Kirk Hammet: "we can't stop touring"

ChristianGNR

Those guys have made TONS of money. Half these celebrities just spend their money faster than they earn it.....

This.

La dolce vita is expen$ive to support and Axl besides his own rock star persona, still has to support an endless entourage of 'assistants' like Del James, Beta & family, etc... U gotta make a lotta of bucks to run that kind of show... :confused:

Edited by trqster

Those guys have made TONS of money. Half these celebrities just spend their money faster than they earn it.....

Yeah, but that's not the question right now.

He is just sayin that music is very different right now. They can't just use the royalties to make money. They HAVE to do shows.

He is just sayin that music is very different right now. They can't just use the royalties to make money. They HAVE to do shows.

They should have enough money that they never have to do another damn thing if they choose not to. If they HAVE to do shows because they need the cash, it's because they blow their money. I don't feel sorry for them....at all.

They should have enough money that they never have to do another damn thing if they choose not to. If they HAVE to do shows because they need the cash, it's because they blow their money. I don't feel sorry for them....at all.

Neither do I, but just because they made a lot of money in the past does not mean they can't money TODAY.

Just sayin that the old style of making money in music has changed.

Edited by ChrisMaciel

He said that Metallica can't stop doing shows and tours, even if the band members wanted to.

The reason: MONEY.

It's impossible nowadays to take a break or stop for 2, 3 years just to release a CD.

Probably explains why axl could care less about releasing new music..

IMO if he cared about his fans at all he would release new music, so what does that tell ya?!

He said that Metallica can't stop doing shows and tours, even if the band members wanted to.

It's impossible nowadays to take a break or stop for 2, 3 years just to release a CD.

I think when people read this they take the comments out of context. IMO what he's saying is that in-order for the band/ business that is Metallica to continue to generate substantial revenue they have to tour. unlike the old days when touring was done to help sell records and lots of revenue was generated from album sales.

He's not saying that they dont have enough money personally do to whatever they want, he's saying for the business to have money they have to tour. Like when Axl sued Azoff and said they lost 700K on the Canada tour. that doesnt mean the canadian tour was in the hole 700K, it just means they made 700K less than projected, although for all i know the tour could have been in the red 700K but if it was i doubt they would have been able to cont.

I think when people read this they take the comments out of context. IMO what he's saying is that in-order for the band/ business that is Metallica to continue to generate substantial revenue they have to tour. unlike the old days when touring was done to help sell records and lots of revenue was generated from album sales.

He's not saying that they dont have enough money personally do to whatever they want, he's saying for the business to have money they have to tour. Like when Axl sued Azoff and said they lost 700K on the Canada tour. that doesnt mean the canadian tour was in the hole 700K, it just means they made 700K less than projected, although for all i know the tour could have been in the red 700K but if it was i doubt they would have been able to cont.

This!

Did he say specifically that the reason was money?

I believe money is the main reason as well. I mean, when you think about it there is not a whole lot to gain by recording a new album and I think Axl is knows this. There is cost involved with recording and promotion. Then there is the legal fees and lawsuits etc. A chance the album will not get the response it deserves. I would love nothing more than hearing new material but I am a realist. It's not 1990 anymore. Those days of selling 10million cds at 25 bucks a pop are gone. I actually feel bad for today's young artists, they probably have no idea what it was like. Instead of selling 10million cds they are getting 50million hits on YouTube and touring their asses off to pay the small army they employ. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they do alright but i don't think it's the gravy train it once was. Axl is taking the safe steady income streams of touring and I can't say I would do any different if I was blessed with his talent. I do feel the current members of gnr have a lot of recording left in them but Axl is the CEO and he is playing it safe. I think it's the same with interviews, I mean what is there to gain. Will an interview sell that many more seats to a show? But then again, this is pure speculation on my part as I am not in the music business nor do I have any idea how gnr operates.

artists never made a lot of money from record sales, even when selling millions and millions. Artists got like $2 from each album sold, which doesn't work out to very much when split 8 ways or wherever. Sure you might make a few million bucks off a record, but that's really just peanuts these days.

artists never made a lot of money from record sales, even when selling millions and millions. Artists got like $2 from each album sold, which doesn't work out to very much when split 8 ways or wherever. Sure you might make a few million bucks off a record, but that's really just peanuts these days.

Peanuts? Care to give me a couple million?

Of course they need money. Everyone thinks that rock stars have shit tons of money just leaking out all over the place, but the reality is that even "rich" people have bills too - it's all relative.

Here's the source: http://www.nme.com/news/metallica/64054

Eddie Trunk talked about this. A lot of artists have to be out on the road if they want to make money. I have no idea how Enya or Kate Bush make money because they're strictly studio musicians.

Metallica would do themselves a favor to shut up when it comes to the business side of music. So in order to keep up their millionaire lifestyle they have to go on tour, where they have any little thing they want provided for them so they'll be comfortable and happy while making their millions. I assume they're accustomed to a certain life style and would like to keep that rolling but don't act like you're some broke artist forced to live on the road to make any money.

How do royalties work? Let's say Axl decided to quit everything tomorrow. No touring, no new music, he just wanted to sit at home and not work again. Would he be getting a weekly/bi-weekly royalty check?

Edited by Modano09

Metallica would do themselves a favor to shut up when it comes to the business side of music. So in order to keep up their millionaire lifestyle they have to go on tour, where they have any little thing they want provided for them so they'll be comfortable and happy while making their millions. I assume they're accustomed to a certain life style and would like to keep that rolling but don't act like you're some broke artist forced to live on the road to make any money.

How do royalties work? Let's say Axl decided to quit everything tomorrow. No touring, no new music, he just wanted to sit at home and not work again. Would he be getting a weekly/bi-weekly royalty check?

They don't get money that frequently. It's more like quarterly or annually. Some people have tweeted their royalty checks from downloads, the paper it was printed on was worth more than the royalty check.

That's 100% correct. The more people make, the more they spend. If I made as much as these guys do in one year, I could probably retire. You know why? Because all I need is a mediocre life to be happy.

Royalties come in a few different ways... GnR songs are played everywhere from the radio to movies to sporting events or TV Show... My friend in radio told my band royalties are figured out this way... each year there is a designated time that they keep track of what songs are played and how often and that is how a radio station will figure up the royalties that they owe. A band like GnR probably does pretty good off royalties of their back catalog