Dj ASHBA Spills The Beans On Life On The Road, Axl Rose And Slash’s Recent Comments

Tyler Drama

If GNR ever puts out another album I'm almost positive DJ would do way more press/PR stuff for it than Axl.

I can already hear him talking about how it buries Appetite, how it is the best work he has ever heard Axl put out, how there are 10 albums of material to be released.

This guy is a promotion whore/over exaggerater on a scale we have never seen.

robin finck wasn't like this before dj ashba was during guns n roses chinese democracy world tours

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ear thing and the raising of his arms to get people to yell that DJ does is just horribly lame. If people think what you're doing is cool or impressive you won't have to force them to yell DJ. Also he's played hundreds of shows without a top-hat but with GNR he feels the need to always wear one.... I wonder why?

The ear thing and the raising of his arms to get people to yell that DJ does is just horribly lame. If people think what you're doing is cool or impressive you won't have to force them to yell DJ. Also he's played hundreds of shows without a top-hat but with GNR he feels the need to always wear one.... I wonder why?

I agree on that top hat thing. Never bothered me until the Golden Gods Sixx:A.M. performance where he didn't use the damn top hat for the first since since 2009. That pissed me off.

I agree on that top hat thing. Never bothered me until the Golden Gods Sixx:A.M. performance where he didn't use the damn top hat for the first since since 2009. That pissed me off.

Yeah after that I started getting a little suspicious.

Yeah after that I started getting a little suspicious.

After that a part of me thinks Axl/management wants him to wear the top hat.

Of course he replaced Robin, I think that we all know that. The problem is that Fortus should have been bumped up to Robin replacement because any way that you look at it, he is far better than DJ.

Well then it shouldnt be a strange thing that DJ plays Finck's parts, that's how a replacement works. Fortus already has a role within GN'R and he doesnt just play rhythm either- he plays solos too.

Of course he replaced Robin, I think that we all know that. The problem is that Fortus should have been bumped up to Robin replacement because any way that you look at it, he is far better than DJ.

Well then it shouldnt be a strange thing that DJ plays Finck's parts, that's how a replacement works. Fortus already has a role within GN'R and he doesnt just play rhythm either- he plays solos too.

I never said it was strange. I said it was a bad choice.

I'm not quite sure where you read anything implying anything other than that.

Edit: Richard's solos are nowhere near as prominent and I'm quite sure that he could handle SCOM without having to pass it off to Ron.

Edited by Damn_Smooth

Edit: Richard's solos are nowhere near as prominent and I'm quite sure that he could handle SCOM without having to pass it off to Ron.

You ever think DJ can play the solo but it's more fun for them to trade off solos?

Have you ever been in a band? It's fuckin' cool to take turns playing riffs and solos with another guitar player (a la megadeth).

Not every guitar player has to hog the spotlight like a certain former GNR guitar player.

I have no idea why Axl chose Ashba. Producing skills maybe? I really can't figure it out.

He's marketable, he's written multiple recent #1 hits, he has a ton of cred in the industry and the producing skills don't hurt.

Marketable to who? I wasn't aware that the SixxAM fanbase was anywhere near as big as the GN'R fanbase. When whatever marketibility that he does have comes at the expense of the credibility of the band because he's running around making false statements everywhere, is it worth it?

You ever think DJ can play the solo but it's more fun for them to trade off solos?

Have you ever been in a band? It's fuckin' cool to take turns playing riffs and solos with another guitar player (a la megadeth).

Not every guitar player has to hog the spotlight like a certain former GNR guitar player.

Seeing as how he fucks up quite regularly, I'm actually not too sure that he can handle it. I have plenty of reasons to think that he can't.

I have no idea why Axl chose Ashba. Producing skills maybe? I really can't figure it out.

He's marketable, he's written multiple recent #1 hits, he has a ton of cred in the industry and the producing skills don't hurt.

Marketable to who? I wasn't aware that the SixxAM fanbase was anywhere near as big as the GN'R fanbase. When whatever marketibility that he does have comes at the expense of the credibility of the band because he's running around making false statements everywhere, is it worth it?

Seeing as how he fucks up quite regularly, I'm actually not too sure that he can handle it. I have plenty of reasons to think that he can't.

All great guitar players fuck up....eg: Ron Starship Trooper, Slash Perfect Crime solo (he never got it right) and Jungle etc...

All great guitar players fuck up....eg: Ron Starship Trooper, Slash Perfect Crime solo (he never got it right) and Jungle etc...

Haha, but there's a difference, man... one does it once because he was trying to have fun - other fucks up everytime because he's showing off. Slash did because he's the Fuckup King (People used to say he did because he was drunk or on drugs, but he does fuck up a lot recently as well...)

Edited by Bruno Poeys

He's considered to be a good looking and charismatic guy. The press likes him. Women like him. He's just considered to be a marketable guy. That's not to say Sixx: AM's fanbase is nearly the size of GNR's.

He's also written multiple recent #1 hits. The guy had a good career going before GNR. He was considered a rising star. There's a reason GNR wanted him.

What false statements is he running around making everywhere?

Seems like you just don't like the guy.

False statements like a new album will be released soon in every other interview since he joined, with still no sign that anything is actually going to happen. Plus his promises of huge surprises and new songs being played that never came to fruition.

I don't like him. I never liked Finck much either, but DJ has somehow made me miss him. In my opinion, we went from someone that fucked up Slash's songs, but could play his own; to someone that fucks up both Slash's and Robin's, and has nothing of his own to play.

He's considered to be a good looking and charismatic guy. The press likes him. Women like him. He's just considered to be a marketable guy. That's not to say Sixx: AM's fanbase is nearly the size of GNR's.

He's also written multiple recent #1 hits. The guy had a good career going before GNR. He was considered a rising star. There's a reason GNR wanted him.

False statements like a new album will be released soon in every other interview since he joined, with still no sign that anything is actually going to happen. Plus his promises of huge surprises and new songs being played that never came to fruition.

I don't like him. I never liked Finck much either, but DJ has somehow made me miss him. In my opinion, we went from someone that fucked up Slash's songs, but could play his own; to someone that fucks up both Slash's and Robin's, and has nothing of his own to play.

This I Love solo?

Ron's Starship Trooper fuckup? Are you talking about the Stormtrooper helmet at Rio? Ron's fuckups occur nowhere near as frequently as DJ's no matter how you look at it.

This I Love solo?

What about it?

i agree. dj is like obama. makes great speeches. fills your head with yummy sugarplums and heavy rock fantasies. but when you look at the track record....the results are just not there

i miss robin 2. bring back robin. robin can do better, sod, chinese democracy, twat, and TIL on this tour. finally TIL. fans wanna finally see n' hear robin do TIL live

Edited by finck6

This I Love solo?

What about it?

you said DJ has nothing of his own to play and that he is only messing up Slash's and Robin's solo. You said that even though Robin fucked up Slash's solos, he made them his own. DJ made his own This I Love solo..

This I Love solo?

What about it?

you said DJ has nothing of his own to play and that he is only messing up Slash's and Robin's solo. You said that even though Robin fucked up Slash's solos, he made them his own. DJ made his own This I Love solo..

many feel it's time dj step aside and let robin finally do TIL live at the shows

This I Love solo?

What about it?

many feel it's time dj step aside and let robin finally do TIL live at the shows

who is this 'many' you refer to? Did I miss a sample survey or something? I would venture to guess that your statement of 'many' is an unrepresentative sample

Edited by hitmanhart408

Do you have a specific quote from Ashba you can give as an example of something that upset you?

The only chance DJ has had to play his own stuff is his solos and I really love Ballad of Death and Mi Amor. If you don't, that's cool. People should like whatever they like.

I'm not saying you should like Ashba. I'm just explaining possible reasons why GNR would want him.

I am trying to hold off giving him a permanent judgement until he does have something of his own to play. I'm not doing a very good job of meeting that goal, but I'm trying.

The new music in Glasgow quote was where he completely jumped the shark for me. Why even tease that unless there's a 100% chance that it will happen? I would prefer for him not to mention new anything until he knows what's going on.

This I Love solo?

What about it?

who is this 'many' you refer to? Did I miss a sample survey or something? I would venture to guess that your statement of 'many' is an unrepresentative sample

many who bought the chinese democracy record. who saw robin live on the 2001, 2002, and 2006 chinese democracy live shows. who are curious to see if robin can top his EPIC studio solo of this i live live. who saw robin bring back the chinese democracy magic back on the one off performing "better" on the last tour. many want to know if robin can bring it on TIL live. if robin's still got it and can take rock to the next level live on TIL

Do you have a specific quote from Ashba you can give as an example of something that upset you?

The only chance DJ has had to play his own stuff is his solos and I really love Ballad of Death and Mi Amor. If you don't, that's cool. People should like whatever they like.

I'm not saying you should like Ashba. I'm just explaining possible reasons why GNR would want him.

I am trying to hold off giving him a permanent judgement until he does have something of his own to play. I'm not doing a very good job of meeting that goal, but I'm trying.

The new music in Glasgow quote was where he completely jumped the shark for me. Why even tease that unless there's a 100% chance that it will happen? I would prefer for him not to mention new anything until he knows what's going on.

I think a lot of musicians jump the gun a little bit when doing interviews. Matt Sorum talks a lot about VR plans and then they never happen. I think the difference here is that we are so use to be disappointed that when DJ or someone says something, we are all over it, and if it doesn't happen we want to throw them into exile. Just my opinion