Why do you dislike the members of (New) GN'R?

Vincent Vega

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

forgetting lyrics happens everyone does that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZWmbt_d76Y

check it out 4 minutes in, he fucked up the lyrics to the same song this week a fan had to help him remember the lyrics.

Yeah but is it appropriate to show up hours late, overweight, and apathetic as well?

As someone who understands the value of the dollar, I would rather save my money towards a performance where the artist seems to be enjoying themselves (i.e. U2 last year) because that makes the concert more enjoyable. Rock In Rio, well Axl didn't look like he was enjoying himself and consequently, I was not impressed.

However...

If Axl made an effort to write and perform new music, show like he cared during concerts and showed up at the promoted time, then I would be willing to give him my hard earned money. Right now I wouldn't, and if I never see him perform well I won't regret it one single bit - at all.

After Axl called Slash "Vargas" I have pretty much not supported him. I don't really have a fascination for him anymore since he lost his voice.

I don't really care about the other members except for Ashba who I don't like for being a soulless guitarist in more ways than one.

check it out 4 minutes in, he fucked up the lyrics to the same song this week a fan had to help him remember the lyrics.

1) Bruce plays a different setlist every night. On your average tour, he plays upwards of 200 different songs, many of which are one-off spontaneous covers that he's never played before and will never play again. When you do 200 songs on a tour, you're entitled to forget a line from your first album. Axl does the same setlist every night, and November Rain is his baby. Spirit is a song Bruce plays once every 5 or 6 shows, and you can bet he was the first one there to rehearse the next day after forgetting the words.

2) Don't dislike anyone in this band, though Tommy comes off as an asshole a lot of the time. Certainly earns the nickname "The General" from all I've seen and heard. Can't say I dislike him, he's just the member I'd least like to have a beer with. Dj, Bumble, and Fortus are my favorites by far. Such class acts.

I don't dislike any of them. I'd prefer Brain instead of Frank and Bucket in place of Ron but the shows I have seen with this particular lineup were great.

do you prefer robin in place of dj? i'm dreaming of robin playing TIL on this tour!

I would prefer Robin over DJ. I'll keep Ron over Bucket though. I don't really care about who drums.

i'd prefer robin too. cause of TIL. better too. street of dreams. the chinese democracy title track. basically because of the record i'd prefer robin live. robin knows the record. robin recorded the record. it be cool seeing robin perform the record live in 2012. especially TIL. would robin put a different spin on the solo? like dj does? or would robin play it perfect or better live than he did recording TIL in the studio? what would Robin do with TIL live?

I think that he would keep it close to the album. It would be nice to see him play it.

i'm praying we see robin finally perform TIL live on the current tour. i can see robin use the same passion and energy on TIL like he did on Better with the one off on the previous tour. it was a big highlight and tour stealer moment

That would be a nice surprise.

what if we ask dj on being supportive with it? would dj ask axl to give us nice treat? letting robin do the TIL solo for a couple of shows? a couple of one offs?

Yeah but is it appropriate to show up hours late, overweight, and apathetic as well?

As someone who understands the value of the dollar, I would rather save my money towards a performance where the artist seems to be enjoying themselves (i.e. U2 last year) because that makes the concert more enjoyable. Rock In Rio, well Axl didn't look like he was enjoying himself and consequently, I was not impressed.

However...

If Axl made an effort to write and perform new music, show like he cared during concerts and showed up at the promoted time, then I would be willing to give him my hard earned money. Right now I wouldn't, and if I never see him perform well I won't regret it one single bit - at all.

no i totally agree with the other points just not the forgetting lyrics

1) Bruce plays a different setlist every night. On your average tour, he plays upwards of 200 different songs, many of which are one-off spontaneous covers that he's never played before and will never play again. When you do 200 songs on a tour, you're entitled to forget a line from your first album. Axl does the same setlist every night, and November Rain is his baby. Spirit is a song Bruce plays once every 5 or 6 shows, and you can bet he was the first one there to rehearse the next day after forgetting the words.

2) Don't dislike anyone in this band, though Tommy comes off as an asshole a lot of the time. Certainly earns the nickname "The General" from all I've seen and heard. Can't say I dislike him, he's just the member I'd least like to have a beer with. Dj, Bumble, and Fortus are my favorites by far. Such class acts.

it happens to everyone lynyrd skynyrd fucked up the lyrics to sweet home alabama when i went to go see them it happens to everyone, how many times have you been singing along to one of your favorite songs and fucked up the lyrics? i have done it a couple of times :tongue2:

Beat me too it.

