Will the public ever get tired of Axl?

Vincent Vega

Do you think there will come a time when the public as a whole gets tired of Axl's lateness, Axl's antics, etc, and just stops coming to the shows? For example, the other day, apparently 60% of the audience left because of Axl being late...Will there come a time when Axl will have alienated concert goers so much that 60% of the audience won't even come to begin with? That using the GN'R name won't make the public forgive his antics? Do you think there'll ever come a time when the media decides that Axl's antics aren't fun in that "crazy person fun" way and will just stop covering him--Out of apathy or indifference? Will there ever come a time when GN'R under Axl will have to resort to playing in bars or clubs almost exclusively, with the only arenas being in the big cities perhaps--Not out of choice but out of those places being the only places they can sell decently?

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

That time came years ago. His potential performances are what makes him worth the risk.

Rock is no longer about rock, it's about the last bus home for the panini brigade. Their loss is our gain.

Agreed.

no he has been doing it for years and it didnt bother me i drove to the secc as i dont drink, at the secc there was a few moaning about it but i told them axl is always late he is well known since gnr started somepeople just like to moan,

I dont think the 'public' have any interest in Axl Rose. Even back in the day when he was big, he was viewed simply as an angry nutter by the public.

The only ones remaining who could possibly get tired of Axl are the die hards. I get the impression its not about Guns N'Roses anymore, its about Axl Rose. Axl could do any thing, and the die hards would lap it up.

Edited by vaida

Do you think there will come a time when the public as a whole gets tired of Axl's lateness, Axl's antics, etc, and just stops coming to the shows? For example, the other day, apparently 60% of the audience left because of Axl being late...Will there come a time when Axl will have alienated concert goers so much that 60% of the audience won't even come to begin with? That using the GN'R name won't make the public forgive his antics? Do you think there'll ever come a time when the media decides that Axl's antics aren't fun in that "crazy person fun" way and will just stop covering him--Out of apathy or indifference? Will there ever come a time when GN'R under Axl will have to resort to playing in bars or clubs almost exclusively, with the only arenas being in the big cities perhaps--Not out of choice but out of those places being the only places they can sell decently?

I would say in certain markets like SA no, they will always be loyal. in the USA i think it has already started to an extent. In Greenville, SC prior to the day of the show just over 3K tickets were sold (thats what an arena employee told me)... but the day of the show they were offering GA tix for $20 and I would say there was approx 4 to 5K at the show in an arena that holds way more than that... and maybe 10k give or take in Orlando a few nights before both decent crowds dont get me wrong and the shows were great. I think for $20 casual rock fans will come and leave when they are ready and the diehards wil pay full price and stay. But Axl's act has become tiresome to a lot of fans and for that reason a lot dont show up to his gigs especially in the USA.

Obviously they already have. Only worshippers don't realize it.

GnR used to rule the rock music world. Their songs were hits, they sold out arenas every where.

Today? Nope.

But like somebody else said, their popularity shouldn't matter to anybody that is a fan. I'm a fan because I love the music, and not because of how popular or not popular they are.

Sometime around 92 or 93 the whole larger than life rockstar thing died a cruel death and in its place was flannel shirt pizza delivery boys with zits entertaining you. So to answer your question YES the world definitely got sic of the "Axl's" of the world. There was a time when everything Axl did seemed cool and awesome...even his longwinded rants were fucking cool to listen to... and then....suddenly everything Axl started to do seemed like a spoiled rotten brat who needed his ass beat raw.....in that moment Axl became a target.

People are gullible...and AXL keep us entertained so no way no how will people boycott his ass all the way back to the sunset strip. He doesnt seem to catch a clue nor does he seem to care to since this has plagued him and his camp since the late 80's!

Sometime around 92 or 93 the whole larger than life rockstar thing died a cruel death and in its place was flannel shirt pizza delivery boys with zits entertaining you. So to answer your question YES the world definitely got sic of the "Axl's" of the world. There was a time when everything Axl did seemed cool and awesome...even his longwinded rants were fucking cool to listen to... and then....suddenly everything Axl started to do seemed like a spoiled rotten brat who needed his ass beat raw.....in that moment Axl became a target.

People are gullible...and AXL keep us entertained so no way no how will people boycott his ass all the way back to the sunset strip. He doesnt seem to catch a clue nor does he seem to care to since this has plagued him and his camp since the late 80's!

But, are Axl's "rants" (as insightful as they sometimes were) fair to the audience? The audience comes to hear a band play, not to have a guy rant for 5-10 minutes in a stand-up esque fashion about shit...I don't think too many other rock stars pulled the "rant" stuff. Jim Morrison did once in Miami, but he was also drunk out of his mind that night. Axl ranted at pretty much every single show in the 90s and they were long, sort of show stopping stuff. I mean most rockstars will chat, in a positive way, with the audience in between songs, IE "Hello, New York City, how are all you doing tonight?" but Axl's rants were often negative, filled with venom. Or what about all the times that Axl will literally STOP a song and threaten the entire crowd that he'll leave just because of the actions of one moron in the audience? Is that fair? Yeah, you could say "Nice Boys Don't Play Rock N' Roll" but I do think there is a difference between being a bad boy larger than life rock star, and just being a knob who has no respect for the audience and won't give them common courtesy. Not only that but things like coming on late, or ranting for five minutes, or threatening to end the show early only make for a tense environment, or take the positive energy out of the show.

Edited by Indigo Miser

But, are Axl's "rants" (as insightful as they sometimes were) fair to the audience? The audience comes to hear a band play, not to have a guy rant for 5-10 minutes in a stand-up esque fashion about shit...I don't think too many other rock stars pulled the "rant" stuff. Jim Morrison did once in Miami, but he was also drunk out of his mind that night. Axl ranted at pretty much every single show in the 90s and they were long, sort of show stopping stuff. I mean most rockstars will chat, in a positive way, with the audience in between songs, IE "Hello, New York City, how are all you doing tonight?" but Axl's rants were often negative, filled with venom. Or what about all the times that Axl will literally STOP a song and threaten the entire crowd that he'll leave just because of the actions of one moron in the audience? Is that fair? Yeah, you could say "Nice Boys Don't Play Rock N' Roll" but I do think there is a difference between being a bad boy larger than life rock star, and just being a knob who has no respect for the audience and won't give them common courtesy. Not only that but things like coming on late, or ranting for five minutes, or threatening to end the show early only make for a tense environment, or take the positive energy out of the show.

The annoying thing about the rants in the 90s were that if you weren't directly in front, you heard Charlie Brown's teacher for 2-3 minutes.

Will there ever come a time when GN'R under Axl will have to resort to playing in bars or clubs almost exclusively, with the only arenas being in the big cities perhaps--Not out of choice but out of those places being the only places they can sell decently?

Maybe, maybe...

But, to be honest, his career was set and done in the early 90s. His career has managed to span 25 years so doesn't NEED to do anything. He has maybe 10 more years left of his career so if/when it does get to that point he'll probably be ready to call it quits anyway. Maybe do a short term reunion before hand (if things eventually get worked out)?

Axl does what he does. Why does he do it? Fuck if I know. But I do know that he's made his career already and anything that does or doesn't happen in the future will be a bonus.

:violin: