Rock in Rio 2001

GeetarMikey

I love it for the absolute legend of it all.............it was simply amazing to have my band back and to really see what Axl looked like, but compaired to rock AM ring and download 5 years later there is no contest, they were miles better in 06 and they are miles better now.

But 01 was a very important part of GNR history, so yeah i love it for the legend.

And yes, the freakshow and 'ok nevermind' are a massive part of that!!

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

One of the most mediocre concerts Axl has ever done. It was absolutely terrible.

No offense but you're negative about everything that GN'R did after 1993.

No. I like a very few songs on CD. Madagascar for example. I think their concerts are good in general. They suck in every possible way compared to the real band though.

On topic: The Blues and Madagascar was really good at this concert. That was the only good thing about it though.

Edited by Satanisk_Slakt

Guest Broskirose

Robins backing vocals on songs like Brownstone and Cd are just amazing.

Seriously, I'm straighter than ruler but I'd fuck him just because he's such a god.

Edited by Broskirose

So let me get this straight. Rio 2001, which featured a worse sounding band and Axl than Rio 2011, is somehow considered a classic show while 2011 is the worst Guns show of all time?

The lack of any form of common sense here is amazing.

this.

I know I'll get crucified upside down hanging from a volcano for saying this here but I prefer Rock Am Ring 2006 :xmasssanta:

This is the best New-GNR concert overall because:

-Axl's voice is on fire

-Axl's physical performance is great

-Great proshot video/sound

-Crowd rules

Basically, if I had to show a non-fan one GNR concert from post-2000, it would be Rock am Ring.

"THAT GUY RIGHT THERE!"

:lol:

Unforgettable! I was there and i think it was the last time we see Axl Rose fresh with you long natural hair without jackets, hats and everything didn't lets us see clean today, does you know?

I like very much RIR 2 1991 too... i watched on tv to remember sometimes i see SCOM on youtube ,for me it was the most beautiful presentation of this song i ever seen in my life.

Just watched a bit of the RIR 2001 concert and I must say, you can really feel the energy and power the new band at the time had. Sure it's a bit ropey in places and Axl's voice isn't the best it's ever been, but it really seemed like a brilliant fresh start at the time. They even do Think About You, which was a big surprise I'd forgotten!

Just a quick thought anyway, was a pleasure to revisit it after ages of not seeing it

robin finck makes rock in rio 2001 fuckin' AWESOME

So let me get this straight. Rio 2001, which featured a worse sounding band and Axl than Rio 2011, is somehow considered a classic show while 2011 is the worst Guns show of all time?

this.

I just said I love the energy and occasion of the whole thing. I said it was a bit ropey, but there are some amazing moments in there.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

This was the worst GNR concert I've ever seen. It was the only time I ever felt like I could stop being a fan of the band. Way too weird for my taste. It was a freakshow on stage.

I would argue that RIR from last year was even worse. His voice was just as shitty, he was in a terrible mood, most likely on drugs,, it was raining a lot and Axl couldn't move around, all of the band except from DJ Ashba did several mistakes and Axl messed up November Rain terribly. The only things I can think of that was better at this concert was Ashba's solo (which I really liked actually) and that Estranged was played. He really sang Estranged good too. Way better than most other songs, where he had the Mickey Mouse voice.

This was the worst GNR concert I've ever seen. It was the only time I ever felt like I could stop being a fan of the band. Way too weird for my taste. It was a freakshow on stage.

I would argue that RIR from last year was even worse. His voice was just as shitty, he was in a terrible mood, most likely on drugs,, it was raining a lot and Axl couldn't move around, all of the band except from DJ Ashba did several mistakes and Axl messed up November Rain terribly. The only things I can think of that was better at this concert was Ashba's solo (which I really liked actually) and that Estranged was played. He really sang Estranged good too. Way better than most other songs, where he had the Mickey Mouse voice.

That's two more positive things than Rio 2001. 2011 was bad too, but not the same kind of bad. I thought Axl was completely done in 2001. Nothing was right about that concert. It was the worst in every single way possible for a GNR live show. Everyone in the band looked ridiculous.

Well, you see, some people prefer energy and passion at a rock show instead of technical perfection. It's a common theme in Rock n Roll. Also, Axl sounding like shit in '11 ruined the whole Rio experience and basically negated however good the band sounded.

Axl's high voice in '01 at Rio was energy and passion, not a yelping Mickey Mouse or drowning dog sound. If you dont like his voice at Rio '01 on WTTJ, RQ or Michelle, then I have no idea how you like 3/4 of Chi Dem the album.

RIR '01 - Axl running, screaming his ass off like a wild banshee, reclaiming his throne, owning the crowd, showing emotion. It was like the return of the prodigal son/ rock god. Brain and BH unleashing something music rarely sees. Tommy and Robin pumped up. New songs. Doesnt seem contrived at all. They had big shoes to fill and they did it.

RIR '11 - Axl didnt look prepared, no interaction, let the rain ruin everything, Mickey Mouse all day; Ron putting a fucking jedi helmet on and cant get it off. Band sounds technically great but every note is there because Axl said it should be. Forgot NR lyrics, looked fucked up. No new songs. A big letdown which continues a year later in the way Axl milks the crowd's anticipation for all its worth and yet doesnt deliver anything new. If he wants to be Roger Waters then he should disappear again. He cant have it both ways. I wasnt as frustrated with GNR in '03-'08 as I am now.

You could take every solo or band jam played at every new GNR concert and multiple it by 10 and Robin playing "Sossego" would still beat it.

(Buckethead's stuff not included).

robin rocked rio 3 singing sossego live 4 the first time at a guns n roses concert in front of the whole world

I can remember downloading the MP3s of this show from Napster and thinking it was an audience recording. It was only years later when I saw the videos that I realized that this was the soundboard audio. Whoever was behind that mixing board, I hope they don't have a job anymore. Except the mix also sucked at RIR '06 and '11, so it's probably the same guy.

There are tons of 2006 shows better than Rock am Ring.

just because it was broadcasted doesn't mean that it's the the best ever.

Download, NovaRock, LA 2006, Brisbane 2007...

This. Even with the old band, people always tend to prefer the proshot/soundboard shows. Better recording does not mean better performance.

There are tons of 2006 shows better than Rock am Ring.

just because it was broadcasted doesn't mean that it's the the best ever.

Download, NovaRock, LA 2006, Brisbane 2007...

This. Even with the old band, people always tend to prefer the proshot/soundboard shows. Better recording does not mean better performance.

But if you want to have *one* show for safekeeping to represent that era of GNR, Rock am Ring is it.

Perfect sound, perfect video, awesome performance

Yep I agree w/ Voodoo.

There's a lot of great shows the band played in 2002 where Axl sounds great but people never talk about them.

England was good, Boston was great, NYC was pretty great too if I remember correctly.

Rock Am Ring, despite having the best Jungle and Nightrain in (then) recent memory is a by-and-large, awful vocal performance by Axl.