Could this line-up of GN'R put out one of the greatest rock albums of all time?

HB3

Stop with the "no soul" argument for God's sake. It is subjective and no matter how much you try to use it against some guitar players... nobody else will feel what you feel. It is an internal subjective experience and aint a valid argument.

I've never cared about Rich as a composer but lately he made a very good impression - jams, solo spot, great playing on some released tracks, etc. For that I'm expecting a lot from him. But the real deal and really accomplished songwriters are Axl and Ron. Pitman, Tommy and Dizzy could put some great songs ideas on paper. I dont know Frank's songwriting skills but he apparently wouldnt have much to add but I could be wrong. As for DJ, well, I hope Axl and Ron - and Rich - can give a nice boost to his songs. I gave up on expecting anything amazing from him, even though some of his solos were good/great on the last Sixx:A.M. album. Maybe Axl could make an amazing solo out of several takes?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they could make one hell of a kick ass album. Greatest rock albums of all time are not made though, they happen when a lot of different factors (besides great musicianship) come together: different styles, musicianship, private life events, chemistry, conflicts, etc. are put in a record. So who knows, maybe if it all comes together at the right time. IMO.

No.

And I laughed at CD being one of the greatest albums of all time. It received good reviews for the most part but is not even in the same league as UYI I , II, and AFD. I don't think the public was ready for an over produced, synth injected, pile of shit. I'm not necessarily saying thats how I feel but generally the vibe from most of my friends or people I've talked to.

When you talk about greatest rock album of all time, AFD is up there as a contender. AFD was, like another user here said not too long ago, lightning in a bottle. It was the perfect lineup, the perfect era, the perfect time, the perfect producer, the stars had aligned for that album.

The current lineup is nowhere near that or at least they haven't shown they are. Axl is great and a fantastic song writer and miles ahead of the other guys. None of the songs on Chinese Democracy rival even the greatest rock songs of all time. I'm talking about taking off the rose colored glasses and listening to the songs without being a homer. None of the CD songs are really that special. There is no WTTJ, SCOM, or anything on the album. Some songs are good but those songs were great. If I had to really reach, I'd say TWAT had some potential and maybe Shacklers. But realistically no. Based of CD which is all I have to look at, I don't see GN'R releasing a ground breaking album with this lineup. I dont think they will ever recreate what they had in 85-91.

Edited by californiaz06

They could put out a good album, but even if Axl was incredibly inspired I doubt it would be a masterpiece. Fortus and Bumblefoot are good but they don't seem capable of writing something that not only would have to be unforgettable, but also would have to appeal to the masses. Same for Pittman, Stinson and even Dizzy. DJ Ashba is generic, nothing special about him. Ferrer is just competent.

Buckethead, Finck and Brain would stand a better chance, but only if Axl allowed them some creative control.

No chance in hell. And that has absolutely nothing to do with the band or their music.

Fact is that to make a truly classic rock album (Dark Side Of The Moon, Sgt. Pepper, Blonde On Blonde, Led Zepp IV, A Night At The Opera, Nevermind, AFD etc) you need everything that isn't in your control to come together just right. The music, the words, the world, the politics, the culture, the kids, the generations... Everything. It's not purely a matter of skills and talent. And I just don't see that happening any time soon at all, let alone for GnR. There might be some new band that hits the exact spot with some new generation at some point in time. But it won't be GnR. It'll be a new band.

There were good albums. There were great albums. But the last real classic album that made a huge cultural impact was Nevermind.

There will be good albums. There will even be great albums. But you can't force a classic.

Edited by username

No chance in hell. And that has absolutely nothing to do with the band or their music.

Fact is that to make a truly classic rock album (Dark Side Of The Moon, Sgt. Pepper, Blonde On Blonde, Led Zepp IV, A Night At The Opera, Nevermind, AFD etc) you need everything that isn't in your control to come together just right. The music, the words, the world, the politics, the culture, the kids, the generations... Everything. It's not purely a matter of skills and talent. And I just don't see that happening any time soon at all, let alone for GnR. There might be some new band that hits the exact spot with some new generation at some point in time. But it won't be GnR. It'll be a new band.

There were good albums. There were great albums. But the last real classic album that made a huge cultural impact was Nevermind.