Bruce owns Axl. As axlslash mentioned, he changes his setlist regularly. Saw him play Barcelona twice a few weeks back. He played 11 different songs on night 2.

If Axl was smart he'd take lessons from Bruce on how to treat his fans. Bruce actually has a running website that is updated frequently. He also knows how to release albums, live DVD's and outtakes. This is all outside of his live show, which trumps all. GNR may play 3 hours, but Axl is out there for 2. Bruce plays 3 hour nights like a Boss...wait...so that's why they call him the Boss.

it happens to everyone lynyrd skynyrd fucked up the lyrics to sweet home alabama when i went to go see them it happens to everyone, how many times have you been singing along to one of your favorite songs and fucked up the lyrics? i have done it a couple of times :tongue2:

It certainly happens, it's just unprofessional in a lot of ways. Skynyrd also no longer have the singer who originally sang the song, as I recall. Axl wrote November Rain, and it is his baby. Him forgetting the words to November Rain would be like Bruce forgetting Born To Run, which I am pretty sure has never happened.

I dont have an issue with any of them, they are all very professional at what they do. Besides how could anyone not like a guy whos been in the replacements, soul asylum and gnr??

I don't hate anyone in the band.

However, I can't stand how some people fawn all over these guys (except Axl) like they're the best thing since sliced bread. If ANY of these current "band members" left tomorrow, you wouldn't give two shits about their solo albums or what they're up to, much like Robin, Buckethead, Brain, Tobias etc. (I know, I know - there will be always be the one guy on here who'll say "I CARE!!") Whatever. They just don't have the personality or chemistry that Duff, Slash and Izzy had.

At this point, they're all replaceable. I can't stand the phony love some people have on here for them. Oh, and before you slam me for being a hater, I've seen this current lineup probably 5 times, but it's for Axl, not the neverending solos, or because I enjoy hearing Bumble play the Pink Panther theme, or Stinson singing Motivation.

Wow..... Im sorry but Buckethead, had way more personality then any 'original' had seing is how duff and slash never were originals, they were from the classic lineup but not original. Fortus imo has about the same personality as Izzy had... However, Buckethead has had a great career , is often regarded as one of the best axe man ever, so i think he has done just fine since existing gnr. Finck as well. That being said, i dont get your point .... They are a fine set of musicians who have it running like a fine oiled machine. I happen to like more then 'classic' gnr, because i always felt from the live stuff i herd, (i never saw classic gnr as i was still in elementary school) was just too damn sloppy..And as far as endless solo's go, hell thats half of what is great about them, that however is just my opinion.

However, I can't stand how some people fawn all over these guys (except Axl) like they're the best thing since sliced bread. If ANY of these current "band members" left tomorrow, you wouldn't give two shits about their solo albums or what they're up to, much like Robin, Buckethead, Brain, Tobias etc. (I know, I know - there will be always be the one guy on here who'll say "I CARE!!") Whatever. They just don't have the personality or chemistry that Duff, Slash and Izzy had.

At this point, they're all replaceable. I can't stand the phony love some people have on here for them. Oh, and before you slam me for being a hater, I've seen this current lineup probably 5 times, but it's for Axl, not the neverending solos, or because I enjoy hearing Bumble play the Pink Panther theme, or Stinson singing Motivation.

I don't dislike them really, I'm sure they're all perfectly nice. Ashba seems like a bit of a poser, pretty annoying. Tommy comes off as a dick sometimes.

They're called the employees because technically they are. Axl is the boss and the guys in the band are his employees. While they may have input, Axl has total control over the vision and direction in the band, when they take action, etc. Band members other than Axl have no control over anything big picture-wise, and arguably small picture either. Now that isn't a criticism, this is a choice they all made and that's fine. They're being paid handsomely to do the thing they love most in front of thousands of people.

I wouldn't ever go as far as scabs and hacks. Well maybe Ashba, he rubs me the wrong way. His image is the worst combination of Slash, Motley Crue, and a bad Tim Burton movie and his playing sounds like a kid on youtube covering Gn'R. But otherwise the new band is a talented group of musicians.

