Is it critical for Axl to have big hit songs on the next GNR record?

Randy Lahey

axl had big hit songs with the chinese democracy record. the hit songs being robin's better. bucket's if the world. robin's & bucket's twat. robin's street of dreams. bucket's prostitute. and robin's TIL. but axl never released them as singles

Both Street of Dreams and Better were released as singles. They weren't hits clearly or you would have noticed! :lol:

Watching em' like a Shithawk!

*cough* CD sucks! *cough*

*runs and hides* :ph34r:

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

axl had big hit songs with the chinese democracy record. the hit songs being robin's better. bucket's if the world. robin's & bucket's twat. robin's street of dreams. bucket's prostitute. and robin's TIL. but axl never released them as singles

Both Street of Dreams and Better were released as singles. They weren't hits clearly or you would have noticed! :lol:

Watching em' like a Shithawk!

*cough* CD sucks! *cough*

*runs and hides* :ph34r:

robin's street of dreams & robin's better wasn't released as singles. i never heard them on radio. they didn't chart on billboard.com. robin wasn't around 2 promote his great works.

robin's street of dreams & robin's better wasn't released as singles. i never heard them on radio. they didn't chart on billboard.com. robin wasn't around 2 promote his great works.

They were released as singles, they just didn't do very well in terms of sales!

"Better" is a song by American rock band Guns N' Roses, featured on their 2008 sixth studio album Chinese Democracy. It was released as the second single from the album, after "Chinese Democracy", on November 17, 2008.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Better_(Guns_N'_Roses_song)

"Street of Dreams" is a song by the American rock band Guns N' Roses, featured on their 2008 album Chinese Democracy. The song is the fourth song on the album and the third single from it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_of_Dreams_(Guns_N'_Roses_song)

Also are you that "Prostitutes" guy that used to post over at Gunsn'f'n'Roses? I'd recognise that posting style a mile off!

Edited by Dazey

They were released as singles, they just didn't do very well in terms of sales!

"Better" is a song by American rock band Guns N' Roses, featured on their 2008 sixth studio album Chinese Democracy. It was released as the second single from the album, after "Chinese Democracy", on November 17, 2008.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Better_(Guns_N'_Roses_song)

"Street of Dreams" is a song by the American rock band Guns N' Roses, featured on their 2008 album Chinese Democracy. The song is the fourth song on the album and the third single from it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_of_Dreams_(Guns_N'_Roses_song)

Also are you that "Prostitutes" guy that used to post over at Gunsn'f'n'Roses? I'd recognise that posting style a mile off!

were they released in secret? i didn't notice robin's great works released as singles. i don't even know if robin knew. robin wasn't there to promote them or do interviews for his songs. i don't buy they were singles. the title track was a single. but it had little 2 no promotion. so that didn't well. when you don't promote something you don't have success. it's disappointing because the title track riff and solo is robin finck too

were they released in secret? i didn't notice robin's great works released as singles. i don't even know if robin knew. robin wasn't there to promote them or do interviews for his songs. i don't buy they were singles. the title track was a single. but it had little 2 no promotion. so that didn't well. when you don't promote something you don't have success. it's disappointing because the title track riff and solo is robin finck too

The title track was a pile of shit which may have had something to do with it selling like crap. The other two were definitely released as singles, they were just not publicised.

I think they need at least one MF of the Year from Dj. Just to give the illusion of success. But it has to be said the Guns I love is the pretty uncommercial side.

Edited by wasted

Short answer: No, because 'great songs' dont always capture the mainstream's attention, which is necessary for hits.

That said, he definitely needs to show he can write some good simple songs. He needs to get away from all that dark introspective shit he's been on forever. There's no way that can be stimulating any more. I Used to Love Her, You're Crazy, and One in a Million to me capture the Gnr sound. I think he needs Izzy.

