Remembering the Good ol' Days - 2010

AppetiteForGnR

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plain and simple. Weight loss, cardio, regular cover coaching and rehearsing will create the best voice possible. Axl aint no Hetfield. If he wants them golden notes, the ball's in his court. Just compare him to someone like Chris Cornell who clearly still looks after his voice and is only a half step behind his peak.

Just compare him to someone like Chris Cornell who clearly still looks after his voice and is only a half step behind his peak.

I am a huge Chris Cornell fan and I would have to say that Chris has lost more of his voice than Axl has. Chris has lost some range, or at least lost the ability to reach the highest notes, and he is also more wobbly at times, whereas Axl doesn't seem to have lost range at all, remarkably. What Axl has lost, though, or decided to not use very much, is the raspiness to his voice. In addition, he has lost some of the wildness and most shrieking aspect of his voice that he used to have, especially in 1985-1987. Both Chris and Axl's voices have thickened, especially in the lower registers, and I believe both of them have gained more control in that register as they have aged. Most of this is quite typical for maturing voices. What astounds me, though, Is Axl's ability to still reach those very high notes, something I miss from Chris (especially during Say Hello 2 Heaven).

Just compare him to someone like Chris Cornell who clearly still looks after his voice and is only a half step behind his peak.

I am a huge Chris Cornell fan and I would have to say that Chris has lost more of his voice than Axl has. Chris has lost some range, or at least lost the ability to reach the highest notes, and he is also more wobbly at times, whereas Axl doesn't seem to have lost range at all, remarkably. What Axl has lost, though, or decided to not use very much, is the raspiness to his voice. In addition, he has lost some of the wildness and most shrieking aspect of his voice that he used to have, especially in 1985-1987. Both Chris and Axl's voices have thickened, especially in the lower registers, and I believe both of them have gained more control in that register as they have aged. Most of this is quite typical for maturing voices. What astounds me, though, Is Axl's ability to still reach those very high notes, something I miss from Chris (especially during Say Hello 2 Heaven).

Agree, most aging singers (past their 40's) usually struggle to keep the same range and especially hit the higher notes. Axl still hits the higher notes, as good as ever - so no issues for him there.

The problem has basically to do with the more nasal voice (almost without rasp) that he uses nowadays much more often in the higher notes. Everywhere else he's just fine.

the camera didn't capture the raspiness, axl was sick, it was raining, beta and axl had a little fight before the show, bumblefoot forgot to take his pill, dj was still learning the chord progression, the crowd sucked, but still one of the best performances of estranged ever, way better than the UYI tour!!!!!111

the camera didn't capture the raspiness, axl was sick, it was raining, beta and axl had a little fight before the show, bumblefoot forgot to take his pill, dj was still learning the chord progression, the crowd sucked, but still one of the best performances of estranged ever, way better than the UYI tour!!!!!111

What are u talking about!? Estranged in 2010? :question:

It was raining inside the 02 arena? :lol:

What are u talking about!? Estranged in 2010? :question:

It was raining inside the 02 arena? :lol:

Rock in rio 2011 is a fucking disaster. Fuck 2011-2012 tour,long live 2010.Thats what i say,im tired of people saying that Axl is sounding great right now.HE IS NOT.

Lets talk about 2010.Please more videos!

sorry folks

2006>2010

Based on what exactly? Did you actually see the band in 2006 and 2010? I guess it's a matter of opinion, but if the question is over what tour Axl sounded like his old self from the AFD/UYI days, then 2010 is clearly the winner. You can say that you prefer Axl's voice in 2006, and he did have a great voice back then, but most people, as I do, preferred Axl's voice in 2010 because it was the closest he's sounded to his former glorious self back in the halcyon days of '87-'93.

Having seen them five times in 2006 and three times in 2010, it's my opinion that Axl sounded much better (and by better, I mean he sounded like the Axl on AFD/UYI than) in 2010. I've given my reasons, what's yours?

Cheers,

Andrew

WTTJ Rotterdam 2012

Sounds good and he looks fit, energetic and cool. The audience is having so much fun, they could not care less if there was 3% more or less rasp:

I like this cleaner voice and I like the raspy voice. The only time I think he had obvious trouble with his voice was that US concert when he had the flu.

If the cleaner voice means he can sing easier and keep on singing until the old age, then I prefer the cleaner voice, I might in any case as the power of the clean voice is quite magnetic.

2010 was very consistent and generally better than 2006 which had some great shows and then shitty shows (like Rock in Rio 2006).

Rock In Rio always seems to be mixed by a monkey with no ears too, so that certainly does not help the performance, even if it was weaker. Compare to Rock Am Ring which had much better sound.

2010 was very consistent and generally better than 2006 which had some great shows and then shitty shows (like Rock in Rio 2006).

Rock In Rio always seems to be mixed by a monkey with no ears too, so that certainly does not help the performance, even if it was weaker. Compare to Rock Am Ring which had much better sound.

i guess mixing 8 different instruments is no easy task, same thing happens to slipknot, it's amazing how bad they sound in live broadcasts, specially rock in rio.

I wish he would quit doing shows until he gets his 2010 voice back. 14 Years in London was just sad.

You mad? Sure he sang it without rasp but he sounded great, especially night 2.

Nah, I'm just disappointed that he hasn't got his voice back to the 2010 level yet.