Can you please teach me on how Sweet Child O Mine sounds 'circus' like?

zabrak999

I can definitely hear the circus fanfare sound in the riff, but.....I can't put my finger on it!

Is there a certain scale that is done in circus fanfare or something that sounds reminiscent of sweet child o mine?

Anyway, I'm asking because I'm wanting to create a killer guitar riff that's similar to nursery rhymes. You know, I'm wanting the riff to sound really nostalgic and timeless.

But to do so, I'm trying to figure out how Slash pulled off a circus sounding theme...I know Circus music is kind of wacky sounding...And the riff to sweet child is...I dont' know

Mind explaining it to me??

here's one clip of what i'm talking about...

I can definitely hear the circus fanfare sound in the riff, but.....I can't put my finger on it!

Is there a certain scale that is done in circus fanfare or something that sounds reminiscent of sweet child o mine?

Anyway, I'm asking because I'm wanting to create a killer guitar riff that's similar to nursery rhymes. You know, I'm wanting the riff to sound really nostalgic and timeless.

But to do so, I'm trying to figure out how Slash pulled off a circus sounding theme...I know Circus music is kind of wacky sounding...And the riff to sweet child is...I dont' know

You have issues

You could prob ask Duff, Slash or Steven the next time they're on Twitter what they meant, but to me, you know the Doors "Whiskey Bar", just picture playing the intro to SCOM to that, and I think that's what they did. If you have a keyboard or can do the effect on your guitar, see if it would sound like circus music.

That would be a seriously weird mashup, and I think it would fail - Whiskey Bar with SCOM... .but that would be a fun one to experiment with.

And don't bother looking up SCOM Polka version...

Edited by dalsh327

Anybody know?

I can't be the only one who hears the circus fanfare kind of a theme in the intro....

but i'm wondering WHY that is!

is there a certain scale for circus music that sounds like that...or...what?

is it the up-and-down style of circus music that gets it to sound like sweet child o mine, or...?

Billy Smart's Circus visited the Stoke area in the Summer of 1969 I believe, so it is plausible that a 4 year old Slash visited the circus that Summer, and the sights and sounds have remained with him ever since. Also, it is worth pointing the Top Hat is synomynous with ringmasters, and is one of the many images we relate to the circus.

It is possible that later in life, Slash's slightly mixed up memory of circus music inspired the riff to SCOM

I don't know, but I certainly hear circus in 'Get In The Ring'.

And that goes for all of you punks in the press

That want to start shit by printin' lies instead of the things we said

That means you andy secher at hit parader, circus magazine

Mick wall at kerrang, bob guccione jr. at spin

What you pissed off 'cause your dad gets more pussy than you?

Fuck you! suck my fuckin' dick!

The main riff played as it is in the song is not the 'circus' riff he created. Originally he played the riff backwards just messing around. Then the other guys told him to play it "backwards" (relative to how he was playing it then) and it became the SCOM riff.

The main riff played as it is in the song is not the 'circus' riff he created. Originally he played the riff backwards just messing around. Then the other guys told him to play it "backwards" (relative to how he was playing it then) and it became the SCOM riff.

My guess is that when he was playing it as an "exercise" he was just playing it in D. Meaning it was the first bar being played over and over again. Once Izzy added the chords, he probably changed the starting note of the riff to the root note of Izzy's chords so it developed a bit of a melody. But if he was just playing in D over and over again it would have that repetitive circus sound of moving around and around the notes of a D chord (D, F# and A).

You have issues

+1

wow you guys are lame! (except for hellobeatle)

doesn't anybody here play guitar?

Anyway, I figured it out!

It's because he plays it like a calliope. The way the riff just repeats with only the bass note going up and down.....

There is a hint of it in the pitch, but also in how long is note is played and the steady breathing room inbetween.

You have issues

:rofl-lol: