Could this line-up of GN'R put out one of the greatest rock albums of all time?

HB3

How many times a week would you estimate that you masturbate while looking at pictures of Axl and BBF?

Groghan you're better than that. You sound like a female dog in heat.

Stay on topic.

Fact is they are far too old to put out a classic album. At this point our only hope is the Buckethead sessions.

So what you're saying is that there is no classic album that exists made by someone that's "old"?

Yes. Name me a classic album made by somebody over 40?

Edited by Randy Lahey

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. Name me a classic album made by somebody over 40?

Shit you may be right :confused:

I love CD but it's not old enough to be considered a "classic"

Most of the songs on CD were written when everyone was still under 40. And unfortunately, CD will never be viewed as a classic by anybody outside of these forums.

Edited by Randy Lahey

Groghan, how many times a week would you estimate that you post something intelligent, meaningful and not worthless? Your ignorance towards the subject is apparent and there's no need to show it once again. I am not claiming anything as I'm mostly pointing out someone else's view on the subject. Opinions that actually have some value to a lot of people unlike all of your worthless posts.

Bruno,

Everything I post is more relevant, intelligent and meaningful than anything you post. Simply because I present all sides of the issue. Your posts really mean nothing other than fan-boy adoration for a singer you worship. I give you the good, bad and ugly of a situation. Axl could show up for a show, sing one song, take a machine gun and kill half the crowd, admit to being a serial killer and that he hates puppies and kittens……and you would be on here praising his performance. Every post you make is 100% biased towards Axl and the band.

My ignorance towards this specific topic is apparent? Son, I gave an honest answer to the question. Maybe you missed that. What did you do? A 10,000 word essay about how amazing and mindblowing everybody in the band is. (I won’t even mention that most of your statements aren’t based on your own personal knowledge, but are taken straight off of websites).

But since you bring it up. Let’s just take a closer look at your drivel. I will point out your mistakes.

“One of the best guitarists ever”………..wtf? That opening sentence alone renders the rest of your post senseless.

Hendrix, Page, Clapton, Richards, Howe, Berry, Beck, Atkins, Van Halen, Johnson, Townshend, Vaughan, Harrison, Bloomfield, Cropper, BB King, Montgomery, Asheton, Edge, Les Paul, Gatton…….do I need to go on? While Bumblefoot may be an excellent guitar player, and seems to be an all around great guy, he clearly is NOT one of the greatest guitar players in the history of music.

“In between we have Fortus, Tommy, Pitman, etc and they are great songwriters in my books. They can create something special.”

Fortus is a great songwriter? What “great” songs has he ever written?

Pitman is a great songwriter? What “great” songs has he ever written?

Stinson is a great songwriter? What “great” songs has he ever written? (Weren’t most of The Replacement songs written by Westerberg?

And by “etc” you mean DJ, Brain, Frank, Dizzy……….please list 2-3 “great” songs that those guys have written.

What history of these guys has shown that they can create “something special”??????

“When someone like Guthrie Govan (who is also widely known as one of the best guitarists ever)”………What? No. While a great and interesting guitar player, I think you might be the only person who has ever publically claimed Govan to be one of the best guitarists ever.

“Most of these forum members will never, ever get to hear - or understand - his brilliance.”

What an idiotic statement. Why? Most forum members are familiar with the pre-GnR work of all the guys in the band. But please Bruno, explain the statement that most forum members will never ever “understand” BBF’s “brilliance.” Explain that sentence.

“But I pay attention and follow everyone that gets my attention - be it a cheesy 80's guitarist or an skilled drummer from an unknown band.” You say that, but then later you totally downplay other bands just because they are popular. Seems that you don’t follow your own advice. Including in your very next sentence “That's why I say - fuck mainstream” which implies that anything mainstream is automatically NOT a talented/creative band. Well, Bruno, are you aware that GnR were the most mainstream rock band in the world for several years? Are you aware that Appetite For Destruction is the greatest selling rock debut album of all time? Are you aware that GnR put out (I think it was) 9-10 singles for the Illusions? That GnR ruled the mainstream rock world for numerous years?????? Just because something is popular doesn’t automatically mean it is bad.

“I will never, ever give my opinion based on popularity.” Hahahahahah – you just wrote several paragraphs that prove the exact opposite. Almost all you talk about references the popularity level of a band.

“That's why I say - fuck mainstream”

“I will never, ever give my opinion based on popularity.”

Oh My Gosh. This is too easy. You contradict yourself in a matter of about 15 seconds.

“ Shawn Lane made a much bigger impact on the guitar circles than Axl did as a vocalist.”

Not true. Maybe if he hadn’t passed away at an early age. But this is a hard question to actually quantify. If you are talking about “influencing how others perform”…….then maybe Lane wins. Maybe. But if you are talking about “impact on music”…..then no, it’s Axl.

“That's why most old GNR fanboys are a laughing stock outside of these forums, because they think that popularity equals quality in their minds.”

Again, you are obsessed with things being popular.

I can only assume you are saying this tongue in cheek, or that you are trying to be sarcastic. This might actually be the most idiotic statement you’ve ever made on the forum.

Outside of the forum, the original GnR are 100 times more popular and relevant than the current band. In fact, fill a room of all the people that YOU think “matter” or that have opinions that you respect in the music industry and ask them who they prefer, which fan base is more credible, which band was more important, etc – and 95% of them will pick the classic GnR line-up and the classic fans.

Classic GnR fanboys love all rock music. Current Axl worshippers think the world revolves around Axl and that the old band is irrelevant.

If you are comparing the “popularity” level of Appetite and Illusions vs CD……and equating that popularity to overall music greatness, impact the album had on the music world…………hahahahah – that is an argument that isn’t even debatable. YOU LOSE.

Again, this might be the most idiotic comment that you’ve ever made on here.

“Fuck the average listener that buys much more Justin Bieber CDs than Guns N' Roses CDs. Fuck the guys that listen to TWAT and say that Rihanna's guitarist is better than Bucket (I'm not talking about Fortus, ha). These guys will never give anyone arguments as to who or what's better.” Wait…….I thought you didn’t care what was popular or what the general public thinks? And that you don’t base your opinion on what is/isn’t popular. Quite a lot of contradiction going on with you. Do you or do you not care?

And just as a side note, bashing on anything popular does not make you seem cooler or more cultured. It just makes you seem old and bitter.

“Let's use their logic and just agree that Justin Bieber is more famous than Hendrix nowadays and Britney Spears is better than Madonna. While we're talking about this let's all agree that Backstreet Boys made more impact than Jimi Hendrix because they sold much more CDs”

Please cite where you received this information.

You simply aren’t intelligent enough to differentiate between words like popular, famous, impact, etc.

Today, right now, yes, Bieber, Gagga, Britney are “more well known” to 13-year-old kids than Hendrix is. Are there any adults out there who are saying that Bieber is more talented than Hendrix???? Nope. So your hate against the youth of the world is a little misplaced. Just because some 14-year-old girl loves Just Bieber doesn’t mean that the world thinks he is more talented than Hendrix.

McDonalds sells more hamburgers than anybody in the world. Do you think that means the world thinks McDonalds has the “best” hamburgers in the world

“Slash and Richie Sambore are much better than Eddie Van Halen and changed how most rock guitarists view the guitar because they sold waaaaay more CDs than Eddie.”

Again, can you site your sources?

I’ve never seen anybody – ever – in the last 25 years say that Richie Sambora influenced or changed rock guitar players more than Eddie Van Halen did.

Can you site one source for that please? Just one?

“The Edge is greater than Blackmore. Jon Bon Jovi is much better than Ian Gillan. I could keep going but I made my point.”

Well, those two are tough. A lot of people would disagree with you on both. How do you “judge” who is better between guitar players, and between singers?

How they influenced others, quality of albums, length of careers, how successful their careers were……..then your examples are actually pretty close.

But truly, I doubt that guys like Edge, Blackmore, JBJ and Gillan even concern themselves with “who is better.” They are more concerned with putting out music for their fans. It is just fanboys like you that keep comparing musicians. It isn’t a competition. It’s music.

“Sorry for the lenghty post and the lack of words but as english ain't my first language I struggle a lot to find the words the fit exactly my text”

I’d say that the real struggle is in making points that actually make sense. Your use of the English language seems pretty good.

Bruno,

Everything I post is more relevant, intelligent and meaningful than anything you post. Simply because I present all sides of the issue. Your posts really mean nothing other than fan-boy adoration for a singer you worship. I give you the good, bad and ugly of a situation. Axl could show up for a show, sing one song, take a machine gun and kill half the crowd, admit to being a serial killer and that he hates puppies and kittens……and you would be on here praising his performance. Every post you make is 100% biased towards Axl and the band.

Oh, I just did quote you right now on another thread. Shows how two-faced you are/were. And you are annoying.

My ignorance towards this specific topic is apparent? Son, I gave an honest answer to the question. Maybe you missed that. What did you do? A 10,000 word essay about how amazing and mindblowing everybody in the band is. (I won’t even mention that most of your statements aren’t based on your own personal knowledge, but are taken straight off of websites).

You gave an honest answer but your answer is full of shit.

“One of the best guitarists ever”………..wtf? That opening sentence alone renders the rest of your post senseless.

Hendrix, Page, Clapton, Richards, Howe, Berry, Beck, Atkins, Van Halen, Johnson, Townshend, Vaughan, Harrison, Bloomfield, Cropper, BB King, Montgomery, Asheton, Edge, Les Paul, Gatton…….do I need to go on? While Bumblefoot may be an excellent guitar player, and seems to be an all around great guy, he clearly is NOT one of the greatest guitar players in the history of music.

Once again you show your ignorance. I never said "history of the music" but you brought that up because you wanted to. A great example I gave was Shawn Lane. He was not as famous as these guys but guys like Buckethead, Ron and Govan would argue that he's one of the best - if not the best - guitarists ever. He never needed to write a hit, he never needed to write shitty pop music to be recognized as one of the best. Your popularity-driven logic is so retarded and full of shit that you should be ashamed of your statements. That's what I get though, if I didn't understand what you meant please correct me.

Fortus is a great songwriter? What “great” songs has he ever written?

Stinson is a great songwriter? What “great” songs has he ever written? (Weren’t most of The Replacement songs written by Westerberg?

Pitman is a great songwriter? What “great” songs has he ever written?

Fortus - I gave examples already - his solo spot song, some songs he wrote to some artists and bands he was in, the awesome jams he's playin' with Ron live, etc. I said I'm expecting a lot from him. I know you haven't heard most of the songs I'm talking about (and I will not give you links), but whatever.

Tommy - Uh, Riad, SOD, The General (HA! I'm kidding, havent heard that one) and VGH as well as his last solo album - I'm not mentioning 'Mats here...

Pitman - If The World and Maddy? I like Silkworms as well, but we haven't heard the studio version yet. Not sure about what he wrote as a solo artist, though

As I said, the only awesome songwriters in my books are Axl and Ron, the others have potential but I'm not holding my breath - except for Stinson and maybe, I said maybe Fortus. But Fortus have yet to prove himself but judging by how he's got chemistry with Ron, I'd give him a go

And by “etc” you mean DJ, Brain, Frank, Dizzy……….please list 2-3 “great” songs that those guys have written.

Shackler's Revenge, Scraped, TWAT, Riad, SOD, I.R.S. and if we're talking about Bucket (Or Brain) the list would be much bigger - they wrote awesome tunes through the last 20 or so years.

“When someone like Guthrie Govan (who is also widely known as one of the best guitarists ever)”……… What? No. While a great and interesting guitar player, I think you might be the only person who has ever publically claimed Govan to be one of the best guitarists ever.

See? You are totally ignorant towards this subject. Do yourself a favor and Google a few statements from some monster guitar players and musicians and you'll see how pathetic you made yourself by claiming this.

“Most of these forum members will never, ever get to hear - or understand - his brilliance.”

What an idiotic statement. Why? Most forum members are familiar with the pre-GnR work of all the guys in the band. But please Bruno, explain the statement that most forum members will never ever “understand” BBF’s “brilliance.” Explain that sentence.

