidy up some of the tracks. But a few weeks ago, I was send a re-mixed version of my song The Long And Winding Road, with harps, horns, an orchestra and women's choir added. No one had asked me what I thought. I couldn't believe it. I would never have female voices on a Beatles record. The record came with a note from Allen Klein saying he thought the changes were necessary. I don't blame Phil Spector for doing it but it just goes to show that it's no good me sitting here thinking I'm in control because obviously I'm not. Anyway I've sent Klein a letter asking for some of the things to be altered, but I haven't received an answer yet.
Paul McCartney
Evening Standard, April 1970

The letter was reproduced in the Anthology book. It was addressed to Allen Klein at Apple Corps Limited, and dated 14 April 1970

Dear Sir,

In future no one will be allowed to add to or subtract from a recording of one of my songs without my permission.

I had considered orchestrating The Long And Winding Road but I had decided against it. I therefore want it altered to these specifications:-

1. Strings, horns, voices and all added noises to be reduced in volume.
2. Vocal and Beatle instrumentation to be brought up in volume.
3. Harp to be removed completely at the end of the song and original piano notes to be substituted.
4. Don't ever do it again.

Signed

Paul McCartney

c.c. Phil Spector
John Eastman

Despite Paul McCartney's protestations, Let It Be was released a month later with Phil Spector's augmentations still in place. George Martin supported his objections, claiming that the work had been done without his knowledge or involvement, and saying they were "so uncharacteristic" of The Beatles' reputation.

George Martin;

That made me angry - and it made Paul even angrier, because neither he nor I knew about it till it had been done. It happened behind our backs because it was done when Allen Klein was running John. He'd organised Phil Spector and I think George and Ringo had gone along with it. They'd actually made an arrangement with EMI and said, 'This is going to be our record.'

EMI came to me and said, 'You made this record originally but we can't have your name on it.' I asked them why not and they said: 'Well, you didn't produce the final thing.' I said, 'I produced the original and what you should do is have a credit saying: "Produced by George Martin, over-produced by Phil Spector".' They didn't think that was a good idea.

The dissolution hearing for the break-up of The Beatles' partnership took place in February 1971 at the High Court of London. One of the reasons given by McCartney for wishing to leave The Beatles was that Allen Klein's company ABKCO had arranged for The Long And Winding Road to be altered without McCartney being consulted.

Spector, for his part, was unrepentant, adopting a typically combative approach.

Phil Spector;
Paul had no problem picking up the Academy Award for the Let It Be movie soundtrack, nor did he have any problem in using my arrangement of the string and horn and choir parts when he performed it during 25 years of touring on his own. If Paul wants to get into a pissing contest about it, he's got me mixed up with someone who gives a shit.

The Long And Winding Road was released as a US single on 11 May 1970, with For You Blue as the b-side. 1.2m copies were sold in the first two days, and it was The Beatles' 20th and final number one single in America.

Edited by RandallFlagg

• 2 weeks later...

Well 10 years withholds alot of stuff that must have amounted to the decision. Many bands now-a-days take long breaks because it takes it toll recording and touring, most of the band have conflicts. That's life. I wish that he Beatles would have also gone on a hiatus and met 5 years aferwards and see what to do if anything. They made so much stuff all the time, that they must have had very little time to reflect and very little time to their-selves.

But of course, you can not argue with the conclusion they made and we just gotta be super happy that we got all that great music from them.

The thing that bothers me about this kind of question is that it always leads onto this sort of investigation of what could've happened for them to stay together and it's just like, why the difficulty in accepting that there is a certain time when things are done and like, part of being 'great' in this sense, i personally believe, is knowing when to call it a day. And they did, leaving a flawless resume behind them, job well done I'd say, people act like it's this massive tragedy but like Monsieur Lennon said 'it's only a fucking band that broke up, it's not the end of the world, if you wanna hear the music the records are always there'.

It's a bit like how people want Led Zeppelin to reunite and do another album- they called it quits when their drummer died because without that guy, it really isn't Led Zeppelin.

Would a new album from them going on 70 and with Bohnam's son on the kit just cause he is Bohnam's son really be a good thing?

I don't think so.

