Guns N' Roses current management

shotgunblues1978

I've seen a number of posts deriding the Lebeis family and their ability to manage GnR. Seems to me that GnR has been running more smoothly than it ever did under the "big name" managers they had in the past

Examples:

-The band has been actively and consistently touring since the end of 2009 and overall things have gone pretty smoothly on tour with minimal cancellations; the band is regularly playing 3 hour sets

-The tour routes actually make sense, unlike the days when Merck had them playing bizarre podunk venues mixed in with major arenas and zigzagging all over the place

-They have communicated more regularly with fans; Axl obviously does not like doing press stuff but he did a good length TV interview with Eddie Trunk and did his first major print interview in over a decade with the LA Times

-They have a real, professional looking website that is regularly updated; while it may not be laden with features, it's a huge improvement over the previous jokes called websites when Merck was running the show

-They have released official band photos and merchandise featuring the current lineup

-They've streamed concerts live

-They've acted quickly to resolve issues (the fanclub t-shirt thing that everyone made a big deal of was resolved quickly)

I guess my question is why are they so heavily criticized? Or is it just another excuse to rattle off boring criticisms of GnR/Axl?

Seems they've done a far better job than Doug Goldstein and Merck did.

I think the Lebeis' managing the band is the best thing for them hereoin.

Baseless judgements of previous managers though is unfair, Alot of people have invested alot of time, emotion and energy into GN'R over 25 years, and you will find most ex managers still hold Axl in high regard.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finck 6 -

Chinese Democracy the single received a lot of airplay at first and charted very high. It didn't have much staying power though. Randomly releasing a song on itunes would use up whatever juice there would be for the "first" new GNR song since Chinese. It's a really really really bad idea to just randomly put out a song right now if the new album isn't around the corner.

Confirming or denying either recent leak would simply lead to a round of media attention focusing on the leaks. Really really bad idea to acknowledge them in any way.

Most fans attending GNR shows have NO interest in the new material. They're already playing 6-7 new songs a night. Any more than that would really be pushing it. There are a few mentally ill fans like you that would fly all over the place for the chance to hear one song, but the vast majority of the audience wants to hear the classics.

Albums are announced in advance, but why would they randomly announce the album, reveal the artwork and tracklist, etc etc if the album isn't going to be out in the next few months? Randomly revealing that information a year or two in advance would be a really bad idea. Just awful. Stick to being a fan. Band management is not your forte.

Spending a ton of money on music videos was a good idea for current young hot act back when MTV was dominant. Now it would just be foolish.

it wouldn't be foolish. do you watch fuse? other music video channels on tv? big music videos play on tv today. millions of dollars are spent to make music vids every day. it's how the music business works. what artists and bands do for creativity and their fanbases with music video content 4 TV. it's what guns n roses did with their epic music videos. what axl can do today with videos for epic songs like robin's TIL and bucket's Prostitute. it's a big business. lots of money is spent and made from the venture. a very profitable and popular outlet for bands and fans. i hope axl gets back into it again

Axl thinks those GN'R videos are "corny", he's not going to start making videos like November Rain and Estranged again.

when did axl say the epic november rain and estranged videos were corny? axl didn't say they were corny on either makin' of dvd with november rain and estranged videos

He said something to that effect during the Eddie Trunk interview back in '06

axl said the the don't cry, novemmber rain, and estranged music videos were fuckin' great in the 90's

I think that they're doing a good job as far as booking tours goes, but I am underwhelmed with their online presence, and I don't think that the shirts should have ever been a fiasco to begin with. My true test for them is getting Axl and the record company to agree on releasing an album. I am waiting to pass final judgement depending on how long that takes to accomplish.

At this point, I'm giving them a C.

guns n roses management can do better. like dropping a fresh guns n roses song from the chinese democracy recording sessions on itunes. confirming or denying the legitimacy of blood in the water and better gone remix. having axl perform more cd songs and new songs at concerts. giving a release date for the next chinese record. letting the fans know if 2012 is the year for the next chinese record or not. make some music videos like axl made videos before with the epic november rain and estranged music videos. giving us a tracklisting for the next chinese record. a preview of the next chinese album artwork. setting up shows for axl and guns n roses to be on for promotion like Letterman and Leno. Jimmy Fallon. making a deal for the next chinese record to be in bestbuy, walmart, and target. things like this is what guns n roses management could be doing today

You seriously confuse me. Are we supposed to be arguing here?

guns n roses management can do better. like dropping a fresh guns n roses song from the chinese democracy recording sessions on itunes. confirming or denying the legitimacy of blood in the water and better gone remix. having axl perform more cd songs and new songs at concerts. giving a release date for the next chinese record. letting the fans know if 2012 is the year for the next chinese record or not. make some music videos like axl made videos before with the epic november rain and estranged music videos. giving us a tracklisting for the next chinese record. a preview of the next chinese album artwork.

