Set List

Just because someone isn't at one particular concert doesn't mean they haven't been to another, or or a dozen others, and it certainly doesn't mean they can't verbalize an opinion on it. I think it's a testament to the fan base and their support of this band that they even care at all what is played at a show they aren't at. When the band actually does something different from the usual, like Estranged when they first played it, or TWAT several nights ago, the threads blew up and a lot of people were excited. Hoping for something different or new in the set list shouldn't be perceived as a negative all the time.

this

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is there any way in the anything goes section that we can get a pinned thread for people who want to review movies they haven't seen?

But many of us have seen the band, several times, and its nice to have a change in the set here and there. Nobody can deny that.

STATISTICS:

Here's how it breaks down:

Strip all of the filler solos/jams out of the set and GN'R plays about 25 songs a night.

They typically play 6 songs from Chinese which = 24% of the setlist.

They typically play 7 songs from Appetite which = 28% of the setlist.

They typically play 7 songs from Use Your Illusion I & II = 24% of the setlist.

(That's 3 songs from UYI I and 4 songs from UYI II).

Overall, it's 54% of old GNR material vs. 46% of new GNR material.

COMPARISONS:

Last time I saw the Stones they played 24% of material off of their latest album (5 songs of 21 songs) which is comparable to GN'R. However, they shuffled songs around every night from different albums and eras.

I saw the show earlier on the leg that was totally different than it was later in the leg. Part of that was due to audience feedback on songs from the new album.

When Mick needed a break, Keith played some of his stuff. Granted it was full songs with the band and actually stuff the fans gave a shit about.

They openers and closers were always the same as was a majority of the setlist. But there was room for change (2-4 song variance) and the order was never the same.

MY THOUGHTS:

Personally -- I would like it if they removed 80% of the solos/jams, "Knockin' On Heaven's Door", and "Live and Let Die" from the setlist forever.

Literally never play them ever again. Ever. Under any circumstances.

I'd also like to see them take "It's So Easy", "Mr. Brownstone", and "Rocket Queen" off as permanent fixtures of the set.

Play them on occasion but not as monoliths in the set. If you play Jungle, Sweet Child, Nightrain, and Paradise then the old fans will still come.

The band will never play new material until the next album is out (lol) so you might as well quit hoping.

What you can do however, is hope that they come up with a more creative, flexible setlist. They did this some on the UCAP tour, which was good.

I think why people clamor for a new album so much is because GN'R only has so many songs to work with.

Edited by Brodie

People complain about the setlist because they hope when the band shows up in their town again they will play a different show than the last time they saw them. It's not that hard to understand.

*Also the UYI tour had a lot of variety and we have all watched the bootlegs to death and loved them.

Just because someone isn't at one particular concert doesn't mean they haven't been to another

Hahahahahah . . . so why would I want to read their thoughts on the show they DIDN'T go to instead of the one they DID go to?!?!?!?

Because every show for the last decade has been the same fucking thing.

MSL, I used to be a big supporter of you during your "darker" days, but after reading all the douchebag shit you're been spewing for the last few weeks, I've lost just about all of my respect for you. It's one thing to have an opinion, but you act like your opinion is the only valid one. I read through these forums, and you're constantly just arguing with everyone about how you're right and everyone else is wrong. You and iftheworld are the two most annoying cupcakes on these forums, and I hope you are both banned soon. :fuckyou:

I went to several shows in the last six months. Here are the songs I saw played recently that weren't played when I went to the US tour kickoff in 2006:

SORRY

ESTRANGED

RIFF RAFF

THIS I LOVE

SHACKLER'S REVENGE

MY GENERATION

ROCKET QUEEN

DON'T CRY

WHOLE LOTTA ROSIE

MADAGASCAR

YOU'RE CRAZY

USED TO LOVE HER

MOTIVATION

CIVIL WAR

How is that possible if "every show for the last decade has been the same fucking thing" ?

oh man,defending the setlist,what's up with yourself and iftheworld?what inspires this blind loyalism?what does Axl do for you that warrants this behaviour?

I hope you're banned soon, again, so that there are more space on this forum for people like MSL and iftheworld.

not likely to happen. i was banned because something I said personally offended gunsguy - and it wasn't even directed at him. :rolleyes: I wasn't banned for trolling or spamming the board or whatever else people do to get banned. gunsguy wasn't even a mod and shouldn't have had the power to ban people in the first place.

oh man,defending the setlist,what's up with yourself and iftheworld?what inspires this blind loyalism?what does Axl do for you that warrants this behaviour?

Why are you getting upset that facts were posted that disproved a falsehood?

well,I asked a question and got one back.it's all good.your facts does not disprove that Axl more or less plays the same set setlist

night after night after night.the one that starts with CD and WTTJ,do you know what I'm saying?minor changes here and there over a decade long

tour does not change the reality of the situation.

I went to several shows in the last six months. Here are the songs I saw played recently that weren't played when I went to the US tour kickoff in 2006:

SORRY

ESTRANGED

RIFF RAFF

THIS I LOVE

SHACKLER'S REVENGE

MY GENERATION

ROCKET QUEEN

DON'T CRY

WHOLE LOTTA ROSIE

MADAGASCAR

YOU'RE CRAZY

USED TO LOVE HER

MOTIVATION

CIVIL WAR

How is that possible if "every show for the last decade has been the same fucking thing" ?

MSL, that small handful of songs is just a fraction of the setlist though. On top of that, even with those songs, it's still that same boring setlist night after night after night. You may like the setlist, but it's boring most other people, and since it's a subjective thing your arguments cannot be correct.

MSL, I used to be a big supporter of you during your "darker" days, but after reading all the douchebag shit you're been spewing for the last few weeks, I've lost just about all of my respect for you. It's one thing to have an opinion, but you act like your opinion is the only valid one.

That's funny. First you start be throwing out the ridiculously false statement that "every show for the last decade has been the same fucking thing" and then you complain about other MSL attacking others' "opinions". Perhaps if people didn't have "opinions" that are not only blatantly imprecise but outright wrong -- like yours above -- they wouldn't have such a big problem with MSL.

SORRY

ESTRANGED

RIFF RAFF

THIS I LOVE

SHACKLER'S REVENGE

MY GENERATION

ROCKET QUEEN

DON'T CRY

WHOLE LOTTA ROSIE

MADAGASCAR

YOU'RE CRAZY

USED TO LOVE HER

MOTIVATION

CIVIL WAR

MSL, that small handful of songs is just a fraction of the setlist though. On top of that, even with those songs, it's still that same boring setlist night after night after night. You may like the setlist, but it's boring most other people, and since it's a subjective thing your arguments cannot be correct.

Is it boring to most people? What do you consider 'most' of the people? Most of the GNR internet community or most of the general population? I consider 'most' people to be most of the general population, and I would be willing to bet most of the population don't know the set list and thus cannot be bored by it.

your facts does not disprove that Axl more or less plays the same set setlist

Oh my god. You don't see the difference between "every show for the last decade has been the same fucking thing" and "more or less the same setlist"?

I do not disagree with your statement (the setlists have changed rather slowly over the years), but the first statement is directly wrong, not only in terms of setlists but also in terms of band members, stage production, scale, show length, etc.

You may like the setlist, but it's boring most other people, and since it's a subjective thing your arguments cannot be correct.

Whether the shows have been the same over a decade is NOT a subjective thing, but a statement that can be easily falsified and unfortunately for you, it is patently wrong.

And your claim that the setlists are boring most people is ludicrous since most people who attend the shows seem to be very happy about the setlists. It might bore us Internet nerds but we are in a minority compared to all the thousands of fans who leave the shows after each concert. And again, Guns N' Roses are more concerned about pleasing the audiences than they are about pleasing us, and most people would say that is the only sensible thing to do.

Oh my god. You don't see the difference between "every show for the last decade has been the same fucking thing" and "more or less the same setlist"?

I do not disagree with your statement (the setlists have changed rather slowly over the years), but the first statement is directly wrong, not only in terms of setlists but also in terms of band members, stage production, scale, show length, etc.

hey man,ok,there have been some changes during 10 years,but not enough.in my opinion.

I believe Axl really has the potential to not just be good,but great.I said,and meant "minor changes" over a long period of time.

all I want is for Axl to be an artist,to be creative.I feel he's wasting his potential night after night beacuse he doesn't even try.

hence the setlist.

hey man,ok,there have been some changes during 10 years,but not enough.in my opinion.

And -- TADA! -- now we have venture into the world of opinions! :). I kinda agree with you. Not in the sense that I expect more new songs to be played, but I am not a huge fan of the predictability of the current shows (all the way down to the choreography of how the band members move -- wtf, has GN'R become a bloody boy band!?). I wish they would toss it up a bit more. They could afford to rotate a few more songs without the audiences deserting them. In my very humble opinion.

And -- TADA! -- now we have venture into the world of opinions! :). I kinda agree with you. Not in the sense that I expect more new songs to be played, but I am not a huge fan of the predictability of the current shows (all the way down to the choreography of how the band members move -- wtf, has GN'R become a bloody boy band!?). I wish they would toss it up a bit more. They could afford to rotate a few more songs without the audiences deserting them. In my very humble opinion.

While I understand that from a point of view on the forum, I don't think 95% of the people at the show really cares :tongue2:

No, of course not :). What GN'R is doing is very sensible. I am not complaining at all.

Stumbleine -

You are entitled to your opinion. My only concern is the truth. The other poster could have easily said that there have not been enough changes in the last decade to satisfy him. I will never argue opinion. My only interest is facts. When he claimed it's the same set as ten years ago, it's something that should be corrected because it's so far from the truth it's not even funny.

Another thing I find hilarious is that part of the reason the sets are considered to be so similar is because of cutting a bunch of songs, GNR has simply made the sets longer as time has gone on. If they were still only playing 17-18 songs a night instead of 22-25 and many of the newer songs had replaced older songs instead of simply being tacked on to the set, a set from now would look even more different than a set from 2006.

So many of you are complaining about old songs not being cut, even though their presence has not stopped songs from being added. The sets just grow larger. Only the GNR fanbase would complain about something like that. It's literally insane.

that's cool,man,but ,as you know,"the truth" is different for everyone.your truth isn't my truth and so forth.

I just believe in my heart that Axl can do way better than this.it's not just a matter of semantics,we are talking about a technicality here.

I want Axl to succeed and I want to be excited following GNR again.I'm just so bored and disillusioned with Axl and this tour.

To MSL and SoulMonster:

We know. You have told us several times over, in one way or another, that you are happy with the shows and setlists and that we should be happy with them too. You have no problems with the show and we are aware of that because you enter every setlist discussion and find a way to let us know how wrong we are for complaining about it. So how about if the topic is about the setlist you just skip it and read something else on the forum? I'm getting tired of wanting to discuss setlists only to have to skip through several pages of one or both of you bickering with someone else about how happy we should be about the state of things and how we should stop complaining.

Thanks

To MSL and SoulMonster:

We know. You have told us several times over, in one way or another, that you are happy with the shows and setlists and that we should be happy with them too. You have no problems with the show and we are aware of that because you enter every setlist discussion and find a way to let us know how wrong we are for complaining about it. So how about if the topic is about the setlist you just skip it and read something else on the forum? I'm getting tired of wanting to discuss setlists only to have to skip through several pages of one or both of you bickering with someone else about how happy we should be about the state of things and how we should stop complaining.

Thanks

Great post

Furthermore, who gives a fuck if it's the same setlist in different towns on the tour?

When I go see The Avengers, I don't get upset the next night when someone else sees it and I read online that when they saw it the movie was the same as when I saw it.

If "most" people are bored by the setlist, then nobody would be attending the shows, promoters wouldn't be buying the shows, and then there would be no shows.

This is true, I get annoyed at the lack of CD song rotation and the potential the band has thus no sign of new material makes me impatient but this show is evidently one of the best pure rock experiences around and I wouldn't complain if I heard the current setlist.

Setlists of shows I did not attend do not effect my life. I have never claimed to be happy or unhappy. I've never claimed anybody else should be happy or unhappy.

What I have claimed is that complaining about setlists of shows you didn't go to is fucking retarded.

It's absolutely hilarious that you fail to see the irony of your post. You claim I should skip the setlist threads if I'm not interested in the complaints, failing to realize that many of us visit the show threads to hear the opinions of THE PEOPLE THAT WERE THERE!

So how about if you don't like this tour's setlist, YOU skip the show threads?

Maybe people are sick of the bickering of people saying how unhappy everyone that went to the show should have been because the set was similar to another show in a different town.

The sense of entitlement you have is unreal. You think threads dedicated to a specific concert are your personal playground to complain about the setlist show after show, thread after thread and not a place for people who were there to discuss the show and for others to find out about the show from those who were there.

YOU ARE AGITATED THAT PEOPLE ARE INTERFERING WITH YOUR ABILITY TO COMPLAIN ABOUT SHOWS YOU DID NOT SEE!

You desperately need a life.

You are a bell end! That is all.

Setlists of shows I did not attend do not effect my life. I have never claimed to be happy or unhappy. I've never claimed anybody else should be happy or unhappy.

What I have claimed is that complaining about setlists of shows you didn't go to is fucking retarded.

It's absolutely hilarious that you fail to see the irony of your post. You claim I should skip the setlist threads if I'm not interested in the complaints, failing to realize that many of us visit the show threads to hear the opinions of THE PEOPLE THAT WERE THERE!

So how about if you don't like this tour's setlist, YOU skip the show threads?

Maybe people are sick of the bickering of people saying how unhappy everyone that went to the show should have been because the set was similar to another show in a different town.

The sense of entitlement you have is unreal. You think threads dedicated to a specific concert are your personal playground to complain about the setlist show after show, thread after thread and not a place for people who were there to discuss the show and for others to find out about the show from those who were there.

YOU ARE AGITATED THAT PEOPLE ARE INTERFERING WITH YOUR ABILITY TO COMPLAIN ABOUT SHOWS YOU DID NOT SEE!

You desperately need a life.

You are a bell end! That is all.

Nobody is ever happy with just the bell end.

Full cock and balls or go home