Obviously neither of these bands are the Beatles, but Black Sabbath are another example: they can't recapture the magic (shut up Len :lol:) of those 70's albums, even with the same lineup- now they're all pushing 70 it's time to have a go?

As a fan, personally I wished they had left it as it was.

• Like 1

What is this argument all about? The Beatles were together for just over 10 years (including Quarry Men) and released 13 masterpieces, four films, numerous stand alone singles, toured the world. What more do you expect from these people? To use Cricket terminology, 'they had a good innings'. I do not want to see a Beatles Dirty Work or Emotional Rescue. In contrast, Guns only released one good album during a similar period, and Axl spent the rest of his life eating pies. The Beatles had a good innings.

Besides, they continued releasing masterpieces,

- All Things Must Pass

- Plastic Ono

- Imagine

- Band On The Run

Just what more do you want? A shitty album with a synth pop rhythm track? The Stones put out four albums like that. A Beatles version of Undercover of the Night? Lennon in Miami Vice garb?

• Like 1

What is this argument all about? The Beatles were together for just over 10 years (including Quarry Men) and released 13 masterpieces, four films, numerous stand alone singles, toured the world. What more do you expect from these people? To use Cricket terminology, 'they had a good innings'. I do not want to see a Beatles Dirty Work or Emotional Rescue. In contrast, Guns only released one good album during a similar period, and Axl spent the rest of his life eating pies. The Beatles had a good innings.

Besides, they continued releasing masterpieces,

- All Things Must Pass

- Plastic Ono

- Imagine

- Band On The Run

Just what more do you want? A shitty album with a synth pop rhythm track? The Stones put out four albums like that. A Beatles version of Undercover of the Night? Lennon in Miami Vice garb?

Thank you, voice of reason.

From the sound of things, the members inside of the band wanted to go in different directions musically that led to internal tension, which is why the white album is the clusterfuck that it is and Abbey Road has a Lennon-heavy side and a McCartney-heavy side.

It's kinda strange that only McCartney really had a successful career outside of the Beatles (Plastic Ono Band only accomplished a couple hits) but who knows, we could have seen a reunion at some point if Lennon was still around. The two seemed to start to like each other again, but Ono to this day is still causing issues in regards to Carnival of Light.

From the sound of things, the members inside of the band wanted to go in different directions musically that led to internal tension, which is why the white album is the clusterfuck that it is and Abbey Road has a Lennon-heavy side and a McCartney-heavy side.

It's kinda strange that only McCartney really had a successful career outside of the Beatles (Plastic Ono Band only accomplished a couple hits) but who knows, we could have seen a reunion at some point if Lennon was still around. The two seemed to start to like each other again, but Ono to this day is still causing issues in regards to Carnival of Light.

George had a lot of success in the early-mid 70s. He was pretty huge actually between '70 and '73.

And then he had the huge comeback in '87

It's kinda strange that only McCartney really had a successful career outside of the Beatles (Plastic Ono Band only accomplished a couple hits)

I'm not sure I agree with that. Imagine was even more successful than Plastic Ono Band, reaching number one on both sides of the Atlantic. Additionally, with the exception of Some time in New York, every subsequent Lennon album was top ten (or just outside); Walls and Bridges was (US) 1 for instance; Double Fantasy, (US/UK) 1; even Rock n' Roll, a covers album, reached 6! In regards to singles, you are forgetting the five non-album singles (e.g. Cold Turkey and Instant Karma), most of which dented #10. Additionally, 'Imagine' was (US) 3; 'Whatever Gets You Through the Night', (US) 1; 'Starting Over', (US/UK) 1.

I would say John's career was commercially, almost on par with Paul's with the one caveat that Paul had considerably more US #1 singles during Lennon's lifetime. Album wise, John was just behind Paul. You also have to remember that Lennon was basically retired, 1975-1980, which skewers the figures in Paul's favour.

• Like 1

whoops, forgot to check back here :lol:

George had a lot of success in the early-mid 70s. He was pretty huge actually between '70 and '73.

