Set List

Instead of flooding event update threads with comments regarding the set list I figured it would be an idea to place them here.

It is a real mood killer to have so much critical debate in threads where people are either updating other fans or talking about what a great time they had. They should be able to enjoy it. Equally it is important for everybody to have their say on the set list regardless of what that say is.

So feel free to unload it here. Subs will be pinning this thread in due course.

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Instead of flooding event update threads with comments regarding the set list I figured it would be an idea to place them here.

It is a real mood killer to have so much critical debate in threads where people are either updating other fans or talking about what a great time they had. They should be able to enjoy it. Equally it is important for everybody to have their say on the set list regardless of what that say is.

So feel free to unload it here. Subs will be pinning this thread in due course.

Brilliant mate, great thread - This is an attempt (the polite version boys and girls) at saying if you've got GENERAL moans and growns about the set lists, post them here. It sucks the enthusiam out of the concert threads when the same people say the same things. If we feel they are genuine concerns/opinions by genuine posters in the concert threads we may leave them in, or tranfer them across to here. Thanks guys and please be sensible and think of others.

Thank you :)

my setlist complaint and recommendation is axl should play more new "unheard" guns n roses songs from upcoming chinese democracy releases instead of classic hits from appetite and illusions

Also a little more variety from night to night would be good. Most other big bands I've seen seem to mix it up a little more than GNR do. It's not like GNR haven't created enough strong songs to have a much larger flexible setlist. You could have most of Appetite, a handful from Lies, and a good dozen at least from the Illusions, plus the Chinese era songs, maybe 1/2 brand new songs. So a total of around 40+ to choose from.

If you accept that Jungle, Sweet Child, November Rain, Nightrain, You Could Be Mine, Paradise City- and say- Brownstone and Knockin' (because they're easy songs to sing) are staples on the setlist night in/night out- that allows for around 60% of the setlist to be changed up depending on what the band feel. I know, I know we'll have people here saying but people want to hear the hits but songs like You're Crazy, My Michelle, Used to Love Her, Yesterdays etc. they're still well loved GNR songs that the crowd would love but they never seem to get played/or not even on the setlist options.

So yes, in a dream world- new material, more variety :thumbsup:

Edited by Guest

I think it's fine if they have a general set list that stays the same. They should just have a rotation slot (or a few of them) where they can mix it up from night to night.

Say the general set list is something like this:

1. Chinese Democracy

2. Welcome to the Jungle

3. It's So Easy

4. Mr. Brownstone

5. Option

6. Shackler's Revenge

7. Rocket Queen

8. Option

And so on, maybe to about 25 songs or whatever. At the end of the set list have a list of songs under options and those can be subbed in and out regularly, maybe even from show to show.

Every show would be roughly the same length then so it's fair to all, and there'd be enough changing in and out to give us something new to discuss. Keep the solos to give Axl a break and plan the overall set list to fit Axl's vocals (in other words, don't have three hard to sing songs in a row).

my setlist complaint and recommendation is axl should play more new "unheard" guns n roses songs from upcoming chinese democracy releases instead of classic hits from appetite and illusions

Also a little more variety from night to night would be good. Most other big bands I've seen seem to mix it up a little more than GNR do. It's not like GNR haven't created enough strong songs to have a much larger flexible setlist. You could have most of Appetite, a handful from Lies, and a good dozen at least from the Illusions, plus the Chinese era songs, maybe 1/2 brand new songs. So a total of around 40+ to choose from.

If you accept that Jungle, Sweet Child, November Rain, Nightrain, You Could Be Mine, Paradise City- and say- Brownstone and Knockin' (because they're easy songs to sing) are staples on the setlist night in/night out- that allows for around 60% of the setlist to be changed up depending on what the band feel. I know, I know we'll have people here saying but people want to hear the hits but songs like You're Crazy, My Michelle, Used to Love Her, Yesterdays etc. they're still well loved GNR songs that the crowd would love but they never seem to get played/or not even on the setlist options.

i agree. the setlist should have variety. a little new songs variety. classic hits don't need to dominate. make a balance. bust out new songs. take a chance

i agree. the setlist should have variety. a little new songs variety. classic hits don't need to dominate. make a balance. bust out new songs. take a chance

There's no denying the band put on a great, great show but it's almost just a little stagnant really. Maybe this criticism isn't particularly valid because for your average concert-goer he doesn't know what the full setlist will be like and in what order, but to me it's almost as if... the show is a little over-produced. Overly-polished. Change things up, be more spontaneous with the choice and flow of songs, as well as the jams/solo spots. We understand that Axl needs a little breather from time to time, and also there are some songs which are perhaps just a little too difficult vocally for him to tackle at 50 (hence why I never expect to hear Coma or Locomotive live again, nor Prostitute probably) but there's still at least a catalogue of 40 songs that could be picked from and are considered by most fans to be very strong quality material. As long as each night, people get to hear Jungle, Paradise, Sweet Child, NR and a few other classic staples, I don't see why they couldn't change it up a little more.