*Fuck it, change my answer*: YES he needs big hit songs because the world is so desperate for music and a narrative right now I'm sure if Axl put something good out the world would jump all over it. Lesser known bands can write great songs and go unnoticed, but not Axl/GNR.

The title track was a pile of shit which may have had something to do with it selling like crap. The other two were definitely released as singles, they were just not publicised.

the title track is robin finck. isn't shit. axl just didn't promote it on radio or to the public. as for the other 2 robin songs.....they might have been available to purchase by the internet fanbase. but robin's songs after the title track which include "better" and "the blues" were not released publicly to general rock fans or the press. there's only 1 single released like previous guns n roses singles and that song was chinese democracy

the title track is robin finck. isn't shit. axl just didn't promote it on radio or to the public. as for the other 2 robin songs.....they might have been available to purchase by the internet fanbase. but robin's songs after the title track which include "better" and "the blues" were not released publicly to general rock fans or the press. there's only 1 single released like previous guns n roses singles and that song was chinese democracy

Err, no you're wrong! They were released to the general public both on CD single AND digital download. The title track was awful no matter who wrote it!

Edited by Dazey

Please tell me how Chinese Democracy and Street Of Dreams are Robin Finck songs!! :D

I see the danger in being that they release another dud track like Chinese Democracy as a single; thus further damaging the brand's reputation in America.

the collective YAWN about CD was indicative of so many things....lack of promotion chiefly...second the buying public NOW is the cihildren of the original fan base with instantaneous expectations to have access to the band...and reclusive means reclusive.......the other was it wasnt really that magnificent given the time and money it took to make it....it is and will remain largely a cult album...not a single song on CD will be played the way AFD and UYI were and are...

The" reputation" that is Axls saving grace was forged in 86 -93 by the legacy band, Like it or not as a concept but hes gonna bank on till the end and beyond.... hesproven that he doesnt have to have a hit to get headline status and pay...hes proven he doesnt need press to play. rather the shows sell out or not isnt even a concern because he gets his pay none the less. He doesnt have to play the fairs in USA like other 80's acts..his former band made them world class draws and promoters still bet on him having it all together enough to perform.

The band has a reason to forge on in light of the circumstances...as a musician id be miserable having to be a cover band for the rest of my career and being surrounded by the talent that GNR has would be frustrating not to get some recognition of my own for material i wrote and played on .....anything even it wasnt a "hit"

Please tell me how Chinese Democracy and Street Of Dreams are Robin Finck songs!! :D

This dude's either a cupcake, a really young kid or not a native English speaker. I've not quite figured out which yet but I'd recognise his posting style anywhere. He got banned from the other forum a number of times for spamming the hell out of the place with all this Finck rubbish and it seems he's not changed a bit since then. :shrugs:

on the chinese democracy record robin does the opening riff on the chinese democracy song. on the song chinese democracy robin does the solo. on street of dreams the EPIC guitar solo is robin finck. isn't buckethead. or bumblefoot. isn't dj ashba either. the title track chinese democracy and the blues are robin songs

Not critical. As has been said- Axl can more than get by on the classic material and being a freakish "living-legend" of sorts (don't know how else to put it- but it seems Axl is kind of begrudgingly respected by the general public as the last "real" rock star- yet no longer considered a vibrant creative force).

All that said- a couple "hit" songs on the Chinese follow-up sure wouldn't hurt. Not sure Axl's post-UYI style really lends itself to "hits" (particularly in this environment) though. We shall see...

Not critical. As has been said- Axl can more than get by on the classic material and being a freakish "living-legend" of sorts (don't know how else to put it- but it seems Axl is kind of begrudgingly respected by the general public as the last "real" rock star- yet no longer considered a vibrant creative force).

All that said- a couple "hit" songs on the Chinese follow-up sure wouldn't hurt. Not sure Axl's post-UYI style really lends itself to "hits" (particularly in this environment) though. We shall see...

living off classic material would cut mustard if slash, duff, izzy, and steven were in the band today

living off classic material would cut mustard if slash, duff, izzy, and steven were in the band today

Depends on your definition of "cut the mustard". GN'R is still a going-concern with plenty of economic viability (though by no means the MEGA act it once was)- particularly overseas. Also much of Axl's "aura" still appears to be alive and well. I admit that he probably would need to reunite with the old band at this point for GN'R to have any sort of realistic shot at being the biggest band in the world, etc.- but that doesn't appear to be what "cuts the mustard" for Axl. As long as the bills are paid, he's hanging out and playing with musicians he trusts and having fun traveling/touring the world, etc. he seems to be good...

Edited by AXL_N_DIZZY

Is it critical for Axl to have big hit songs on the next GNR record? I often wonder if that is the reason why CD II hasn't come out yet. Releasing another album without hit songs is sort of like advertising that you aren't really GNR, and it would likely serve to do nothing more than further depress concert ticket sales in the US.

No its not critical and IMO it wasnt critical for CD. CD was doomed for failure due to the constant delays and millions wasted on creating the album... All that matters is that the album makes money... As long as the next album cost a reasonable amount and sells decently it will be deemed a success to industry insiders. As fans or general population we deem success as #1 singles and platinum album sales while all that does point to success it isnt the only way to measure success. just like GnR touring the USA playing in front 5K fans a night may seem like a failure to a band that at one time filled stadiums but all that truly matters is was the tour profitable? BTW I would say this past tour was the most successful USA tour of the NuGuns era.

Arx -

Keep in mind also, it's not just about how many people go to the show, but also how much they pay to do so. GNR may do 5,000 in some US markets, 10,000 in others, and somewhere in between in the rest, but if a lot of those people are paying around $100 to go to the show, that is still a LOT of money being generated.

And then when you consider that it's GNR's worst market, and they're still able to generate that much, you start to realize how amazing it is that Axl has been able to rebuild things as well as he has.

Will it ever be what it was? No, of course not. Although honestly, even if the lineup had remained constant after the UYI tour, GNR would still inevitably have lost a lot of popularity over the years. Very few stay on top forever. GNR was a fad. It happens.

Very true... Take the Greenvile, SC show... I was talking with someone on GnR's crew and they told me about 3,500 tix were sold prior to show day. I was in town on business and bought a floor tix for $20 day of show. if the average ticket was $50 for the 3,500 thats 175K alone. then add in they probably sold about 2K more tix day of show at $20 thats another 40K... I would say on the low end they grossed 300K that day... not bad in Greenville, SC

Not really...there's so much ridicule around this band, no one would admit to liking that badass new GNR song on the radio anyway.

Really?

You need to surround yourself with better friends.

Nobody I know would be embarrased to say if they liked a song or not.

I don't get where this notion comes that most people ONLY like what some magic entity forces them to like. And that the entire population of journalists in the world have a secret society devoted to bashing Axl Rose.

If GnR puts out an ablum with radio friendly songs - then the average music fan will like it. You have to realize that 99.9% of the music fans in the world aren't obsessed with the band like people who post in the forum are.

Or who knows. Maybe I'm the only person who listens to a song before deciding if I like it or not. Whether it be Nickleback, Bon Jovi, Rhinana or Lady Gaga or whomever. To dislike a song simply because of who sings it ......I can't even imagine being that person. :crazy:

yea, that was one of the lesser attended shows on the tour and they still sold 4,590 for that event.

It was but I have to admit it was a great show though. Axl was in a great mood joking around with the guys throughout the show. Plus we got Out To Get Me. I personally hadn't heard that song live since 2006

The 01-02 verson of SOD could've been a big hit, but the album verson isn't very big. TWAT, Catcher, Prostitute, better, and probably even Scraped and IRS could've been big hits had they been released as single and advertised.

Yes, I feel that Axl needs a big hit to bring his ego up, and also to show the world what rock really is.