Guns N' Roses current management

shotgunblues1978

I've seen a number of posts deriding the Lebeis family and their ability to manage GnR. Seems to me that GnR has been running more smoothly than it ever did under the "big name" managers they had in the past

Examples:

-The band has been actively and consistently touring since the end of 2009 and overall things have gone pretty smoothly on tour with minimal cancellations; the band is regularly playing 3 hour sets

-The tour routes actually make sense, unlike the days when Merck had them playing bizarre podunk venues mixed in with major arenas and zigzagging all over the place

-They have communicated more regularly with fans; Axl obviously does not like doing press stuff but he did a good length TV interview with Eddie Trunk and did his first major print interview in over a decade with the LA Times

-They have a real, professional looking website that is regularly updated; while it may not be laden with features, it's a huge improvement over the previous jokes called websites when Merck was running the show

-They have released official band photos and merchandise featuring the current lineup

-They've streamed concerts live

-They've acted quickly to resolve issues (the fanclub t-shirt thing that everyone made a big deal of was resolved quickly)

I guess my question is why are they so heavily criticized? Or is it just another excuse to rattle off boring criticisms of GnR/Axl?

Seems they've done a far better job than Doug Goldstein and Merck did.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you think those things weren't suggested/planned by former management you're delusional.

By every standard, GN'R is behind the curve when it comes to promoting and marketing their current music and being forward thinking with music to be released.

However, yes, progress has been made and there has been some great things for the fans. Credit is due for progress.

Even if you think Beta, etc. is a drain on Axl professionally, taking the power away from "management" and back into the artists' hands is the absolute best thing that can happen and I'm grateful for it.

I hope that they will use that power to help build a better relationships with the fans in the future.

I think that they're doing a good job as far as booking tours goes, but I am underwhelmed with their online presence, and I don't think that the shirts should have ever been a fiasco to begin with. My true test for them is getting Axl and the record company to agree on releasing an album. I am waiting to pass final judgement depending on how long that takes to accomplish.

At this point, I'm giving them a C.

I think that they're doing a good job as far as booking tours goes, but I am underwhelmed with their online presence, and I don't think that the shirts should have ever been a fiasco to begin with. My true test for them is getting Axl and the record company to agree on releasing an album. I am waiting to pass final judgement depending on how long that takes to accomplish.

guns n roses management can do better. like dropping a fresh guns n roses song from the chinese democracy recording sessions on itunes. confirming or denying the legitimacy of blood in the water and better gone remix. having axl perform more cd songs and new songs at concerts. giving a release date for the next chinese record. letting the fans know if 2012 is the year for the next chinese record or not. make some music videos like axl made videos before with the epic november rain and estranged music videos. giving us a tracklisting for the next chinese record. a preview of the next chinese album artwork. setting up shows for axl and guns n roses to be on for promotion like Letterman and Leno. Jimmy Fallon. making a deal for the next chinese record to be in bestbuy, walmart, and target. things like this is what guns n roses management could be doing today

this

I've seen a number of posts deriding the Lebeis family and their ability to manage GnR. Seems to me that GnR has been running more smoothly than it ever did under the "big name" managers they had in the past

Examples:

-The band has been actively and consistently touring since the end of 2009 and overall things have gone pretty smoothly on tour with minimal cancellations; the band is regularly playing 3 hour sets

-The tour routes actually make sense, unlike the days when Merck had them playing bizarre podunk venues mixed in with major arenas and zigzagging all over the place

-They have communicated more regularly with fans; Axl obviously does not like doing press stuff but he did a good length TV interview with Eddie Trunk and did his first major print interview in over a decade with the LA Times

-They have a real, professional looking website that is regularly updated; while it may not be laden with features, it's a huge improvement over the previous jokes called websites when Merck was running the show

-They have released official band photos and merchandise featuring the current lineup

-They've acted quickly to resolve issues (the fanclub t-shirt thing that everyone made a big deal of was resolved quickly)

I guess my question is why are they so heavily criticized? Or is it just another excuse to rattle off boring criticisms of GnR/Axl?

You left out the part where they cancelled a show due to safety issues. Someone had said, maybe Ron, that the band hadn't done a tour book in ages. I'm kind of surprised they haven't been making the soundboards available to the fan club members.

I certainty think they are doing the best job out of all the other managers post-97 have done, but I still would like to see a bit more initiative to get thinks more fan oriented and more communication out there. The livesteams are a fantastic start

Examples:

You know Beta and her family only took the management status in late 2011, right? Lots of what you said (including Axl interview) was before her getting the job.

guns n roses management can do better. like dropping a fresh guns n roses song from the chinese democracy recording sessions on itunes. confirming or denying the legitimacy of blood in the water and better gone remix. having axl perform more cd songs and new songs at concerts. giving a release date for the next chinese record. letting the fans know if 2012 is the year for the next chinese record or not. make some music videos like axl made videos before with the epic november rain and estranged music videos. giving us a tracklisting for the next chinese record. a preview of the next chinese album artwork. setting up shows for axl and guns n roses to be on for promotion like Letterman and Leno. Jimmy Fallon. making a deal for the next chinese record to be in bestbuy, walmart, and target. things like this is what guns n roses management could be doing today

Most of this depends on Axl, not management. Also, because of that, they won't tell much more things about the next album untill they have something more concrete about its release. Everything they already said about it (Ashba, Richard, Tommy) were taking as lies for most of the people here anyways.

Examples:

You know Beta and her family only took the management status in late 2011, right? Lots of what you said (including Axl interview) was before her getting the job.

Not entirely true; they managed the group in 2007, toward the end of 2009, in parts of 2010, parts of 2011, etc. Merck was fired in late 2006/early 2007; Azoff hired in early 2008, fired in 2009; Doc McGhee and Peter Katsis were involved very briefly in 2010 and 2011

Another point, and this is big, is that they are actually managing the band with Axl's interests/desires in mind. Azoff, McGhee and Katsis all apparently tried to push Axl in various ways to reunite with the old band, despite the fact that he has no interest in doing so.

Then there was Merck, who all signs point to being simply incompetent.

they are actually managing the band with their own interests/desires in mind.

I fixed that for you. The goal all along has been to get more and more power for their family, and put more money in their pockets. The more pots they could get their hands into the better for them.

I fixed that for you. The goal all along has been to get more and more power for their family, and put more money in their pockets. The more pots they could get their hands into the better for them.

Do you feel the same way about Perla?

Shut up. Quit trying to bring Slash into everything. This is about GNR's current management.

I would feel the same if he hired his housekeeper and her kids to take over the band, yes.

Shut up. Quit trying to bring Slash into everything. This is about GNR's current management.

I was directing that question to a specific poster, not you or anyone else

The poster in question has been very vocal about how much of a joke it is that Axl's "housekeeper" is managing GnR, and for many years has slandered the Lebeis family on these forums as money grubbing individuals who are using Axl, despite the fact that Axl very clearly considers them family.

On the other hand, I've never never seen him say anything negative about Slash period, but specifically about his wife managing his career, despite the fact that she also has no credentials in the music industry. So I'm interested to get his take on that.

guns n roses management can do better. like dropping a fresh guns n roses song from the chinese democracy recording sessions on itunes. confirming or denying the legitimacy of blood in the water and better gone remix. having axl perform more cd songs and new songs at concerts. giving a release date for the next chinese record. letting the fans know if 2012 is the year for the next chinese record or not. make some music videos like axl made videos before with the epic november rain and estranged music videos. giving us a tracklisting for the next chinese record. a preview of the next chinese album artwork.

• Randomly releasing a new song if there is not an album ready to soon follow would be a very poor choice. The next GNR song that is released is sure to receive a lot of mainstream attention for a brief period of time. The song after that would not receive nearly as much attention. I am glad you are not the manager of GNR.

• It would not be in the best interest of GNR to draw any additional attention to Blood in the Water, or any leak for that matter. I am glad you are not the manager of GNR.

• It would not be in the best interest of GNR to draw any additional attention to Better Gone remix, or any leak for that matter. I am glad you are not the manager of GNR.

• 6-7 Chinese songs a night is already really pushing it as far as most fans are concerned. The average fan attending a GNR concert would most likely prefer to hear less Chinese and more Appetite. Adding more new songs to the set would not be good for business.

• If the next album is more than a few months away, there is nothing to be gained by announcing a release date now. It's very important to properly time announcements to maximize the value of the media coverage.

• There is nothing to be gained by announcing that there WON'T be an album this year. If there will be an album, there is nothing to be gained by announcing it more than a few months in advance.

• Making epic music videos would be a giant waste of money.

• Giving us the tracklisting of the next album this far in advance would be a poor choice. Basically, you would be an awful manager.

i think guns n roses management should release a new song on itunes. i think so because the first song released from the first chinese democracy record "chinese democracy" didn't do well. very little to no airplay on radio. axl didn't promote the song. management didn't step up to help the song. after that, radio very rarely played the chinese democracy album. and it took a nose dive off the billboard charts. putting a single on itunes this summer gives hope

why would it not be in the best interest to confirm or deny blood or better gone? it would let the fans know if what they hear is real or they are being fooled. the question hangs in the air. you'd think management would want to erase doubt and give answers. and if they are real...axl can perform them at upcoming shows. give us something different from the norm setlist every night. i would kill to hear blood live at a guns show. better gone version too

i don't see how playing cd songs and more unheard songs at guns shows is bad for business. it's good for business. increases ticket sales. if i found out in advance axl was playing more cd songs or new songs i'd buy a ticket to every show. and travel wherever i had to 2 hear these new songs

albums are announced in advance. it's buzz. promotion. sets up cd sales at bestbuy, walmart, and target. it's good business sense letting your fans know if an album is coming in a specific year you're in and what the release date will be. you don't want your fanbase lost in the dark

one of the things that made guns n roses the #1 band in the world was their epic music videos on mtv. axl rose spent millions on them. the epic don't cry, november rain, and estranged music videos. november rain became the most popular music video in music television history. certainly wasn't a giant waste of time. the guns n roses music videos like these and others like you could be mine, live and let die, and sweet child o mine weren't a waste of time then. they wouldn't be a waste of tme now. guns n roses music videos rock. the guns n roses music video collection on dvd is a big example. it's worth the fans time

giving the tracklisting and artwork preview in advance is what management does. it's promotion. buzz. gives hope for the cd of your fav band actually coming out

Edited by finck6

Azoff, McGhee and Katsis all apparently tried to push Axl in various ways to reunite with the old band

This is factually untrue and you haven't a shred of evidence to back it up with.

Goldy and Merck helped keep GN'R alive, helped Axl pursue his vision, and helped the record you love get into your hands.

They also helped treat GN'R like a proper band by organizing media appearances, TV/radio spots, and most famously the 2002 VMA gig.

I love the "throw them under the bus" mentality on these forums, e.g.:

Slash isn't in GNR anymore? FUCK HIM. (Even though he built GNR to what it is today).

Bucket isn't in GNR anymore? FUCK HIM. (Even though him and Robin built Chinese 1-3).

Grow up, children.

Azoff, McGhee and Katsis all apparently tried to push Axl in various ways to reunite with the old band

This is factually untrue and you haven't a shred of evidence to back it up with.

Goldy and Merck helped keep GN'R alive, helped Axl pursue his vision, and helped the record you love get into your hands.

They also helped treat GN'R like a proper band by organizing media appearances, TV/radio spots, and most famously the 2002 VMA gig.

I love the "throw them under the bus" mentality on these forums, e.g.:

Slash isn't in GNR anymore? FUCK HIM. (Even though he built GNR to what it is today).

Bucket isn't in GNR anymore? FUCK HIM. (Even though him and Robin built Chinese 1-3).

Grow up, children.

You say it's factually untrue, yet you have no evidence to prove that, either. My comment is based on this quote:

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/dec/21/entertainment/la-et-12-20-axl-rose-interview-20111221

"More important, he adds, most managers want the same thing that nearly every rock 'n' roll fan of the past quarter-century wants, and the one thing he stubbornly refuses to do: reunite with Slash, Izzy, Duff and the rest of the classic GNR group for a tour. The constant question is an albatross and leaves Rose not only tired but wary of anyone in the business looking to work with him. "All these managers, they all believe in one thing: sell a reunion tour and get their commission. It's just a phone call. It's a half a day's … work, or however long they want to keep the bidding war going. They get their commission and they don't care if it falls on its face.""

What's your comment based upon? That in your opinion Axl's lying?

Merck didn't do a great job of getting the album wrapped up and released, nor do he do a great job of tour booking and logistics which led to a number of cancelled dates. Azoff negotiated a sweetheart deal with Best Buy and got the album out, so he deserves credit in that regard. McGhee and Katsis did absolutely nothing.

Not entirely true; they managed the group in 2007, toward the end of 2009, in parts of 2010, parts of 2011, etc. Merck was fired in late 2006/early 2007; Azoff hired in early 2008, fired in 2009; Doc McGhee and Peter Katsis were involved very briefly in 2010 and 2011

You don't know if it was really Beta and her family who managed the band in those downtimes except for 2011, do you? As far as we know, Axl himself said it, they didn't have a manager - and that's all. You're assuming it was them, but we really don't know.

Another point, and this is big, is that they are actually managing the band with Axl's interests/desires in mind. Azoff, McGhee and Katsis all apparently tried to push Axl in various ways to reunite with the old band, despite the fact that he has no interest in doing so.

Then there was Merck, who all signs point to being simply incompetent.

I don't think Merck was like that. He actually tried to promote Axl and the band the proper way - why do you think Axl suddenly came out of his cave and started to show up on parties in 2006, even throwing out an accoustic performance for actress Rosario Dawson?

With the others, I agree with you.

I would feel the same if he hired his housekeeper and her kids to take over the band, yes.

I hate those kinda of comments full of prejudice. So what that she was a housekeeper 20 years ago? As far as we know, she may have even degrees on college here in Brazil. Do you think the big managers were all in this business since they left their parents house?

I think the key is that Axl is with the new management 24/7 so they can discuss and react to things very quickly.They can discuss business any time of day and plan tours that are better organised in terms of travel,etc.Hopefully the next step will be to plan how to get the next record recorded and out there.I guess that's not an easy one,cause of obligations to universal and the funding of this album. Am I right in saying that there is a good chance that the money spent on Chinese was the budget universal had sanctioned for all 3 contracted albums and this could be one reason for the delays?

Edited by no1gooner

Finck 6 -

Chinese Democracy the single received a lot of airplay at first and charted very high. It didn't have much staying power though. Randomly releasing a song on itunes would use up whatever juice there would be for the "first" new GNR song since Chinese. It's a really really really bad idea to just randomly put out a song right now if the new album isn't around the corner.

Confirming or denying either recent leak would simply lead to a round of media attention focusing on the leaks. Really really bad idea to acknowledge them in any way.

Most fans attending GNR shows have NO interest in the new material. They're already playing 6-7 new songs a night. Any more than that would really be pushing it. There are a few mentally ill fans like you that would fly all over the place for the chance to hear one song, but the vast majority of the audience wants to hear the classics.

Albums are announced in advance, but why would they randomly announce the album, reveal the artwork and tracklist, etc etc if the album isn't going to be out in the next few months? Randomly revealing that information a year or two in advance would be a really bad idea. Just awful. Stick to being a fan. Band management is not your forte.

Spending a ton of money on music videos was a good idea for current young hot act back when MTV was dominant. Now it would just be foolish.

on the top 100 singles chart on billboard....what # did the single "chinese democracy" chart? i don't remember seeing it chart high. i check billboard charts all the time. radio stations played it once cause they had to. but never played it again. didn't play the other songs off the album either. which makes it a really good idea for a new song to drop on itunes

we don't know if the next chinese record isn't around the corner. which is the point of having guns n roses management tell us if there is one or not around the corner. i'm sure management doesn't want fans making assumptions about what's or what's not on the horizon

bring it on. media attention on guns n roses songs is what guns n roses needs. it shines a light on a new song like blood in the water. builds anticipation from media and fans for axl to bust it out live. it's good focus

i feel the majority would love to hear new material over old material. basically, fans buy tickets because of axl rose. they come to the shows for axl. playing new material makes the show better. by word of mouth....increases ticket sales. and provides buzz for the next chinese record

axl should play more cd songs while at the same time playing songs in the can no one's heard yet. you want to play the big guns. the best songs at concerts

we don't know if the next chinese cd is coming or not coming in the next few months. the fans don't know if it's coming. management puts the information out there to give the fanbase hope. hope and faith. in a new album coming in the year fans feel is the right time for it to drop

it wouldn't be foolish. do you watch fuse? other music video channels on tv? big music videos play on tv today. millions of dollars are spent to make music vids every day. it's how the music business works. what artists and bands do for creativity and their fanbases with music video content 4 TV. it's what guns n roses did with their epic music videos. what axl can do today with videos for epic songs like robin's TIL and bucket's Prostitute. it's a big business. lots of money is spent and made from the venture. a very profitable and popular outlet for bands and fans. i hope axl gets back into it again

Finck 6 -

Chinese Democracy the single received a lot of airplay at first and charted very high. It didn't have much staying power though. Randomly releasing a song on itunes would use up whatever juice there would be for the "first" new GNR song since Chinese. It's a really really really bad idea to just randomly put out a song right now if the new album isn't around the corner.

Confirming or denying either recent leak would simply lead to a round of media attention focusing on the leaks. Really really bad idea to acknowledge them in any way.

Most fans attending GNR shows have NO interest in the new material. They're already playing 6-7 new songs a night. Any more than that would really be pushing it. There are a few mentally ill fans like you that would fly all over the place for the chance to hear one song, but the vast majority of the audience wants to hear the classics.

Albums are announced in advance, but why would they randomly announce the album, reveal the artwork and tracklist, etc etc if the album isn't going to be out in the next few months? Randomly revealing that information a year or two in advance would be a really bad idea. Just awful. Stick to being a fan. Band management is not your forte.

Spending a ton of money on music videos was a good idea for current young hot act back when MTV was dominant. Now it would just be foolish.

it wouldn't be foolish. do you watch fuse? other music video channels on tv? big music videos play on tv today. millions of dollars are spent to make music vids every day. it's how the music business works. what artists and bands do for creativity and their fanbases with music video content 4 TV. it's what guns n roses did with their epic music videos. what axl can do today with videos for epic songs like robin's TIL and bucket's Prostitute. it's a big business. lots of money is spent and made from the venture. a very profitable and popular outlet for bands and fans. i hope axl gets back into it again

Axl thinks those GN'R videos are "corny", he's not going to start making videos like November Rain and Estranged again.

Finck 6 -

Axl thinks those GN'R videos are "corny", he's not going to start making videos like November Rain and Estranged again.

when did axl say the epic november rain and estranged videos were corny? axl didn't say they were corny on either makin' of dvd with november rain and estranged videos

Finck 6 -

when did axl say the epic november rain and estranged videos were corny? axl didn't say they were corny on either makin' of dvd with november rain and estranged videos

He said something to that effect during the Eddie Trunk interview back in '06