What were your expectations for New GNR when you first became familiar with the classic Buckethead lineup?

Randy Lahey

What were your expectations for New GNR when you first became familiar with the classic Buckethead lineup? I was expecting songs like the one below (mixed with electronica) sparking complete and utter world domination. The saddest thing to me in the whole CD saga is that A. Rose has seemed to have lost his ambition to conquer the world. I wish Axl could find a way to get back that Donner Party spirit that he started the trip off with and take his cannibal gear back off the wall.

Edited by Randy Lahey

I didn't have any expectations. I honestly thought it was some sort of weird joke. Then they started a tour, and I was like, "Oh, this was real?" Then the tour was cancelled, and I thought, "Ahhhh, , I was right the first time."

It's the only lineup he's had since post Slash and Izzy where I've thought that he could be really successful with. The latest lineup plays the songs well, but I don't really expect them to ever write and record together. The 02 lineup had that magic vibe though.

I didn't have any expectations. I honestly thought it was some sort of weird joke. Then they started a tour, and I was like, "Oh, this was real?" Then the tour was cancelled, and I thought, "Ahhhh, , I was right the first time."

It's the only lineup he's had since post Slash and Izzy where I've thought that he could be really successful with. The latest lineup plays the songs well, but I don't really expect them to ever write and record together. The 02 lineup had that magic vibe though.

This.......but have to say I was underwhelmed by ChiDem.....thought Axl wasted the talent.........

This.......but have to say I was underwhelmed by ChiDem.....thought Axl wasted the talent.........

He fucked up CITR and Shackler's Revenge by putting Ron's awful solos on them. And we still haven't heard the rest of the songs from that era. I wish Axl had chosen to be more ballsy and release the techno industrial mixes of the stuff he worked on. I wanted him to go all the way with his vision and completely fracture the old fanbase. It was only ever GNR in name anyway.

Edited by Randy Lahey

What were your expectations for New GNR when you first became familiar with the classic Buckethead lineup? I was expecting songs like the one below (mixed with electronica) sparking complete and utter world domination. The saddest thing to me in the whole CD saga is that A. Rose has seemed to have lost his ambition to conquer the world. I wish Axl could find a way to get back that Donner Party spirit that he started the trip off with and take his cannibal gear back off the wall.

it seemed axl came out wanting to destroy the world again, show people he could do it and was really inspired, i know his voice but seeing them on the VMA's in 2002 was just fucking epic i thought for sure they would go back to the top, the energy and momentum was their for them to do it IMO it sucks that it seems like he lost that fire but man i think he could have done it with bucket

I had low expectations at first. They weren't really in the media. The Internet was less big. GNRs time seemed to have past.

But by the time they put out OMG then rumors of a trilogy. I guess that was exciting. I hadn't really grasped that this would cause so much controversy about Axl taking the name as both Slash and Izzy went solo. And Axl seemed to be more left field. Like a Faith no More meets Queen type band.

So I think what I'm saying that back then it was more interest in the music that interesting. Not all the drama that it became. There were rumblings but back on 2000 Intentions there was no 800 page duels to the death.

Edited by wasted

I miss Buckethead.

Yeah...

I was expecting an angrier NIN, pretty much like OMG. '99 was the year for CD...

I love Ron, but Bucket's recent work makes me wish he'd written some of those AWESOME riffs for GnR.

I didn't have expectations really. I was willing to accept this new band, in fact I was excited, but somewhere in 2002 I just realised that it was just a big mess, it was awful to see what Guns N Roses had become. Since then I wish this new thing would have never seen the light of day. Axl should have gone solo and that's it.

Edited by Kapitch_77

I didn't have expectations really. I was willing to accept this new band, in fact I was excited, but somewhere in 2002 I just realised that it was just a big mess, it was awful to see what Guns N Roses had become. Since then I wish this new thing would have never seen the light of day. Axl should have gone solo and that's it.

EXACTLY my feelings, well put.

I too was expecting some electronica music. I wasn't expecting to like anything they did together since I hated that version live. Then I ended up loving Chinese Democracy. I love Buckethead in the studio. He wrote some of the greatest GNR guitar work period.

He fucked up CITR by putting Ron's awful solos on them.

I think Ron's solo works really well with the outro (and I like May's prototype but Ron's fits better imo).

I fuckin' love Ron's solo. Better than the two following Bucket solos..

I honestly hated buckethead until he left the band. I thought he was just another limp bizkit guitarist-with-a-mask clone. I have a newfound respect for him so I can say that my dislike was misguided.

When I got into the band, Bucket was already gone and probably so was Robin (don't really know now)... Didn't really know bucket and judging from what I had seen from him in GnR, I thought what the average fan thinks "Amazingly fast but no soul". Hell I was wrong. I'm a huge Buckethead solo fan now. Love it.

I honestly hated buckethead until he left the band. I thought he was just another limp bizkit guitarist-with-a-mask clone. I have a newfound respect for him so I can say that my dislike was misguided.

When I got into the band, Bucket was already gone and probably so was Robin (don't really know now)... Didn't really know bucket and judging from what I had seen from him in GnR, I thought what the average fan thinks "Amazingly fast but no soul". Hell I was wrong. I'm a huge Buckethead solo fan now. Love it.

I absolutely fucking hated Bucketheads and Finks image when i saw them in 02 as GNR...HAHAH i though Axl is pulling our wieners with these dorks up there playing real rock and roll......totally ruined my concept and image of GNR...at least the GNR I had waited to see for 11 years! i though wow what a bunch of panty fags ...and youhave to admit they took thier stage personas to the sissy bitch side of things pretty seriously...like that Herbie the sock stunt doiong his talking...that made me wanna chuck a bottle at his head from front row. That all being what it was ...and the understanding that they were scab labor at best ...certainly not in any way to be confused with Guns and Fucking Roses....they are and have been the best cover band that Axl has ever had the pleasure of singing with EVER!!!!

Buckethead however is a great guitarist ...I met him back in the day when he and my guitarist were under the tutalage of Paul Gilbert at MIT in Hollywood. I have all his stuff and have seen him several times SOLO where he belongs doing his THING(playing with his THINGs) Pissed me off to Go to GUNS AND ROSES show AND HAVE A bUCKETHEAD SHOW BREAK OUT....but given the history of GNR at that time....you had to wonder if Axl hadnt spent his time with his nose in the bag.

What were your expectations for New GNR when you first became familiar with the classic Buckethead lineup?

"Oh no, this great relate-able in your face rock band I love has turned into one big freakshow"

It made me extremely happy when Buckethead left and Finck changed his image.

I had this debate a million times with BH fanboys and I've given up all hope on changing their minds - but Buckethead was the worst possible fit for a band like GnR.

Edited by username

What I don't understand is I had no adverse reaction to Bucket image. Maybe it was just those times were ever band had masks and wore rubber vests. I think the pieces of the puzzle from Primus, NIN, some sort of FNM influence. Maybe bcos when they played Nightrain it sounded the same so who cares.