There will be good albums. There will even be great albums. But you can't force a classic.

Great great post.

I think the band has the potential to put out a classic album though, one that stands the test of time. As long as Axl is singing on it, any album has a chance to be something special.

To be honest, I'm still surprised that so many fans don't like CD. To me it is just as good as either Illusion. One of the few albums out there that doesn't have a consesious (sp) top song on it. Talk to 10 different people and they might list 10 different songs as their "favorite" from CD. That is very unusual, and shows just how strong this album actually is.

The only correct answer to the thread title is that nobody knows.

I'm gonna go with maybe. Final answer.

Yes, but here we have one of the best frontmen ever and one of the best guitarists ever in one band. One is known for his amazing and aggressive voice and the other is known for absurd guitar skills - but if you focus only on Axl's vocals and Ron's technical skills you're missing the biggest part of their talent. In between we have Fortus, Tommy, Pitman, etc and they are great songwriters in my books. They can create something special. Ron is widely known in the guitar world as the new Zappa or the Zappa of the Heavy Metal - that never happened because of his work with Guns, or because of Chinese Democracy. He's got an amazing body of solo work that was praised by some of the big guys, including Vernon Reid, John Petrucci, Joe Satriani, Guthrie Govan, Jordan Rudess, etc. as well as several music critics and artists around the world. When someone like Guthrie Govan (who is also widely known as one of the best guitarists ever) say that you're a true guitar genius and the best guitarist in the world you've got to have something really special. Most of these forum members will never, ever get to hear - or understand - his brilliance. As a producer and singer people that worked with him mentioned on several ocasions that he's as good as a singer and producer as he is as a guitarist and that that's ridiculous even to imagine. I'm not saying I'm an expert or something like that because I am not. But I pay attention and follow everyone that gets my attention - be it a cheesy 80's guitarist or an skilled drummer from an unknown band. This way rock will never die to me because I'm always listening to new kickass music. That's why I say - fuck mainstream, people only want to earn money and ignore the best part of the music - the musicality. To the average listener an out of tune bend and a funny face is equally good as a shitty rap song. They will listen to what people want them to listen. I will never, ever give my opinion based on popularity. Another example: Shawn Lane made a much bigger impact on the guitar circles than Axl did as a vocalist. I'm sure that he was never known as one the best vocalists out there, but his frontman antics as well as his vocal style (and popularity) made him legendary. But how many known artists are influenced by him? How many guitarists are influenced by Slash? M. Shadows and Synyster Gates (who never played a note that reminded me of Slash)? Really? Shawn Lane gave alt picking (his trademark technique) a new meaning and set a new standart to overall technique and blows people's (and countless musicians') minds everyday. Ask the best new guitarists such as Bumblefoot, Buckethead, Guthrie Govan or Mattias IA - I'm sure they're all influenced by Shawn. But ask the average listener about him. Most will say "Shawn what"? The thing is that to musicians and people that matter he's known and made impact. Fuck the average listener that buys much more Justin Bieber CDs than Guns N' Roses CDs. Fuck the guys that listen to TWAT and say that Rihanna's guitarist is better than Bucket (I'm not talking about Fortus, ha). These guys will never give anyone arguments as to who or what's better. That's why most old GNR fanboys are a laughing stock outside of these forums, because they think that popularity equals quality in their minds. Let's use their logic and just agree that Justin Bieber is more famous than Hendrix nowadays and Britney Spears is better than Madonna. While we're talking about this let's all agree that Backstreet Boys made more impact than Jimi Hendrix because they sold much more CDs. Slash and Richie Sambore are much better than Eddie Van Halen and changed how most rock guitarists view the guitar because they sold waaaaay more CDs than Eddie. The Edge is greater than Blackmore. Jon Bon Jovi is much better than Ian Gillan. I could keep going but I made my point.

Sorry for the lenghty post and the lack of words but as english ain't my first language I struggle a lot to find the words the fit exactly my text. :)

Some of them even play he victim when we point out that they are cupcakes.

Lol. Well said! That's one of my favorite things about this forum laugh.gif

Yea, and they're all acting surprised when we call them haters or cupcakes. Classic.

The only correct answer to the thread title is that nobody knows.

I'm gonna go with maybe. Final answer.