• Randomly releasing a new song if there is not an album ready to soon follow would be a very poor choice. The next GNR song that is released is sure to receive a lot of mainstream attention for a brief period of time. The song after that would not receive nearly as much attention. I am glad you are not the manager of GNR.

• It would not be in the best interest of GNR to draw any additional attention to Blood in the Water, or any leak for that matter. I am glad you are not the manager of GNR.

• It would not be in the best interest of GNR to draw any additional attention to Better Gone remix, or any leak for that matter. I am glad you are not the manager of GNR.

• 6-7 Chinese songs a night is already really pushing it as far as most fans are concerned. The average fan attending a GNR concert would most likely prefer to hear less Chinese and more Appetite. Adding more new songs to the set would not be good for business.

• If the next album is more than a few months away, there is nothing to be gained by announcing a release date now. It's very important to properly time announcements to maximize the value of the media coverage.

• There is nothing to be gained by announcing that there WON'T be an album this year. If there will be an album, there is nothing to be gained by announcing it more than a few months in advance.

• Making epic music videos would be a giant waste of money.

• Giving us the tracklisting of the next album this far in advance would be a poor choice. Basically, you would be an awful manager.

Yeh, let's add more solos, covers, jams and songs where people other than Axl are singing. That is a better alternative than playing songs off your current album.

I think that they're doing a good job as far as booking tours goes, but I am underwhelmed with their online presence, and I don't think that the shirts should have ever been a fiasco to begin with. My true test for them is getting Axl and the record company to agree on releasing an album. I am waiting to pass final judgement depending on how long that takes to accomplish.

guns n roses management can do better. like dropping a fresh guns n roses song from the chinese democracy recording sessions on itunes. confirming or denying the legitimacy of blood in the water and better gone remix. having axl perform more cd songs and new songs at concerts. giving a release date for the next chinese record. letting the fans know if 2012 is the year for the next chinese record or not. make some music videos like axl made videos before with the epic november rain and estranged music videos. giving us a tracklisting for the next chinese record. a preview of the next chinese album artwork. setting up shows for axl and guns n roses to be on for promotion like Letterman and Leno. Jimmy Fallon. making a deal for the next chinese record to be in bestbuy, walmart, and target. things like this is what guns n roses management could be doing today

i'm giving my recommendations on what guns n roses management can do with guns n roses for the fanbase. both hardcore and new fans

I would like to see more interaction on the forums from the band, they don't even login to read any more.

I know a lot of negative stuff is written but they have to take the good with the bad - most on here love the band, the touring & the photo opportunities & it would be good to get them on here every now & then to let us know what they're planning.

guns n roses management can do better. like dropping a fresh guns n roses song from the chinese democracy recording sessions on itunes. confirming or denying the legitimacy of blood in the water and better gone remix. having axl perform more cd songs and new songs at concerts. giving a release date for the next chinese record. letting the fans know if 2012 is the year for the next chinese record or not. make some music videos like axl made videos before with the epic november rain and estranged music videos. giving us a tracklisting for the next chinese record. a preview of the next chinese album artwork.

• Randomly releasing a new song if there is not an album ready to soon follow would be a very poor choice. The next GNR song that is released is sure to receive a lot of mainstream attention for a brief period of time. The song after that would not receive nearly as much attention. I am glad you are not the manager of GNR.

• It would not be in the best interest of GNR to draw any additional attention to Blood in the Water, or any leak for that matter. I am glad you are not the manager of GNR.

• It would not be in the best interest of GNR to draw any additional attention to Better Gone remix, or any leak for that matter. I am glad you are not the manager of GNR.

• 6-7 Chinese songs a night is already really pushing it as far as most fans are concerned. The average fan attending a GNR concert would most likely prefer to hear less Chinese and more Appetite. Adding more new songs to the set would not be good for business.

• If the next album is more than a few months away, there is nothing to be gained by announcing a release date now. It's very important to properly time announcements to maximize the value of the media coverage.

• There is nothing to be gained by announcing that there WON'T be an album this year. If there will be an album, there is nothing to be gained by announcing it more than a few months in advance.

• Giving us the tracklisting of the next album this far in advance would be a poor choice. Basically, you would be an awful manager.

Yeh, let's add more solos, covers, jams and songs where people other than Axl are singing. That is a better alternative than playing songs off your current album.

i don't think a surplus of solos, covers, and jams is the answer.

i'm giving my recommendations on what guns n roses management can do with guns n roses for the fanbase. both hardcore and new fans

Very excellent recommendations in my opinion.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I was being very sarcastic :P

I was being very sarcastic :P

lol covers and jams worked in the beginning with the chinese democacy band cause there wasn't expectation. today there's expectation. the bar's been set higher by the fans with what's played in the setlist at the shows. the expectation is great for new material over individual solos and non guns covers

Edited by finck6

Going from 2-3 solos a night to 4-5 solos a night has also coincided with Axl singing 22-25 songs a night instead of 17-18. Your premise that solos could be substituted for new songs is faulty. Less solos would result in Axl singing less songs.

Most of the "jams" that people complain about are actually just intros to songs and most of the people complaining are people who don't go to the shows and simply read the setlists. I love the extended versions of Madagascar, Patience and Paradise City with the new intros. Your premise that the band could just stop playing the intros for those songs and replace them with new songs is faulty. If anything, removing the intros might result in a song being cut from the encore.

Two of GNR's biggest hits are covers, both of which were released on GNR studio albums. Other than those two songs, which are huge fan favorites, the only cover song that's being played right now is Whole Lotta Rosie, which appeared on one of GNR's first EPs and is a very cool nod for old school fans.

The only real "jam" of the show is Another Brick in the Wall, which is just the guys having fun while the piano is being moved and set up. Your premise that the Brick jam could be cut in favor of a new song is faulty. The true alternative would just be silence while the piano is being set up.

Sure thing man. I stand by my OPINION. My post was not to imply that each solo/jam/cover could be replaced with a new song. Only that the setlist is so laden with with all this things and the band(Axl) can't even throw out a new tune or bust out some fan favorites off Chidem like ITW or Catcher.

seems like you're hiding behind the word OPINION to justify simply being wrong. your entire premise was completely false.

Ummmm it is my opinion. Where did I state what I posted was fact? How can my opinion be wrong? How can it be right? It is an opinion. Are you seeing things again?

Edited by Young_Gun

but the thing you said they could do isn't something they could do. therefore you're wrong. the solos are what allow axl to sing as many songs as he's singing. your premise that the solos could be cut in favor or more songs is simply incorrect.

opinion has nothing to do with this.

Shows how smart you are. At most, my OPINION COULD BE WRONG. I never stated anything as fact.

Edited by Young_Gun

it's not opinion at all. you losers bitch about there being extra solos, but since GNR returned in 2001, the more members that have been given solos, the more songs axl has been able to sing. that's not my opinion, that's fact.

your premise that the solos could just be cut in favor of songs, when clearly it's the extra solos that have allowed extra songs to be added in the first place, is just entirely faulty.

the band is already pushing the limits of human endurance.

if it's your opinion that you would prefer the band go back to 2-3 solos with axl singing 17-18 songs a night instead of 22-25, that's fine. that's a completely valid opinion. if you hate the solos that much and would prefer the length of the shows go back to what they were in 2002 and 2006, more power to you.

I don't really mind either way. With the solos I get more songs, without the solos, I don't get as bored. The solos really do bore me, everyone is different. Would be cool if Axl alternated the songs more often. I'd still go to a show if Guns played in my area regardless of the set. But for the peeps who can't go to a show, what else is there to talk about besides the setlist...

Out of curiosity what was the length of original GnR shows compared to now?

Just to see if MSL's thoughts hold water

I have collected some stats on show length in terms of the number of songs played (not counting solos and jams), you can see it on this page: http://www.a-4-d.com/t15-tour-and-concert-statistics

During the UYI tour the average was around 17 songs per show, after the release of CD the average is more than 20.

Not as much as his ankles but still. :P

Enough with the fat jokes !!!!!!!!!

Ah fuck it who am I kidding, that was funny

I'm trying, I really am but that was a pitch that just deserved to end up in the bleachers man! I can't be held responsible! <_<

Not as much as his ankles but still. :P

Enough with the fat jokes !!!!!!!!!

Ah fuck it who am I kidding, that was funny

I'm trying, I really am but that was a pitch that just deserved to end up in the bleachers man! I can't be held responsible! <_<

Be happy man, his girth is the least of his issues. If he wasn't such a dong it would be bullying