That's just it, Harrison went for a few years post-Beatles with the Bangladesh concert and a tour supporting Material World, then nothing interesting really happened until he joined Traveling Mulbury's several years later..lots of potential, but only a couple good albums came from him

I'm not sure I agree with that. Imagine was even more successful than Plastic Ono Band, reaching number one on both sides of the Atlantic. Additionally, with the exception of Some time in New York, every subsequent Lennon album was top ten (or just outside); Walls and Bridges was (US) 1 for instance; Double Fantasy, (US/UK) 1; even Rock n' Roll, a covers album, reached 6! In regards to singles, you are forgetting the five non-album singles (e.g. Cold Turkey and Instant Karma), most of which dented #10. Additionally, 'Imagine' was (US) 3; 'Whatever Gets You Through the Night', (US) 1; 'Starting Over', (US/UK) 1.

I would say John's career was commercially, almost on par with Paul's with the one caveat that Paul had considerably more US #1 singles during Lennon's lifetime. Album wise, John was just behind Paul. You also have to remember that Lennon was basically retired, 1975-1980, which skewers the figures in Paul's favour.

Lennon's a more gimmicky acquired taste, with his activism affecting his songwriting and lyricism. Albums like Imagine and Double Fantasy went big again following his death, but McCartney had a bit more going for him throughout the same time period. But I suppose that's only a matter of opinion.. :P

Olivia was the one who blocked Carnival of Light.

White Album isn't a clusterfuck, they took a long time to work on it.

From what I've read, both the Lennon and Harrison camps are against releasing it while McCartney's trying to get it out there. I'm sure there's several other demos and outtakes out there, but that track seems to be the one with the most legacy; White Album is a general mess of ideas and directions, and only a few select tracks from both LP's are worthwhile

In my opinion, The Beatles never really fully 'broke up' in a sense until 1974, which is the year the partnership was dissolved.

I mean, you have the song "I'm The Greatest" written by John, with John, Ringo and George all performing on it in '73, and each including Paul making contributions to Ringo's album separately as well. You have George helping Ringo to write most of the songs on that record. With I'm The Greatest, you have more Beatles on a "non-Beatles" track, than there were on many official Beatles tracks. You have George working as John's lead guitarist on Imagine. In GN'R terms, that's basically like having Slash on Chinese Democracy.

whoops, forgot to check back here :lol:

That's just it, Harrison went for a few years post-Beatles with the Bangladesh concert and a tour supporting Material World, then nothing interesting really happened until he joined Traveling Mulbury's several years later..lots of potential, but only a couple good albums came from him

Lennon's a more gimmicky acquired taste, with his activism affecting his songwriting and lyricism. Albums like Imagine and Double Fantasy went big again following his death, but McCartney had a bit more going for him throughout the same time period. But I suppose that's only a matter of opinion.. :P

They were successes before his death. Imagine (1971) spent three weeks at #1 on release. McCartney had yet to achieve a transatlantic number one album at this stage (and was not to do so, until 1973's Band on the Run). Those singles charted when they were originally released, i.e. before Lennon's death.

In my opinion, The Beatles never really fully 'broke up' in a sense until 1974, which is the year the partnership was dissolved.

I mean, you have the song "I'm The Greatest" written by John, with John, Ringo and George all performing on it in '73, and each including Paul making contributions to Ringo's album separately as well. You have George helping Ringo to write most of the songs on that record. With I'm The Greatest, you have more Beatles on a "non-Beatles" track, than there were on many official Beatles tracks. You have George working as John's lead guitarist on Imagine. In GN'R terms, that's basically like having Slash on Chinese Democracy.

Breaking up means not being a functioning unit anymore, not swearing on your Grandmas soul to never play music in the same room with any one of three other guys anymore.

Breaking up means not being a functioning unit anymore, not swearing on your Grandmas soul to never play music in the same room with any one of three other guys anymore.

Well in the sense of not being a functioning unified unit I'd say they stopped then sometime before the White Album. That and every Beatles album after was basically solo stuff just released under "The Beatles" brand.

Why does everyone have such difficulty with where the full stop is with The Beatles? Why does it have to be 'well really they didn't share the same cutlery during The White Album so, concievably, you could make a case...' or 'well McCartney was once brushed pass George Harrison when he was out getting his favorite sandwich down the local cafe in between sitar lessons and on his way to the studio in 1972 so, really and truly speaking...' it's like AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, shut up! :lol: