This is Guns n' Roses right here

Tabitha27

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if this settles the debate about writing "hits," but here's the details:

Chinese Democracy (the song)

U.S. Billboard Hot 100 ................................ 34

U.S. Billboard Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks .... 5

U.S. Billboard Hot Modern Rock Tracks ........ 24

Better

U.S. Billboard Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks .... 3

Fall to Pieces

US Billboard Hot 100[4] ............................ 67

US Billboard Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks ..... 1

US Billboard Alternative Songs ..................... 2

Adult Top 40 ............................................. 25

Slither

Mainstream Rock Tracks ............................. 1

Modern Rock Tracks ................................... 1

The Billboard Hot 100 ............................... 56

Dirty Little Thing

Mainstream Rock Tracks ............................ 8

Modern Rock Tracks ................................ 18

She Builds Quick Machines

Billboard Mainstream Rock Tracks ............. 2

Billboard Modern Rock Tracks .................. 14

The Last Fight

Billboard Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks ...... 16

Edited by downzy

Young Gun -

I have never denied that GNR's lineup performing as an Axl Rose solo project would be noticeably less commercially viable. However, when some users try to make the case that Axl has been a failure without Slash, it's a bit silly to take that position when GNR is doing big business around the world.

I am not anti-Slash. I saw him in concert a few weeks ago. I bought his new album (and love it!).

But when someone tries to criticize Axl's commercial success since splitting with Slash, it's certainly relevant to bring up that Axl is far more successful than Slash.

However, I don't care! I don't look at it as a competition. I love Chinese Democracy. I love Apocalyptic Love. Hell, I loved Loaded's last album. I am a very happy camper!

But, when a bitter ex-fan tries to turn it into a competition, I'm not afraid to put them in their place by pointing out that Axl won. Not that any of us should care. We are fans. Either we enjoy the music or we don't.

But if some cupcake wants to start talking business as a way to bash Axl, well, it's a silly tactic because business wise, Axl blows the former gunners out of the water.

Not sure if this settles the debate about writing "hits," but here's the details:

Well the question was not who had more hits. The issue was Randy claiming Axl had ZERO. Obviously that's not true.

Wow I was like, two hundred posts ahead of you last week. Insane.

Randy is obviously trolling by the way. I'm not sure why you guys even attempt to argue with some of the people's logic on here.

Edited by iftheworld

Young Gun -

I have never denied that GNR's lineup performing as an Axl Rose solo project would be noticeably less commercially viable. However, when some users try to make the case that Axl has been a failure without Slash, it's a bit silly to take that position when GNR is doing big business around the world.

I am not anti-Slash. I saw him in concert a few weeks ago. I bought his new album (and love it!).

But when someone tries to criticize Axl's commercial success since splitting with Slash, it's certainly relevant to bring up that Axl is far more successful than Slash.

However, I don't care! I don't look at it as a competition. I love Chinese Democracy. I love Apocalyptic Love. Hell, I loved Loaded's last album. I am a very happy camper!

But, when a bitter ex-fan tries to turn it into a competition, I'm not afraid to put them in their place by pointing out that Axl won. Not that any of us should care. We are fans. Either we enjoy the music or we don't.

But if some cupcake wants to start talking business as a way to bash Axl, well, it's a silly tactic because business wise, Axl blows the former gunners out of the water.

Well the question was not who had more hits. The issue was Randy claiming Axl had ZERO. Obviously that's not true.

But we both know there is a difference between not denying something and not actually mentioning it. That's what I'm getting at. I can understand that you wanted to beat down some cupcakes and whatnot, but I think you would look a lot less biased if you included both sides in your argument.

Bringing up the fact the Axl is far more successful than Slash would only have merit if the grounds were equal, which they obviously are not. The Guns N' Roses name still has peoples hearts around the world, no matter who is in the band. Naturally people tend to get attached to the lead singer easier than the guitarist in any band, which certainly helps Axl out. I just don't agree with the whole "Slash sold 600 seats, Axl sold 7,000. Axl is better" thing as Slash is not the one touring under Guns N' Roses.

Again, my previous post was not just in regards to the Randy comments, I can agree that he was not correct in his statements too. Thanks for clearing some of this up.

Edited by Young_Gun

It wouldn't be the same BUT....if Izzy and Axl wrote most of the songs for a new album? It would still be pretty damn good. When you listen to some of Izzy's work over the years it's just screaming for Axl's vocals. The same for Axl's songs. Some people like the new sound but for those wanting a more classic vibe, Izzy would be more than enough to pull it off.

Edited by combos

It wouldn't be the same BUT....if Izzy and Axl wrote most of the songs for a new album? It would still be pretty damn good. When you listen to some of Izzy's work over the years it's just screaming for Axl's vocals. The same for Axl's songs. Some people like the new sound but for those wanting a more classic vibe, Izzy would be more than enough to pull it off.

But it would still lack the energy. CD has hardly any. Any attempt at it is just layers and layers of layers. Izzy brings good skills but wildness, eh, it's missing.

Great post. I have never really believed in the Izzy Renaissance myself. To me Slash was the better songwriter and way more important.

I'm intrigued by your opinion and would like to know more. What are some of your favorite "Slash" songs? Songs that he was the primary writer of.

What are you talking ablout? Izzy didn't play on all the songs on UYI. Izzy is great! But Slash made the band. FACT.

I do agree that Axl and Izzy personify Guns N' Roses more than Slash and Duff do. Steven is irrelevant.

I don't know if it's pity or what, but I don't see how the "real" GNR needs to include Steven. I always liked Matt more. I don't have a lot of sympathy for the guy - the majority of the band was fucked up on something every day and this guy managed to go to far. That takes some talent.

I do agree that Axl and Izzy personify Guns N' Roses more than Slash and Duff do. Steven is irrelevant.

I don't know if it's pity or what, but I don't see how the "real" GNR needs to include Steven. I always liked Matt more. I don't have a lot of sympathy for the guy - the majority of the band was fucked up on something every day and this guy managed to go to far. That takes some talent.

Yep. At the end of the day, if the other four got together and had John Smith on drums, only 5 people would give a shit about Steven's absence.

What are you talking ablout? Izzy didn't play on all the songs on UYI. Izzy is great! But Slash made the band. FACT.

Who "made" the band would be a matter of opinion, not a matter of fact. You may be confused about the meaning of the word "fact."

Izzy may not have played on all of the UYI songs, but he wrote 12 of them, whereas Slash only wrote 9.

Slash "wrote" 9 songs? Which 9 are we talking about?

But it would still lack the energy. CD has hardly any. Any attempt at it is just layers and layers of layers. Izzy brings good skills but wildness, eh, it's missing.

What do you mean by "energy"? Like angry, aggressive music?

The nine UYI songs Slash co-wrote are:

Dust N' Bones

Perfect Crime

Garden Of Eden

Don't Damn Me

Bad Apples

Coma

Civil War

Get In the Ring

Locomotive

Both Perfect Crime and Dust N' Bones was brought in by Izzy: http://www.a-4-d.com/t102-dust-n-bones#120 http://www.a-4-d.com/t108-perfect-crime#126 and I am not convinced Duff isn't the main writer of Get In The Ring: http://www.a-4-d.com/t126-get-in-the-ring#144

EDIT: Oops, I thought you talked about songs that Slash wrote himself, not co-wrote...

Edited by SoulMonster

Dust N' Bones

Perfect Crime

Garden Of Eden

Don't Damn Me

Bad Apples

Coma

Civil War

Get In the Ring

Locomotive

Ahh, but you didn't say "co" wrote. You said wrote. There's a big difference chachi lol

lol, if we're going to talk about who brought in what or who started what, it's not going to be pretty for slash. was trying to give him as much credit as possible.

Yeah, you were being too kind.

If we really are to talk about songs Slash wrote, as in bringing in more or less completed to the band, then Coma, Bad Apples, Don't Damn Me and perhaps Civil War, Garden of Eden and Locomotive (except for the coda and except for Slash himself saying he wrote the song with Izzy), are the only ones as far as I know. That is 3 confirmed songs, possibly 6 in total. And then of course he added guitar parts and solos to many other songs.

Edited by SoulMonster

Who "made" the band would be a matter of opinion, not a matter of fact. You may be confused about the meaning of the word "fact."

Izzy may not have played on all of the UYI songs, but he wrote 12 of them, whereas Slash only wrote 9.

What do you mean by "energy"? Like angry, aggressive music?

Songs with an edge. Songs like Right next door to hell that would build up and explode in your face. Or songs with a strong tone to them like Coma. CD seems to lack anything that is moving unless you're the type always looking to cry.

lol, if we're going to talk about who brought in what or who started what, it's not going to be pretty for slash. was trying to give him as much credit as possible.

If we really are to talk about songs Slash wrote, as in bringing in more or less completed to the band, then Coma, Bad Apples, Don't Damn Me and perhaps Civil War, Garden of Eden and Locomotive (except for the coda and except for Slash himself saying he wrote the song with Izzy), are the only ones as far as I know. That is 3 confirmed songs, possibly 6 in total. And then of course he added guitar parts and solos to many other songs.

...and Coma, Bad Apples, and Don't Damn Me are the stupidest songs that lineup ever turned out. :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol:

I'm not saying that Slash wasn't an important part of GNR's image and sound, but Axl and Izzy were the key forces behind AFD, Lies, and UYI. If Axl and Izzy would start writing together more, I think GNR would sound more like GNR and less like The Axl Rose Band.

Edited by nambis

...and Coma, Bad Apples, and Don't Damn Me are the stupidest songs that lineup ever turned out. :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol:

:huh:

Dust N' Bones

Perfect Crime

Garden Of Eden

Don't Damn Me

Bad Apples

Coma

Civil War

Get In the Ring

Locomotive

Ahh, but you didn't say "co" wrote. You said wrote. There's a big difference chachi lol

Not really. What song did any band member create every bit of music for? Notice on MSL's list Estranged isn't even mentioned though the guitars which Axl didn't write are what dominates the entire song? This is why who wrote what, who co-wrote what, who did this, who did that, is all games of semantics and truthfully when you look at the whole... they were all very important. Sweet Child wouldn't be half as cool without Axl's breakdown and lyrics, Slash's guitar, Duff's bass, the list goes on for all the songs.

Even saying Axl wrote Estranged all by himself is just as silly as saying Slash wrote Locomotive all by himself.

Dust N' Bones

Perfect Crime

Garden Of Eden

Don't Damn Me

Bad Apples

Coma

Civil War

Get In the Ring

Locomotive

Not really. What song did any band member create every bit of music for? Notice on MSL's list Estranged isn't even mentioned though the guitars which Axl didn't write are what dominates the entire song? This is why who wrote what, who co-wrote what, who did this, who did that, is all games of semantics and truthfully when you look at the whole... they were all very important. Sweet Child wouldn't be half as cool without Axl's breakdown and lyrics, Slash's guitar, Duff's bass, the list goes on for all the songs.

Even saying Axl wrote Estranged all by himself is just as silly as saying Slash wrote Locomotive all by himself.

Axl did write Estranged....Slash added his guitar parts which are cool of course.