Rock in Rio 2001

GeetarMikey

There's a lot of great shows the band played in 2002 where Axl sounds great but people never talk about them.

England was good, Boston was great, NYC was pretty great too if I remember correctly.

Rock Am Ring, despite having the best Jungle and Nightrain in (then) recent memory is a by-and-large, awful vocal performance by Axl.

What the fuck?

Find me a better live "Knocking on Heaven's Door", "Better" or "IRS" than Rock am Ring.

The whole show smoked.

Axl's voice in 2002 was shit - you're just pimping the audience recordings over the soundboards because you can't tell exactly how bad Axl sounds with them. All the Buckethead fans do this.

"Yeah his voice sucked, but he held the scream in "Live and Let Die" for SO LONG!!!!!"

Who cares?

I saw everything from 2002. I saw them live in 2002. Axl's voice was never very good. He had a couple of good moments here and there, but never even a full good song vocally. Nothing he did in 2002 even compares to 2006. Especially Rock Am Ring, which was a very good show.

So let me get this straight. Rio 2001, which featured a worse sounding band and Axl than Rio 2011, is somehow considered a classic show while 2011 is the worst Guns show of all time?

The lack of any form of common sense here is amazing.

Well, you see, some people prefer energy and passion at a rock show instead of technical perfection. It's a common theme in Rock n Roll. Also, Axl sounding like shit in '11 ruined the whole Rio experience and basically negated however good the band sounded.

Axl's high voice in '01 at Rio was energy and passion, not a yelping Mickey Mouse or drowning dog sound. If you dont like his voice at Rio '01 on WTTJ, RQ or Michelle, then I have no idea how you like 3/4 of Chi Dem the album.

RIR '01 - Axl running, screaming his ass off like a wild banshee, reclaiming his throne, owning the crowd, showing emotion. It was like the return of the prodigal son/ rock god. Brain and BH unleashing something music rarely sees. Tommy and Robin pumped up. New songs. Doesnt seem contrived at all. They had big shoes to fill and they did it.

RIR '11 - Axl didnt look prepared, no interaction, let the rain ruin everything, Mickey Mouse all day; Ron putting a fucking jedi helmet on and cant get it off. Band sounds technically great but every note is there because Axl said it should be. Forgot NR lyrics, looked fucked up. No new songs. A big letdown which continues a year later in the way Axl milks the crowd's anticipation for all its worth and yet doesnt deliver anything new. If he wants to be Roger Waters then he should disappear again. He cant have it both ways. I wasnt as frustrated with GNR in '03-'08 as I am now.

That's cool, I just find them both to be very embarrassing performances. I heard Rio 01 before I saw it and I really questioned why he even came back at the time. Rio 11 wasn't any better, but at least I had been through it before and knew it was temporary. The way that he's performing now shows that I was right.

I would love for new music to be played, but the fact that it's not wouldn't prevent me from going to a show. It's because of the released music that I'm a fan anyway.

There are tons of 2006 shows better than Rock am Ring.

just because it was broadcasted doesn't mean that it's the the best ever.

Download, NovaRock, LA 2006, Brisbane 2007...

This. Even with the old band, people always tend to prefer the proshot/soundboard shows. Better recording does not mean better performance.

the novarock show is probably one of my top 5 gnr shows i used to have the complete show but lost it when my computer died :(

Love the ambition and mystery surrounding that performance. It was kinda like a promise. Back then, you could see Axl wanted to take that band to the limit, trying not to be negative now but... he doesn't seem to be that ambitious nowadays. The only things I don't like about that performance is GnR's look, which was ridiculous, and how they made Chris Pitman so loud in the mix. Those synth effects on SCOM and YCBM really sucked.

this

Rio 2001 is one of the few shows where Axl's "mickey mouse" voice doesn't bug me (the House of Blues show is the other). At first I was a bit taken aback by how different Axl sounded and how the band sounded (more electronic) but now I have grown to like it. Axl looked awesome too, he looked much more like "classic Axl" compared to when he had braids

Rio 2001 is one of the few shows where Axl's "mickey mouse" voice doesn't bug me (the House of Blues show is the other). At first I was a bit taken aback by how different Axl sounded and how the band sounded (more electronic) but now I have grown to like it. Axl looked awesome too, he looked much more like "classic Axl" compared to when he had braids

yeah axl looked like axl from the 90s at rio it was awesome rock3 rock3

There's a lot of great shows the band played in 2002 where Axl sounds great but people never talk about them.

