How would you feel about a one off orchestra-backed gig, with special guests?

KetchupNotMayo

Simply put, how would you react if GN'R announced a one off gig where they would be backed by a full orchestra?

What would you like to see them play in such an environment, who would you like to see Axl bring in as special guests on a song or two (inb4 old GN'R), where could the gig take place etc.?

I think it'd be a fantastic opportunity, if Axl would rehearse and get himself into full gear and fitness, for the band to run through the whole of Chinese Democracy as is on the album, with a selection of GN'R's biggest hits to follow and some curveball new material or cover songs to spice things up.

Imagine Guns bringing out Brian May to play his original solo for Catcher, Elton John joining them for Prostitute with an orchestra bulking out the sound, or David Bowie stepping up for something like to duet on a cover of Queen's Under Pressure. The General making its debut without any need for orchestration to be recreated by keyboards and synths?

Make most of the tickets available to fan club and forum members, then any leftovers divided 50/50 between press and public.

Thoughts?

Would be pretty awesome, Serj Tankian did that with the Auckland Philharmonic Orchestra a few years ago.

Would be cool to have it in a proper setting too, like a opera house or big town hall thing, where an orchestra would normally play.

Been bugging me for a while that I can't remember where I read this interview, but it was mid-2009 I think, and it was with this guy in an orchestra who said he was part of an orchestra that was going to go on the then-upcoming (post-)Chinese Democracy Tour. Would be awesome for songs like TIL/Prostitute from CD, and November Rain as well, but I wouldn't want them around for anything else.

Eh I can't imagine Guns N' Roses doing this past or present, IMO there isn't enough material to make orchestral orchestrations that would really be a benefit to the music. Maybe a show where there is an orchestra for a few songs in the middle or end of the set, but not a whole show

Now THAT would be a challenge I would like to see them rise to.

A one off?...if within reason (location etc.),I'd try my best to be there.

I think it would be amazing!

With all the effects and keyboards on Chinese Democracy, it would work.

Bowie's kind of gone Garbo, meaning he hasn't been photographed in a while. There was speculation that he was sick, Iman said he wasn't, he's just trying to maintain a low profile. She and Duncan Jones would know, and they both said he's good.

Now THAT would be a challenge I would like to see them rise to.

A one off?...if within reason (location etc.),I'd try my best to be there.

I think it would be amazing!

Perhaps a one off, or at the most something extremely restricted, along the lines of the original Wall tour by Pink Floyd. A few major cities in different countries across the world, pick wildly different venues so each show has its own 'vibe'.

Stick a whole bunch of great bands on in the build up, GN'R are bound to be late so build some momentum through the day to last the inevitable wait later on. Film it with every HD camera they can, hell even Imax if possible, and make sure the entire band is on top form, fully rehearsed and fit.

And instead of the myriad solos we usually get in a GN'R show, just have one long jam around the half way point, everyone but Axl up front and centre on stage, a bunch of acoustics and take requests from the front row.

This kind of thing would satisfy fans, record company (if the live album sold well, which undoubtedly it would) and hopefully get the press back onside if enough of an effort was put in by all involved.

Eh I can't imagine Guns N' Roses doing this past or present, IMO there isn't enough material to make orchestral orchestrations that would really be a benefit to the music. Maybe a show where there is an orchestra for a few songs in the middle or end of the set, but not a whole show

:sleeper:

November Rain, Estranged, Prostitute (with THAT outro), TWAT, If The World and Madagascar would be AWESOME!!

Yeah I would LOVE to hear those in an orchestral setting, but again more as a portion of the set rather than a whole show around the concept. I can only imagine how awesome NR and Prostitute would be with a full orchestral arrangement :thumbsup:

November Rain, Estranged, Prostitute (with THAT outro), TWAT, If The World and Madagascar would be AWESOME!!

Yeah I would LOVE to hear those in an orchestral setting, but again more as a portion of the set rather than a whole show around the concept. I can only imagine how awesome NR and Prostitute would be with a full orchestral arrangement :thumbsup:

:rolleyes:

:rofl-lol:

That would be really cool indeed! All the Chi Dem songs would be perfect for it, and other songs like NR, Estranged, Coma ++ would sound amazing.

I agree about Estranged but I dont think Coma would work at all. Imagine the last section with a full orchestra it would be too crazy, too much going on. I think an orchestra only works if it can add something interesting or improve on the original song. With coma its just perfect as it is with guitars.

That would be really cool indeed! All the Chi Dem songs would be perfect for it, and other songs like NR, Estranged, Coma ++ would sound amazing.

I agree about Estranged but I dont think Coma would work at all. Imagine the last section with a full orchestra it would be too crazy, too much going on. I think an orchestra only works if it can add something interesting or improve on the original song. With coma its just perfect as it is with guitars.

Yeah, I agree about the ending being too much if you add even more to it. But I thought it could be really interesting, as the song have so many different pieces. I'd love to hear it more siple than it is, but with an orchestra doing the extra..!