Do you think it was a mistake to add a horn section to the band for the UYI tour?

Madridista

Do you guys think Axl shouldn't have added the horn section to the band for the UYI tour? I don't know. I'd have rather seen the band perform with the usual 5 musicians instead of also having backup singers playing the trumpet and dancing. While I love GnR and UYI, I think it was not necessary and kinda stupid.

Any thoughts on this?

BTW, I abhor that part in the Live Era version of Move to the City when Axl introduces the band and they play a trumpet, horn and keyboard solo. It's always sounded to me like something you'd most likely find in a live album made by The Muppets.

Oh the horn section was absolutely disgusting. They destroyed "Move to the City." If I want horns, I will listen to some swinging Frank Sinatra tunes. I don't need horns in my GNR. Couple the horns with Traci and Roberta, Dizzy Reed, and Teddy Zig Zag minus Steven Adler and Izzy and you are left with a very, very watered down version of GNR. I am not sure exactly what they were thinking at the time. But you could see a very raw dangerous rock band become more watered down.

I don't know if it was a mistake or not, I can just tell you that personally for me, I felt like it took away from the Gn'R sound.

I'm not talking about Dizzy. I actually think he is cool, and was needed for some songs (and still is)

Just listen to the skin n' bones tour in 1993. It was powerful again imo.