Yes, but here we have one of the best frontmen ever and one of the best guitarists ever in one band. One is known for his amazing and aggressive voice and the other is known for absurd guitar skills - but if you focus only on Axl's vocals and Ron's technical skills you're missing the biggest part of their talent. In between we have Fortus, Tommy, Pitman, etc and they are great songwriters in my books. They can create something special. Ron is widely known in the guitar world as the new Zappa or the Zappa of the Heavy Metal - that never happened because of his work with Guns, or because of Chinese Democracy. He's got an amazing body of solo work that was praised by some of the big guys, including Vernon Reid, John Petrucci, Joe Satriani, Guthrie Govan, Jordan Rudess, etc. as well as several music critics and artists around the world. When someone like Guthrie Govan (who is also widely known as one of the best guitarists ever) say that you're a true guitar genius and the best guitarist in the world you've got to have something really special. Most of these forum members will never, ever get to hear - or understand - his brilliance. As a producer and singer people that worked with him mentioned on several ocasions that he's as good as a singer and producer as he is as a guitarist and that that's ridiculous even to imagine. I'm not saying I'm an expert or something like that because I am not. But I pay attention and follow everyone that gets my attention - be it a cheesy 80's guitarist or an skilled drummer from an unknown band. This way rock will never die to me because I'm always listening to new kickass music. That's why I say - fuck mainstream, people only want to earn money and ignore the best part of the music - the musicality. To the average listener an out of tune bend and a funny face is equally good as a shitty rap song. They will listen to what people want them to listen. I will never, ever give my opinion based on popularity. Another example: Shawn Lane made a much bigger impact on the guitar circles than Axl did as a vocalist. I'm sure that he was never known as one the best vocalists out there, but his frontman antics as well as his vocal style (and popularity) made him legendary. But how many known artists are influenced by him? How many guitarists are influenced by Slash? M. Shadows and Synyster Gates (who never played a note that reminded me of Slash)? Really? Shawn Lane gave alt picking (his trademark technique) a new meaning and set a new standart to overall technique and blows people's (and countless musicians') minds everyday. Ask the best new guitarists such as Bumblefoot, Buckethead, Guthrie Govan or Mattias IA - I'm sure they're all influenced by Shawn. But ask the average listener about him. Most will say "Shawn what"? The thing is that to musicians and people that matter he's known and made impact. Fuck the average listener that buys much more Justin Bieber CDs than Guns N' Roses CDs. Fuck the guys that listen to TWAT and say that Rihanna's guitarist is better than Bucket (I'm not talking about Fortus, ha). These guys will never give anyone arguments as to who or what's better. That's why most old GNR fanboys are a laughing stock outside of these forums, because they think that popularity equals quality in their minds. Let's use their logic and just agree that Justin Bieber is more famous than Hendrix nowadays and Britney Spears is better than Madonna. While we're talking about this let's all agree that Backstreet Boys made more impact than Jimi Hendrix because they sold much more CDs. Slash and Richie Sambore are much better than Eddie Van Halen and changed how most rock guitarists view the guitar because they sold waaaaay more CDs than Eddie. The Edge is greater than Blackmore. Jon Bon Jovi is much better than Ian Gillan. I could keep going but I made my point.

Sorry for the lenghty post and the lack of words but as english ain't my first language I struggle a lot to find the words the fit exactly my text. :)

Some of them even play he victim when we point out that they are cupcakes.

Lol. Well said! That's one of my favorite things about this forum laugh.gif

Yea, and they're all acting surprised when we call them haters or cupcakes. Classic.

How many times a week would you estimate that you masturbate while looking at pictures of Axl and BBF?

How many times a week would you estimate that you masturbate while looking at pictures of Axl and BBF?

Groghan you're better than that. You sound like a female dog in heat.

Stay on topic.

Fact is they are far too old to put out a classic album. At this point our only hope is the Buckethead sessions.

So what you're saying is that there is no classic album that exists made by someone that's "old"?

Edited by volcano62

Groghan, how many times a week would you estimate that you post something intelligent, meaningful and not worthless? Your ignorance towards the subject is apparent and there's no need to show it once again. I am not claiming anything as I'm mostly pointing out someone else's view on the subject. Opinions that actually have some value to a lot of people unlike all of your worthless posts.