8 reasons why Chinese Democracy stiffed

vaida

Sucks is too strong of a word. Sucks? No. Boring? Absolutely.

Yeah, you're right. It doesn't exactly suck. But it does suck having had to wait 15 years for an album that's just ok. :rofl-lol:

Especially when you had everyone close to the band calling it a masterpiece and saying it "rocks." It is definitely not a masterpiece and I'll take what Bach and the others say with a grain of salt from now on.

Yeah, you're right. It doesn't exactly suck. But it does suck having had to wait 15 years for an album that's just ok. :rofl-lol:

Especially when you had everyone close to the band calling it a masterpiece and saying it "rocks." It is definitely not a masterpiece and I'll take what Bach and the others say with a grain of salt from now on.

What is the band gonna say anyway? They're not gonna say Hey Axl, you made your fans wait 15 years for this? :rofl-lol:

Truth is I'm listening to Slash's eponymous album as I'm writing this, and man... it's 1000000 times better than CD. Catchy and with great hooks and solos :thumbsup: Someone should learn a thing or two :lol:

Edited by Madridista

I don't even listen to CD anymore. Every so often I will listen to CITR (May version) and some tracks from Rock In Rio 01. But in this time I have rediscovered a lot of great albums. Vulgar Display of Power and Cowboys from Hell piss on Chi Dem.

I don't even listen to CD anymore. Every so often I will listen to CITR (May version) and some tracks from Rock In Rio 01. But in this time I have rediscovered a lot of great albums. Vulgar Display of Power and Cowboys from Hell piss on Chi Dem.

Man, Pantera fucking rocks !!!! :thumbsup: ... but you can't really compare Pantera to GnR... two radically different styles :question:

What is the band gonna say anyway? They're not gonna say Hey Axl, you made your fans wait 15 years for this? :rofl-lol:

Truth is I'm listening to Slash's eponymous album as I'm writing this, and man... it's 1000000 times better than CD. Catchy and with great hooks and solos :thumbsup: Someone should learn a thing or two :lol:

But you post here more than you do in the Slash section.....why is that?

Music is subjective though. I love CD, enjoyed slash's solo album, and was bored to tears by both VR albums.

Yep Axl needs to learn a thing or two about putting out a mind-numbing boring stock standard Hard Rock album. I'm listening to Slash's latest and sadly that is just what it is. Unimaginative to say the least. But I'm Sorry for you, Not Sorry for me...

It didn't help that My Space had the whole thing up before it was released. For some bands, that's fine, but not something that was highly anticipated and steeped in mystique. People weren't exactly falling all over themselves to get a copy the way they did when Illusions came out.

"This I love" certainly had the potential to become a power ballad hit - it generates hugely positive reaction both in live gigs and also on youtube. Strangely enough Axl preferred to edit singles of more complex, less accessible music like Street of Dreams...go figure! :question:

Well the album was released 8 - 10 years late for starters. A lot of people didn't buy the album since it was leaked months earlier. In the USA, it wasn't the most accessible album because average fans that dont use these forums didnt even know it was released at an electronics store which isnt accessible by most people (should have went with Wal-Mart). A lot of the DJ's in the usa were expecting AFD2 and refused to play it. The funny thing is that I have noticed more air play over the years since it has been released by those very dj's that refused to play it. Chinese Democracy in the USA is a cult - album a lot like Aerosmith's Toys in the Attic. The thing is that only pop albums go away and die, the real deal has longevity. People may consider Chinese Democracy a flop but you don't hear the songs that were released around the same time as often as do as Better or other songs. Sure it isn't in heavy rotation like AFD.

Another thing is that Chinese Democracy world wide was #1 in many different countries at that time.

You know who could learn a thing or two? Slash. He doesn't seem to have learned anything in the last 20 years as far as his playing or songwriting. Guess it's easier to just cash in on the blues licks and milk the tophat/sunglasses image for all its worth.

At least Axl has authenticity when it comes to creativity. At least Axl has the balls to try something new.

Edited by Popcorn's Snare

The record didn't do well because Slash kissed people's asses to the point they wanted Chinese to fail..

I am a Dj, and I am in complete control of what's played on the radio. I play what I think is good and legit, Chinese isn't played because Slash isn't in GNR, he's done interviews with these Dj's whereas Axl hasn't, so they're biast against Axl.

I asked Rainman from Krock 100.9 WKRL if he'd play Chinese and he refused to play the song after he did the first time because Slash wasn't in it, and cuz he claimed the song wasn't good. The guy loves slash and didn't want to play a record because he too wanted the record to fail to put pressure on Axl to reunite with the old band.

Epic fail morons.

Your thinking is sort of correct. The record is not that well received because Slash did not play and have a say in the songs. But to think he "kissed ass" and that is why people dont like it? hahahahahahahahah

You know who could learn a thing or two? Slash. He doesn't seem to have learned anything in the last 20 years as far as his playing or songwriting. Guess it's easier to just cash in on the blues licks and milk the tophat/sunglasses image for all its worth.

At least Axl has authenticity when it comes to creativity. At least Axl has the balls to try something new.

I'm not interested in something new if it's not catchy or if it's boring. I don't care if Slash cashes in on the blues licks, I like his style and I think his albums are far more entertaining than CD. B) And entertaining is the most important factor here. I've listened to CD many times since it first came out, and I'm just NOT entertained by it. I'm not a cupcake, I really wanted to like it, being a fan of GnR just like you and everybody else here. but I just can't get into it. Granted, Slash's solo albums may not be masterpieces either, but I don't think he's ever set out to make a masterpiece in the first place, he just wants to write and play entertaining songs and that's what he's done. rock2

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/8-reasons-why-chinese-democracy-stiffed-185604

6. The tunes don't work for radio

On mainstream and classic rock stations where older Guns N' Roses songs receive regular rotation, Chinese Democracy's title track has flatlined. "I'm not talking about a bad reaction," says Gary Cee. "I'm talking no reaction! I only give it a few spins a week now. Meanwhile, people call and ask for November Rain, Civil War, Paradise City - the old stuff. This new record? Not one phone call." The Chinese Democracy single peaked at only #34 on Billboard's Hot 100 chart.

who is the master? who is the slave?

it's obvious why the chinese democracy record and song stiffed. no advance promotion or heavy promotion during its release by axl rose. bestbuy presented axl with a big promotion plan. before and after release. axl walked away from bestbuy and promotion of the record. chinese democracy stiffed. chinese democracy the song stiffed

note about the single, i told you it had little 2 no radio airplay. no promotion either. you're done without promotion

they had 14 yrs of build up for it