Um....wrong on all counts. I love Buckethead's solo material, and being in GNR did a TON to boost his solo fanbase. GNR and NIN have a tremendous overlap in fanbase, including Axl and Trent being mutual fans, so Robin goes without saying. Tobias was nobody when he joined GNR, and he's still nobody.

As for the current guys, most except for Ashba who had solo careers before/during their time in GNR have built a fanbase out of their GNR tenure. Bucket and Tommy are both doing solo songs during GNR shows at this point, and most people who could name the whole lineup are getting to know their back catalogs. I guess Dj is the one exception, as people have mixed reactions to his Sixx:AM and Beautiful Creatures work. I, for one, was already a huge Ashba fan before he joined, and was thrilled when he was added. I'd be crushed if he left.

Basically, lots of people - not "that one guy" - will care. Most people who actually follow this band and know anything about the current line-up would be sad to see lots of the current line-up walk away. You're wrong.

Outside of disliking CD, I've sen a good deal of hate and bashing toward the actual members of the band, not toward their abilities but towards them in general--calling them hacks and scabs, mocking them as "The Employees", etc, almost as if the people who dislike them dislike them on a sort of personal level. If you dislike any of the members of GN'R who have been in the band since 1997, why do you dislike them? I mean criticizing a guy's playing or ability is one thing, which comes down to taste, which is totally subjective, but I've never understood the need to hate the band members as people, I mean for example the way people hate Dizzy and Bumblefoot in particular. I mean, I think Bumblefoot's gimmick is cheesy and that he's not as good as Bucket was and may not be good for GN'R (yet to be seen, really) but I don't hate him as a person.

l

I dont dislike anyone in the nuBand, They all get the job done and seem like cool peeps. That been said, there is one exception, and his name is DJ Ashba. He just cheses me out. It all looks and feels put on. He does the easier Slash stuff ok (minus the garbage he calls a bend), but his stage antics are to much...... Still not a deal breaker for

e though. I will go see this band when they are around and always be a fan of Axl Rose, the performer, but certainly not his unprofessionalism and lack of respect for paying customers.

Edited by The Wicked Hand

I like all of them except for DJ Ashba, I'm about a cunts hair away from hating the guy. Everything he does and says is such a put on, everything he stands for and represents is everything I hate about rock stars and the music industry, and he's a mediocre guitar player at best. ugh, don't even get me started on that fake piece of shit

He looks like a character in a fucking Tim Burton movie, why?

The only ones I really dislike are Finch and Dizzy. I don't like any of them, except from maybe Fortus, which I think is cool enough, but I just don't care about them and I think they're quite boring live. People say they're so fantastic live, but they really aren't. Axl is an fantastic performer and they're playing a great catalogue of songs written by another band, but to be honest, they don't play them that well. They don't have any of the attitude and energy put into it. Some of them don't even have a decent tone on their guitars. The drummer misses to catch the right groove and there's so much shit going on at the same time that you can barely hear Tommy's bass, so I can't judge that.

None of them in the current band, except from Ashba and Fortus has got any charisma or stage presence at all. They're just really boring live, even if they can play it all note for note, it just doesn't sound right when they do it.

Have you seen them live my friend? Because they're a blast. Each and every one of them has great stage presence. And their playing is nearly flawless. I know you're a reunionist and everything (and you have every right to want what you want) but you can't say they don't play well. They're one of the most solid bands out there.

Twice.

It was good concerts, but if we put it into some perspective, it wasn't that good. Not if you compare to how the real band played the songs. They put into so much more soul, energy and attitude into the music. Don't misunderstand me, I was really enjoying the concerts, but they just missed something, in my opinion.

Like I said, they can play it all note by note and it still doesn't sound nearly as good as when real GNR played it. They don't have the energy and attitude to pull off the AFD songs. Someone like Bumblefoot can play it all great, note by note, but he's got an awful tone on his guitar. Listen to the difference in the drums on songs like Mr Brownstone and You Could Be Mine.

There are lots of other examples that could be made, but there's some of them.

I just have to disagree with you man. I honestly think this band is light years ahead of the original line-up. And trust me, I LOVE the old music and the original members. It's what got me into GN'R. But I guess we'll never agree on the current line-up. Which is totally fine! You have your preference and I have mine. No need to mindlessly argue forever like some people on here!