There Was A Time @ Dublin, HD Multi-Cam

bumblecool

Credit where its due.

Axl gave it a go even though he was struggling.

BBF killed it. Fantastic solo.

I cannot imagine how fans of the song felt when they realised it was being played in front of them.

I lost my mind when they played Shackler's in Manchester but to hear T.W.A.T live would be something else entirely.

I don't think this song will be played often throughout the tour but if the band are considering it then maybe they should drop an equally difficult song for Axl to sing to give him time to prepare for it.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be curious to hear them do this song earlier in the set. I know do to it's epic nature, it kinda feels like an end-of-set song, but I'd bet Axl could do a lot better if it were, say, in the spot 'Sorry' is in. The band were nearly perfect, sans DJ's solo mess-ups, but dammit, Ron was spot on...

I'm not sure what all the bitching is about. I'd rather have a subpar performance of TWAT than a great performance of almost anything else on Chinese Democracy.

And I didn't think it was that bad. Yeah, Axl's out of breath a little bit, but he's in tune for the most part. I kept waiting to hear DJ to screw up the solo based on the comments but honestly, it's far less obnoxious than Finck's Sweet Child O' Mine solos.

TWAT is not an easy song to sing for two reasons. The first is the verses and bridges: there's no break or instrumental for Axl to catch his breath. Once he falls behind, it's impossible to catch up. Try singing it in his range the entire way through while taking minimal breaths to ensure proper reproduction. It ain't easy and I'll bet in the study his vocals were recording in parts rather than one long take. It's not Axl doesn't take liberties in other songs in terms of stopping to breath (YCBM, "While you're breakin' down my back n'"). The second reason this song is difficult to sing is the high range required to hit the outro notes he sings. It's really f'n up there, not sure there's another GNR song where he has to hit a higher note (I'm talking about the second time he sings "I would do anything for you"). And in that respect, he fucking killed it in Dublin.

I'm the last one to give Axl a pass on vocals as I have many times giving him shit for sounding like ass. But I'll give him some respect for doing a decent job with TWAT. Despite muddling through the verses and bridges, he lights it up in the outro and for me, it's definitely worth some breathing problem here and there. If Axl were to keep at it and get his breathing down properly this could be a killer song in the set.

Cheers,

Andrew

Edited by downzy

Axl sounds horrible imo, and I don't see what anyone sees in the "I would do anythings for you" they sound almost as bad as the rest of the song. Band sounds good though mind.

To be honest, I think its time half of the Chinese Democracy stuff is permenantly ditched from the setlist. Its clear he can't do Prostitute, There Was A Time, If The World, Riad etc. particularly well so should never be played again. I don't see why Catcher or IRS isn't played though...

Also, on a side issue, I love the song Sorry but it bored me shitless when I heard it live this time around. Think that should be rotated in and out of the setlist.

The band are extremely tight, but I can't get past the ninety second mark. Axl sounds awful. He has flashes of greatness, but this song ripped him up and spat him out. One of my favorite tunes on CD, but it just shouldn't be performed anymore.

Guest Sleeping Like An Angel

the verses sound bad, but the " i would do anything for you" sound fucking great.

I agree.

Think about it logically though. Sing the verses yourself. It's really fast and you have to take your breaths on time or you'll mess up. Add in being a 50 year old plus it being towards towards the end of a 3 hour set and you get the picture. He just needs some practice if you ask me.

I just dont get all these comments saying axl sounds bad here.

I was at the Birmingham show and i was preying for this baby to be played all night....i had a great time but hearing twat live would have made my fuckin decade...

Edited by gavgnr

voice does not sound very good but the rest of the band killed it

nice

Was thinking the same. I'm glad Dublin got the song, it was a treat for them after the catastrophe of what happened there last time. But I don't expect to hear this song again soon. It's a shame because it's the only one I like from CD.