How to get the rest of CD released with California Labor Code Section 2855

grigori

There's a rule in California (California Labor Code Section 2855) where entertainers cannot be forced to work for any company under contract for more than 7 years. This ruling works well for musicians under contract with record companies as Don Henley had against Geffen.

I think it could be used by the former band members though. Buckethead would likely get royalties if his music was released but since it won't or can't, that becomes an impossibility and unconscionable. The former members Buckethead, Robin, could force Axl to release Chinese Leftovers (ex-Axl) to the fans delight.

450px-Bucketheadgnr.jpg

From the Classic Rock article from years ago we know that are a lot of DAT tapes from Buckethead, Robin, and the rest lying around. From (unverified) rumors I've read about some guitarist that tried out for GN'R after the first time he left, Guns N' Roses is supposed to own the creative works of musicians that agree to be paid by the band. Now that would mean that Buckethead can't really even play the notes he wrote while in the band. That must be a tremendous pain when one considers that he may have invested his best work and that it would never get released to reach any of his fan's ears.

We don't know what the band agreed to when it comes to songs they recorded at the time, and whether they're able to use solos during the sessions on their own albums, if they're no longer with the band. I don't think Axl would really care once they're out.

We don't know what the band agreed to when it comes to songs they recorded at the time, and whether they're able to use solos during the sessions on their own albums, if they're no longer with the band. I don't think Axl would really care once they're out.

Given the shit fit that Axl supposedly had over Slashes using his own material and it being used in non GNR i'd be surprised if he didnt demand to have a "intellectual property" clause/rider in his arsenal. Same as working for a computer company..if your on thier time and dime what you create is theirs to keep. Its very common in software companies to control all intellectual property.

There's a rule in California (California Labor Code Section 2855) where entertainers cannot be forced to work for any company under contract for more than 7 years. This ruling works well for musicians under contract with record companies as Don Henley had against Geffen.

I think it could be used by the former band members though. Buckethead would likely get royalties if his music was released but since it won't or can't, that becomes an impossibility and unconscionable. The former members Buckethead, Robin, could force Axl to release Chinese Leftovers (ex-Axl) to the fans delight.

450px-Bucketheadgnr.jpg

From the Classic Rock article from years ago we know that are a lot of DAT tapes from Buckethead, Robin, and the rest lying around. From (unverified) rumors I've read about some guitarist that tried out for GN'R after the first time he left, Guns N' Roses is supposed to own the creative works of musicians that agree to be paid by the band. Now that would mean that Buckethead can't really even play the notes he wrote while in the band. That must be a tremendous pain when one considers that he may have invested his best work and that it would never get released to reach any of his fan's ears.

i support the next chinese record to be robin, bucket, tommy, richard, dizzy, chris, and brain. with a few last minute tweaks put in by dj, bumble, and frank ferrer

Given the shit fit that Axl supposedly had over Slashes using his own material and it being used in non GNR i'd be surprised if he didnt demand to have a "intellectual property" clause/rider in his arsenal. Same as working for a computer company..if your on thier time and dime what you create is theirs to keep. Its very common in software companies to control all intellectual property.

No one was talking about music as intellectual property when Slash was in GnR, that's all post Napster. Maybe Axl did take Slash to court saying something used on Snakepit or VR was the property of GnR.

Kalifornia certainly has some interesting laws. This one is not so bad. Forget about owning very many exotic firearms there, unless you can tolerate "bullet buttons" and magazines holding ten rounds or less. Hehe

What exactly is your interpretation of CLC §2855 that leads you to such a conclusion?

From what I read of the law, it has absolutely no use at all in forcing a musician who pays another musician to play on a record to force its release.

The only way they could force its release is if the former employees have majority ownership of both the sound recording of the music and song publishing. But that has nothing to do with §2855.

Hey that guy has a bucket on his head!

Since his stint with Axl, Bucket emoved the 'red' from the bucket. Maybe he didn't want to end up handing cash to KFC :D

Pretty sure I read that someone stole his KFC bucket.

like it's impossible to get another kfc bucket

Hey that guy has a bucket on his head!

Since his stint with Axl, Bucket emoved the 'red' from the bucket. Maybe he didn't want to end up handing cash to KFC :D

Pretty sure I read that someone stole his KFC bucket.

like it's impossible to get another kfc bucket

The one he had was special for some reason.

how is this thread even real . . .

it's real because if axl doesn't honor the agreement he made with robin n' bucket on their unreleased material for the next 2 chinese records......robin and bucket with the courts can use a judge to order the release of their unreleased material to the public

well, i mean, i'm famliar with the labor laws in california in regards to employment agreements exceeding seven years

I'm sure you are. Don't forget to name drop yourself in this thread.

88px-Foghorn_Leghorn.png

I will try to not be rude or mean.

We all need someone like you to lead us and talk to us in a patronizing, parental, proselytizing way as if we are children. Thank you.

The premise here is the same, artists use CLC 2855 to be released from record contracts and take their creative works with them to other record companies. The short codified verbiage in CLC 2855 is from over 50 years ago, originally meant for employee actors but musicians have been successfully able to use the overall interpretation to exit recording contracts based on more than simply time. The contracts between Buckethead and Robin in theory may not have had any termination date but CLC 2855 would allow them in theory to exit the existing contract and take the the fair value of their works with them.

It is a bit of a stretch but not by much. I honestly don't think that Buckethead nor Robin have the economic means to force Axl's hand but this was option that worth exploring and discussing. Buckethead's creative works remain in the dark and may never see the light of day and Buckethead would be deprived of the expected compensation. They'll be hidden away like Nixon tapes and forgotten in the past. It is a real shame.

1249291651_buckethead1.jpg

I wasn't making fun of your weight bro. You're fucking condescending personality happens to line up exactly with the comic book store character from the Simpsons. It's an honest coincidence. I don't lie, unlike unlike you.

MSL I don't believe anything you say, ever. The only way you seem to get by in life is by lying. I don't even care if you are telling the truth. Your reputation is garbage and that's not my fault nor my problem. The information that leaves your lips or gets tapped away at your finger tips is worthless in my book.

You can repeat your dismissal ad infinitum. It doesn't really matter and you're no more of an expert than anyone else no matter how much you try to be. I take Hellobeatle's criticism, not yours.

it's real because if axl doesn't honor the agreement he made with robin n' bucket on their unreleased material for the next 2 chinese records......robin and bucket with the courts can use a judge to order the release of their unreleased material to the public

I will try to not be rude or mean.

Session musicians are paid for their time. If the material is ever released, they may also be entitled to performance royalties.

Songwriters are rarely guaranteed that their material will be released. They are entitled to a statutory mechanical royalty for each sale, but they are not guaranteed there will ever be a sale (or even a release).

Furthermore, the California labor code in question is in regards to the length of employment contracts. It has NOTHING to do with anybody being entitled to their artistic contributions being used or released.

This thread is so stupid, on so many levels, that I'm still struggling to even consider the possibility that it's not a cupcake.

Finck6, you seem like a nice fellow, so I hope this post does not come across as insulting or demeaning.

well. feels like it shortchanges the fan who wants to have unreleased material from their fav artists