Life after GnR

maynard

They will all just drift away and people will remember GNR as they once were in the AFD and Illusion glory days.

Not. This will just be a fraction of their legacy.

We all know that, sadly, GNR won't last for much longer.

We do???

I stopped reading after that first sentence. Obviously, this is a cupcake attempt, or you're just bitter.

You really think Axl will tour after 2022?

I can see him doing slower shit and more piano songs.

Edited by volcano62

People may laugh at this- but since Axl owns the "Guns N' Roses" name- why not continuously hire new band members (including a vocalist!) as others age/move-on etc. and keep it rolling on forever with Axl acting as the "creative director" of sorts behind-the-scenes. He could tour it as "The Guns N' Roses Experience" or whatever. Wanna see what it was like with the AFD line-up in their prime? Hire 5 guys who look and have the chops to play the part- put them through rigorous "GN'R training"/indoctrination (led by Axl) and roll it out as a theater show (at least). I bet it would do good business if scaled properly- just as a similar type "Rolling Stones Experience" or "Led Zeppelin Experience" type show (if at the close direction of Mick/Keith and Page/Plant and done well) would do great business IMHO. I know I'd drop some coin to in essence "time travel" back to a 1960's/1970's London "show" of those bands in their prime (fully understanding that it could never be as great as actually being there- but grateful for the fact that it was a heck of a lot better than having absolutely no clue what it may have been like).

Frankly, this is precisely what went through my head during the Eddie Trunk/Howard Stern interview where they discussed the crucial importance of "controlling the name". It's gotta be Axl's most valuable asset and if he can still make a good return on it in his 60's and beyond (God-willing)- why the hell not? If you think about it- he's already been re-creating the "GN'R Experience/vibe" for 15+ years... and has done a hell of a good job IMHO...

The one obstacle (and it's likely a major one I admit) would be to get Slash, Duff, etc. to sign off on their "likeness" (impersonation) being used in the show. Axl would probably need to deal them in on the return or find some other way around the issue...

They continue being musicians. Maybe an offshoot band will come out of it, but I'm sure some of them will work with each other. Logistics - you do have Ferrer, Thal and Stinson relatively close when they're not on the road.

We all know that, sadly, GNR won't last for much longer. We may have some albums and tours delivered on the next 10 years but after that, only the legacy will remain.

So, I ask you: How do you see the life of the current members of the band after the band finishes?

I can see guys like Richrad and Frank doing what they do best. They'll probably tour and record as session musicians.

Ron, Dizzy and Tommy have their own bands and will probably play rock n' roll in smaller venues and release one album here and there.

DJ is always busy so I guess he will still be active for a long time.

I have no idea what Chris would be up to. He looks like to prefer more studio work than a live band environment so maybe he will be a producer full time.

I believe these guys have money enough by now to have a great life but I also believe they all love music and will always find a way to do what they love.

Are they capable of filling arenas by themselves?

Can they still make their marks on the history of music?

From all the former members of the band, I'm really interested in what Robin Finck is up to, but Robin lives in his own world so I don't know what to expect from him. Buckethead has released great stuff as always since leaving GNR.

I left Axl out of the discussion. I can't even imagine what Axl will do when he "retires". It's hard to imagine an Axl Rose solo album with guests like Slash did, but that would be cool.

If this is an old discussion, sorry. It's interesting to think about these guys in 10-15 years and kinda sad to know that GnR will be just history some day and that day is not so far, if you think about it.

People may laugh at this- but since Axl owns the "Guns N' Roses" name- why not continuously hire new band members (including a vocalist!) as others age/move-on etc. and keep it rolling on forever with Axl acting as the "creative director" of sorts behind-the-scenes. He could tour it as "The Guns N' Roses Experience" or whatever. Wanna see what it was like with the AFD line-up in their prime? Hire 5 guys who look and have the chops to play the part- put them through rigorous "GN'R training"/indoctrination (led by Axl) and roll it out as a theater show (at least). I bet it would do good business if scaled properly- just as a similar type "Rolling Stones Experience" or "Led Zeppelin Experience" type show (if at the close direction of Mick/Keith and Page/Plant and done well) would do great business IMHO. I know I'd drop some coin to in essence "time travel" back to a 1960's/1970's London "show" of those bands in their prime (fully understanding that it could never be as great as actually being there- but grateful for the fact that it was a heck of a lot better than having absolutely no clue what it may have been like).

Frankly, this is precisely what went through my head during the Eddie Trunk/Howard Stern interview where they discussed the crucial importance of "controlling the name". It's gotta be Axl's most valuable asset and if he can still make a good return on it in his 60's and beyond (God-willing)- why the hell not? If you think about it- he's already been re-creating the "GN'R Experience/vibe" for 15+ years... and has done a hell of a good job IMHO...

The one obstacle (and it's likely a major one I admit) would be to get Slash, Duff, etc. to sign off on their "likeness" (impersonation) being used in the show. Axl would probably need to deal them in on the return or find some other way around the issue...

What a great idea man!

Personally I would be more interested in if I will care in 15 years. There will be lots for me to focus on. Liver spots, cocoa, incontinence, memory loss, comfy chairs.

GnRs fan base is getting old :lol:

There is only one alternative to getting old,Cobain found it.

I'm 49 going on 18 and can outparty,outdrink,and act just as stubborn and stupid as guys half my age! Well preserved and good genetics :)

You're 49? Wouldn't have thought it..

Personally I would be more interested in if I will care in 15 years. There will be lots for me to focus on. Liver spots, cocoa, incontinence, memory loss, comfy chairs.

GnRs fan base is getting old :lol:

There is only one alternative to getting old,Cobain found it.

I'm 49 going on 18 and can outparty,outdrink,and act just as stubborn and stupid as guys half my age! Well preserved and good genetics :)

You're 49? Wouldn't have thought it..

Sailaway is older than my dad! :blink:

RESPECT -_-

What a great idea man!

HAHA. Hey thanks man. It's a bit nuts for sure- BUT if I'm on Axl's financial team- I know I would definitely be pushing him to think a bit "outside the box" when it comes to using the "name" long-term. I think there well could be a strong market for touring shows/"experiences" of all-time great rock bands. Especially with modern rock so moribund and pathetic for the most part. Just imagine being able to "go" to a "Beatles" show or something for example. The music is timeless and you could have a perpetually re-generating line-up of "Axl's", "Slash's", etc. that remain 25-31 forever and never have creative differences or whatever and just bring a whole "GN'R experience" to future generations. Perhaps the coolest thing about it- is that I think it could really appeal to Axl's creative side and maybe could be the type of thing he could work closely on with Izzy. What a GREAT "retirement" that would be. rock2