England was good, Boston was great, NYC was pretty great too if I remember correctly.

Rock Am Ring, despite having the best Jungle and Nightrain in (then) recent memory is a by-and-large, awful vocal performance by Axl.

What the fuck?

Find me a better live "Knocking on Heaven's Door", "Better" or "IRS" than Rock am Ring.

The whole show smoked.

Axl's voice in 2002 was shit - you're just pimping the audience recordings over the soundboards because you can't tell exactly how bad Axl sounds with them. All the Buckethead fans do this.

"Yeah his voice sucked, but he held the scream in "Live and Let Die" for SO LONG!!!!!"

Who cares?

Are you an adult? Because most adults I know can have a conversation with other adults without resorting to aggressive accusations and your post confused me.

As far as the content of your response: I agree that performance of "IRS" is solid. Flawed but solid.

The only part about Knockin that I remember is the audience part which yes is very good.

You didn't mention Live And Let Die which i think is better than both of those.

"Better" is absolutely horrible though. He's out of breath, misses verses, and sounds like a cat in heat.

Same thing with ISE and Brownstone. Dreadful. He's off key and pitchy for all of The Blues.

Good gig but I think there are better in 06.

So let me get this straight. Rio 2001, which featured a worse sounding band and Axl than Rio 2011, is somehow considered a classic show while 2011 is the worst Guns show of all time?

this

This concert is the worst GNR show ever.

Axl sounds pure crap and the band isn't tight at all.

Rio 2011 is easily the worst GNR show ever: no new song (except if you consider Estranged a new song.. still it was a nice surprise), worst Axl vocals ever, worst Axl's shape ever, rain, unforgiveable mistake on November Rain, fuck up on Patience, Axl sulking... it was fucking terrible.

Except for Axl's bad voice in 2001 (easily forgiveable because no live show in 7 years), the show was glorious, new songs, great rants, moving moment with Beta, Axl in quite good shape, band on fire, Buckethead & Robin.. Waaaay better than 2011.

this

Sometimes being overpracticed leads to the music becoming sterile.

Rio 2001 - band had only been rehearsing for a month or two before their first performance.

Rock am Ring - Bumblefoot had only been with the band like a month and they were all learning to gel with each other.

Both time periods had a sense of unpredictability about them - everyone was trying out new shit.

I think Axl tweeted that the 2011 tour was the smoothest tour they've ever done. That doesn't necessarily translate to exciting shows, though.

GNR should be about unpredictability and a sense of chaos.

I can remember downloading the MP3s of this show from Napster and thinking it was an audience recording. It was only years later when I saw the videos that I realized that this was the soundboard audio. Whoever was behind that mixing board, I hope they don't have a job anymore. Except the mix also sucked at RIR '06 and '11, so it's probably the same guy.

RIO is a fucked up festival at all!

this

Rio 2001 - band had only been rehearsing for a month or two before their first performance.

Rock am Ring - Bumblefoot had only been with the band like a month and they were all learning to gel with each other.

Both time periods had a sense of unpredictability about them - everyone was trying out new shit.

I think Axl tweeted that the 2011 tour was the smoothest tour they've ever done. That doesn't necessarily translate to exciting shows, though.

Rio 2001 valid points, but still shit.

Before the 2006 Rock am Ring show, i seen them with BBF at that tour. The band much tighter than the 2001 lineup... Unfortunately the crowd doesn't like BBF (y'know they yelling Slash and stuff)

and yeah RIR 2011 is a big fiasco (except Estranged)

Yes. But those days are gone now. Even the 2001, 2002 line-ups has got the chaos factor (maybe the 2006 tour), but since the album is released, no unpredictability and a sense of chaos...

Yeah, but in 2001 they haven't really practiced the catalog... Unprofessionalism is the word.

I think you think the raw sounds and chaos and stuff, but sometimes sterile, proper music performance is better.

Edited by Crash Diet

this

Rio 2001 valid points, but still shit.

Before the 2006 Rock am Ring show, i seen them with BBF at that tour. The band much tighter than the 2001 lineup... Unfortunately the crowd doesn't like BBF (y'know they yelling Slash and stuff)

and yeah RIR 2011 is a big fiasco (except Estranged)

Yes. But those days are gone now. Even the 2001, 2002 line-ups has got the chaos factor (maybe the 2006 tour), but since the album is released, no unpredictability and a sense of chaos...

2001 had it because unless you had the bootleg of Rio, you had no idea what was going on with the band.

I was first exposed to GNR with the 2002 VMA's, which looking back was a shit performance, but the excitement behind it made me look into the band and get the Rio DVD from eBay.

My first reaction: "this guy from 2001 cannot be the same guy from 2002 - my god".

The attendance of the 2002 shows post-VMA's makes me think people saw Axl on MTV and thought "hell no, not supporting that".

Then Axl crawled back into his hole before re-emerging in 2006 and getting people psyched for the album again. He looked/sounded better than 01-02, and the freakshow of Buckethead and Robin in face paint was gone. They looked like a real band and sounded good.

Album dropped - it didn't set the world on fire like it was supposed to.

I like DJ and the 2009-2010 tour was great, but it was more Axl getting out of his funk post-CD and proving to himself more than anyone that he could still perform.

Then a whole lot of nothing happened and the current tour is leading to....probably not another album anytime soon.

It's hard to get excited like we were in 2006.

Edited by Freddie Mercury's Ghost

Rio 2011 is easily the worst GNR show ever: no new song (except if you consider Estranged a new song.. still it was a nice surprise), worst Axl vocals ever, worst Axl's shape ever, rain, unforgiveable mistake on November Rain, fuck up on Patience, Axl sulking... it was fucking terrible.

Except for Axl's bad voice in 2001 (easily forgiveable because no live show in 7 years), the show was glorious, new songs, great rants, moving moment with Beta, Axl in quite good shape, band on fire, Buckethead & Robin.. Waaaay better than 2011.

I find them to be pretty much equal, but I give the nod to 2011 because it had a few moments where Axl sounded decent and I knew that Axl could regain his voice again. In 2001, I definitely wasn't sure of that.

The best thing about RIR 2001 was the the Nightrain solo. Buckethead and Brain absolutely crushed it

Highlights (no particular order)

Defiantly loved Buckets contribution to Nightrain...

LALD screams were great too.

Think About You

Axls take on the Internet

I say, "fuck that"

Chinese Democracy

On the drums ....Brain

Ok never mind(The Blues)

Get that guy outta here

Sossego

Silkworms

Jungle intro

Over here we have Mr. Buckethead

Buckets solos

My Michelle intro + song

Madagascar

You could be mine intro fucked up then magically fixed

Betas "transolation"

The show was epic bc it was a tremendous step forward mainly for Axl and the fans.

Edited by wasteofammo

What the fuck?

Better and IRS from Los Angeles 2006, last show of that tour:

I actually liked IRS better from the night before, but I can't find it anymore on YouTube. And there's the 2007 audio boots, but I'm sticking to the videos here.

KOHD I didn't bother looking for, I don't care about that song.

"Better" is absolutely horrible though. He's out of breath, misses verses, and sounds like a cat in heat.

Not only that, but the band messed up the comeback after the break and the drum machine does not match at all the drums and overall pace of the song when they start the "na na na" parts at the ending. Probably something wrong with Brain, you can hear he clearly looking pissed and he actually stops playing some stuff during the song.

Its all subjective, some people like RIR, some like Rock AM, some like 'x'. I personally thought KOTH @ Rock Am Ring was the best perfomance of KOTH live ever vocally for Axl. When he and the audience were bouncing the chorus off each other, they went into the reggae bit but that fourth time when Axl let out that scream, holy shit I had chills, it was fuckin perfect.

starts @ 1:05 this is the shitty youtube one theres others

Literally perfect imo

Edited by californiaz06

(1st of all to clarify: i like RIR 2001 very much!)

But It is very very very funny to see this.

Back in 2001 (and who already was a GNR fan @ that time can remember), the Rio 2001 performance was talked to be a catastrophy. First time Axl performed without voice and out of shape, new (and unknown) members changing Slash's solos, new songs, and mainly Slash's abscence.

Now 11 years later, this gig is talked to be amazing, historic and epic.

Edited by Todo Poderoso Timão