You certainly can't even understand what he's playing, his techniques, the way he plays some riffs and licks (and why and exactly when he plays them, why they are inventive and original, etc), his soloing, his crossgenre songwriting (In some songs he plays more styles than most musicians do in a lifetime and in a way that makes it sound beautiful, original and natural). He uses techniques that were never explored the way he does now, he created many possibilities that weren't there before. People don't view the music world like some musicians do. Can you explain me why Guthrie Govan thinks that Ron is a genius, or how Satriani says that he's a brilliant musician/guitarist and you call him a "good/great guitar player" only? What some people define as "amazing" and "mind-blowing" means shit to you because you don't know why that's "mind blowing" and "amazing, awesome" - and I'm not talking about the subjective side of the music, I'm talking about the playing, techniques and inventive ideas that Ron expressed through his playing and songwriting, I'm talking about things that you simply will never get or understand musically. I didn't know that Ron created some styles of tapping (Not mentioning the thimble tapping here), but Govan mentioned in an instructional vid of his how Ron was the one that created some tapping. I did not know that because my knowledge isn't nearly as vast as Govan's, but once he said that I got to pay more attention to that and noticed how I hadn't heard that style of playing before. Have you heard someone else play something similar sounding-wise to Ron's Turn Around tapping solo? I haven't, certainly. That's not only a nice solo (most people listen to that and like - or not), but the amazing way he plays the solo means a whole different world to guitarists.

“But I pay attention and follow everyone that gets my attention - be it a cheesy 80's guitarist or an skilled drummer from an unknown band.” You say that, but then later you totally downplay other bands just because they are popular. Seems that you don’t follow your own advice. Including in your very next sentence “That's why I say - fuck mainstream” which implies that anything mainstream is automatically NOT a talented/creative band. Well, Bruno, are you aware that GnR were the most mainstream rock band in the world for several years? Are you aware that Appetite For Destruction is the greatest selling rock debut album of all time? Are you aware that GnR put out (I think it was) 9-10 singles for the Illusions? That GnR ruled the mainstream rock world for numerous years?????? Just because something is popular doesn’t automatically mean it is bad.

“I will never, ever give my opinion based on popularity.” Hahahahahah – you just wrote several paragraphs that prove the exact opposite. Almost all you talk about references the popularity level of a band.

OK, let me try to explain in a way that you can understand. I never said "fuck the mainstream bands or musicians". I meant "fuck the mainstream - mainstream relevance will never, ever be an argument". I said "fuck the people that buy Bieber songs (...)" because these people don't listen to what's good to them but rather what MTV and YouTube tell them what they should listen. That's how some shitty songs get a lot of airplay - because the artists pay (Or paid) MTV, radio and VH1 to air their videos and singles all the time so people will buy it. You probably know that already though.

“ Shawn Lane made a much bigger impact on the guitar circles than Axl did as a vocalist.”

Not true. Maybe if he hadn’t passed away at an early age. But this is a hard question to actually quantify. If you are talking about “influencing how others perform”…….then maybe Lane wins. Maybe. But if you are talking about “impact on music”…..then no, it’s Axl.

Just like I said, guitar circles as in "guitarists". Axl had mainstream impact but he never influenced many vocalists. Again, not hard to understand this.

“Fuck the average listener that buys much more Justin Bieber CDs than Guns N' Roses CDs. Fuck the guys that listen to TWAT and say that Rihanna's guitarist is better than Bucket (I'm not talking about Fortus, ha). These guys will never give anyone arguments as to who or what's better.” Wait…….I thought you didn’t care what was popular or what the general public thinks? And that you don’t base your opinion on what is/isn’t popular. Quite a lot of contradiction going on with you. Do you or do you not care?

And just as a side note, bashing on anything popular does not make you seem cooler or more cultured. It just makes you seem old and bitter.

I think I already explained myself earlier. You seem to read other people's quotes and alter them in a way that in your little world your bullshit makes sense and you actually have valid points. My point "Fuck mainstream-driven people, they will never be an argument" means that I don't fucking care about what they think or do - fuck them for not having an opinion. I never bashed mainstream artists, cool?

And dude, regarding your last quotes, I was being sarcastic and using *THEIR LOGIC* (As in number of sales means best) to post what I wrote after that. I said that doesn't matter how much bands and artists sold, but what they brought to the music world is what matters. And please, Bon Jovi's gay ballads got nothing on Gillan's awesome singing/songwriting. I had to call you out you on this.