The new band sound great and are a treat to see live, but the old band were better because of their spontenaeity and unbridled energy.

The setlist argument is totally moot for anybody going to see a show unless they go to more than one. Even then you'd be pissed if you missed Estranged, Civil War, SCOM etc because Axl had played them the night before and was mixing things up for the sake of varying the set. The only frustration I have is that I really want to hear new music so if I bitch about the set it's cos I've already heard every song in it. :shrugs:

There's no denying the band put on a great, great show but it's almost just a little stagnant really. Maybe this criticism isn't particularly valid because for your average concert-goer he doesn't know what the full setlist will be like and in what order, but to me it's almost as if... the show is a little over-produced. Overly-polished. Change things up, be more spontaneous with the choice and flow of songs, as well as the jams/solo spots. We understand that Axl needs a little breather from time to time, and also there are some songs which are perhaps just a little too difficult vocally for him to tackle at 50 (hence why I never expect to hear Coma or Locomotive live again, nor Prostitute probably) but there's still at least a catalogue of 40 songs that could be picked from and are considered by most fans to be very strong quality material. As long as each night, people get to hear Jungle, Paradise, Sweet Child, NR and a few other classic staples, I don't see why they couldn't change it up a little more.

The new band sound great and are a treat to see live, but the old band were better because of their spontaneity and unbridled energy.

80's/90's live guns n roses band did have spontaniety and unbridled energy. not afraid 2 play new songs in front of the loyal and faithful masses from around the world. this is what 2012 guns n roses live bands. the spontaneity and energy to play a whole bunch new songs every night l

This just in, I couldn't enjoy myself last night at the show because someone 4000 miles away is annoyed they played Madagascar instead of There Was A Time. rofl-lol.gif

Pfft I'm only 350 miles away :fuckyou::P

Just because someone isn't at one particular concert doesn't mean they haven't been to another, or or a dozen others, and it certainly doesn't mean they can't verbalize an opinion on it. I think it's a testament to the fan base and their support of this band that they even care at all what is played at a show they aren't at. When the band actually does something different from the usual, like Estranged when they first played it, or TWAT several nights ago, the threads blew up and a lot of people were excited. Hoping for something different or new in the set list shouldn't be perceived as a negative all the time.

is there any way in the anything goes section that we can get a pinned thread for people who want to review movies they haven't seen?

Hahahahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaahahaaha!

I see what you did there! :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol:

Berk! <_<

is there any way in the anything goes section that we can get a pinned thread for people who want to review movies they haven't seen?

How about if they watched the DVD of that movie at home instead of going to the actual movie theater? Can they offer a review then? :rolleyes:

How about if they watched the DVD of that movie at home instead of going to the actual movie theater? Can they offer a review then? :rolleyes:

It's kind of like saying you can't review the movie because you saw it at home on your TV instead of the movie screen at the theater. You're watching the same thing, but according to some because you don't have the theater sound system and didn't pay for the ticket you are unable to have an opinion on the show you watched on your screen at home for free.

You've given your opinions on GN'R history with erroneous and unfounded claims. Either you'd be just as ignorant not to read supporting facts or you intentionally give a false impression despite the facts.

I've seen Buckethead twice and the second time was kind of disappointment because he played the same staples as the last time despite the breadth of work he has. I've never been to a Nu-GNR show but I can understand how fans would be disappointed in the lack of variety.

Edited by grigori

It's kind of like saying you can't review the movie because you saw it at home on your TV instead of the movie screen at the theater. You're watching the same thing, but according to some because you don't have the theater sound system and didn't pay for the ticket you are unable to have an opinion on the show you watched on your screen at home for free.

Exactly my point! :thumbsup:

You are debating the set list and even the merits of who should judge a shows set list. That was the point of the thread. Not to only encourage debate between people at a specific show.

I by no means was trying to decide who should talk about the set list, bad idea I guess :lol:

Edited by GET OFF AXLS BACK

ANY change would do for me.

they could play the same songs but totally change the running order from night to night

so we don't know,with certainty,what comes next.

make it a little exciting.they could start with it's so easy like in the 80s on the AFD tour.

then play street of dreams followed by estranged.it's sad that we ask so little of this band.

that the board explodes when they add an old song(TWAT in Dublin).

i guess we just have to accept that Axl isn't interested in being creative anymore.that he's just going through the motions for money.

like a whore.CD was probably his famous last words.